Monaghan Forum

Div 1 2015

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Heard monaghan were kept in dressing rooms for 45 minutes after match on Sunday strong word said you would imagine

prideof85 (Monaghan) - Posts: 763 - 03/03/2015 20:04:13    1698939

Link

Yes the lack of discipline really cost us on Sunday. I know the ref was poor but the lads really need to keep the heads.
These games are hard enough with 15 v 15, but going down 1 or 2 men leaves us with no chance.
Kieran Hughes was also lucky not to get a red card, but he was probably our best player on the day.
A good performance by Daniel McKenna also, 2 super points from play, I was a bit surprised to see him taken off.
Was reading in the Irish Independent today (also on this page) that McManus is having ongoing problems with his hip....don't like the sound of that to be honest, hope it's nothing too serious.

Monagael (Monaghan) - Posts: 99 - 03/03/2015 21:57:31    1698997

Link

Considering who we have missing I would probably go with something like this

Beggan. Boyle. Wylie. Kelly. Mone. Corey. O'Connell. D Hughes. McAdam. K Hughes. Finlay. McAnespie. Malone. McKenna. McManus or Kerr

That is assuming Darren Hughes will be fully fit to start of course. The problem arises when we need to make changes during the game though.

Tim_NicebutDim (Monaghan) - Posts: 330 - 04/03/2015 15:35:11    1699179

Link

upermon
County: Monaghan

I'm sorry Rawdog, if I was able to decipher what it is you are actually saying then I would be in a position to respond. Please take some time to formulate a logical argument.

Supermon what I said was straight forward enough for most people to understand. But because I am a nice guy I will break it down for you and I won't use big words ;-). Monaghan are in decline their last five or more games have been bad they need to change now not when we're back down in division three because that will only set us back years. We have some great Monahan Gaa men at the moment and some great young underage players coming true the system that can really bring this young Monaghan team to greater heights. Trust me in a few years we will be challenging not for division tree or two League titles but for all Ireland's but it needs to be done now
And as for your Bernard Dunne comment he wasn't with them in 2011 when they won Sam our very own Professor Moyna was + he's a DUB :-)

RawDog (Monaghan) - Posts: 83 - 04/03/2015 15:57:40    1699189

Link

Rawdog, I have no doubt in my mind that if we made the changes you suggest we would be going one way and that is south. As far as I can see, since the current managment took over we have been on the up. I see no reason to change at the moment.

supermon (Monaghan) - Posts: 1071 - 04/03/2015 16:50:20    1699210

Link

upermon

I'm sorry Rawdog, if I was able to decipher what it is you are actually saying then I would be in a position to respond. Please take some time to formulate a logical argument.

Supermon obviously I totally disagree with you so we can just agree to disagree and I will say no more about this topic for now and will revisit it towards the end of this summer. And if I'm wrong I will put my hands up. and boy do I really hope I am wrong

RawDog (Monaghan) - Posts: 83 - 04/03/2015 17:16:28    1699222

Link

Safe trip on Sunday guys. Have a feeling this wont be the last time we meet this year. Ulster's big two':).
I know yous are depleted but for some reason , yous wont fear us : never do.

TheRightStuff (Donegal) - Posts: 1688 - 04/03/2015 17:17:57    1699223

Link

@Rawdog sure why not revisit the manager sacking question at the end of every year just after we get beaten in the championship, eventually we will all agree with you and you will be proven right! You have said that we have not played well in the last 5 matches , so taking the last 5 matches of any importance, lets look at that.. Monaghan v Kildare: one of the best matches of the year and we pulled through with pure guts.. Monaghan V Dublin: Neck and neck (and Monaghan were getting the better scores) up until the 20th minute when Colin Walshe got injured and Dublin exploited this weakness with a 8 point run in 7 minutes, the game was over not because of the manager but because a player insisted on staying on the field when he wasn't fit to play. Monaghan V Tyrone: went down by 7 points and came back to completely control Tyrone at their home ground. Monaghan V Cork. the second half goals killed us, but only lost by 1 point and should have won or drawn the game. Monaghan V Mayo.. was always a tough match but discipline lost the day, here the manager should have better control over his players and this should not happen again. so all in all. It's not that bad of a record.. hardly reason for calling of his sacking..

Farney (Monaghan) - Posts: 742 - 05/03/2015 09:11:05    1699331

Link

Farney

Farney, you are a pint half full type of guy.... I have said in this forum that Monaghan will struggle to get another win under their belts in this league. So far I'm being proved correct. Mayo and Cork proved too strong and I can only see a win for Donegal this weekend. I do think Monaghan have a good side but they do not have the experience to grind out the results in Division one football and might well find themselves in a relegation battle alongside Derry.

cacsmckilly (Tyrone) - Posts: 1294 - 05/03/2015 10:34:34    1699356

Link

@Rawdog sure why not revisit the manager sacking question at the end of every year just after we get beaten in the championship, eventually we will all agree with you and you will be proven right! You have said that we have not played well in the last 5 matches , so taking the last 5 matches of any importance, lets look at that.. Monaghan v Kildare: one of the best matches of the year and we pulled through with pure guts.. Monaghan V Dublin: Neck and neck (and Monaghan were getting the better scores) up until the 20th minute when Colin Walshe got injured and Dublin exploited this weakness with a 8 point run in 7 minutes, the game was over not because of the manager but because a player insisted on staying on the field when he wasn't fit to play. Monaghan V Tyrone: went down by 7 points and came back to completely control Tyrone at their home ground. Monaghan V Cork. the second half goals killed us, but only lost by 1 point and should have won or drawn the game. Monaghan V Mayo.. was always a tough match but discipline lost the day, here the manager should have better control over his players and this should not happen again. so all in all. It's not that bad of a record.. hardly reason for calling of his sacking..

Farney (Monaghan) - Posts: 742 - 05/03/2015 11:49:04    1699391

Link

Farney

@Rawdog sure why not revisit the manager sacking question at the end of every year just after we get beaten in the championship, eventually we will all agree with you and you will be proven right! You have said that we have not played well in the last 5 matches , so taking the last 5 matches of any importance, lets look at that.. Monaghan v Kildare: one of the best matches of the year and we pulled through with pure guts.. Monaghan V Dublin: Neck and neck (and Monaghan were getting the better scores) up until the 20th minute when Colin Walshe got injured and Dublin exploited this weakness with a 8 point run in 7 minutes, the game was over not because of the manager but because a player insisted on staying on the field when he wasn't fit to play. Monaghan V Tyrone: went down by 7 points and came back to completely control Tyrone at their home ground. Monaghan V Cork. the second half goals killed us, but only lost by 1 point and should have won or drawn the game. Monaghan V Mayo.. was always a tough match but discipline lost the day, here the manager should have better control over his players and this should not happen again. so all in all. It's not that bad of a record.. hardly reason for calling of his sacking.

RawDog
Well done Farney I see you're a blame it all on the players man. That damn all star Colin Walshe letting us get trashed by 15 points by Dublin. They should never let him play for Monaghan again. Noting to do with the fact we let Dublin win every kick out, nothing to do with the fact the players looked dejected from the start, nothing to do with the changes that weren't made fast enough or not at all that day No it was that damn all Star Walsh. Before that there was the Ulater Final again changes weren't made on time or not at all. Kildare yes we were good but just look at Kildare now and before the game.The Cork game we were four points ahead 2 our 3 different times and let them back into it. Again the management didn't act in time.The Tryone game we caught them cold. And finally the Mayo game the manager should have more discipline and control over his players but he obviously doesn't and + they were all over the place for large parts of that game so therefore it's the manager's fault that they lost the game against Mayo whom incidentally have a new management in place after losing the semi final last year to the all Ireland Champions Kerry there was no time wasting there. But yes the players have to take some responsibility too. But that is why I believe that Melky has taken this team as far as he can take them and done a great job in the process but it's time for change at the end of the Championship. Just look at All Ireland winning teams over the last number of years when it comes to changing the managers they don't waste time and that is why they are successful.

RawDog (Monaghan) - Posts: 83 - 05/03/2015 13:28:46    1699441

Link

I can only assume this Rawdog lad is trolling - the stuff he is putting forward is beyond any logic.........

PearseBro (Monaghan) - Posts: 454 - 05/03/2015 14:29:40    1699461

Link

Rawdog, you are taking observations of the GAA and using them to make a skewd shortsighted argument. In doing so you end up contradicting yourself. Sean Boylan, this 'hurler' who took over was in the job in Meath for years. You seem to think that we should take two men who are not exactly GAA men to the core, more academics in sports science, and put them in charge of the county team because thats what Meath footballers did with a hurler? Terrible argument. Anyway last time i checked I did't see Meath on the Roll of Honour for the League, Leinster or All Ireland every year that Boylan was with them. I'm sure he lost a fair few games in February and March, yet the county had faith in him.

Now you suggest that we should change things up every few years because thats what the big teams are doing. Well I'm sure Dublin didn't get rid of Gilroy, he left of his own accord. If you were in charge of things in Kerry, Fitzmaurice would have been gone at the start of last season. Maybe Donegal should have dumped McGuinness for dropping to Div 2 in 2013?

So what is it Rawdog? Should we find two men to become the next Boylan in Monaghan keep them there for 20 years? Or should we keep changing things up every time we or they go through a bad patch? I'm confused.

supermon (Monaghan) - Posts: 1071 - 05/03/2015 15:02:53    1699479

Link

PearseBro

I can only assume this Rawdog lad is trolling - the stuff he is putting forward is beyond any logic.........

RawDog
No PearseBro not trolling just a realist look it up in the dictionary ;-).I see you have made a big contribution to this topic

RawDog (Monaghan) - Posts: 83 - 05/03/2015 15:20:14    1699486

Link

What about the game on Sunday lads I have a feeling monaghan will beat Donegal on Sunday

prideof85 (Monaghan) - Posts: 763 - 05/03/2015 18:05:55    1699560

Link

I would be confident that we can beat Donegal at home, thew only problem is what team will line out due to injuries etc.

Muineachain76 (Monaghan) - Posts: 180 - 05/03/2015 20:14:02    1699606

Link

Keep it going Rawdog, eventually you will be right.. Last year we got promoted to Division one, got to an Ulster final and won our very first match in Croke Park in an all Ireland series and you want to sack a manager after 3 leagues matches.. I love the way we caught Tyrone on the hop!! You must be a troll..

Farney (Monaghan) - Posts: 742 - 05/03/2015 20:23:32    1699611

Link

I'd be a bit worried about Conor McManus carrying an injury this early in the year. As far as I remember he had a hip operation a few years ago and a few players have had their careers cut short with similar injuries. I'd be happier if he sat out a few games rather than play him if there's any doubt, regardless of the outcome as regards relegation. It's also a good chance for Daniel McKenna to continue his good form. I'm expecting a massive reaction from the team for this game but whether they can carry it through for the whole 70 minutes will show us more about how the team is set at the moment. Another bad loss and some doubts about whether further progress can be made may start to filter in to the team, which would be a pity because there is a lot of talent there. Midfield though is still the major problem for me. Surely there is someone from the last few U21 teams who could fill the role, other counties have manufactured midfielders. McAdam is a good blocking centre back, it's asking too much for him to play against the top midfielders in the country. If Monaghan are going to play players out of position at midfield then at least they should pick players with the height for the job.

rcarragh (Dublin) - Posts: 299 - 05/03/2015 22:00:14    1699664

Link

Farney

Keep it going Rawdog, eventually you will be right.. Last year we got promoted to Division one, got to an Ulster final and won our very first match in Croke Park in an all Ireland series and you want to sack a manager after 3 leagues matches.. I love the way we caught Tyrone on the hop!! You must be a troll..

RawDog
Good man Farney you just keep repeating yourself have you anything more productive to add to this debate or are you just going to keep repeating yourself
As for being a troll if being a forward thinking realist who sees a problem and wants to debated it is your definition of a troll."THEN I'm a troll
Last year yes we got promoted but then lost the ulster final beat a Kildare team that's in freefall and got hammered by 15 points in the quarterfinal.Now in this years league we threw away the Cork game and got hammered Mayo.Compared to the year before when we also got promoted won the Ulster final
And was very unlucky against Tryone help by some brutal refereeing decisions in the quarterfinal and that my friend is not progression
"REALIST" have who ever is helping you write these posts look it up in the dictionary ;-)

RawDog (Monaghan) - Posts: 83 - 06/03/2015 08:56:35    1699677

Link

Rawdog, I remember getting hammered in Division 3 by Cavan in 2013. Luckily we didn't take you attitude that year.

supermon (Monaghan) - Posts: 1071 - 06/03/2015 10:08:44    1699700

Link