Monaghan Forum

Div 1 2015

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

don't know if anyone agrees with me but personally I think today is the reality check that supporters need and maybe some players as well..

i seen people at the match today that wouldn't have been in a match in years and jumping on the bandwagon saying were going to beat the dubs! were in the top 5 but a long long way of the dubs but then again so is 99% of the teams! an ulster title is our sam Maguire which i am fully convinced we will win..

mick2007 (Monaghan) - Posts: 280 - 05/04/2015 19:59:48    1710951

Link

Supermon and mick, yes i would agree with you. Hardcore, you're a bit doom and gloom on this one I think. O ' Rourkes approach all year ( and before that too), has been that a bad game doesn't turn us into no-hopers, and a win doesn't turn us into world beaters. A bit of perspective. We finished 3rd in division 1. If anyone had offered us that a few years ago, we would have taken their arm off. Are we as good as Dublin? No. Are there many teams who are? No. Would we like to think we could have been close to them than we were today? Yes, but it didn't go that way. Let's not press the panic button. I have no doubt that today is not going to ruin our year. We have achieved a lot over the past few years, and I don't see any reason why we can't be confident of another good run in the championship. Very few good things from today, but Ryan Wylie again was excellent. Btw...did I see Colin Walshe wearing 27, in the warm up?

moodoo (Monaghan) - Posts: 400 - 05/04/2015 20:19:55    1710971

Link

Agreed, R Wylie was my man of the match, well for Monaghan at least. Yes Colin Walshe was togged out.

supermon (Monaghan) - Posts: 1071 - 05/04/2015 20:53:49    1711002

Link

We need as supporters to relax a little because next week we could shift a heavier defeat its not the end of the world Donegal v mayo 2013 Donegal came back to win ulster tyrone last week hammered then drew v kerry this week we need to be a bit more resilient in defeat what we seen today will be possibly the all Ireland winners as they were absolutely crackling today.on fire all over the field

prideof85 (Monaghan) - Posts: 763 - 05/04/2015 20:53:58    1711003

Link

We saw today where the bar is at and how far we are off it. Great to be in semi final but unfortunately another hammering awaits next Sunday unless we seriously park the bus next week in a big way. We will get serious abuse for it but I don't care. The last thing this side needs is another hiding this side of the championship. We need to at least regain some respect next weekend. Problem for Monaghan is now we are at top table it's a different days crack from playing teams like Meath and Kildare. We have to learn how to compete properly and cut our cloth accordingly.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1520 - 05/04/2015 21:07:03    1711019

Link

Hard to know why Doengal and Tyrone thrive when playing Dublin yet Monaghan cant get near them. Even Derry last week. Personally I think Monaghan would have been better off out of the league rather than face a hiding next Sunday.

222 (UK) - Posts: 536 - 05/04/2015 21:07:13    1711020

Link

Monaghan didnt show up today dublin got a lightening start and we where playing catch up. How many scores came from monaghan mistakes? quite a lot. Monaghan players heads dropped and dublin ran away easily. Far too many players didnt perform bar Darren Hughes and Beggan. Monaghan can't be as bad next week dublin kicked minimal wides but as Donegal and Derry have shown when dublins under pressure their shot selection can become poor. Monaghan will learn a hell of a lot more than the dubs will. I hope the large monaghan support makes there way to croker again next sunday. On another note its seems black cards only apply to Monaghan yet again, Thought deegan had a inconsistant game as usual.

shaggylegend (Monaghan) - Posts: 1854 - 05/04/2015 21:57:29    1711069

Link

A disappointing day for Monaghan yesterday. We lacked our usual bite and hunger. Reminded me of some of the pastings we got from Armagh and Tyrone in the 2000s. For me Karl O'Connell really stood up and carried the game to Dublin. His runs broke down a lot as there was no one else in support. Ryan Wylie, Darren Hughes and Beggan were the other players who had a reasonable game. We needed to get a performance yesterday, if we had kept it to 3-4 points you could take a lot from it. Dublin did the same to Donegal in first twenty mins of Semi-Final last year, but Donegal stuck with it. If you really put it up to Dublin and get a bit of luck with the score board then they have weaknesses. This is a big step up for Monaghan, Dublin are going to be the team to beat this year. We need everyone to be in top of their game and to have a belief that if we perform for the entire seventy minutes and keep chipping away at it, Dublin can be beaten. Well done to the team on retaining division 1 status, the bar is being set higher and higher now...Monaghan perform best when our backs are to the wall and we are being underestimated. Hopefully the few days away will cleat the heads and help the lads have a good cut at Dublin for seventy minutes in Croker. To be playin in a Division 1 semi-final is a huge achievement and every supporter worth their salt should be there and sticking with the boys when they need a bit of a lift.

T1000 (Monaghan) - Posts: 60 - 06/04/2015 09:50:42    1711094

Link

I have to agree shaggy. I'm not saying that the Dubs were not full value for their win, they were excellent. But we didn't put in a shift either. Handling errors and really poor shooting were evident. The players in my view went into that game nervous and the game was lost before the ball was even thrown in. In reflection yesterday wasn't that we were safe or we knew we would probably be in the semis, yesterday was a result of pure fear of Dublin.

I don't know why 15 Monaghan men who have no fear of donegal have such fear of Dublin, yet 15 Donegal men can go to Croke park in August and beat the Dubs.

I'm not asking for a win or anything but I think Monaghan owe it to themselves to put in a performance next week.

supermon (Monaghan) - Posts: 1071 - 06/04/2015 09:58:56    1711096

Link

Sounds like yous didn't turn up yesterday lads but I'd expect a response from yous next week. Dublin can do that to a team on their day. The way to beat Dublin is to deny them time to make decisions and do it for 70+ minutes. Derry did 80% 9 days ago but you have to finish it cos Dublin also have a strong fresh bench. Some days you just don't perform much like we didn't against yous in Letterkenny.
As regards how we best them. Belief. You need that belief in Croke Park in August. Beating Kerry in the quarter final of 2012 was our watershed and we have had the belief since. You just need that big win.
Congrats on keeping your div 1 status.

Tir Conaill Abu (Donegal) - Posts: 1636 - 06/04/2015 11:13:17    1711128

Link

Hope your fans come out and support your boys on sunday. Yesterday was a poor showing but they for the most part have been fantastic this year, Dont let one poor performance get you down, come down and support your lads.

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13598 - 06/04/2015 13:25:58    1711212

Link

Well i must have been at a different match yesterday then some of use!

Firstly to think that getting beaten by 17 points last August,and 11 points yesterday by the same county is not going to have an impact on our team is very naive thinking on some of our supporters behalf......

Yes we have come up from Division 3 but remember we dropped from Division 1 with most of these players.......

Yesterday was our chance to see what we can do against one of the best,Close up the shop leave Conor on the square on his own and fustrate Dublin just like Derry had done the week before.

Give them a game,if we lost by 5,6,so what, at least we competed and it is still only the league!

Instead we had no plan, no clue, and no hope of getting near them, and more worrying we looked worse than we did last August which doesnt look good for the year ahead!

Now the team are gone on a training camp for the week,wont be back until Saturday then have to face the Dubs again in Croke Park on Sunday all adds up to another heavy defeat........

This is not the preperation we need for the Cavan match in 7 weeks time, were i still believe we will win,i just hope the players believe it too and dont get it into their heads that they are wasting their time, as this is as far as they can go.

I didnt expect us to beat Dublin but i did expect us to get alot closer to them

We have done very well to stay up and compete but are we able to take the next step and beat a big gun in August? Id love to say yes but on yesterdays showing its hard too.

hardcore (Monaghan) - Posts: 1366 - 06/04/2015 16:30:12    1711310

Link

Taking nothing away from Dublin, they were excellent and Monaghan simply didn't show what they are capable of but thought the referee was so inconsistent. Dublin should have been down to 14 before Dessie got his Black Card. How both Dublin guys got off without a card for hauling down Duffy and Corey when bearing down on goal was embarrassing for the ref.

supp01 (Monaghan) - Posts: 156 - 06/04/2015 17:42:12    1711328

Link

Big match this Sunday. Monaghan need to salvage some pride after yesterday as another hiding will damage confidence.Have never said on here that we were going to win the all ireland or even believed we were top 4. Think at best on a good day we are in top 5 or 6 teams in country and depending on draw could make a semi final but we are a hell of a lot better than we showed yesterday. Not sure what mindset of players is going in against the Dubs. Is it we ain't going to win so why bother getting struck in hence the men against boys matches that have resulted. If that is the case then we are in serious trouble and there is no ambition outside competing in ulster. Am hoping team reacts next Sunday and show more of what left them third in Div 1 this year as they owe it to themselves to give their best against the best and at least see how far off they actually are.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1520 - 06/04/2015 19:38:54    1711377

Link

Monaghan lads definitely have an uphill battle against the dubs on Sunday but the more we play them the management must tactically choose a game plan to optimise our chances. I think the defeat on clones might serve us well as the match this Sunday the boys should be pumped and ready to leave blood nd guts to gain some pride and respect from the dubs. I heard the lads were supposed to be going on holidays this week, not 100% sure but I imagine it will be postponed till league is over. Well deserved holiday though.

fairplayfan (Monaghan) - Posts: 60 - 07/04/2015 12:01:36    1711545

Link

Don't think it's holidays, it's a training week in Portugal.

supermon (Monaghan) - Posts: 1071 - 07/04/2015 16:44:52    1711707

Link

So Part 2 is this Sunday. What should Monaghan be looking for in this game. Well firstly get closer to Dublin and give them a tougher game. We are in bonus territory at this stage of the league but we don't need another poor performance and big defeat. A good sign last week was Colin Walsh participating in the full warm up. A twenty minute run out before the championship would be a welcome boost though I suppose there is that fine line of coming back too quick. Also hopefully Gollogly has recovered from whatever kept him out of the last 2 games as I think his workrate sets the standard for those around him. And maybe get Doogan on the field at some stage too as he may help around the midfield area. Lets hope that a week can make a big differrence.

Tim_NicebutDim (Monaghan) - Posts: 329 - 08/04/2015 11:14:19    1711950

Link

So what do we do different in the next match against Dublin and how did we let Dublin get so far in front of us last week.. Starting at the Goalkeeper, the first 4,5 kick outs went out into the middle of the field and Dublin won these through clean catches or knockdowns and then attacked us with pace while we were spread out across the field, we were very poor in this area and I think that we will be in this area because we don't have high fielders in midfield, Dublin played with a sweeper so we did have a spare man at the back so short kick outs should be easy possession for us so that is what we need to do and mix it up a few times with kicking the ball over midfield into Kieran Hughes coming from deep in the forwards. Positional changes to help here would be to bring in Gavin Doogan for Neil mcAdam, he provides a better screen for stopping Dublin attacks and Neil's fielding was out caught by the Dublin midfielders, ideally if we had Eoin Lennon back playing then this would again be an option for us but it's not at the moment.
The Defence got caught out time and time again by the Dublin attack running into our screen, laying the ball off and then returning the ball to the attacker who was gone through the screen and space was now in front of him to shoot.. we need to run with the runner, he can't be allowed to receive the ball and have no pressure exerted on him.
Up front, Manzi had more pressure on him than in any game he has played this year.. ROC was excellent on him and he was often double and treble marked... we need a better alternative in there and while I didn't travel to Kerry, I'm not convinced with Owen Duffy, he's not busy enough and does not need much attention, he scored 2 points on Sunday, the first one was when his marker won the ball and played it out and was blocked into Owen's path.. The second point was a good score. From what I've seen of Daniel McKenna, I think he is a better option and I'd like to see him start.
Finally we need to keep all our best players on the pitch. Johnny Cooper was like a wrecking ball on Sunday running into our players and rising them, he started on Dessie before the game even started.. he has to be handled by not stepping back but not letting him get into the heads of our players.
PS I was on the stand side so I missed why Dessie got his card, what happened?

Farney (Monaghan) - Posts: 741 - 08/04/2015 14:29:03    1712090

Link

Agree with a lot of Farneys points. Last Sunday was a valuable lesson. No point in heads dropping over a final round league match, but it gives the whole setup a real shot of reality before championship time kicks in. Any hint of complacency, if that were possible before a trip to Breffni, should be now gone..

Anyway, the good news is we get to do it all again on Sunday. 4-5 things did for the team last time- lack of tracking runners from Dublins HB line, running into heavy traffic and turning over ball, losing breaks under kickouts, lack of a real alternative scoring threat to McManus, and an outbreak of DCS (Dick Clerkin Syndrome i.e. poor shot selection). I'm not delusional enough to expect any sort of reversal of result within 7 days, but if Monaghan show progress on these areas it would be enough for now.

I'd let Finlay and ODuffy sit this one out, their lack of pace was exposed a few times last time out. Bring in Daniel McKenna and McAnespie in up top, see what they can do. Mone and Corey either side of Kelly @ half back. I'd like to see McAdam at centre half but we have no alternative in midfield and he need the game time there. Half forwards Malone, Hughes and O'Connell to put in a shift. Gollogly and Doogan McKenna as fresh legs when needed. No black cards, no injuries, no complaints.

ps These lads gave us one of Monaghan's best ever away victories in Tralee a couple of weeks back- they deserve plenty of support in Croke Park

Eddie the Exile (Monaghan) - Posts: 746 - 08/04/2015 15:28:25    1712125

Link

DCS (Dick Clerkin Syndrome i.e. poor shot selection)

Good one Eddie, best laugh I've had all week!

turkeyplucker (UK) - Posts: 137 - 08/04/2015 16:00:22    1712148

Link