Monaghan Forum

Div 1 2015

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

It's all media crap talk I never pass any remarks on it, it's all about the 2pts in the bag which were very sweet.. Hopefully another 2pts this sun and then we can push for a semi final spot.

I agree with previous posts Kieran should cut out the nonsense that is creeping into his game and gIve the irish news a rest for a change, looks like her could be taking dicks position as media spokesman for the team..

mick2007 (Monaghan) - Posts: 280 - 12/03/2015 21:30:55    1702177

Link

I'm liking the forward line , especially the full forward line

MonaghanGlory (Monaghan) - Posts: 702 - 13/03/2015 14:51:13    1702342

Link

A one point win on sunday will do me....it will be another tough Ulster match with no inch giving.Hopefully ALL THE PLAYERS will ignore any media comments and go out and play their best for the jersey,as they have done this past few years.

Massive game brillant chance to stay up which will bring on everybody for the future.........

hardcore (Monaghan) - Posts: 1366 - 13/03/2015 21:43:30    1702434

Link

Yes, tough one for sure tomorrow. Derry are pretty much relegated if they lose, so no shortage of motivation for them. They pushed Mayo all the way last weekend, let nobody think this will be an easy 2 points. Would be great to get to 6 points tomorrow, there mightn't be too many points picked up in the last 2 games.

moodoo (Monaghan) - Posts: 400 - 14/03/2015 12:44:09    1702495

Link

Great performance today, some of the point taking was superb. Dessie in particular deserves a special mention, 4 points from defence is some haul!

That combined with the Donegal and Tyrone results means the league is looking good for us right now as far as survival is concerned. In the mix for semi spots at this stage!

patk (Monaghan) - Posts: 875 - 15/03/2015 16:53:43    1702892

Link

Great performance I don't think so. Thought Monaghan played nothing like they can. Derry shot a fortune of wides. We had the rub of the green with the disallowed goal. We will take but a need for improvement for the last two but happy to get the points.

shaggylegend (Monaghan) - Posts: 1854 - 15/03/2015 17:27:32    1702920

Link

if we finish on level points with donegal and tyrone ,will the head to head results come into play first or will it be points differece?..
if its head to head then we are safe unless donegal and tyrone ends in a draw in two weeks..

thehut (Monaghan) - Posts: 33 - 15/03/2015 18:11:12    1702953

Link

Will be interesting to see if Monaghan can take a scalp from of a non ulster team in the last few games. I think scoring difference comes into effect rather than head to head.

222 (UK) - Posts: 536 - 15/03/2015 19:03:38    1702991

Link

Awful match but a wins a win,We seemed to be in 2nd gear all day,slow laboured build up did not help.

We got lucky with the goal,were i was sitting it did look like the ball crossed the line before the Derry player palmed it to the net.

Dessie Mone was brilliant,the most underated halfback in the country......

Six points now with 2 games to go,Our best bet for more points is to go to Tralee and go for the win,treat it like a championship match if we get a good start down there then we can go blanket defence and pick Kerry off on the break.

Easier said than done but we can do it.

hardcore (Monaghan) - Posts: 1366 - 15/03/2015 19:09:12    1703003

Link

If 3 teams finish level on points then score difference comes in.

If 2 teams finish level on points then head to head comes in.If those 2 teams drew their match against each other then score difference comes in.

We need Donegal and Tyrone NOT TO DRAW...........but id rather if we won one of our final 2 games.

hardcore (Monaghan) - Posts: 1366 - 15/03/2015 19:26:57    1703017

Link

Some of the team listings (e.g. RTE) have Dessie Mone listed at half-forward, did he play in the forward line?

From GAA.ie:

Where Counties finish with Equal Points - extract from (Riail 6.20 T.O. 2014):
"...........the tie shall be decided by the following means and in the order specified: (
i) Where two Teams only are involved - the outcome of the meeting of the two Teams in the previous game in the Competition;
(ii) Scoring Difference (subtracting the total Scores Against from total Scores For);
(iii) Highest Total Score For;
(iv) A Play-Off.

So if it's a 3 way (or more) scoring difference...

rcarragh (Dublin) - Posts: 299 - 15/03/2015 19:29:57    1703024

Link

Dessie was simply brilliant today, prob best wing back in the country in my opinion, and head and shoulders above a certain Dublin wing back winning allstar in 2014. He played as spare man at the back for most of the afternoon. I think, rcarragh, positions on a team-sheet are simply academic in Ulster these day. Some fantastic points from play. Some poor free taking, prob should have been a few more ahead. I thought Ryan and Drew were very good, and again I have to mention two unsung heroes in the Monaghan set up, Karl O'Connell and Dermot Malone. O'Connell has serious pace and Malone has an unreal engine getting up and down the pitch.

Obviously work has been done on the point taking from play esp McManus and Finlay. I think Kelly kicked 2 also. Its great when wing backs can contribute 6 points!

Again we need to start finding the net more often. We were unlucky with a chance coming of the post.

We have given ourselves a great chance. If we can get something from final two games that would be fantastic.

supermon (Monaghan) - Posts: 1071 - 15/03/2015 20:12:10    1703059

Link

Fair point shaggy, I was being generous with great performance. Great result is more what I was getting at.

patk (Monaghan) - Posts: 875 - 15/03/2015 20:12:10    1703060

Link

Dessie seemed to start off in the half forward line !!
Go down and give Kerry a good game there then take on the Dubs in Clones,
seemed like there was a great atmosphere in the stand today

MonaghanGlory (Monaghan) - Posts: 702 - 15/03/2015 20:24:01    1703068

Link

Impressive scoring today, (14 of the 15 points from play)
Dessie was unreal and some great points from play also from Mc Manus, Jap, K.Hughes and F.Kelly.
Compared to last Sunday against Donegal however, we were not near as tight defensively, I thought Derry got in for some handy scores.
Had it not been for the disallowed goal and some wayward shooting, it could have been a very nervy finish for us.

Cork beating Tyrone today could to turn out be a significant result for us.
The way the league is panning out however, it's quite possible that 3 teams could finish on equal points, so scoring difference could be crucial if the head to head results don't come into play.
It would be brilliant to pick up 1 more point from the last 2 games, but if not then we have to still compete for every minute to obtain the best scoring difference we can achieve. Every single point scored or conceded in the next 2 games could be significant if it comes down to scoring difference.

Monagael (Monaghan) - Posts: 99 - 15/03/2015 21:27:00    1703141

Link

Dessie and Conor both class yesterday.... I thought Karl was exceptional too, really ran at Derry and caused them a lot of problems.... Malone has to be one of the most underrated footballers in the country, he wins serious hard, dirty ball, no fear in him whatsoever- he sticks his head where most fellas wouldn't stick their feet

Seems to be a good few supporters heading to tralee, be great to have a bit of a crowd there

turkeyplucker (UK) - Posts: 137 - 16/03/2015 11:24:37    1703277

Link

Got out on day-relaease and headed down for this one. Strange game in that Monaghan never looked like losing against an old adversary, yet there was somehing unsatisfying about the win. Maybe that's a measure of the new expectation around this team.

No point in commenting further on the excellent Clontibret duo. Vinny was sent out to target Mark Lynch and he did that to good effect. Still a lynchpin for this team. Thought McAdam played really well for around 55 minutes- along with Malone he grafted hard and won plenty of posession.

The couple of lapses in concentration- from frees, Fintan Kelly's handling, the goal- were disappointing. Could have built a stronger points difference as Derry were ready to lie down if a 6+ points gap had opened up. They were abject- Eoin Bradleys non-event cameo summed up the situation.

Someone beside us described Kieran Hughes as 'like watching a weanling that has just been let out of the shed in March'. Too true, but if they can work him better as the end-point for those fast counter-attacks there will be plenty of goal chances.

Looking forward to a spin to Tralee now.

Eddie the Exile (Monaghan) - Posts: 746 - 16/03/2015 13:10:28    1703345

Link

Some good and bad points from the game yesterday, The 2 Wylie brothers are the back were immense. As was Dessie and Conor up front.. I thought that Derry was as poor as I've ever seen them. They had no attacking threat and looked very very slow. a lot of their players seemed to be carrying a lot of weight. We really should have won this game by a bigger margin, we had some poor attempts at frees and I couldn't see any reason why their goal was disallowed. Other points from this game was that Thomas Kerr was excellent against Donegal but not so against Derry.. he covers a lot of ground and fights for everything, in this game he had more time and space to shoot for scores but didn't seem to take the chances that he had. Similar for Karl O'Connell, he has fantastic pace and carries the ball forward really well but within scoring range he was off with his shots. both players have the raw ability needed but need some polishing. There is no really outstanding team in the country this year and we have a team and coaching staff that can really push for major honours this season and this is with a team that is currently missing many players!!

Farney (Monaghan) - Posts: 741 - 16/03/2015 15:52:56    1703453

Link

Interesting to say that a lot of players are missing. How would we feel about putting the likes of Lennon, Walsh or McGuinness in at the deep end come championship time, that is if they can regain fitness? It would be a tough ask of them without a national league campaign behind them. Lennon has been out for almost a year now with the ankle and has missed a fair bit of football over past few years with it. I'd say at this stage his role could only be a tough wise head to bring on for last 15?? Midfield is a worrying area for us. McAdam played well the last day and fielded a few balls well, but I think he can struggle if he is up against some of the more marquee midfielders in the country. To be fair to him he is somewhat a manufactured midfielder and is more suited a CB. It's a pity, for years we prob didn't know how lucky we were to have two solid out and out midfielders in Lennon and Dick.

supermon (Monaghan) - Posts: 1071 - 16/03/2015 19:20:57    1703572

Link

In the monaghan v cork match if drew was switched onto c o neill would we have won ?????

prideof85 (Monaghan) - Posts: 763 - 17/03/2015 19:43:34    1703861

Link