Leitrim Forum

Leitrim U-20S

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Leitrim U20s are down to play Roscommon in the Connacht quarter final in 10 weeks time , April 3rd . No manager or squad has been confirmed. This is a talented bunch with Paul Keaney , Donal Casey and Tom Prior their main players . Surely a management setup will be confirmed in the next few weeks if we want to challenge the rossies .

leitrimman1994 (Leitrim) - Posts: 3 - 19/01/2021 22:24:51    2328154

Link

Any news on appointing a manager for this group?

ThePowerhouse (Leitrim) - Posts: 31 - 27/01/2021 21:31:20    2329236

Link

Very positive appointment and the squad will respond well to Brendan. Lots of talent in that group and glad to see the County board are taking this competition seriously.

ThePowerhouse (Leitrim) - Posts: 31 - 31/01/2021 21:12:41    2329908

Link

Replying To ThePowerhouse:  "Very positive appointment and the squad will respond well to Brendan. Lots of talent in that group and glad to see the County board are taking this competition seriously."
Why would you think it's positive? As an outsider with inside interest however (relations in leitrim) I'd say it's a poor appointment. Wasn't he the manager who nearly lost to New York?? Couldn't get out of division four and players basically said they didn't want him back. Then took over minors and they were annihilated by 14 men. Never won anything at club level either. Looking at backroom team wouldn't inspire confidence either. Only name I recognise is that mulligan lad who walked out a few years ago and also left his own club twice.

tonguey (Cavan) - Posts: 292 - 01/02/2021 13:11:49    2329983

Link

Replying To ThePowerhouse:  "Very positive appointment and the squad will respond well to Brendan. Lots of talent in that group and glad to see the County board are taking this competition seriously."
Why would you think it's positive? As an outsider with inside interest however (relations in leitrim) I'd say it's a poor appointment. Wasn't he the manager who nearly lost to New York?? Couldn't get out of division four and players basically said they didn't want him back. Then took over minors and they were annihilated by 14 men. Never won anything at club level either. Looking at backroom team wouldn't inspire confidence either. Only name I recognise is that mulligan lad who walked out a few years ago and also left his own club twice.

tonguey (Cavan) - Posts: 292 - 01/02/2021 13:20:51    2329987

Link

Replying To tonguey:  "Why would you think it's positive? As an outsider with inside interest however (relations in leitrim) I'd say it's a poor appointment. Wasn't he the manager who nearly lost to New York?? Couldn't get out of division four and players basically said they didn't want him back. Then took over minors and they were annihilated by 14 men. Never won anything at club level either. Looking at backroom team wouldn't inspire confidence either. Only name I recognise is that mulligan lad who walked out a few years ago and also left his own club twice."
Benny would suit c board.nice guy who will do his best.wont cost a fortune.size of backroom hangers on is unreal.....yes Mulligan is the only name that would be known.really wouldn't be sure of any of the others.Ludlow was a goal keeper for the Duff. Jimmy lad played for marys or ballinamore.wasnt a natural but maybe he's a good coach.enda lyons was a good keeper and does s&c.will do well to get that done in time scale if dates are to be believed

Bogger100 (Leitrim) - Posts: 31 - 01/02/2021 23:06:19    2330061

Link

Replying To tonguey:  "Why would you think it's positive? As an outsider with inside interest however (relations in leitrim) I'd say it's a poor appointment. Wasn't he the manager who nearly lost to New York?? Couldn't get out of division four and players basically said they didn't want him back. Then took over minors and they were annihilated by 14 men. Never won anything at club level either. Looking at backroom team wouldn't inspire confidence either. Only name I recognise is that mulligan lad who walked out a few years ago and also left his own club twice."
Benny wasn't the only Manager who couldn't Leitrim out of division 4 until Hyland came and he couldn't keep us in division 3. Cant keep blaming coaches , players have responsibility to perform on the day. With Leitrim especially so called promising up and coming players that I'm fed up hearing about on these forums they always seem to bottle it when it matters most.

Buzzcagney62 (Leitrim) - Posts: 162 - 03/02/2021 13:39:49    2330212

Link

Surprise surprise, another year without u20 trials. The same old players we've gotten oh so used to since u14. Some lads who aren't even playing first team football selected when other much better footballers left out. No call up for annaduffs Jack hughes, after a fantastic debut year in midfield for the Duff. One of the county's best young footballers again being left out. I can only assume if the young man was from carrick or ballinamore he would be on this panel .. How long until we see change and host trials for our u20 panel? Young Sean o riordan another bright footballer from a rural club .. fantastic year with the Bors and no inclusion

Leitrimman552 (Leitrim) - Posts: 1 - 04/02/2021 13:25:12    2330261

Link

to be fair, would that even be permitted in current circumstances? michael moyles is forced to ring around mayo to see whos interested in playing for the ladies

gaelsboy (Leitrim) - Posts: 214 - 04/02/2021 14:32:29    2330270

Link

Replying To Leitrimman552:  "Surprise surprise, another year without u20 trials. The same old players we've gotten oh so used to since u14. Some lads who aren't even playing first team football selected when other much better footballers left out. No call up for annaduffs Jack hughes, after a fantastic debut year in midfield for the Duff. One of the county's best young footballers again being left out. I can only assume if the young man was from carrick or ballinamore he would be on this panel .. How long until we see change and host trials for our u20 panel? Young Sean o riordan another bright footballer from a rural club .. fantastic year with the Bors and no inclusion"
Are you sure about Hughes? I heard he was one of the first called from that group of minors...and is O Riordan not with the hurlers??

In a county with the number of players in this age bracket you hardly need trials to tell you who is good enough...13 clubs represented I believe

anon3 (Mayo) - Posts: 3 - 04/02/2021 17:11:44    2330286

Link

Replying To Buzzcagney62:  "Benny wasn't the only Manager who couldn't Leitrim out of division 4 until Hyland came and he couldn't keep us in division 3. Cant keep blaming coaches , players have responsibility to perform on the day. With Leitrim especially so called promising up and coming players that I'm fed up hearing about on these forums they always seem to bottle it when it matters most."
Guckian had apparently one of the strongest u20 sides a few years back and picked the completely wrong team against Galway who bet them out the gate in the first half of their championship game Enforced substitutions miraculously evened up the game and we nearly pipped them at the end. That shows he isn't up to the level of coaching.

republicofcloone (Leitrim) - Posts: 293 - 06/02/2021 17:06:20    2330452

Link

Replying To republicofcloone:  "Guckian had apparently one of the strongest u20 sides a few years back and picked the completely wrong team against Galway who bet them out the gate in the first half of their championship game Enforced substitutions miraculously evened up the game and we nearly pipped them at the end. That shows he isn't up to the level of coaching."
What about the players role in all of this? I played a bit of college and club back in the day and I am sure you did also, and you cant bring the coach onto the field with you. Even a so called good coach like Hyland must have looked on with despair when he saw his players heads drop against Tipp in the crucial division 3 game that would have kept us up. You know and I know that Leitrim teams have been "bet" out the gate for years , long before Benny arrived so he's in good company there.

Buzzcagney62 (Leitrim) - Posts: 162 - 07/02/2021 09:17:32    2330499

Link

Replying To Buzzcagney62:  "What about the players role in all of this? I played a bit of college and club back in the day and I am sure you did also, and you cant bring the coach onto the field with you. Even a so called good coach like Hyland must have looked on with despair when he saw his players heads drop against Tipp in the crucial division 3 game that would have kept us up. You know and I know that Leitrim teams have been "bet" out the gate for years , long before Benny arrived so he's in good company there."
I don't think you should put our man Terry in the same category as a failed coach. Terry has proven himself over the years as a very shrewd tactician and a very good coach. I think the point being made is Brenda Guckian Is getting jobs based on what?? What success has he had??

tonguey (Cavan) - Posts: 292 - 08/02/2021 10:33:22    2330610

Link

Lads we can complain all we want about coaches and who was a success and who was a failure. It's very easy to throw comments from the stands when the reality of it is if anyone of us was asked to coach a club u11 team we prob run a mile from it but we think we can Criticise people that are preparing inter county teams. Mickey Moran couldn't get Leitrim out of Div 4 and in my eyes he is one of the best coaches to ever train a GAA team in the country. If you have the players you have a chance. Terry hyland another great coach who got the rub of the green to get promoted from div 4 in a couple of tight games and in div 3 he didn't get the rub of the green in a couple of games to stay in the division. You need a lot of good players and back room team to give yourself a chance but you also need a little bit of luck. You can even look at Dublin 6 in a row they should have been bet in at least 3 of them finals twice by mayo and Kerry should have bet them the first day in 2019. Look at the finals against mayo hennely dropping the ball, Vaughan getting sent off, Dublin first 2 scores were 2 goals one of them an own goal, Lee Keehan a black card, an obvious black Card missed on Johnny Cooper. Jim Gavin will rightly go down as the best GAA coach of all time but if he didn't have a little bit of luck in all them games people would argue that he under achieved and left a few all-Ireland's behind him. It's a fine line sport.

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 221 - 10/02/2021 01:10:08    2330897

Link

Replying To Champotime18:  "Lads we can complain all we want about coaches and who was a success and who was a failure. It's very easy to throw comments from the stands when the reality of it is if anyone of us was asked to coach a club u11 team we prob run a mile from it but we think we can Criticise people that are preparing inter county teams. Mickey Moran couldn't get Leitrim out of Div 4 and in my eyes he is one of the best coaches to ever train a GAA team in the country. If you have the players you have a chance. Terry hyland another great coach who got the rub of the green to get promoted from div 4 in a couple of tight games and in div 3 he didn't get the rub of the green in a couple of games to stay in the division. You need a lot of good players and back room team to give yourself a chance but you also need a little bit of luck. You can even look at Dublin 6 in a row they should have been bet in at least 3 of them finals twice by mayo and Kerry should have bet them the first day in 2019. Look at the finals against mayo hennely dropping the ball, Vaughan getting sent off, Dublin first 2 scores were 2 goals one of them an own goal, Lee Keehan a black card, an obvious black Card missed on Johnny Cooper. Jim Gavin will rightly go down as the best GAA coach of all time but if he didn't have a little bit of luck in all them games people would argue that he under achieved and left a few all-Ireland's behind him. It's a fine line sport."
I agree with you on that one in fairness but all the same the best coaches seem to have the luck!! Is it that they have their teams better prepared mentally I wonder?! So that if they get a setback they can recover or if another team gets ahead that team with an inferior coach can't see it out?? Just thinking out loud.

On another note I believe Brenda Guckian is a struck disciplinarian. He insists on healthy eating and if I remember correctly he had the senior team on pink Himalayan salt and gi bread and leek supplements.

tonguey (Cavan) - Posts: 292 - 10/02/2021 16:24:24    2330938

Link

Replying To Champotime18:  "Lads we can complain all we want about coaches and who was a success and who was a failure. It's very easy to throw comments from the stands when the reality of it is if anyone of us was asked to coach a club u11 team we prob run a mile from it but we think we can Criticise people that are preparing inter county teams. Mickey Moran couldn't get Leitrim out of Div 4 and in my eyes he is one of the best coaches to ever train a GAA team in the country. If you have the players you have a chance. Terry hyland another great coach who got the rub of the green to get promoted from div 4 in a couple of tight games and in div 3 he didn't get the rub of the green in a couple of games to stay in the division. You need a lot of good players and back room team to give yourself a chance but you also need a little bit of luck. You can even look at Dublin 6 in a row they should have been bet in at least 3 of them finals twice by mayo and Kerry should have bet them the first day in 2019. Look at the finals against mayo hennely dropping the ball, Vaughan getting sent off, Dublin first 2 scores were 2 goals one of them an own goal, Lee Keehan a black card, an obvious black Card missed on Johnny Cooper. Jim Gavin will rightly go down as the best GAA coach of all time but if he didn't have a little bit of luck in all them games people would argue that he under achieved and left a few all-Ireland's behind him. It's a fine line sport."
So I think what you are saying here is that this forum should agree with every decision the county board makes, in fact have no disagreement at all, really? What's the point of the forum so? We can't criticise one decision they make. I don't doubt the coach is a decent man, but he's been there before at the grade and lost an eminently winnable game with a pick of one of our best selections of players (according to many posters here)
Bad management lost Mayo at least one of of those all Irelands, hennelly should have been nowhere near starting, yet he mysteriously replaced a man who'd win the all star for goalie that year, you've proven my point right there.

republicofcloone (Leitrim) - Posts: 293 - 10/02/2021 20:48:48    2330958

Link

Replying To Buzzcagney62:  "What about the players role in all of this? I played a bit of college and club back in the day and I am sure you did also, and you cant bring the coach onto the field with you. Even a so called good coach like Hyland must have looked on with despair when he saw his players heads drop against Tipp in the crucial division 3 game that would have kept us up. You know and I know that Leitrim teams have been "bet" out the gate for years , long before Benny arrived so he's in good company there."
When Leitrim have had decent coaches involved such as Carroll, O'Mahony, Reynolds and Moran they were rarely bet home

republicofcloone (Leitrim) - Posts: 293 - 10/02/2021 20:58:47    2330961

Link

Replying To republicofcloone:  "So I think what you are saying here is that this forum should agree with every decision the county board makes, in fact have no disagreement at all, really? What's the point of the forum so? We can't criticise one decision they make. I don't doubt the coach is a decent man, but he's been there before at the grade and lost an eminently winnable game with a pick of one of our best selections of players (according to many posters here)
Bad management lost Mayo at least one of of those all Irelands, hennelly should have been nowhere near starting, yet he mysteriously replaced a man who'd win the all star for goalie that year, you've proven my point right there."
100% you can call out county board for decisions made but again you can hardly call out a county board chairman secretary or treasurer for the quality of county underage teams. The head of coaching in this county is who is clearly responsible for how are county players have devolped. In my eyes that's where the problem is. Look at the quality of players other counties are producing just look at Sligo and Roscommon they contested the Connacht u17 final. Roscommon have been the main underage team in Connacht the past 10 years. Until Leitrim get a coach over the coaches that knows what he's at we will always be bet in underage and also remain in Div 4 or bottom of Div 3 at best. We can't keep knocking the managers every year but never question the person responsible for coaching and player path ways from 12 years of age

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 221 - 12/02/2021 00:26:26    2331139

Link

Replying To tonguey:  "I agree with you on that one in fairness but all the same the best coaches seem to have the luck!! Is it that they have their teams better prepared mentally I wonder?! So that if they get a setback they can recover or if another team gets ahead that team with an inferior coach can't see it out?? Just thinking out loud.

On another note I believe Brenda Guckian is a struck disciplinarian. He insists on healthy eating and if I remember correctly he had the senior team on pink Himalayan salt and gi bread and leek supplements."
That is a fair point to make that maybe the belief in the bigger counties is a lot easier to find when needed during a tight game

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 221 - 12/02/2021 00:28:43    2331140

Link

Replying To Champotime18:  "That is a fair point to make that maybe the belief in the bigger counties is a lot easier to find when needed during a tight game"
Where were leitrim positioned in the old league before that tomas keeneghan became head coach?don't know the answer was just wondering????

Bogger100 (Leitrim) - Posts: 31 - 14/02/2021 17:36:48    2331362

Link