Leitrim Forum

Leitrim V Mayo.

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To OhtobeARossie:  "Lads ye have 1 lad most probably from your own county just putting up rubbish and answering himself with bigger rubbish.
Good luck on Sunday, the wind up rubbish has nought to do with us we prefer the long grass."
He's not from our own county. We know well who it is and those posters are not welcome here.

foneyforme (Leitrim) - Posts: 143 - 28/10/2020 13:56:31    2302485

Link

Replying To foneyforme:  "I actually think we can run them close. Who will they put on Ryan? How will they cope with the relentless running of domhnaill? They certainly can't afford to foul, with domhnaill on the field He'll punish them. Do ye think Mayo will go defensive against us to nullify threat??"
Mayo are going to be a bit afraid of the calibre of player we have, agreed. They will definitely go somewhat defensive because I am not sure would they have encountered such a skilful player as Ryan before , he is our Paul Mannion. Also in Domhnaill we have a powerful player that would walk onto any team.

Jayo1908 (Leitrim) - Posts: 16 - 28/10/2020 14:44:26    2302505

Link

Hi all. It's a very strange year. Mayo should win but I would never take any team for granted. I remember being in Carrick in 2006 when we luckily squeezed past Leitrim.

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 10797 - 28/10/2020 16:09:19    2302544

Link

Welcome yew_tree, we like having people from Mayo and Galway on our forum ( just so long as they are not from our most fiercest rivals from across the Shannon). I think it could be a belter of a game, we have division 3 experience now which is still a slight notch below what you would be used of in division 1. We have quality in every line of the team, a hugely talented bench. I guess Horan is having a few sleepless nights over us. If we are there or there abouts with 10 minutes to go I would expect we will see it through because of our year in division 3 and the experience that has brought us.

Jayo1908 (Leitrim) - Posts: 16 - 28/10/2020 16:33:04    2302552

Link

I would also add that in addition to the division 3 experience we still have that invincible mentality from Jan 2013 and Jan 2014 when we were probably the form team in the country. So taking all that on-board I really fancy us Sunday.

Jayo1908 (Leitrim) - Posts: 16 - 28/10/2020 16:41:32    2302559

Link

Replying To yew_tree:  "Hi all. It's a very strange year. Mayo should win but I would never take any team for granted. I remember being in Carrick in 2006 when we luckily squeezed past Leitrim."
We are due a change of luck in the championship, for the last 4 years we narrowly lost out to Ros by on average 15 points, we were really unlucky however, they fluked the 4 games due to us under performing or not getting the rub of the green from the ref. We will need to get the rub of the green from the ref on Sunday.

Jayo1908 (Leitrim) - Posts: 16 - 28/10/2020 17:24:58    2302579

Link

Replying To Jayo1908:  "We are due a change of luck in the championship, for the last 4 years we narrowly lost out to Ros by on average 15 points, we were really unlucky however, they fluked the 4 games due to us under performing or not getting the rub of the green from the ref. We will need to get the rub of the green from the ref on Sunday."
Must try harder I think.

republicofcloone (Leitrim) - Posts: 375 - 28/10/2020 23:07:44    2302696

Link

Replying To OhtobeARossie:  "Lads ye have 1 lad most probably from your own county just putting up rubbish and answering himself with bigger rubbish.
Good luck on Sunday, the wind up rubbish has nought to do with us we prefer the long grass."
RossieRus, Jayo etc are all the same person just spending their days talking to themselves. They really need to moderate this site properly so people can have a normal discussion and not have to read their rubbish.

SeanMacDiarmada (Leitrim) - Posts: 310 - 29/10/2020 07:27:26    2302714

Link

A shocking day weather wise is forecast.
No Supporters likely to effect us who are said to be the most loyal and enthusiastic in the country.
Do or Die game, no going into the pot with another division 4 team on Monday morning for the defeated team.
Leitrim a lot better than league form suggests and could have a huge game if the click on the day.
Paul Faloon is a newish ref to IC Championship football.
This could be closer than many think.

martinjoe (Mayo) - Posts: 449 - 29/10/2020 08:49:22    2302723

Link

Replying To Jayo1908:  "We are due a change of luck in the championship, for the last 4 years we narrowly lost out to Ros by on average 15 points, we were really unlucky however, they fluked the 4 games due to us under performing or not getting the rub of the green from the ref. We will need to get the rub of the green from the ref on Sunday."
Grow up. Please moderators remove this newbie from the site. Surely there must be a way to check IP address to prevent people like this from having multiple accounts.

foneyforme (Leitrim) - Posts: 143 - 29/10/2020 09:18:08    2302728

Link

Replying To martinjoe:  "A shocking day weather wise is forecast.
No Supporters likely to effect us who are said to be the most loyal and enthusiastic in the country.
Do or Die game, no going into the pot with another division 4 team on Monday morning for the defeated team.
Leitrim a lot better than league form suggests and could have a huge game if the click on the day.
This could be closer than many think."
Yes the weather is meant to be terrible I think after all the rain this week the pitch will be heavy. We will give it a right good shot guaranteed but ye will eventually win the day I think. Good job it's not in Hyde park or ye would have to bring the waders to play the game!

foneyforme (Leitrim) - Posts: 143 - 29/10/2020 09:34:44    2302735

Link

idiot

journeyman11 (Leitrim) - Posts: 47 - 29/10/2020 10:56:56    2302752

Link

Replying To yew_tree:  "Hi all. It's a very strange year. Mayo should win but I would never take any team for granted. I remember being in Carrick in 2006 when we luckily squeezed past Leitrim."
I remeber that. During Dessie Dolans time we had some exciting times without ever getting over the line, Meath scored an injury time point to draw and then beat us in extra tmie things like that, and that Mayo game was class.

We had a good decent team back then, Christy Carroll scored a goal for us and was an absolutely collossus of a midfielder, we had the best full back line in Connacht IMO and no fear of anyone. Declan Maxwell was recovering from a knee operation but came on with about 5 minutes to go to almost get us over the line, he set up 3 points- Mayo could not handle him at all. Pat Harte was sent off when Mayo were ahead and then Leitrim had a storming finish, if the game went on another few minutes we would have won, Maxwell was on fire even with his limited movement. Leitrims downfall back then was a lack of scoring forwards of top calibre, actually something we have now, from positions 1-9 back then we would hold our own with anybody, lack of scores back then was always an issue.

Alas Mayo won by a point that day and reached the All Ireland final that year. Was that the year of Hillgate and McDonalds winner against the Dubs? I remeber that game though, the tension, the storming Leitrim comeback, the excitment. Carrick was rocking when that game entered the home stretch, I think even the gorillas made an appearance to rally up the crowd! Remeber them gorillas that used to hop the fence in Carrick and run around the pitch? It was great craic back then.

Can't see it being close at all this year

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/mayo-pushed-to-the-limit-26381263.html

leitrim4sam (Leitrim) - Posts: 493 - 29/10/2020 11:07:16    2302758

Link

Replying To martinjoe:  "A shocking day weather wise is forecast.
This could be closer than many think."
I recall our clash in 2006 when Mayo were very lucky to come away from Carrick with a win, but times have changed and it should be at least a ten point win for Mayo. Unless the fact of no crowd and a bad day make things a bit odder and closer but who knows, strange things can happen. We have only beaten Mayo three times in the Championship, 1959 after a replay, 1976 after a replay and of course 1994. Not a great record

republicofcloone (Leitrim) - Posts: 375 - 29/10/2020 11:20:41    2302765

Link

Replying To republicofcloone:  "I recall our clash in 2006 when Mayo were very lucky to come away from Carrick with a win, but times have changed and it should be at least a ten point win for Mayo. Unless the fact of no crowd and a bad day make things a bit odder and closer but who knows, strange things can happen. We have only beaten Mayo three times in the Championship, 1959 after a replay, 1976 after a replay and of course 1994. Not a great record"
I'm too young to remember 1994 but I've heard stories of a few Mayo supporters that decided to go to Carrick that night and celebrate with Leitrim...must have been some week celebrating ;)

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 10797 - 29/10/2020 12:23:46    2302795

Link

Replying To yew_tree:  "I'm too young to remember 1994 but I've heard stories of a few Mayo supporters that decided to go to Carrick that night and celebrate with Leitrim...must have been some week celebrating ;)"
Yes we know how to celebrate correctly in our own county too unlike some of our neighbours who have to visit us to celebrate if they actually win the toss at the start of a game!!

foneyforme (Leitrim) - Posts: 143 - 29/10/2020 13:50:26    2302827

Link

Score predictions? For me

Leitrim 1-13 Mayo 3-19

Yondu (UK) - Posts: 420 - 29/10/2020 18:53:59    2302930

Link

Mayo 4-14 leitrim 2-08

OhtobeARossie (Roscommon) - Posts: 1540 - 29/10/2020 23:15:54    2302983

Link

Sadly this will be complete one way traffic I fell. The one thing that will stand to Leitrim is they can give this one hell of a lash there is no qualifier or no club games to worry about. So give it a lash and you can put the feet up for a couple of months then. I'm going to unfortunately Say

Leitrim 0-08
Mayo 5-21

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 258 - 30/10/2020 00:47:15    2302992

Link

Replying To OhtobeARossie:  "Mayo 4-14 leitrim 2-08"
Hello analyser/ispeakwisdom/sourmilk93/ohtobearossie etc etc etc. You're so clever. Well done you.

foneyforme (Leitrim) - Posts: 143 - 30/10/2020 11:29:39    2303030

Link