Galway Forum

Senior Club Football Championship 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Eire89:  "Having the score right is hugely important & surely the refs most important job I accept that. What Im saying is do I think this complaint will go anywhere NO. Also raises Q why was it not challenged by mentors to linesmen when the scoreboard was incorrect? Does anyone know when case will be heard surely needs be ASAP? Also Co board will quash it & will depend how far spiddal want to go with it. Again they should man up concentrate on relegation. 2 games if they are good enough they will get out of it regardeless of this salthill games & what ifs of score."
It's hardly a trivial issue though. If the correct score was communicated to them, they would almost certainly have won the game. That would have kept them senior.
Do you think they have no right to raise a complaint over the issue? They have asked that it be heard by the County Board ASAP.
It's easy to say 'man up' when the error has no impact on you.
Scorekeeping and timekeeping are fundamentals. We know what happened when Clare and Offaly was blown up early in '98, and in that case Offaly were likely to lose anyway. In this case, An Spidéal had a free with the last play of the game to win it.

WanPintWin (Galway) - Posts: 938 - 03/09/2020 12:32:21    2290362

Link

Last play of the game? how is that is Salthill won by a point with what I believe was last kick of game? The chance was towards the end of the game but was not last play I believe. Again Clare/Offaly was blown up mins early not same thingscore was correct. SApiddal have a right to be aggrieved but they will get nowhere at all "WHAT IFS". If S/K knew they were level they would of wound down clock & kept ball etc as a draw was good enough for them. Again why did Spiddal not challenge linesman & scoreboard? We are in "What if" territory here. Not a hope of Spiddal getting anywhere with this

Eire89 (Galway) - Posts: 210 - 03/09/2020 13:03:42    2290374

Link

Replying To Eire89:  "Last play of the game? how is that is Salthill won by a point with what I believe was last kick of game? The chance was towards the end of the game but was not last play I believe. Again Clare/Offaly was blown up mins early not same thingscore was correct. SApiddal have a right to be aggrieved but they will get nowhere at all "WHAT IFS". If S/K knew they were level they would of wound down clock & kept ball etc as a draw was good enough for them. Again why did Spiddal not challenge linesman & scoreboard? We are in "What if" territory here. Not a hope of Spiddal getting anywhere with this"
What you believe is incorrect in that case. Salthill didn't win with the last play of the game. There was another play after Culhane's point, which finished with An Spidéal having a shot which flashed across the face of goal. This was worked from the free they had been awarded. That was the last play of the game. If the correct score was communicated, they would have tapped the free over the bar. There's very little 'what if' about that, as it was the last action of the game.
Whether the appeal goes anywhere is up to the county board. They absolutely have a case to raise however. How you can't see that is beyond me.

WanPintWin (Galway) - Posts: 938 - 03/09/2020 13:32:44    2290383

Link

In fairness to any club at senior or any level the referee should have had the correct score, I was confused because wts had it as a draw as did the radio then I hear spiddal going for goal with an easy free. 7 points up at halftime is irrelevant, salthill are a good side very strong up front but can be got at in defence.
I never rated the ref from previous experience but the co board need to stipulate that any championship game has to have the scoreboard on, moycullen board was there but not used.

mise87 (Galway) - Posts: 199 - 03/09/2020 13:45:42    2290386

Link

Replying To Eire89:  "Last play of the game? how is that is Salthill won by a point with what I believe was last kick of game? The chance was towards the end of the game but was not last play I believe. Again Clare/Offaly was blown up mins early not same thingscore was correct. SApiddal have a right to be aggrieved but they will get nowhere at all "WHAT IFS". If S/K knew they were level they would of wound down clock & kept ball etc as a draw was good enough for them. Again why did Spiddal not challenge linesman & scoreboard? We are in "What if" territory here. Not a hope of Spiddal getting anywhere with this"
How do you challenge a linesman and ref? Run onto pitch during the game or surround him after on his way to car? There is procedures for these incidents and clubs are entitled to follow them, any club training all year deserves the respect of the rules

mise87 (Galway) - Posts: 199 - 03/09/2020 13:47:50    2290387

Link

Why was it not raised to linesmen? They have a mentor who is forevever running onto the pitch could he not have raised it with ref/linesman? Appeal wont go anywhere end of story man up & get on with no point delaying whole championship. 6 points up against 14 men lost other 2 games in group. They are were they are. Concentrate on relegation play off if they good enough they will stay up. Other 3teams in relegation licking their lips with Spiddal trying to get out of it on a technicality. Better off putting effort energy into training. Games are won on pitch but again sure they might not know that considering havent won a game

Eire89 (Galway) - Posts: 210 - 03/09/2020 14:04:21    2290398

Link

They'll be hoping your not on the committee

fryingpan (Galway) - Posts: 38 - 03/09/2020 14:09:13    2290400

Link

If ' natural justice " were to be applied Spideal case would be upheld. That's patently obvious. They were wronged. But unfortunately GAA don't do natural justice. They do fudge and more fudge.
Spideal would be better served to concentrate on relegation battle. I suspect they are the strongest of the teams in this battle.

padthepostman (Galway) - Posts: 125 - 03/09/2020 14:17:44    2290401

Link

Replying To Eire89:  "Why was it not raised to linesmen? They have a mentor who is forevever running onto the pitch could he not have raised it with ref/linesman? Appeal wont go anywhere end of story man up & get on with no point delaying whole championship. 6 points up against 14 men lost other 2 games in group. They are were they are. Concentrate on relegation play off if they good enough they will stay up. Other 3teams in relegation licking their lips with Spiddal trying to get out of it on a technicality. Better off putting effort energy into training. Games are won on pitch but again sure they might not know that considering havent won a game"
You haven't challenged any point made yet and continue to spout nonsense which has nothing to do with the issue. You've already been found out making incorrect statements, regarding the last play of the game.
The rest of your points make no sense:

- "6 points up and lost". What's that go to do with the scorekeeping error? Plenty teams lose 6 point leads and bigger, some of them in the last few mins even. It wss due to brilliant 1st half performance that they had the lead in the first place. An Spidéal had a hurling match the previous weekend and have played every weekend since the start of the championships. It wouldn't be surprising if they tired in the 2nd half, especially against a team with the quality and depth of Salthill.
- "Lost their other 2 games". They did, very narrowly and both could have gone either way. It was a very tight group all round. If the correct score was kept in this game, you'd have 3 teams on 2 points.
- "Better off putting energy into training". You do realise it's the club administrators and not the players themselves who are handling the objection, right? The players will continue to train and focus on the football and hurling.

WanPintWin (Galway) - Posts: 938 - 03/09/2020 15:00:51    2290409

Link

Replying To WanPintWin:  "You haven't challenged any point made yet and continue to spout nonsense which has nothing to do with the issue. You've already been found out making incorrect statements, regarding the last play of the game.
The rest of your points make no sense:

- "6 points up and lost". What's that go to do with the scorekeeping error? Plenty teams lose 6 point leads and bigger, some of them in the last few mins even. It wss due to brilliant 1st half performance that they had the lead in the first place. An Spidéal had a hurling match the previous weekend and have played every weekend since the start of the championships. It wouldn't be surprising if they tired in the 2nd half, especially against a team with the quality and depth of Salthill.
- "Lost their other 2 games". They did, very narrowly and both could have gone either way. It was a very tight group all round. If the correct score was kept in this game, you'd have 3 teams on 2 points.
- "Better off putting energy into training". You do realise it's the club administrators and not the players themselves who are handling the objection, right? The players will continue to train and focus on the football and hurling."
Oh here we go arent they great dual club bla bla bla. Most clubs out every week & I know you will come back with Spiddal have same players most clubs do. They knew the structure of championship everyone did. They also involved in relegation in hurling arent they? Winning is a habit LOSING is a worse one. Score should have been kept correctly yes officials problem I accept that. What Im saying is appeal will go NOWHERE & dont want it to the delay the championship on the other clubs. Dont you think the players will be aware there is an appeal and not just "the administrators"? They are not robots who simply just play. I am saying let them pull their socks up & concentrate on relegation (in both codes). Other clubs involved Moivea MB Caherlistrane will only be delighted. Simple win one of their potential last 2 games in BOTH codes and they will be safe. Get on with it. Cant delay championship for rest of county on "WHAT IFS"

Eire89 (Galway) - Posts: 210 - 03/09/2020 15:38:18    2290421

Link

Agreed that the appeal will get nowhere. Very unfair to lose a game in that manner however. Referee shouldnt be allowed to ref anything for a while.

square_ball (Galway) - Posts: 229 - 03/09/2020 16:00:20    2290427

Link

How do you challenge a linesman and ref? Run onto pitch during the game or surround him after on his way to car? There is procedures for these incidents and clubs are entitled to follow them, any club training all year deserves the respect of the rules

mise87 (Galway) - Posts: 199 - 03/09/2020 18:55:38    2290447

Link

Appeal will go nowhere but it should. Spiddal have every right to contest this. Close game in the dying minutes of an important match and you are given the wrong score of course it affects your decision making. Like when a player asks a ref how long they have left during extra time - last play vs 2 mins left has an impact

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1269 - 03/09/2020 19:03:42    2290448

Link

Replying To WanPintWin:  "What you believe is incorrect in that case. Salthill didn't win with the last play of the game. There was another play after Culhane's point, which finished with An Spidéal having a shot which flashed across the face of goal. This was worked from the free they had been awarded. That was the last play of the game. If the correct score was communicated, they would have tapped the free over the bar. There's very little 'what if' about that, as it was the last action of the game.
Whether the appeal goes anywhere is up to the county board. They absolutely have a case to raise however. How you can't see that is beyond me."
Not sure that chronology makes much sense. Whatever the ref communicated to them if it was last play they were in fact a point down and a draw was no good to them hence a goal needed. Would make more sense in the version where they went for goal missed and SK went up other end and scored winner.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 330 - 03/09/2020 19:47:42    2290455

Link

Replying To kazoochka:  "Not sure that chronology makes much sense. Whatever the ref communicated to them if it was last play they were in fact a point down and a draw was no good to them hence a goal needed. Would make more sense in the version where they went for goal missed and SK went up other end and scored winner."
Read report on RTE now which confirms you are right apologies.

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 330 - 03/09/2020 20:09:50    2290457

Link

Replying To kazoochka:  "Not sure that chronology makes much sense. Whatever the ref communicated to them if it was last play they were in fact a point down and a draw was no good to them hence a goal needed. Would make more sense in the version where they went for goal missed and SK went up other end and scored winner."
The issue is they weren't a point down according to everyone else who was keeping score. It appears the ref didn't note an additional point in the first half. The game would have been level in that case and a point from the free would have won the game.

WanPintWin (Galway) - Posts: 938 - 03/09/2020 20:10:22    2290458

Link

Combine the best from spiddal and the best from salthill and let them play corrofin- corrofin +10

mise87 (Galway) - Posts: 199 - 03/09/2020 21:16:07    2290466

Link

Replying To mise87:  "Combine the best from spiddal and the best from salthill and let them play corrofin- corrofin +10"
Firstly it's Corofin. Second of all that's completely not the point. Good lad

candlewax (Galway) - Posts: 234 - 04/09/2020 08:55:44    2290496

Link

So the error was from 1st half. Dont mentors & teams always ask ref what score is? Surely should have been raised then? And ref could have checked with linesmen etc if was raised he made an error. Either way Spiddal knew the ref had them as 1-10 or whatever for full 2nd half. Appeal wll go nowhere get on with it dont delay the championship. What are they hoping for best outcome a replay with SK? This will just delay the whole championship & throw it into dissaray. When is the appeal being heard?

Eire89 (Galway) - Posts: 210 - 04/09/2020 09:02:34    2290498

Link

Replying To cavan.galway:  "Spiddal have a strong case here, if shoe was on other foot with Salthill there would be uproar..."
Sure......
Everyone would be up in arms to support Salthill if the tables we're turned.
They'd abandon the championship for sure.

StopTheLights (Galway) - Posts: 262 - 04/09/2020 09:15:55    2290500

Link