Galway Forum

Senior Club Football Championship 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

This post should be about "COROFIN GAA" there's so much talk about them.
Tuam Stars will win Frank Fox this year,

Tiddlywinks77 (Galway) - Posts: 270 - 16/09/2020 14:02:03    2292479

Link

Replying To galwaygoal:  "Just to give some numbers to quell the myth that Corofin are just a great country team. They also have massive numbers to work with.

Taking the 5 national schools in the parish. Annaghhill 101, Ballinderry 208, Belclare 237, Cummer 251 and Sylane 90:
Total Enrolment 887
Boys - 425 Girls 426 Per class in total 53. Now I know that not all are eligible to play for Corofin and some kids just don't play football and some play hurling etc. So if you take 25% away for all reasons you are still left with nearly 40 boys at each class. The same calculation can be made for girls but probably a higher number that don't play football."
Interesting post, id love to see a comparison of all senior clubs, I have a feeling kilanin, spiddeal, caherlistrane, milltown are well down, even compared to intermediate clubs ie oranmore, clifden, lettermore

mise87 (Galway) - Posts: 199 - 16/09/2020 16:18:13    2292526

Link

Replying To mise87:  "Interesting post, id love to see a comparison of all senior clubs, I have a feeling kilanin, spiddeal, caherlistrane, milltown are well down, even compared to intermediate clubs ie oranmore, clifden, lettermore"
I will try over the next few days to compile a comparison list of clubs big and small.

galwaygoal (Galway) - Posts: 111 - 16/09/2020 17:32:00    2292545

Link

This is the problem with this forum. Anotheralias starting a silly chat. Can we get back to talking about the actual games that took place over the weekend.

fryingpan (Galway) - Posts: 38 - 16/09/2020 19:31:26    2292557

Link

Replying To galwaygoal:  "I will try over the next few days to compile a comparison list of clubs big and small."
Not the easiest task. School numbers easy to get but a lot of schools draw from catchment areas outside their own parish

anotheralias (Galway) - Posts: 138 - 16/09/2020 19:44:39    2292561

Link

Replying To fryingpan:  "This is the problem with this forum. Anotheralias starting a silly chat. Can we get back to talking about the actual games that took place over the weekend."
Perhaps he doesn't want to talk about last weekends games as his club probably lost!!

cavan.galway (Galway) - Posts: 106 - 16/09/2020 20:09:22    2292564

Link

Replying To galwaygoal:  "Just to give some numbers to quell the myth that Corofin are just a great country team. They also have massive numbers to work with.

Taking the 5 national schools in the parish. Annaghhill 101, Ballinderry 208, Belclare 237, Cummer 251 and Sylane 90:
Total Enrolment 887
Boys - 425 Girls 426 Per class in total 53. Now I know that not all are eligible to play for Corofin and some kids just don't play football and some play hurling etc. So if you take 25% away for all reasons you are still left with nearly 40 boys at each class. The same calculation can be made for girls but probably a higher number that don't play football."
You left out Castlehacket National school.

Galwaymaster9 (Galway) - Posts: 309 - 17/09/2020 07:01:18    2292606

Link

Yes more challenging to get an accurate picture especially when you go into larger towns and not knowing the geography of each parish etc. Long story short re Corofin - Large population, on top of really good structures and coaching, with a great legacy and history. All the ingredients for success. At some stage they will be beaten.
And yes thread should be about championship

Corofin v Moycullen Final

galwaygoal (Galway) - Posts: 111 - 17/09/2020 08:25:04    2292611

Link

Yes can we please get back talking to the games, start another thread about this if you all would like to know each clubs population and catchment area, riveting stuff

candlewax (Galway) - Posts: 234 - 17/09/2020 10:33:08    2292625

Link

Some very strange posts here about Corofin.
They were intermediate once upon a time, they've won the majority of their senior championships in the last 20 years and there have been Farraghers, Burkes, Silkes, Steedes etc playing for generations. Just a good club and a lot of passionate football people out their.

I believe myself having Gary Sice teaching out their is a master stroke. It means that instead of the 10 year old getting 2 hours coaching a week with the club, he is effectively being coached every day. National and Secondary school his hugely important to our football development, from Shane Walsh right back to Sean Purcell, clubs/county board need to ensure that the teaching post appointments suit the clubs.

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 469 - 18/09/2020 08:38:13    2292822

Link

Replying To johnterry:  "Some very strange posts here about Corofin.
They were intermediate once upon a time, they've won the majority of their senior championships in the last 20 years and there have been Farraghers, Burkes, Silkes, Steedes etc playing for generations. Just a good club and a lot of passionate football people out their.

I believe myself having Gary Sice teaching out their is a master stroke. It means that instead of the 10 year old getting 2 hours coaching a week with the club, he is effectively being coached every day. National and Secondary school his hugely important to our football development, from Shane Walsh right back to Sean Purcell, clubs/county board need to ensure that the teaching post appointments suit the clubs."
The idea of having players as teachers in our schools should be encouraged kilkenny is a prime example several former players teaching in primary and secondary schools and we can see the results

minor77 (Galway) - Posts: 68 - 18/09/2020 22:44:24    2292975

Link

Replying To Tiddlywinks77:  "This post should be about "COROFIN GAA" there's so much talk about them.
Tuam Stars will win Frank Fox this year,"
Obviously Corofin are the best Club team in Ireland and Gary Sice is playing like he is a Teenager as was Kieran Fitz until he retired. With the exception of those mentioned and maybe Ian Burke and Steed this year they have brought nothing to the County. 2001 was a long time ago!!!

fishpond (Galway) - Posts: 35 - 22/09/2020 15:32:49    2293589

Link

Moycullen v Tuam Stars is a fascinating game to look forward to. Tuam having had a ropey start are starting to get back close to last years form. Moycullen still hard to make out . They can look devastating against poor teams ( Micheal Breathnachs and a depleted Mountbellew) but struggled to get by against half decent opposition in Annaghdown and St James). But I suppose you would have to say that they definitely have an abundance of quality players ( both homegrown and imported) . They did pull through those tight games and they definitely are the ones who could put it up to Corofin.
I think most neutrals will be hoping Moycullen can make final to see how that pans out. Mountbellew and Tuam have both had their cuts at Corofin and although they were close once or twice , I think the gap between those 2 and Corofin is wider this year.

anotheralias (Galway) - Posts: 138 - 22/09/2020 16:55:14    2293606

Link

Mountbellew beat Corofin in big shock
First they beat them since 1974 in championship
Corofn beaten for first time since may 2013
An end of an era a new one beckons
The younger brigade are coming through

rhudson (Galway) - Posts: 1248 - 27/09/2020 17:47:36    2294320

Link

Fair play to MM, after 6 years of near misses i hope they get over line in the final now. Gives hope to some other teams that it can be done.

Some run Corofin

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 330 - 27/09/2020 17:58:12    2294326

Link

Wow - what a day.

Two better teams on the day advance to the final

With the greatest of respect to Corofin its fantastic to see a final without them. I expect to see them back with a vengeance next year

Maigh Cuilinn Abú

galwayfball (Galway) - Posts: 1269 - 27/09/2020 18:04:06    2294328

Link

Who'd have thought this'd be the year we saw Corofin beat

Galway3 (Galway) - Posts: 5 - 27/09/2020 18:06:47    2294329

Link

3 very good matches today congratulations to those who have reached the final. The streaming is excellent.

giveitlong (Galway) - Posts: 1043 - 27/09/2020 18:42:36    2294332

Link

Replying To galwayfball:  "Wow - what a day.

Two better teams on the day advance to the final

With the greatest of respect to Corofin its fantastic to see a final without them. I expect to see them back with a vengeance next year

Maigh Cuilinn Abú"
Agree fantastic run by corofin and from I saw gracious in defeat. But if I'm honest I don't see them automatically back again next year. They will be in mix up but if u look back in past few years it was 3 or 4 Galway clubs who gave them tighter games. This will give huge confidence to Mountbellew but personally I have tipped Moycullen from early in year. The big worry I'd have now is will season finish as cases are gone extremely high. . No disrespect to corofin but it would be a pity if season doesn't finish as it's brilliant for football to see a change. Well done and congrats to Mountbellew

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 622 - 27/09/2020 18:44:01    2294333

Link

Mountbellew well worth the win, Corofin looked flat. Did anybody see what happened on the sideline with Val D and some of the Corofin mentors during the first half? you couldn't see it on TV. Big week now for Moycullen and Mountbellew. Can the Mountbellew players get focused after a big win. Moycullen looked brilliant and then very shaky at times. Mountbellew have the experience of finals, but there will be very little in it.

GDL (Galway) - Posts: 449 - 27/09/2020 18:54:49    2294339

Link