Donegal Forum

Senior Championship

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Who is going to take this years championship?
And who going to be the stand out players?

2020club (Donegal) - Posts: 2 - 14/09/2020 22:36:21    2292141

Link

It will be a low scoring game I think. but I do think two best teams have made it. 4th final in a row for NC. Will we get penalties, or will a team run away with it!?

2020club (Donegal) - Posts: 2 - 15/09/2020 12:50:58    2292220

Link

It will be a close, tight, low scoring game with little between them at the end.
Kilcar would rather have played St Eunans as they would have come out but after the trimming NC got from Kilcar a few years ago when they tried open football, there is no chance that will happen.
I would have NC as slight favourites but there isn't much in it.

MuckrossHead (Donegal) - Posts: 4986 - 15/09/2020 22:09:29    2292360

Link

Replying To MuckrossHead:  "It will be a close, tight, low scoring game with little between them at the end.
Kilcar would rather have played St Eunans as they would have come out but after the trimming NC got from Kilcar a few years ago when they tried open football, there is no chance that will happen.
I would have NC as slight favourites but there isn't much in it."
Just like to point out that we gave Kilcar the exact same "trimming" the season prior if memory serves me right both games ended with 11 point victories.

naomh_conaill_4 (Donegal) - Posts: 364 - 16/09/2020 08:50:06    2292390

Link

Funnily enough I think Eunans might have beaten Glenties if AJ Gallagher wasn't sent off. A bit of a paradox I know. But once Glenties were down to 14 they adopted that defensive shell that is so hard to penetrate. They are masters at it. The game might have been that wee bit more open if both sides had the full 15. Anyway, neither here nor there at this stage. Glenties are in the final again and Kilcar will have to be at their best to beat them.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7115 - 16/09/2020 10:05:05    2292411

Link

Replying To naomh_conaill_4:  "Just like to point out that we gave Kilcar the exact same "trimming" the season prior if memory serves me right both games ended with 11 point victories."
Lets be clear and unequivocal.

It required a 4pt swing directly related to match officials for Glenties to see of St Eunans. A huge rub of the green that would swing any half tight contest.

The wee Parish will not be denied next Sunday. They have to much all over the park- they are spreading their cards better than in the past. Mark sweeping infront of the fullback line, Ryan dictating from CHB, Ciaran and Eoin giving pace and power in midfield, Steven and Andrew in the half forward line and Paddy in the full.

Glenties have done absolutely remarkably well to reach 4 County finals but they are an aging team with creeking bodies. A half fit Leo and Ciaran Thompson will not stem the tide.

They are going to try and make it a low scoring contest but they will just not be able to punch enough holes for 60mins to outscore Kilcar.

Dr Maguire for the wee Parish this Xmas, Glenties only silver will be from the Tidy Towns.

ManusFromHeaven (Donegal) - Posts: 326 - 16/09/2020 10:21:20    2292418

Link

Replying To Lockjaw:  "Funnily enough I think Eunans might have beaten Glenties if AJ Gallagher wasn't sent off. A bit of a paradox I know. But once Glenties were down to 14 they adopted that defensive shell that is so hard to penetrate. They are masters at it. The game might have been that wee bit more open if both sides had the full 15. Anyway, neither here nor there at this stage. Glenties are in the final again and Kilcar will have to be at their best to beat them."
Possibly, but they still would have been tough if not tougher to break down with 15. And looking back at the video of the sending off he doesn't seem to do anything to warrant even a yellow card. So it should have been 15 v 15. You would imagine he will be available for the final?

I'd imagine it will be a tight game, bookies have Kilcar as 8/13 favourites. Could be another draw even?

FootballGuy (Donegal) - Posts: 111 - 16/09/2020 10:34:31    2292425

Link

Replying To FootballGuy:  "Possibly, but they still would have been tough if not tougher to break down with 15. And looking back at the video of the sending off he doesn't seem to do anything to warrant even a yellow card. So it should have been 15 v 15. You would imagine he will be available for the final?

I'd imagine it will be a tight game, bookies have Kilcar as 8/13 favourites. Could be another draw even?"
Yeah I'd imagine Glenties will appeal and he'll be available.
There's still a bit of time to go before the final, so it'll be interesting to see if the injuries clear up. I'd have Kilcar slight favorites. Their pace is frightening and they probably have more scoring threats than Glenties. But then again, Glenties are Glenties. They will relish a dog fight and if it's nip and tuck going down the home strait they'll fancy their chances.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7115 - 16/09/2020 12:45:03    2292456

Link

Replying To FootballGuy:  "Possibly, but they still would have been tough if not tougher to break down with 15. And looking back at the video of the sending off he doesn't seem to do anything to warrant even a yellow card. So it should have been 15 v 15. You would imagine he will be available for the final?

I'd imagine it will be a tight game, bookies have Kilcar as 8/13 favourites. Could be another draw even?"
Hey FG. Just wondering was the replay you watched part of the subscription package or is it available to everyone? I know the 2nd half of the Kilcar Gweedore game accessible via the county fb page.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2480 - 16/09/2020 13:49:13    2292477

Link

Kilcar at 8/13 makes no sense at all. NC are a battle hardened team in their 4th final in a row & they have a stronger bench.
Yes, if Kilcar click they should win but I don't see this as any more than a 50/50 game.

MuckrossHead (Donegal) - Posts: 4986 - 16/09/2020 14:32:23    2292486

Link

Replying To naomh_conaill_4:  "Just like to point out that we gave Kilcar the exact same "trimming" the season prior if memory serves me right both games ended with 11 point victories."
Right enough, I had blocked that particular nightmare from my memory!!
My basic point stands though, NC will not want an open game & a nightmare of a game like 2017 is not beyond the bounds of possibilities.

MuckrossHead (Donegal) - Posts: 4986 - 16/09/2020 15:11:48    2292501

Link

Replying To MuckrossHead:  "Right enough, I had blocked that particular nightmare from my memory!!
My basic point stands though, NC will not want an open game & a nightmare of a game like 2017 is not beyond the bounds of possibilities."
Both teams play primary the same in big games.Kilcar were ultra defensive against Gweedore.Very good ball carriers on the counter attack but very defensive as are Glenties.Not a massive difference in set ups in big games probably a bit more offensive both teams against weaker opposition.

ifindoubt (Donegal) - Posts: 114 - 16/09/2020 16:09:53    2292524

Link

Kilcar by 5+

ModernMaharaja (Donegal) - Posts: 30 - 16/09/2020 22:59:09    2292592

Link

Tipped Kilcar at the start among friend's. However I think Glenties as underdogs is crazy. They should be favourites. Has anyone watched them? They are so solid. Impossible to break down.

This will be the exact same game as Donegal vs Tyrone from 13-16. Ultra defensive. Chess. Long shots, recycling, safety, keeping ball. Retreating.

Glenties are ideal for kilcar. They fit like a glove. Kilcar are the best in Ulster in an open game. Vs Gdore they showed they can adapt and arm wrestle an opposition but this is another huge step up.
So by Glenties setting up like they do they take away most of Kilcar strong areas.
Pace? Great assest if you have space.

If any bookie has the spread at around 30 points will have the doors shut closed.

Kilcar 8 Glenties 9
Or vice versa!

TheRock2121 (Donegal) - Posts: 574 - 16/09/2020 23:33:05    2292596

Link

RTÉ in contact with the county board with a view of showing the county final. I wonder will they turn it down like the Kerry county board. Hope RTÉ get to show it as I have been been having problems with most of the live streams to date.

crnm (Donegal) - Posts: 88 - 17/09/2020 17:02:29    2292745

Link

Replying To crnm:  "RTÉ in contact with the county board with a view of showing the county final. I wonder will they turn it down like the Kerry county board. Hope RTÉ get to show it as I have been been having problems with most of the live streams to date."
Hi crnm: if it turns out the way the Rock anticipates be better off not showing it.

AudiMan (Donegal) - Posts: 479 - 17/09/2020 20:43:32    2292782

Link

Replying To AudiMan:  "Hi crnm: if it turns out the way the Rock anticipates be better off not showing it."
True AudiMan, I remember been at the 2017 county final and I nearly walked out after 10 mins, it was depressing stuff.

crnm (Donegal) - Posts: 88 - 17/09/2020 21:33:59    2292787

Link

Replying To crnm:  "True AudiMan, I remember been at the 2017 county final and I nearly walked out after 10 mins, it was depressing stuff."
That was one depressing match alright. What was it 7-3 and one all in the second half. I suppose naomh connail took a big beating the year before and weren't going to let that happen again. I remember thinking they were kind of playing for of nil all draw and hoping to catch kilcar at the end. They have a better attacking threat now but don't think they will risk too much as kilcar can do real damage in an open game. A cagey low scoring match is the likely outcome☹️. Beware rte!!!!

Ulsterchamps_32 (Donegal) - Posts: 350 - 17/09/2020 22:13:12    2292793

Link

Let's hope we're wrong and we get a 3-12 to 4-8 game!

TheRock2121 (Donegal) - Posts: 574 - 18/09/2020 00:11:24    2292808

Link

Replying To AudiMan:  "Hi crnm: if it turns out the way the Rock anticipates be better off not showing it."
How do you see the score ending up?

TheRock2121 (Donegal) - Posts: 574 - 18/09/2020 00:12:17    2292809

Link