Carlow Forum

Footballers 2017

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I'd say it ll be Alan Kelly out and brandan Murphy in. Will we try man mark ciaran mcmanus? Massive task for any of them. Mabey rennicks is the best equipped for that job. Also I can see conor lawlor replacling Barry John molloy if fit.not sure why molly has replaced kearney. Perhaps it was because of the kick outs against Dublin.

Bimb (Carlow) - Posts: 434 - 11/07/2017 12:46:41    2014871

Link

Awful shame about Crowley. There was no strike by him (as we saw on The Sunday Game) but he was the 3rd man in. Does anyone know if that's an automatic red?? Otherwise it was only a foul, at worst a yellow!! He would be my choice to mark McManus

fullbach (Carlow) - Posts: 257 - 11/07/2017 13:26:03    2014916

Link

I heard Tommy Wogan saying they were going to have a look at the video evidence and depending on that would possibly appeal the red. He is a very good man marker so would be a big loss. If he is suspended then I would like to see Mark Rennick and Conor Lawlor start as the 2 corner backs.
Brendan Murphy to come in for Alan Kelly too.

Apart from that the rest of the team should stay as started on Saturday.

The Real 1944 (Carlow) - Posts: 1114 - 11/07/2017 16:17:35    2015042

Link

I know it's not going to change but I think centre back is a problem. No mobility there. John Murphy tracking back but not the fastest either. Against division 1 opposition we could be exposed. Our half backs are good going forward but is the defending up to scratch?

Bimb (Carlow) - Posts: 434 - 11/07/2017 16:46:25    2015066

Link

Replying To Bimb:  "I know it's not going to change but I think centre back is a problem. No mobility there. John Murphy tracking back but not the fastest either. Against division 1 opposition we could be exposed. Our half backs are good going forward but is the defending up to scratch?"
Unfortunately you are correct but it'll have to wait til next year to be rectified.

dead_as_dodos (Carlow) - Posts: 459 - 11/07/2017 20:42:30    2015238

Link

Replying To Bimb:  "I know it's not going to change but I think centre back is a problem. No mobility there. John Murphy tracking back but not the fastest either. Against division 1 opposition we could be exposed. Our half backs are good going forward but is the defending up to scratch?"
I see the point about the Ledger/John Murphy centre back/sweeper area being a bit slow and could well be shown up. But in the half back line what other alternatives do we have? Power/Nolan etc are any of them going to improve things?
Benny Kavanaghs serious injury is a massive loss as he has probably been our best half back over the last few bad years. Must actually be tough on him after all the years starring on bad Carlow teams to miss out when we are having a run like this. If we had a fit Benny Kavanagh & an available Hughie Gahan, then maybe we could talk about serious changes to that half back line.

The Real 1944 (Carlow) - Posts: 1114 - 11/07/2017 21:38:38    2015262

Link

I think both of those lads have been important players this year with turnovers and physicality. More needed than just pace to be in the spine of the back line. With the two half backs, Crowley, Lawlor, moloy, rennick you have loads of pace. Redmond, murphy, ledger etc do the donkey stuff and let the runners work away. If they were exposed you'd be worried but when they play with so many numbers back it rarely happened. Not even against Dublin

Hometown45 (Carlow) - Posts: 199 - 11/07/2017 22:25:43    2015299

Link

I see you r point hometown. I agree the system makes the most of the players we have. However eventually the individual parts will be examined and might not pass the test. I think that st ledger is always away from the action when it comes to defending. Decent going forwaRd but is that what's needed most. Welford exposed us badly under high ball.yes we held out fairly well Against Dublin but we were playing for a moral victory. We need an actual victory Saturday which requires getting forward more and that's where we might come unstuck at back. A basic level of acceleration is a must for intercontinental players no matter what the system. If a team really runs at us through the middle we might suffer.

Bimb (Carlow) - Posts: 434 - 11/07/2017 22:50:24    2015310

Link

will be interesting to see how we fare against the Monaghan men who I presume will bring a sizeable support. In McManus they have probably one of if not the top forward in the country - to be fair don't think we have anyone who will hold him, hard to see how we could when a lot of sides don't. They certainly will expect to pull through this one so maybe that is to our advantage ....

Bainisteoir (National) - Posts: 480 - 12/07/2017 10:22:27    2015421

Link

Going to go to this game since I live not too far away I think it should be a cracker...Whats best place to park and pub to drink in ...coming in from Portlaoise Side!

BigJohn.6_8 (Galway) - Posts: 704 - 12/07/2017 15:53:12    2015672

Link

Hello carlow gaels...thinking of going down early to watch the tipp/armagh game...any suggestions of public houses with good tv and not far from pitch would be appreciated...

thehut (Monaghan) - Posts: 33 - 13/07/2017 01:10:49    2015883

Link

Nearest pub is Seven oaks hotel ..... Still a good 20 mins walk. but if Carlow Hurling Club is showing the games it is only 100 metres from Netwatch Cullen Park. Maybe the Club will let us know on this page if they are showing the Tipp Armagh game. Enjoy your day in Carlow. Tipp and Carlow to win!!

novalis (Carlow) - Posts: 276 - 13/07/2017 05:44:21    2015895

Link

Also good spots on the old Dublin road opposite the Court House are Carpe Diem and the Irishman's pubs - both beside each other. Also about 20 mins handy walk up to the ground ... probably better atmosphere there

Bainisteoir (National) - Posts: 480 - 13/07/2017 15:47:08    2016149

Link

Irishmans would be my bet for a crowd and craic. Pints aren't too bad either
Looking forward to the weekend. Haven't had two D1 teams in champ in a long time. Hope there will be a massive crowd

Hometown45 (Carlow) - Posts: 199 - 13/07/2017 15:55:28    2016152

Link

Thanks lads/lassies....shud be a good crowd travelling but not anywhere near the dubs support... Looking forward to it..great to get away from attritional Ulster championship football

thehut (Monaghan) - Posts: 33 - 13/07/2017 17:01:52    2016183

Link

Carpe Diem is a very good pub and the Irishamn'sis also a good pub and they are about 15 min walk from Cullen Park. The Hurling Club does not have a bar at the moment. Irishman's has a car park behind it. Hope its a great match.... better to be there at the pitch I think! Better atmosphere! The Rugby Club is about 300 metres away from Cullen Park and they have a fine club house with SKY TV. Possible to cone into it from the Laois side and avoid all the traffic through the Town.

carlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 1521 - 13/07/2017 18:58:59    2016229

Link

Any news on team for tomorrow? Monaghan strong team announced - not surprising it's the same line-up that hammered Wexford.
Best of luck to our lads. They won't be going in just to compete. Carlow have grown in confidence and belief this year. But on the field of play we have pace, we are physical and we have players with tremendous skill levels.
Monaghan will not have it their own way. They will have to watch our forwards Gannon Moran Broderick Foley, we probably have the best 2 midfielders in the Country and a rock solid defence who conceded no goals to Dublin and Leitrim.
Can't wait for tomorrow, will be in my seat an hour before throw-in. Big supporter for Carlow tomorrow.
Carlow to win!!

novalis (Carlow) - Posts: 276 - 14/07/2017 10:05:47    2016402

Link

Any news on team for tomorrow? Monaghan strong team announced - not surprising it's the same line-up that hammered Wexford.
Best of luck to our lads. They won't be going in just to compete. Carlow have grown in confidence and belief this year. But on the field of play we have pace, we are physical and we have players with tremendous skill levels.
Monaghan will not have it their own way. They will have to watch our forwards Gannon Moran Broderick Foley, we probably have the best 2 midfielders in the Country and a rock solid defence who conceded no goals to Dublin and Leitrim.
Can't wait for tomorrow, will be in my seat an hour before throw-in. Big supporter for Carlow tomorrow.
Carlow to win!!

novalis (Carlow) - Posts: 276 - 14/07/2017 10:09:22    2016403

Link

Replying To Bimb:  "I see you r point hometown. I agree the system makes the most of the players we have. However eventually the individual parts will be examined and might not pass the test. I think that st ledger is always away from the action when it comes to defending. Decent going forwaRd but is that what's needed most. Welford exposed us badly under high ball.yes we held out fairly well Against Dublin but we were playing for a moral victory. We need an actual victory Saturday which requires getting forward more and that's where we might come unstuck at back. A basic level of acceleration is a must for intercontinental players no matter what the system. If a team really runs at us through the middle we might suffer."
Ya Bimp - think you have it there - we have to go at it this time rather than sit back in 'damage limitations mode' like against the Dubs and that will expose us in the back. McManus can score from nearly literally anywhere so it will be interesting to see how they can cope with him. We will be playing way above our grade so let us see how it goes.

PS I hope the fire brigade are down at NCP tonight and flood the pitch, heavy conditions would probably suit us.

Bainisteoir (National) - Posts: 480 - 14/07/2017 10:27:38    2016411

Link

Hoping for a massive performance. Hopefully we play like a team that has nothing to loose. Altough we can attack at pace we have a lot of slow players which could be our downfall. Also I think brodreick is our only tip drawer forward. That said I think moran adds a lot to the team. Saying our mid field is the best in the country is a bit much at this stage but certainly I expect them to prove their quality Saturday. Sean Murphy style of play should make him a national sensation but sadly the lack of exposure especially in Sunday game means he won't get the recognition he deserves.

Bimb (Carlow) - Posts: 434 - 14/07/2017 10:37:59    2016416

Link