Carlow Forum

Footballers 2017

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Imagine if this group stays the same next year that they will progress the attacking side of the system a little bit more. It seems that the foundation will be laid on defence first and then the rest can be worked on as they go forward. Very similar to Donegal in their early years under McGuinness . I'm not comparing decide to Donegal with the general system seems to be the same. As In year one of a couple of years of work

Hometown45 (Carlow) - Posts: 199 - 29/06/2017 12:57:29    2007412

Link

No Leitrim have not escaped to Div 3, not since the current format came in 2008. Only them, ourselves & London have not gone up.

fergie (Carlow) - Posts: 1102 - 29/06/2017 13:22:22    2007429

Link

Anyone know why O'Neill isn't with the panel anymore?

If we beat Leitrim we will be Live on Sky again the following weekend on Sat 15th of July according to Gaa website

arsebiscuits (Carlow) - Posts: 56 - 29/06/2017 15:47:45    2007526

Link

Is O'Neill gone from panel?? Great prospect and his day will come but you have got to stick with the panel.
Silly move if he left because he wasn't called in the last few games. The future is in the young players and we have some very good talent coming through in the next few years. But they have got to learn and not expect to walk onto teams when the management decide there are better options!!

Best of luck vs Leitrim. Should be a big turn-out!!

novalis (Carlow) - Posts: 276 - 29/06/2017 17:29:10    2007581

Link

Replying To fergie:  "No Leitrim have not escaped to Div 3, not since the current format came in 2008. Only them, ourselves & London have not gone up."
Leitrim definitely went up about 6/7 years ago before coming straight back down.

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1242 - 29/06/2017 18:19:40    2007646

Link

They didn't go up no, check it out. Wicklow & even Waterford went up but came straight back down but Leitrim never went up. They win 2 FBD Leagues though.

fergie (Carlow) - Posts: 1102 - 29/06/2017 23:45:47    2007760

Link

Best of luck in this one, ye have a good team and delighted to see the supporters not getting carried away and putting pressure on the players.
Time and patience is the key and ye have the quality to win Div. 4 (where we will be playing this year) and give Div.3 a good rattle.
A win this weekend would be a good start..

Lobo (Laois) - Posts: 258 - 30/06/2017 13:09:52    2007925

Link

Replying To fergie:  "They didn't go up no, check it out. Wicklow & even Waterford went up but came straight back down but Leitrim never went up. They win 2 FBD Leagues though."
I was sure they were up in Div3 at some stage and having checked I see it was in 2008 which as you say was the first year the league was restructured. So, unlike ourselves and London, they have been out of Div 4 albeit they weren't promoted from it (directly at least).

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1242 - 30/06/2017 15:54:07    2008028

Link

Is Brendan definitely suspended or is there any grounds for appeal? Big loss if he is. But saying that If carlow go with the right mindset stick to the game plan they have every chance in winning the game even without Brendan. Whoever wins will most likely play Armagh Monaghan or tipp/ cavan. Hopefully we can beat leatrim and keep the summer going

dcarlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 155 - 03/07/2017 10:23:08    2009426

Link

Replying To dcarlowman:  "Is Brendan definitely suspended or is there any grounds for appeal? Big loss if he is. But saying that If carlow go with the right mindset stick to the game plan they have every chance in winning the game even without Brendan. Whoever wins will most likely play Armagh Monaghan or tipp/ cavan. Hopefully we can beat leatrim and keep the summer going"
No don't think he has any grounds left after accumulating so many cards. Anyone hear that Jordan Morrissey has been added tp panel?

dead_as_dodos (Carlow) - Posts: 459 - 03/07/2017 12:30:14    2009552

Link

I did predict we would have our day out against Dublin and it was not a bad one
I also predicted we could get a run in the qualifiers
London win was nervy and cagey - We need to replicate the performance against Wexford and if we do we will beat Leitrim
Brendan Murphy is a brilliant player and really passionate, but we are not a one man team anymore .
I think barring a meltdown we will do it on Saturday
If we do would be hoping to get Armagh, Tipp or Cavan at DCP and that would constitute a good run
After that its pure bonus territory.

Blackbog (Carlow) - Posts: 527 - 03/07/2017 18:24:47    2009868

Link

Replying To dcarlowman:  "Is Brendan definitely suspended or is there any grounds for appeal? Big loss if he is. But saying that If carlow go with the right mindset stick to the game plan they have every chance in winning the game even without Brendan. Whoever wins will most likely play Armagh Monaghan or tipp/ cavan. Hopefully we can beat leatrim and keep the summer going"
He is definitely suspended this time. He was a black/red card away from being banned before the Dublin game. That red was overturned to 1 yellow, so he was ok then to play London. Then he went and got another red card so that now results in a 1 game ban.

He is obviously a massive loss, but hopefully we can work around it. Leitrim are also missing their best player Emlyn Mulligan who did his cruciate since we played them in the league.

The Real 1944 (Carlow) - Posts: 1114 - 03/07/2017 18:34:43    2009881

Link

Replying To Blackbog:  "I did predict we would have our day out against Dublin and it was not a bad one
I also predicted we could get a run in the qualifiers
London win was nervy and cagey - We need to replicate the performance against Wexford and if we do we will beat Leitrim
Brendan Murphy is a brilliant player and really passionate, but we are not a one man team anymore .
I think barring a meltdown we will do it on Saturday
If we do would be hoping to get Armagh, Tipp or Cavan at DCP and that would constitute a good run
After that its pure bonus territory."
Blackbog,

That's a nice name you've got. I always enjoy your positive posts, but starting to speculate about who we'll get in the next round is pure fantasy stuff.

We'll be at the pin of our collar to beat this crew and we need to focus on that first. Without Brendan it will be more difficult again.

A part of me is looking forward to the challenge the rest of the team face and how they will cope. They will have derived a bit of confidence from the year so far, so it wouldn't surprise me if they pulled it off.

Here's hoping.

Blackbogger (Carlow) - Posts: 162 - 03/07/2017 21:21:22    2009979

Link

Yes I heard that about Morrissey being called into to the panel after his Leaving Cert.
Only saw him play once for the county minors. He is a very special talent and only 17 years old! Big, strong, fast and scores a fair bit. We'll hardly see him getting a run this year but I like the way O' Brien is thinking of the future!!

Looking forward to Saturday.

novalis (Carlow) - Posts: 276 - 03/07/2017 21:44:31    2009994

Link

Replying To Blackbogger:  "Blackbog,

That's a nice name you've got. I always enjoy your positive posts, but starting to speculate about who we'll get in the next round is pure fantasy stuff.

We'll be at the pin of our collar to beat this crew and we need to focus on that first. Without Brendan it will be more difficult again.

A part of me is looking forward to the challenge the rest of the team face and how they will cope. They will have derived a bit of confidence from the year so far, so it wouldn't surprise me if they pulled it off.

Here's hoping."
Yes a good name and for very good reasons
I think your post reflects a sense of speculation and no harm there.
if i were to say who will we get in the Quarter finals, that's fantasy. Beating Leitrim is not fantasy it is a reasonable forecast
Anyway I will be there with my colours . my 3rd Carlow championship match in one year. How's that for fantasy!!

Blackbog (Carlow) - Posts: 527 - 03/07/2017 22:17:21    2010014

Link

Replying To novalis:  "Yes I heard that about Morrissey being called into to the panel after his Leaving Cert.
Only saw him play once for the county minors. He is a very special talent and only 17 years old! Big, strong, fast and scores a fair bit. We'll hardly see him getting a run this year but I like the way O' Brien is thinking of the future!!

Looking forward to Saturday."
You never know. Remember the Louth game last year and he started Darren Lunney. That came from nowhere and it didn't work. We've hardly seen the kid since apart from an O'Byrne Cup game since.
Morrissey is a serious talent, and as he proved in the mfc game v Westmeath where he got the winning goal & again v Wexford when thrown in full forward he got 2 goals.
Might be an option off the bench if needed.

The Real 1944 (Carlow) - Posts: 1114 - 03/07/2017 23:31:04    2010053

Link

Has Jordan Morrissey played a senior game for EO yet? Just curious.

fergie (Carlow) - Posts: 1102 - 04/07/2017 19:31:43    2010665

Link

Replying To The Real 1944:  "You never know. Remember the Louth game last year and he started Darren Lunney. That came from nowhere and it didn't work. We've hardly seen the kid since apart from an O'Byrne Cup game since.
Morrissey is a serious talent, and as he proved in the mfc game v Westmeath where he got the winning goal & again v Wexford when thrown in full forward he got 2 goals.
Might be an option off the bench if needed."
Throwing a 17-year-old in is a crazy idea... I hope he's just in for the experience... Does anybody know what has happened to Lunney, by the way?... Odd to start a championship game, just out of minor, and never start again...

CARPS (Carlow) - Posts: 352 - 04/07/2017 20:12:28    2010680

Link

Any major changes to the team for this weekend? Moran in for B Murphy and Gannon move to midfield? Or will the management try freshen things up a bit

Carlowman44 (Carlow) - Posts: 10 - 06/07/2017 07:06:09    2011284

Link

Hope your rift carlow man. Sean Murphy Sean gannon mid field partnership could win it for us.

Bimb (Carlow) - Posts: 434 - 06/07/2017 10:45:42    2011401

Link