Limerick Forum

Limerick minor 2015

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

leo was manager of the u21's for 3 years in total. he didn't cover himself in glory for the first 2 years but that munster final in '11 will live long in the memory. This year was a real dissappointment for the minors. I feel that they probably beat the best team in the competition, Cork, but got it all wrong from there on. I did not agree with having such a high profile coach involved as it would have put unnecessary pressure on Leo and may have even undermined him. The Daly experiment was and is a mistake. All our under age teams were well beaten in the various comps last weekend.

lowballs (Limerick) - Posts: 208 - 04/09/2015 11:34:03    1781916

Link

I didn't see all the minor matches this year but of those that I did see, I thought there was a massive gap between the quality of the 2014 and 2015 teams. The 2014 team was our best minor team since 1984 and they should have won it out last year. I didn't have a lot of sympathy for Brian Ryan as I genuinely believed that they made a mess of the selections.

I didn't share the criticism of the 2015 management team. They had a weaker hand to play with and I thought they tried everything to make the best fist of it that they could - including changing around the team. I think it's a bit too easy to criticize at times. It's a tough job and requires an enormous amount of time and effort so Leo and his team deserve our thanks and respect for that. I did think that he made a mess of the Dowling free issue against Galway in the 2011 U21 semifinal but that's past and we all make mistakes. Also it now looks like that was a hell of a good Galway U21 side which we didn't appreciate at the time.

There seemed to me to be a general quality drop off in the talent level this year versus prior across all the counties excepting Cork who would probably have gone well but for the loss of Kingston. In my view, apart from the outstanding Peter Casey, nobody else on the current minor team played like a potential senior player. I was expecting more of O'Flanagan who was well marked particularly by Cork in the Gaelic Grounds. He certainly has physique so he might yet turn out as a senior player and I liked him last year.

I would suggest that people like Ger Hegarty and Shane Fitzgibbon who have already done the job are viable contenders. They were both very unlucky to lose games by very small margins. I wouldn't mind a guy like Ciaran Carey in a role with the minors either.

Dealer (Limerick) - Posts: 762 - 04/09/2015 11:44:44    1781924

Link

Wouldn't be Leo's biggest fan either as a player or on the line. Actually, marked the man years back on more than one occasion!

However, City Gael, you win quote of the thread for 2015, "Totally unreasonable expectations at all levels in this county".

shoulderghost (Limerick) - Posts: 863 - 04/09/2015 12:54:12    1782026

Link

I think getting Daly as the academy leader was and is a real coup for Limerick. He must be a very inspirational character especially for kids. That's a long term appointment in my opinion so I would withhold judgement for at least another year. Also we need to breed them to have them and top quality hurlers are rare and treasured things.

Dealer (Limerick) - Posts: 762 - 04/09/2015 14:31:25    1782147

Link

What are our expectations in Limerick??? I'm just wondering!Counties like clare, offaly and wexford have won all-irelands in the last 20 years. Galway hopefully will add to that list on sunday evening. Id safely say we have more money spent on our teams than any of the counties i mentioned above. So what are our expectations? Could someone give a reasonable answer?

brud (Limerick) - Posts: 943 - 04/09/2015 15:39:57    1782219

Link

Is it an unreasonable expectation that we have a settled team? Is it an unreasonable expectation that a team with 8 Munster minor medal winners should at least perform against a Tipperary team that their own manager described as not one of the stronger tipp minor teams? The more excuses we make the less likely we are to become a winning county

disillusiondfan (Limerick) - Posts: 4279 - 04/09/2015 15:42:04    1782224

Link

Dealer
County: Limerick

1781924 I didn't see all the minor matches this year but of those that I did see, I thought there was a massive gap between the quality of the 2014 and 2015 teams. The 2014 team was our best minor team since 1984 and they should have won it out last year. I didn't have a lot of sympathy for Brian Ryan as I genuinely believed that they made a mess of the selections.

I didn't share the criticism of the 2015 management team. They had a weaker hand to play with and I thought they tried everything to make the best fist of it that they could - including changing around the team. I think it's a bit too easy to criticize at times. It's a tough job and requires an enormous amount of time and effort so Leo and his team deserve our thanks and respect for that. I did think that he made a mess of the Dowling free issue against Galway in the 2011 U21 semifinal but that's past and we all make mistakes. Also it now looks like that was a hell of a good Galway U21 side which we didn't appreciate at the time.

There seemed to me to be a general quality drop off in the talent level this year versus prior across all the counties excepting Cork who would probably have gone well but for the loss of Kingston. In my view, apart from the outstanding Peter Casey, nobody else on the current minor team played like a potential senior player. I was expecting more of O'Flanagan who was well marked particularly by Cork in the Gaelic Grounds. He certainly has physique so he might yet turn out as a senior player and I liked him last year.

I would suggest that people like Ger Hegarty and Shane Fitzgibbon who have already done the job are viable contenders. They were both very unlucky to lose games by very small margins. I wouldn't mind a guy like Ciaran Carey in a role with the minors either

Very fair post dealer i'd agree with of that its some commitment to look after any team let alone a county team and some people should not forget that.

Lowballs if my info is correct we had one of our best if not defo the best player sent off v early in the u16 match v kk so that should be taken into consideration plus lads we jut can't have top underage teams every year it wasn't so long ago when we were getting hockeyed regularly at minor etc.Please some of ye don't come back saying i'm accepting mediocrity as i'm not i'm just pointing out some facts.

someday (Limerick) - Posts: 1093 - 04/09/2015 16:15:23    1782247

Link

Maybe, irrespective of whoever is manager, we should follows Tipp's lead and facilitate/encourage dual players? It might actually benefit both codes, by developing fitter, stronger, more battle-hardened players.

football first (None) - Posts: 1227 - 04/09/2015 16:45:45    1782272

Link

Football first playing both games would be a big advantage from a football perspective and it is a huge achievement for Tipp to make both finals. However they were helped in no small measure by the fact that this is one of the poorest minor championships in memory. Tipp played poor waterford n Clare teams and a Limerick team who failed to fire all year ( Tipp were even missing their captain). It's been a long time since a minor Munster was won so easily. After that they had an average DUblin to contend with. If the standard of hurling c ship had been higher I doubt Tipp would have made hurling final with multiple players involved in both codes. Indeed if they lose on Sunday the few weeks that the dual players missed playing hurling will soon become an issue down premier way.

disillusiondfan (Limerick) - Posts: 4279 - 04/09/2015 18:59:59    1782354

Link

Brud
Whatever the money we spent on our teams the approach of our County Board to bringing on young players is questionable. Every year we enter teams in the Arrabawn tournament. Yet we have adult championship on for the past few years in the weekend these competitions are on. Why employ a high powered Manager to help develop our young players and then make our under 17s unavailable to take part in a major competition by having championship games on that weekend?. Why has our County Board not approached those who organise the Harty Cup and ascertain why it is alright to have amalgamated college sides in equivalent competition in Leinster but not in Munster? These are just two issues I would have with the way the Board does its business. Another bug bear is why a town and huge rural parish like Abbeyfeale can get away without entering any hurling team in any competition, when a small parish like nearby Duagh in football mad Kerry can. As late as yesterday I saw young people carrying hurleys in three different parts of the town, yet old dinosaurs in Fr Casey's club will not allow a hurley into the club grounds.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2914 - 05/09/2015 13:31:18    1782743

Link

Brud
Whatever the money we spent on our teams the approach of our County Board to bringing on young players is questionable. Every year we enter teams in the Arrabawn tournament. Yet we have adult championship on for the past few years in the weekend these competitions are on. Why employ a high powered Manager to help develop our young players and then make our under 17s unavailable to take part in a major competition by having championship games on that weekend?. Why has our County Board not approached those who organise the Harty Cup and ascertain why it is alright to have amalgamated college sides in equivalent competition in Leinster but not in Munster? These are just two issues I would have with the way the Board does its business. Another bug bear is why a town and huge rural parish like Abbeyfeale can get away without entering any hurling team in any competition, when a small parish like nearby Duagh in football mad Kerry can. As late as yesterday I saw young people carrying hurleys in three different parts of the town, yet old dinosaurs in Fr Casey's club will not allow a hurley into the club grounds.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2914 - 05/09/2015 13:36:15    1782749

Link

Old tour man I thought Abbeyfeale play hurling with Templeglantain and Templeglantain play football with Abbeyfeale like Tour and Mountcollins. I agree with you on Harty cup we should push for amalgamation teams, one in the West and one in the South, but it was the bigger schools who voted against amalgamations even the ones from Limerick which was disappointing.

DUALSUPPORT (Limerick) - Posts: 925 - 05/09/2015 20:13:01    1782993

Link

Well DS there was a hurling team in Athea in the past and Athea people have played for both Templeglantine and Tour in hurling. My point is that with its big population, both urban and rural ,and with some help from Athea players Fr Casey's could easily have a hurling team of its own, if properly promoted. Tour and Mouncollins are the one parish which is different and Templeglantine is actually a stand alone parish where hurling is the main game.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2914 - 06/09/2015 12:28:27    1783206

Link

Coaching seriously lacking in Limerick u17 and minor teams - have witnessed it several times this year - watched challenge games where players crying out for guidance on the pitch and 5 or 6 mentors standing on sideline in silence ! Baffles me that !

Kerouac (Limerick) - Posts: 33 - 06/09/2015 20:42:53    1783546

Link

Congrats to Galway but from a Limerick perspective this is yet another one that got away. We made so many selection errors in QF that I couldn't go I to all of them and still we ran Galway to 4 points. In terms of selecting management teams our county board must now be held accountable. We have had a chance 3 years in a row to win a minor title with last years team being one of the best minor teams ever to leave our county and one of the best in Ireland in recent times. Our senior team management this year was an embarrassing debacle. At what point will the three main people responsible for appointing these management teams be held accountable? At what point will we say not any more? They have 2 management teams to appoint now and based on all appointments made to date ( with exception of this years 21s ) there is no reason to have any confidence in their ability to deliver.

disillusiondfan (Limerick) - Posts: 4279 - 06/09/2015 20:58:19    1783567

Link

DF

With regard to the minors this yr was disappointing no doubt about it and I totally agree with you when you say there was mistakes made I thought moving o loughlin up front would have benefited this team but to be fair they're the ones at the training and whatever matches they play.I also think that we beat the best team in the competition this yr in cork they should have been out of sight and that was even without their best player Kingston so Cork were in hard luck[by the way in case you think i'm apologising for beating cork I jumped for joy when the final whistle went]
Saying we came within 4 points of Galway is true but that was Galway's first match and they would have improved immeasurably after that game which I think is fair as Limk and Tipp were of the same standard more or less but Galway with the extra games behind them blew tipp away yest.I think the count board should appoint Joe quaid now and give him a go at it but doubt that'll happen

someday (Limerick) - Posts: 1093 - 07/09/2015 09:25:57    1783669

Link

Someday if we had beaten Galway then they wouldnt have had any more games to improve and we did run tipp to 3 points in their own back yard. Moving O Loughlin would have improved our team immeasurably if we played him at 11 or 14 in a three man f forward line. Anyone playing as part of a tw man f forward lie needs to have speed to burn and playing O Loughlin at 11 and Murphy inside with Casey was the correct call. It is a basic of hurling that a 2 man f forward line without speed is just a waste of time.

disillusiondfan (Limerick) - Posts: 4279 - 07/09/2015 13:04:05    1783941

Link

Again Df i agree when you say moving o loughlin up to the forwards would have helped and of course had we beaten Galway they obviously wouldn't improve but can you honestly say if we had scraped over Galway that we'd have beaten kk?Galway kind of robbed them and of course we'll never know but for me had we met them there would have been only one outcome

someday (Limerick) - Posts: 1093 - 08/09/2015 09:24:08    1784337

Link

Someday I think you are missing the point. I would ask how come kk couldn't beat what was described by a Galway official as one of Galways poorest minor sides a Galway that we hammered at U 16 and U17. In the final they beat a Tipp team who were described as not one of Tipps better minor sides by their own manager. By your own admission we made simple obvious mistakes that left us off our best. We didn't really need to be much better to beat what was in this competition.one simple fact is the man of the match in the Munster final was left on the same market for 60 mins and he was actually taken off last Sunday. Be under no illusion this was a poor c ship and one we should have done far better in than we did.

disillusiondfan (Limerick) - Posts: 4279 - 08/09/2015 11:39:43    1784468

Link

Oldtourman- valid point regards the town of abbeyfeale but i don't think there mindset will ever change. There football and that seems to be that unfortunately. Id be more worried about a number of clubs in Limerick with hurling tradition and what actual work there doing at underage. Clubs like hospital/herbertstown, cappamore, claughaun and caherline are all playing there hurling in the 3rd tier in Limerick and struggling at that level. Croom are also in trouble. Askeaton failed to compete in the west junior championship. Fedamore are in a mess. All these clubs have decent picks and decent size towns. There is even secondary schools in some of the towns i mentioned with large population. These are the areas in Limerick we need to tackle as they have good hurling people involved in there clubs.

brud (Limerick) - Posts: 943 - 08/09/2015 14:34:52    1784641

Link