Limerick Forum

Official Limerick Senior Hurling 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To jonnyhogan:  "Hi. Could anyone tell me if clare and tipp win on saturday. Who do Limerick play in da semi?"
If that is the case, there will be a draw to complete semi final line up !!

Mossy73 (Limerick) - Posts: 32 - 18/11/2020 15:57:02    2311112

Link

Replying To jonnyhogan:  "Hi. Could anyone tell me if clare and tipp win on saturday. Who do Limerick play in da semi?"
jonny i didnt see you on the wexford page in ages...))

munsterchamps (Limerick) - Posts: 876 - 18/11/2020 16:15:23    2311122

Link

Sound

jonnyhogan (Tipperary) - Posts: 54 - 18/11/2020 16:25:06    2311128

Link

This per Limerick Leader
THERE are three potential opponents for Limerick in the All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship semi final.
What is confirmed is that Limerick will play in the semi final on Sunday November 29 at 4pm in Croke Park. The game will be live on both RTE television and Sky Sports.
The other semi final, involving Kilkenny, takes place on Saturday November 28 at 6pm - again in Croke Park and again live on both TV stations.

So Limerick can't play Kilkenny in the semi final and neither can Limerick play Waterford as provincial final repeats are ruled out.
So that leaves Galway, Clare or Tipperary to face John Kiely's men in the semi final.
Repeat pairings are avoided where possible, so unless both Clare and Tipperary are quarter final winners, there will be no need for a draw.
If Galway beat Tipperary, they will play Limerick regardless of the other quarter final result.
If Tipperary beat Galway, then the result of the other quarter final comes into play. If Waterford are winners, Tipperary will play Limerick - if Clare are winners, then a semi final draw will take place to determine if it's a repeat against Clare or Tipperary for Limerick.
If Waterford beat Clare, Limerick will play the winner of Galway-Tipperary.
If Clare beat Waterford, Limerick will play Galway if they beat Tipperary and if Tipperary are winners, then a semi final draw will take place to determine if it's a repeat against Clare or Tipperary for Limerick.

PatOLogical (Limerick) - Posts: 1157 - 18/11/2020 19:12:40    2311179

Link

Yep, looks like we will play the winners of Tipp/Galway - unless on the chance that both Tipp and Clare both win and then it would be a draw where its a 50/50 chance we play Tipp anyway.

Do we want Tipp or Galway ? leaning towards preferring Tipp for me - we have the better of them of late, a few older players and 3 weeks in a row could hinder them a little - a real tough match on Sat, extra time even, could pick up an injury or a sending off. Preferring Tipp is not in any way thinking they are a bad team or anything - they would be really up for beating us to put to bed any comments that last years AI wasn't softer with route they took after Munster final - Laois, Wex and KK.

LimkABU (Limerick) - Posts: 58 - 19/11/2020 14:14:03    2311410

Link

Hoping on an improvement on my miserable 25% success on last weekends four Liam Mc predictions. So here goes this weekend.

Tipp v Galway. Looking at the team announcements last night I can only see a Galway win. Aidan Harte back in the corner with Daithi Burke & Shane Cooney. I can't see the Tipp forwards winning this battle. On the other hand David Burke, Canning & Whelan at the other end will get the upper hand! The one caveat is that Galway don't switch off. I'm convinced that Galway thought they had KK beaten last week. Five points up and flying, Canning went for an ambitious sideline pass and 1 min later KK were two goals up. So verdict Galway

Waterford v Clare.
When this draw came out I immediately thought Waterford. However, as the week went on and after team announcements I'm starting to change my mind. Shane Fives out is an interruption in the FB line. They only have a 6 day turn a round after straining the reserve tank on Sunday.
Clare on the other hand named an unchanged team - leaving McInnerney & Shannaher on the the bench. This is a big confidence boost to the lads. This along with the massive leg up from beating Davys' Wexford might just be enough to see them through after extra time. Verdict Clare.

So my €10 PP accumulated this week is Galway, Kerry & Clare.

Seeking_silver (Limerick) - Posts: 266 - 21/11/2020 09:19:20    2311930

Link

Replying To Seeking_silver:  "Hoping on an improvement on my miserable 25% success on last weekends four Liam Mc predictions. So here goes this weekend.

Tipp v Galway. Looking at the team announcements last night I can only see a Galway win. Aidan Harte back in the corner with Daithi Burke & Shane Cooney. I can't see the Tipp forwards winning this battle. On the other hand David Burke, Canning & Whelan at the other end will get the upper hand! The one caveat is that Galway don't switch off. I'm convinced that Galway thought they had KK beaten last week. Five points up and flying, Canning went for an ambitious sideline pass and 1 min later KK were two goals up. So verdict Galway

Waterford v Clare.
When this draw came out I immediately thought Waterford. However, as the week went on and after team announcements I'm starting to change my mind. Shane Fives out is an interruption in the FB line. They only have a 6 day turn a round after straining the reserve tank on Sunday.
Clare on the other hand named an unchanged team - leaving McInnerney & Shannaher on the the bench. This is a big confidence boost to the lads. This along with the massive leg up from beating Davys' Wexford might just be enough to see them through after extra time. Verdict Clare.

So my €10 PP accumulated this week is Galway, Kerry & Clare."
A lot of pundits are giving Tipp a fair shout this weekend.
Think that the pitch in Limerick will have a say and plays in tipp's favour. I agree though with your Galway prediction. They are a very physical side. They should be fired up , beat Tipp and they could get revenge on both Limerick and Kilkenny and have 7 days gap unlike Waterford.
The Déise looked out of gas at the end of last week's match while Clare looked full energy even though this will be their 4th weekend in a row. Something tells me though that Cahill will have his boys well primed. So I'm going to go with Galway& Waterford

Mads (Limerick) - Posts: 200 - 21/11/2020 12:39:12    2311976

Link

Galway tomorrow week time to get the flags up. Will the 3 weeks in a row hinder Galway and help us and what about the Galway management and their inside knowledge of us. Galway are big strong and physical like ourselves but do we also have the legs to expose them. Looking forward to it already.

updwell (Limerick) - Posts: 409 - 21/11/2020 17:45:52    2312090

Link

So we are back to where we want to be. This match has been 15 months in the waiting for this limerick team. Galway will be a huge task but one I feel limerick are well equipped for. This group have a strong inner belief now only added to by the return of Caroline Currid and the motivation to right the wrongs of the AI semi last year.

After watching galway closely a few things stand out to me. They are very fit and motivated this year. They seem to be playing a very simple game plan which is at times quite direct. Cathal mannion and conor whelan in attack are playing very well and will need minding. Mannion is dropping very deep but is full of confidence in front of goal from distance and short range and is covering some mileage in games. He was by far the MOTM yesterday for me. Whelan is a goal first corner forward sonid imagine finn will be tasked to look after him. We all saw what dessie Hutchinson did yesterday which only emphasises the tremendous job finn did on him in Munster final.

Galway have issues. In particular in defense and midfield. Shane cooney Gearoid mcinerney and fintan burke are all struggling somewhat for me to adapt to what they are being asked to. Limerick neee to exploit this. Johnny coen and Padraig mannion lost the midfield battle yesterday badly i thought. Galway would love to have david burke back to his powerful best here for next week but he doesnt seem to be right at the moment.

I also think Galway have an issue at 14. Niall burke and conor cooney are not giving Shane o neill much confidence there ahead of sunday. How theyd love johnny glynn to be there?? All that said galway are a good team and have beaten tipp when up against it.

I think the 3rd weekend out in a row might be a factor especially as galway do have some players not firing at the moment. Theyll need 20 players to get over limerick as bodies will tire in croke park next Sunday.

People will also look at limerick and say they have issues in the full back line and the correct place to play kyle hayes. I think dan morrissey has been excellent all year so full back is sorted for me. I always felt hed be fine there and so far so good. It would be a big call to put richie English straight into the team at 4 move barry to 7 and Kyle to 11. Clearly the more conservative and possibly correct thing to do is bring DoD to 9 and cian to 11 but I just wonder would kiely like to have hayes bombing through that galway hb line. The HF line seem to struggle the last day without hayes but hayes was excellent being back. Kiely might leave nash there as he does seem to be settling. This is the big call for me for this weekend. That and Flanagan. I still think kiely will want him fresh for last 20 mins when galway will inevitably tire.

It's a fascinating match up with Shane o neill and john Fitzgerald 2 na piarsaigh men on the Galway sideline. I feel limerick are set up nicely for this weekend. They have had 3 good matches, good rest now, ideal 2 week break, wont lack motivation and croke park suits us down to the ground. Cant wait. Luimneach Abu.

daveboy (Limerick) - Posts: 485 - 22/11/2020 10:01:25    2312542

Link

So it's Galway after all. I've consistently held the view that the two best hurling teams did not get to play in the All Ireland final last year and recent results, bear that out. Galway are difficult opponents for us as they match up well with us from both physicality and athletic perspectives. I'd have a lot of respect for the Galway forwards who can hurt you if they're given space and time.

It's going to take a massive effort from Limerick to win this game in Croke Park which is a ground where Galway have more experience than us at. I've every confidence that Limerick can win but for me, this is the BIG one. John Kiely will be very conscious that we came unstuck at this stage last year. The big decision will be how will he deploy Kyle Hayes and Cian Lynch bearing in mind what Kyle did to Gearoid McInerney in the 2018 final. Personally, I reckon that Kiely has decided to play Hayes as a wing back this year to shore up that line following the shift of Dan to full back. That will possibly mean deploying Darragh O'Donovan to midfield with Cian Lynch at center forward

However, I suspect that JK might want to spring a surprise with Daithi Burke in mind and play Shamie Flangan at full forward to try and free up Gillane and put the Galway backs under a bit more pressure from the outset. I reckon that we're going to have to put up a score to win this so attacking the Galway backs will be essential. The countdown is on.

Dealer (Limerick) - Posts: 725 - 22/11/2020 18:38:46    2313123

Link

Replying To Dealer:  "So it's Galway after all. I've consistently held the view that the two best hurling teams did not get to play in the All Ireland final last year and recent results, bear that out. Galway are difficult opponents for us as they match up well with us from both physicality and athletic perspectives. I'd have a lot of respect for the Galway forwards who can hurt you if they're given space and time.

It's going to take a massive effort from Limerick to win this game in Croke Park which is a ground where Galway have more experience than us at. I've every confidence that Limerick can win but for me, this is the BIG one. John Kiely will be very conscious that we came unstuck at this stage last year. The big decision will be how will he deploy Kyle Hayes and Cian Lynch bearing in mind what Kyle did to Gearoid McInerney in the 2018 final. Personally, I reckon that Kiely has decided to play Hayes as a wing back this year to shore up that line following the shift of Dan to full back. That will possibly mean deploying Darragh O'Donovan to midfield with Cian Lynch at center forward

However, I suspect that JK might want to spring a surprise with Daithi Burke in mind and play Shamie Flangan at full forward to try and free up Gillane and put the Galway backs under a bit more pressure from the outset. I reckon that we're going to have to put up a score to win this so attacking the Galway backs will be essential. The countdown is on."
Think this an excellent post. Totally agree with you regarding Hayes adding stability to the back 6.
In the game against Waterford while we gained a lot with him driving on from the half backline we missed out on his talents up front. it's hard to imagine Richie English starting especially as the lads at the back seemed more settled last week. Definitely think we'll need more physicality up front which like you say Flanagan would provide. It's vital that we at the very least create goal scoring chances to keep the Galway defenders on their toes. Galway have physically strong players all over the park and the forwards are really mobile. This will be the toughest outing yet for the fullback line but I think we will be ok there.

Advantages for Galway
1 Limerick are favourites and they will be gunning to make up for 2018. Have licence to give it a right lash
2 have played in croke Park twice this year so will be into the routine of traveling up on their own in these strange times
3 they are scoring more goals

Advantages for Limerick
1 Will want to get past semi final stage after last year and if Kilkenny are the known opponents I think it will drive them on to get a rematch
2 The break after the Munster final. If level pegging hopefully the fresher legs will drive us down the homestraight.
3 the lessons learned from Waterford game. That was an excellent game to prepare us for the semi. Will draw a lot from getting the win against a team that put us under so much Pressure.

Mads (Limerick) - Posts: 200 - 22/11/2020 19:41:50    2313265

Link

Replying To Dealer:  "So it's Galway after all. I've consistently held the view that the two best hurling teams did not get to play in the All Ireland final last year and recent results, bear that out. Galway are difficult opponents for us as they match up well with us from both physicality and athletic perspectives. I'd have a lot of respect for the Galway forwards who can hurt you if they're given space and time.

However, I suspect that JK might want to spring a surprise with Daithi Burke in mind and play Shamie Flangan at full forward to try and free up Gillane and put the Galway backs under a bit more pressure from the outset. I reckon that we're going to have to put up a score to win this so attacking the Galway backs will be essential. The countdown is on."
Agree with all of above good points. Big question indeed is where to best us Kyle, a deadly forward as well as delivering some laser passes to forwards from wing-back. On remote chance that Richie could start at 4 I can even see Kyle at 3 with Dan moving out to 7, at some point. That said Dan and Barry are melding into their new positions just fine, with both even starting to come forward to set up attacks.
Plan B Darragh at 7 and Kyle returning to 11, WOD and Cian at 8 and 9 .

Seamus Flanagan 30 - 40 minutes at 14 with Aaron and holding either Peter or Graeme ready to spring from bench. They are doing great it only at scoring but also tracking back to half backline to block, hook and tackle, both (Graeme and Peter that have excellent work rate).
That said Seamus can also cause consternation in and back 6 along with sending over some delightful points from the left or right-wing or laying on some gems of passes. Just feel his height and mobility will take some of the load (attention) off Aaron and give him a little more freedom to float, roam and create further chances.
What wonderful headaches we have re lineout.. glad I don't have to make those calls or tell Graeme or Peter he won't start.

in a scenario where last 20 minutes could well be the deciding factor its great to have such speed and skill to come off the bench, Pat Ryan, David Dempsey, Adrian Breen, Conor Boylan and others...

( I may be getting a little ahead of myself with Kyle at 3 , but,one game at a time.)

Come On Ye Boys In Green..

PatOLogical (Limerick) - Posts: 1157 - 22/11/2020 21:26:01    2313473

Link

Disappointed with the comment from Liam Sheedy about the ref for Galway versus Tipp. In fairness it does look like he made a mistake with the 1st yellow but to insinuate the man would have been biased because he was from Limerick is a shocker for me. Why would he give Galway more of an advantage than Tipp (who we have a very decent run beating lately ). If he had that much of a problem he should have aired his grievances prior to the match.
Cusack effectively said the same but would you expect anything other than controversy from him anyway. Now the man will probably never get to ref a decent game again and who are you stuck with, the likes of paud O'Dwyer. Sheedy went way down in my estimation after that.

Mads (Limerick) - Posts: 200 - 22/11/2020 23:07:48    2313566

Link

Replying To Mads:  "Disappointed with the comment from Liam Sheedy about the ref for Galway versus Tipp. In fairness it does look like he made a mistake with the 1st yellow but to insinuate the man would have been biased because he was from Limerick is a shocker for me. Why would he give Galway more of an advantage than Tipp (who we have a very decent run beating lately ). If he had that much of a problem he should have aired his grievances prior to the match.
Cusack effectively said the same but would you expect anything other than controversy from him anyway. Now the man will probably never get to ref a decent game again and who are you stuck with, the likes of paud O'Dwyer. Sheedy went way down in my estimation after that."
Didn't hear that from Sheedy buy you are right it is disappointing to hear and his argument makes no sense either in that Limerick would find Galway tougher opponents than Tipp because of their style of play. John Kiely had to take far worse on the chin last year against KK.

I also thought about unleashing Flanagan from the start, if he's on form I think it would be a good idea to add his extra power and athleticism to the forwards against a very powerful Galway team. He was a wrecking ball in the first 20 mins against Galway in 2018 and will help take the focus off Gillane. You can spring Casey or Mulcahy then with 15 - 20 mins to go. In saying that neither of the two deserves to be dropped either. In JK we trust whatever happens.

I think the back 6 will stay as they have been. Kyle Hayes was my motm against Waterford. I think if we are to get as many of our best players on the field at the start then DOD will play midfield and Lynch will move to center forward again. I think we looked at our best so far this year with those changes. He will give Mcinenerny a different challenge to Hayes. In fairness to Mcinerney he didn't seem fully fit in 2018 when Hayes went to town on him.
Also credit to Dan Morrisey and Barry Nash who have been fantastic so far playing out of position in the full back line.

Fitzy01 (Limerick) - Posts: 181 - 23/11/2020 12:13:25    2313851

Link

Replying To Mads:  "Disappointed with the comment from Liam Sheedy about the ref for Galway versus Tipp. In fairness it does look like he made a mistake with the 1st yellow but to insinuate the man would have been biased because he was from Limerick is a shocker for me. Why would he give Galway more of an advantage than Tipp (who we have a very decent run beating lately ). If he had that much of a problem he should have aired his grievances prior to the match.
Cusack effectively said the same but would you expect anything other than controversy from him anyway. Now the man will probably never get to ref a decent game again and who are you stuck with, the likes of paud O'Dwyer. Sheedy went way down in my estimation after that."
I'd agree because he went some place he didn't have to go to. If Murphy was reffing the game to suit Limerick, he'd have favored Tipp and not Galway. If he had an issue with the way that Murphy referred the game, he's entitled to have a go but there's nothing wrong with a Limerick referee getting appointed to a game that his county is not directly involved in. Ireland is a very small country.

Dealer (Limerick) - Posts: 725 - 23/11/2020 12:40:24    2313877

Link

Was disappointed to hear Sheedy giving out about the ref. Didn't do himself any favours. Comes across as sour grapes. Even if he did think this it won't change the result. Can't see his logic. Limk hammered Tipp by 12 points last year and by 9 already this year so would definitely been preferable opposition for Limk in the semi final. Galway will be a bigger threat for Limk. Still think we should have enough to dominate the middle third and exploit their full back line which is where there biggest weakness is. There inside forwards are very dangerous and will be a big test for our fullback line where we have 2 natural half backs playing. Cutting out the supply to Whelan, Mannion will be key. Don't think Kiely will make too many changes, O'Donovan for Reidy with Cian going to Centre forward. Cian will drag McInerney out the field to try and make space inside for Gillane and Mulcahy.

journeyman (Limerick) - Posts: 35 - 23/11/2020 16:48:57    2314133

Link

Like a previous poster said Flanagan should start instead of Casey. Limerick need something different to keep Galway honest. O Donovan to start and id like to see Boylan or English if fit on for Nash who I feel will be roasted before this championship is over. Hes been helped and covered by the guys around him and in all honesty he whas improved but he is not a corner back. He's been exposed against Clare and he'll be exposed again. No fault of his.
Kind of despicable how the ref was treated on the Sunday Game. Hes an excellent ref and someone with Sheedy's clout should have more class. It just shows how sore Tipperary are for not getting another crack off Limerick.. Its great...they are sickened. But really Limerick need to win this All Ireland to really make last years seem like a slip from Limerick ....2019 will have ? Marks for ever more. Now not for one second do I believe Tipperary didn't deserve last years win (I just won't ever tell them that)

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1323 - 23/11/2020 19:09:23    2314210

Link

Replying To bloodyban:  "Like a previous poster said Flanagan should start instead of Casey. Limerick need something different to keep Galway honest. O Donovan to start and id like to see Boylan or English if fit on for Nash who I feel will be roasted before this championship is over. Hes been helped and covered by the guys around him and in all honesty he whas improved but he is not a corner back. He's been exposed against Clare and he'll be exposed again. No fault of his.
Kind of despicable how the ref was treated on the Sunday Game. Hes an excellent ref and someone with Sheedy's clout should have more class. It just shows how sore Tipperary are for not getting another crack off Limerick.. Its great...they are sickened. But really Limerick need to win this All Ireland to really make last years seem like a slip from Limerick ....2019 will have ? Marks for ever more. Now not for one second do I believe Tipperary didn't deserve last years win (I just won't ever tell them that)"
Bit of a big statement to make to say "Nash will be roasted" do you mean 2/3 points a game or 2/3 goals?

When Mike Casey got injured many on here reverted back to when Callanan roasted Dan during TJs time. This management is totally different and the Full back line has total different protection. Proof was Callanan was kept scoreless against Dan this time round.

Likewise, Barry Nash, although not an experienced corner back, I can't see him being roasted. 1. He is a very smart and skilled hurler, 2. He has got exposure there for the last three games and 3. Kiley will have the 6 backs too well coached to protect each other. Especially the FB line.

Hence the reason to bring Kyle Hayse back to 7.

I'm not saying the FB line won't leak a goal or two but I certainly can't see Nash getting a roasting.

Let the build up begin!!!

Seeking_silver (Limerick) - Posts: 266 - 23/11/2020 21:05:03    2314305

Link

Replying To Seeking_silver:  "Bit of a big statement to make to say "Nash will be roasted" do you mean 2/3 points a game or 2/3 goals?

When Mike Casey got injured many on here reverted back to when Callanan roasted Dan during TJs time. This management is totally different and the Full back line has total different protection. Proof was Callanan was kept scoreless against Dan this time round.

Likewise, Barry Nash, although not an experienced corner back, I can't see him being roasted. 1. He is a very smart and skilled hurler, 2. He has got exposure there for the last three games and 3. Kiley will have the 6 backs too well coached to protect each other. Especially the FB line.

Hence the reason to bring Kyle Hayse back to 7.

I'm not saying the FB line won't leak a goal or two but I certainly can't see Nash getting a roasting.

Let the build up begin!!!"
Well said Seeking Silver. Dan has matured greatly over last 3 years and has slotted in at 3 very effectively over last 3 games. (Good point re Callanan being held scoreless this time) Likewise Nash has improved with every outing in the corner, doing a fine job. Both have even come forward in the Waterforford game triggering offensive moves.
As usual some predicters of doom continue to wake up surprised that the sky hasn't fallen yet.

Great job by backroom team who have developed a flexible squad who can seamlessly slot into different positions depending on the opposition. What better strategy than to keep opposition guessing and off-balance. We need something to counteract the "Limerick intelligence" now on te Galway sideline.
Also think we are much more as a team from highs and lows of past few years.

I think our 20 man team is very capable in all positions. Hope to see all 36 of panel in Croke Park.

Here's to coming out with all guns blazing .

Come On Ye Boys In Green

PS Galway posters please ignore.

PatOLogical (Limerick) - Posts: 1157 - 24/11/2020 01:34:29    2314432

Link

What has been brilliant this year is the way Kiely has kept teams guessing a bit. Yes the replacements at the back were enforced but to put Kyle Hayes back and Lynch up front against Tipp really shook things up. If you ask me it even made Cian Lynch an even better player if that was possible. Reidy joining the ranks the last day keeps everyone on their toes

With the exception of Dempsey being injured it looks like we'll finally have replacements for the backs if required. Also brilliant to see Darragh O Donovan is fit again. He has brilliant versitality either starting or off the bench.
Cautiously optimistic about Sunday

Mads (Limerick) - Posts: 200 - 24/11/2020 15:08:27    2314728

Link