Leitrim Forum

Leitrim Senior Team

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Positive news that Terry is staying on for another year. 2 years is never enough time to put a structure & culture in place. I think as long as our best players commit and everyone puts their shoulder against the wheel, Terry will be around for a few years. However it's clear, from recent comments, that he won't be sticking around if he doesn't get buy in across the board. Of course the reality of finances could be an influence but there's a lot of things you can do without necessarily having financial resources.

Square_B (Leitrim) - Posts: 140 - 10/11/2020 18:15:52    2307301

Link

Of all the teams in Ireland Leitrim would improve greatly if they could get a few years of John Moughan. Leitrim have far more natural talent than Offaly at the moment, and they came close to bringing down Kildare last Sunday. For sure ye have improved since last year in terms of basic fitness, but JM would bring much more to the table.

martinjoe (Mayo) - Posts: 431 - 12/11/2020 10:27:32    2307888

Link

I do not doubt maughan's credentials and the value he would bring, but As terry is happy to do another year i would not contest it. of course need promotion back to division 4 and ideally a good placing in the 2nd tier championship, both very achievable as there are no heavyweights in div 4 and we were competitive in a lot of games in div 3, else id say Terry should not be offered a 4th year as he has probably brought us as far as he possibly can

gaelsboy (Leitrim) - Posts: 202 - 12/11/2020 11:55:31    2307917

Link

Replying To martinjoe:  "Of all the teams in Ireland Leitrim would improve greatly if they could get a few years of John Moughan. Leitrim have far more natural talent than Offaly at the moment, and they came close to bringing down Kildare last Sunday. For sure ye have improved since last year in terms of basic fitness, but JM would bring much more to the table."
Fair point and mayo would win an All ireland if they appointed Mick O Dwyer.

Buzzcagney62 (Leitrim) - Posts: 150 - 14/11/2020 08:41:48    2308608

Link

Well done to our neighbour's Cavan on their fully deserved victory today. Full value for it no question, and have been in Championship so far. Honesty integrity and sheer doggedness sealed it for them with no small amount of skill. Good luck in semi final

Ridgebackers (Leitrim) - Posts: 9 - 22/11/2020 19:04:14    2313177

Link

Replying To Ridgebackers:  "Well done to our neighbour's Cavan on their fully deserved victory today. Full value for it no question, and have been in Championship so far. Honesty integrity and sheer doggedness sealed it for them with no small amount of skill. Good luck in semi final"
Agree. What a display by Cavan. It was thoroughly deserved despite two dubious black cards and a lot of wides

joeman123 (Leitrim) - Posts: 196 - 22/11/2020 19:26:10    2313232

Link

Congrats to Cavan & Tipperary today... I can't speak for anyone else but I know it was a lift for me after the whitewash in the Leinster Final last night. Our near neighbours have shown what can be done with limited resources and I hope our lads dont let up and make sure we leave no stone unturned on getting back to Division 3 for 2021.

Square_B (Leitrim) - Posts: 140 - 22/11/2020 20:58:01    2313415

Link

Today's games made me think about how much we have underachieved in the last 20 years.
Cavan and Tipp may have bigger populations and areas to pick from but it's more that their underage structures and attitudes are right.
Jim gavin would not win us a connaught title or get us up any higher than div 3 within a 5 year term if the lads at his disposal are not properly coached and given a winning mentality from the right age.

gaelsboy (Leitrim) - Posts: 202 - 22/11/2020 22:51:46    2313556

Link

Division 4 is going to be very hard next year with the news Mickey Harte is taking the Louth job. With Enda Mc Ginley and Steven O'Neill in Antrim they're both going to be strong before we even think of the other teams including our neighbours sligo. We will need to hit the ground running in 2021.

JimmyNail (Leitrim) - Posts: 30 - 23/11/2020 21:46:38    2314338

Link

Replying To JimmyNail:  "Division 4 is going to be very hard next year with the news Mickey Harte is taking the Louth job. With Enda Mc Ginley and Steven O'Neill in Antrim they're both going to be strong before we even think of the other teams including our neighbours sligo. We will need to hit the ground running in 2021."
I was just thinking that.. Going by this year we would get at least 2nd place but next year will be a different animal, small counties can see what can be achieved with the right structures in place and hard work and drive. Neither team will pull up trees but could beat us on their day

gaelsboy (Leitrim) - Posts: 202 - 23/11/2020 22:59:05    2314395

Link

Replying To Square_B:  "Congrats to Cavan & Tipperary today... I can't speak for anyone else but I know it was a lift for me after the whitewash in the Leinster Final last night. Our near neighbours have shown what can be done with limited resources and I hope our lads dont let up and make sure we leave no stone unturned on getting back to Division 3 for 2021."
Cavan don't have limited resources though, they have the same amount of GAA clubs as Donegal has, eight less than Roscommon. They have had two or three generations of massive underachievement which doesn't make much sense when you look at their winning Ulster titles for fun in the first half of the 20th century. I'm delighted for them, and I hope they give Dublin a right rattle, preferably in Navan or another neutral ground, but that won't happen.

republicofcloone (Leitrim) - Posts: 120 - 24/11/2020 08:57:46    2314460

Link