Galway Forum

Galway vs Waterford

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To tjcentrehalfbak:  "Congrats to our hurlers unreal display i was 2 years old in 88 so like so many of this young generation we have new heroes now!i remember even back around 2010 11 hearing galway supporters saying we would never win a hurling all ireland again well to those people im so glad this group of players have finally done it for sll teams of the past 29 years!!"
Sadly I wasn't that young back in 1988, but never did I think that I'd wait nearly 30 years for another All Ireland. This one was definitely something special, although the wait and all of the hurt of the last 30 years probably made it all the more amazing, and I will never forget Sunday the 3rd of September 2017 as long as I live, thank you Michael Donohue and your wonderful group of players. However we also need to make sure that we don't wait another 30 years for Liam to cross the Shannon again, nobody has a god given right to win the All Ireland, but with the talent and resources that we have at our disposal in Galway, we should be winning at least two All Irelands per decade. Joe Connolly is 100% right in what he said today in the Indo (http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/in-the-soul-im-glad-this-question-of-our-character-has-finally-been-answered-36100531.html) in that we should be thinking big about the future, and we cannot afford to rest on our laurels. I always thought the Clare All Ireland of 2013 was somewhat of a fluke, yes they had some excellent players, but they got somewhat lucky, and in fairness grabbed the opportunity when it arose. We however have players that are clearly capable of going on to win two or three more All Irelands, and I really hope that this wonderful group of players does go on to win at least one or two more.

gilly0512 (Galway) - Posts: 1176 - 05/09/2017 17:39:32    2043101

Link

Replying To toe2hand:  "congrats to galway for great win after 29 years but i think one man has been forgotten in all the euphoria.anthony cunningham built this team and its basically the same players and he should be given some credit"
AC is not being forgotten, Micheal D paid him and the previous management teams since 1988 huge compliments, fact is though that Micheal has taken this team onto a higher level, Kilkenny were over the hill in 2012 never mind 2015 yet won two more All Ireland crowns (2012 and 14) we have lost enough since 2012 which made 2017 all the sweeter, similar to our losses in 1985 and 6 we can now go and add 2 maybe 3 more. AC brought this team on considerably from 2011 but did not have the capability to get the collective crowned champions.

TouchOfClass (Galway) - Posts: 730 - 05/09/2017 23:28:21    2043224

Link

Super stuff and what a year. Lets enjoy and let talk of 2 in a row or multiple All Irelands wait until next year. Yes, we are capable but its not easy retain. Since Galway's double in '87/'88 only Cork in '04/'05 have been able to this apart from the obvious exception of Kilkenny. Galway are a super team but have a lot to do yet to prove we are as good as the great Kilkenny teams of recent years.

anotheralias (Galway) - Posts: 121 - 06/09/2017 07:54:38    2043250

Link

Unfortunately it was poor sideline management that cost the team in 2012/13 and 2015. At least one of them should have been won.

galwayford (Galway) - Posts: 1892 - 06/09/2017 15:08:41    2043465

Link

Replying To galwayford:  "Unfortunately it was poor sideline management that cost the team in 2012/13 and 2015. At least one of them should have been won."
It must be 30 years approx. since Cyril Farrell summed up that 'common' viewpoint, with the priceless line , 'hurlers win matches, coaches lose them'.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 2355 - 06/09/2017 17:27:08    2043528

Link

It hasnt been mentioned much but at the time our relegation to 1B in League was seen as a big negative. However, It gave our team a bit of breathing space in Spring, certainty of a quarter final spot to plan for, chance to try out a few players and guess what.....we get to do it all again in 2018.

conordee (Galway) - Posts: 398 - 06/09/2017 18:36:50    2043561

Link

Replying To galwayford:  "Unfortunately it was poor sideline management that cost the team in 2012/13 and 2015. At least one of them should have been won."
At least the players recognised that and are now the All -Ireland champions.

endgame (Roscommon) - Posts: 1243 - 07/09/2017 19:25:52    2043938

Link

Replying To Pope_Benedict:  "It must be 30 years approx. since Cyril Farrell summed up that 'common' viewpoint, with the priceless line , 'hurlers win matches, coaches lose them'."
So true Pope. MD set an appropriate tone in post match interviews by referring to previous managements and how they had contributed to the team. As supporters I think we should take our cue from this. AC did make a contribution. I also think our tough matches and heart breaking losses to KK in 2012 and 2015 set us up perfectly for winning this year's final. We have definitely learned a lot through playing KK and from that 2015 loss especially.

PoolSturgeon (Galway) - Posts: 1432 - 07/09/2017 23:01:22    2044020

Link

Replying To endgame:  "At least the players recognised that and are now the All -Ireland champions."
I don't wish to raise the AC debate again but there is always collective responsibility. AC's decisions had a bearing on the outcome in 2012, esp the first day, but it wasn't AC who missed the handy chances at the end of the first half when Galway were totally on top.

baire (Galway) - Posts: 820 - 09/09/2017 13:56:28    2044377

Link

Replying To baire:  "I don't wish to raise the AC debate again but there is always collective responsibility. AC's decisions had a bearing on the outcome in 2012, esp the first day, but it wasn't AC who missed the handy chances at the end of the first half when Galway were totally on top."
Always collective responsibility indeed, but collective responsibility for the positives as well as the negatives of '12 & '15. The positives, on both occasions imo, were massive, but are usually largely ignored in the all-ireland runner-up carnage. If anyone needs reminding on those 'positives', we reached the '12 final, and went to a replay, with the remnants of the greatest team of all time, less than 12 months after the outgoing Galway manager, on completion of his three year tenure, declared that 'Galway were farther than ever away from winning an all-ireland'! We reached the '15 final with I'd estimate almost half of the team composed of young lads playing in their first or mostly second season on the Galway team! We harvested this summer, from some of those positives gained in '12 & especially '15. There's more to 'collective responsibility' than the dark side of it, even in the vast bulk of all-ireland final defeats. Admittedly, last Sunday's game would have held no positives for Galway had we lost, after the '12 & '15 experiences had been absorbed. That's why 'relief' was a word that was bandied about a lot on Sunday night, and through the week.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 2355 - 09/09/2017 15:05:28    2044396

Link

Replying To Pope_Benedict:  "Always collective responsibility indeed, but collective responsibility for the positives as well as the negatives of '12 & '15. The positives, on both occasions imo, were massive, but are usually largely ignored in the all-ireland runner-up carnage. If anyone needs reminding on those 'positives', we reached the '12 final, and went to a replay, with the remnants of the greatest team of all time, less than 12 months after the outgoing Galway manager, on completion of his three year tenure, declared that 'Galway were farther than ever away from winning an all-ireland'! We reached the '15 final with I'd estimate almost half of the team composed of young lads playing in their first or mostly second season on the Galway team! We harvested this summer, from some of those positives gained in '12 & especially '15. There's more to 'collective responsibility' than the dark side of it, even in the vast bulk of all-ireland final defeats. Admittedly, last Sunday's game would have held no positives for Galway had we lost, after the '12 & '15 experiences had been absorbed. That's why 'relief' was a word that was bandied about a lot on Sunday night, and through the week."
I agree pope, your point is well made. The point I was making is that blaming one side or the other, management or players for those losses is of no benefit to anyone. As you say AC's managerial stint was far superior to Loughnane's (a disaster) and McIntyre's. The biggest difference this year was the team's mental strength which was gained from good management, great preparation and past experience.

baire (Galway) - Posts: 820 - 10/09/2017 11:08:33    2044569

Link

cant see why the team brought liam to the sports ground...and entity that campaign constantly to get gaa players to switch to their code as well as pushing into the schools in an attempt to take over one school at a time...

squares_edge (Galway) - Posts: 599 - 10/09/2017 12:41:04    2044600

Link

Replying To squares_edge:  "cant see why the team brought liam to the sports ground...and entity that campaign constantly to get gaa players to switch to their code as well as pushing into the schools in an attempt to take over one school at a time..."
Maybe for the same reason Galway United put David Burke on the cover of their match programme on Friday night. There are people out there in all sports who want to share the joy of wins such as this, putting other agendas to the side for a while.

conordee (Galway) - Posts: 398 - 10/09/2017 20:51:43    2044722

Link

promote our games not others!!
If they wanted to celebrate it they should have turned up to the homecoming!! more in their line to go to the pearse or ballinasloe or other gaa ground over the weekend...publicise it and add numbers to the crowd watching hurling or football rather than rugby

squares_edge (Galway) - Posts: 599 - 10/09/2017 21:12:10    2044730

Link

Me think Connaught rugby could have made a donation to holiday fund.

heartbroken (Galway) - Posts: 318 - 10/09/2017 22:43:07    2044760

Link

Was in Galway at the weekend....lots of goodwill towards Mayo and people saying we hope ye do it. IF we do it, maybe we can have a double party around Christmas time with Liam and Sam on the border....Cong, Ballindine, Shrule, Foxhall or maybe all three ;)

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 10230 - 11/09/2017 11:54:41    2044881

Link

Replying To yew_tree:  "Was in Galway at the weekend....lots of goodwill towards Mayo and people saying we hope ye do it. IF we do it, maybe we can have a double party around Christmas time with Liam and Sam on the border....Cong, Ballindine, Shrule, Foxhall or maybe all three ;)"
Well there should be good will to mayo from Galway people.With the help off God ye will beat them dubs and save Gaelic football and sure ya never know there might a party happen.The very best of luck no more than Galway were last week ye are too long suffering.

bud14 (Galway) - Posts: 296 - 11/09/2017 12:49:21    2044903

Link

Replying To bud14:  "Well there should be good will to mayo from Galway people.With the help off God ye will beat them dubs and save Gaelic football and sure ya never know there might a party happen.The very best of luck no more than Galway were last week ye are too long suffering."
What a fantastic achievement for Galway to win both finals . The only negative I have is to see the County Board officers taking a prominent position in all the celebrations when many of us remember how they tried to railroad through ACS nomination Good job the players stood their ground as I do not think they would have won the All Ireland without Miceal Donoghue

gerryboy (Galway) - Posts: 190 - 16/09/2017 18:56:51    2046485

Link

Glad to se 14 All Star nominations. There is surely no doubt as to who Player of the year will be. He has cemented his place as one of the all time greats. There would be no All Ireland without him. Amazing the so called analysts on The Sunday Game couldn't see this on the night. What he has produced in the last 10 years will never be repeated. Unreal.

SixtiesKid (Galway) - Posts: 152 - 20/09/2017 20:45:47    2048780

Link

Replying To SixtiesKid:  "Glad to se 14 All Star nominations. There is surely no doubt as to who Player of the year will be. He has cemented his place as one of the all time greats. There would be no All Ireland without him. Amazing the so called analysts on The Sunday Game couldn't see this on the night. What he has produced in the last 10 years will never be repeated. Unreal."
Agree sixties, got us to the final and was rock solid on the day, that sideline cut was class.

Galwayspur (Offaly) - Posts: 181 - 21/09/2017 12:25:29    2048964

Link