Westmeath Forum

Westmeath SHC 2021.

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I reckon Castletown will get stronger over the next couple of seasons and seem to be the team to knock Clonkill off their perch. I dont think Raharney have been at the races the last while and will definitely need Killian Doyle if they are to mount a serious challenge. They are well capable, but Castletown have a strong panel, play a lovely brand of hurling and won the minor championship last year and will be favourites to retain it this year too I would expect, so they have plenty of players coming through. I would say it will be between the big 3 but it would be great to see the Gaels make a breakthrough.

Dheen (Westmeath) - Posts: 194 - 14/02/2021 21:20:56    2331385

Link

As repeated again I think Castletown really were so close last year that this is their chance, such lovely hurlers and that bit more battle hardened from last year.
Clonkill on the other hand seem to be just thrudging along and getting results even with last years final starting team missing some of the strongest club hurlers in the county, some were brought on granted. They finished the final with a far superior 15 that started. They should of snatched it in normal time, but once it went to added time they were always going to dog it out.
I predict a huge back lash from raharney as the hurlers are there just have not clicked for a little while, however I still have CTG and clonkill slightly ahead with Raharney very close behind.
The Gaels for such a huge pick of the county seem to be over reliant on 2/3 lads and that just cannot work. Derek mc N, jogger and Conaty cannot win on their own and even young Williams is a good hurler but lacks physicality in my opinion. I hear they are back training in small groups, wrong on many levels with the current covid restrictions I wonder who organises it players or management? What exactly is the current guidelines around club teams training in small groups at the present time but I highly doubt it's allowed.
Maybe this could be the year they cause an upset with superior fitness but I just can't see it, a nice team to watch but always a flop when things get tough.
Who is managing teams this year does anyone know?

James73 (Westmeath) - Posts: 16 - 15/02/2021 01:25:22    2331401

Link

Would be amazed if any team training in any small groups. The guidelines cannot be clearer. GAA grounds are closed except for walking tracks and there is no collective training of any kind allowed. It would be incredibly irresponsible of any club or manager to sanction training under current circumstances.

Claretandblue (Westmeath) - Posts: 240 - 15/02/2021 16:29:39    2331467

Link

Individuals meeting at a club walking track can't be blamed on teams as a whole, if lads want to meet up for a run together that's down to individual and not the club

westmeathgaa11 (Westmeath) - Posts: 102 - 15/02/2021 19:22:47    2331479

Link

Replying To Westmeath213:  "You haven't a clue your saying stuff about the downs when the two drumms never played hurling which has no relevance to this forum at all.
The two other lads who went to Lomans has a bit of relevance, they knew that If they left they wouldn't be able to hurl with Delvin so it's nobody's fault but themselves and I'm sure if they were that interest in hurling they would've stayed or joined a different club."
The Drumms hurled with Turin. One of them even won a county medal.

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1818 - 15/02/2021 21:05:45    2331493

Link

If the individuals meeting at a club walking track are part of a team within that club then it's a blatant disregard for society and the rules that vast majority are abiding by. No club would be unaware of this. Therefore club is responsible.

Claretandblue (Westmeath) - Posts: 240 - 15/02/2021 22:27:43    2331502

Link

Replying To Claretandblue:  "If the individuals meeting at a club walking track are part of a team within that club then it's a blatant disregard for society and the rules that vast majority are abiding by. No club would be unaware of this. Therefore club is responsible."
I'm sure there are a lot of individual people around the country meeting up with another person to go for runs. Clubs can't be blamed for individual choices

westmeathgaa11 (Westmeath) - Posts: 102 - 16/02/2021 12:43:40    2331541

Link

Replying To Claretandblue:  "If the individuals meeting at a club walking track are part of a team within that club then it's a blatant disregard for society and the rules that vast majority are abiding by. No club would be unaware of this. Therefore club is responsible."
And what about non playing members meeting up for a walk around a track, does that mean that the club is responsible for a couple of women in their 40s meeting up there to go for their daily walk?
How do you suggest clubs police this? Hire security guards to be there 24/7?
It's something called personal responsibility, nothing to do with clubs

westmeathgaa11 (Westmeath) - Posts: 102 - 16/02/2021 13:01:55    2331543

Link

Replying To westmeathgaa11:  "I'm sure there are a lot of individual people around the country meeting up with another person to go for runs. Clubs can't be blamed for individual choices"
Let's be honest there's loads of this going on in GAA clubs and they're mostly in a grey area as opposed to blatantly flouting the restrictions. If any individual or a few individuals decide go running on a walking track, this above board once they're under the 5km limit.

It's a different story if a coach or club actively organises larger group training sessions or meetings or anything indoor. Although I cant imagine why someone would be so stupid as to push for this.

Back to the topic of hand.

Does anyone have any idea of coaches for the coming year?
Any new players coming through from minor to watch out for?

gedupoutofit (Westmeath) - Posts: 109 - 16/02/2021 13:07:43    2331545

Link

Clubs are responsible for their own grounds. Unless there's a walking track grounds are closed and of course people can go for runs together but not on club property.

Claretandblue (Westmeath) - Posts: 240 - 16/02/2021 18:12:37    2331591

Link

Doesn't surprise me to hear of training taking place in small groups, one of the clubs mentioned here was actually reported during the first lockdown for having full on pitch training sessions before it was permitted and even then just moved to a local land owners field. I must say though that they weren't the only club at it, just the one that was reported, perhaps not being subtle enough. This practice was obviously wrong but there must be balance and I really can't see the harm in a couple of young lads getting together to do a bit of fitness work once it's carried out in a safe and responsible manner, outdoors in an open air environment where they can keep far enough apart to have a run and a chat, it could be the only outlet that some of these young lads have at the minute and critical for their physical and mental well-being. It's better than them getting together in a stuffy sitting room in front of a PlayStation or television. If this happens to down at the local GAA ground then so be it. Let the curtain twitchers pass their remarks if it makes them happy also.

CleanShoulder (Westmeath) - Posts: 51 - 16/02/2021 19:09:28    2331595

Link

Doesn't surprise me to hear of training taking place in small groups, one of the clubs mentioned here was actually reported during the first lockdown for having full on pitch training sessions before it was permitted and even then just moved to a local land owners field. I must say though that they weren't the only club at it, just the one that was reported, perhaps not being subtle enough. This practice was obviously wrong but there must be balance and I really can't see the harm in a couple of young lads getting together to do a bit of fitness work once it's carried out in a safe and responsible manner, outdoors in an open air environment where they can keep far enough apart to have a run and a chat, it could be the only outlet that some of these young lads have at the minute and critical for their physical and mental well-being. It's better than them getting together in a stuffy sitting room in front of a PlayStation or television. If this happens to down at the local GAA ground then so be it. Let the curtain twitchers pass their remarks if it makes them happy also.

CleanShoulder (Westmeath) - Posts: 51 - 16/02/2021 19:10:22    2331596

Link

Replying To Claretandblue:  "Clubs are responsible for their own grounds. Unless there's a walking track grounds are closed and of course people can go for runs together but not on club property."
So if people go for runs together on a walking track that's okay and not the clubs fault?

westmeathgaa11 (Westmeath) - Posts: 102 - 16/02/2021 19:32:41    2331603

Link

Replying To CleanShoulder:  "Doesn't surprise me to hear of training taking place in small groups, one of the clubs mentioned here was actually reported during the first lockdown for having full on pitch training sessions before it was permitted and even then just moved to a local land owners field. I must say though that they weren't the only club at it, just the one that was reported, perhaps not being subtle enough. This practice was obviously wrong but there must be balance and I really can't see the harm in a couple of young lads getting together to do a bit of fitness work once it's carried out in a safe and responsible manner, outdoors in an open air environment where they can keep far enough apart to have a run and a chat, it could be the only outlet that some of these young lads have at the minute and critical for their physical and mental well-being. It's better than them getting together in a stuffy sitting room in front of a PlayStation or television. If this happens to down at the local GAA ground then so be it. Let the curtain twitchers pass their remarks if it makes them happy also."
The Gaels never had full on pitch sessions before guidelines were lifted, they were doing running track runs in groups which was permitted at that time

westmeathgaa11 (Westmeath) - Posts: 102 - 16/02/2021 19:34:20    2331604

Link

Replying To westmeathgaa11:  "The Gaels never had full on pitch sessions before guidelines were lifted, they were doing running track runs in groups which was permitted at that time"
Only going by what I heard. Why would they have been reported then? And there were a few teams in the county doing it at the time, it was happening in every county.

CleanShoulder (Westmeath) - Posts: 51 - 16/02/2021 20:20:22    2331612

Link

Replying To CleanShoulder:  "Only going by what I heard. Why would they have been reported then? And there were a few teams in the county doing it at the time, it was happening in every county."
Yes they were training ignoring the COVID guidelines In 2020 before the restrictions were lifted. They weren't training collectively this year !!

Westmeath213 (Westmeath) - Posts: 195 - 16/02/2021 21:24:51    2331617

Link

2020 done and dusted now anyway, Castletown to break the Clonkill dominance this year I think, regardless of who goes back training first the cream will rise to the top. Likely to be small groups in the championship the same as last year and Clonkill and Castletown are destined to meet in the final again, second place in the groups is only a sideshow and could go any way, semi finals to be warm up games again.

CleanShoulder (Westmeath) - Posts: 51 - 16/02/2021 22:21:50    2331627

Link

Replying To CleanShoulder:  "Only going by what I heard. Why would they have been reported then? And there were a few teams in the county doing it at the time, it was happening in every county."
Reported for running around a track which was perfectly acceptable at that time

westmeathgaa11 (Westmeath) - Posts: 102 - 16/02/2021 22:38:28    2331630

Link

Replying To westmeathgaa11:  "Reported for running around a track which was perfectly acceptable at that time"
Conflicting reports obviously on what took place, all in the past now, didn't do them much good in the end either way

CleanShoulder (Westmeath) - Posts: 51 - 16/02/2021 23:16:14    2331636

Link

Replying To CleanShoulder:  "2020 done and dusted now anyway, Castletown to break the Clonkill dominance this year I think, regardless of who goes back training first the cream will rise to the top. Likely to be small groups in the championship the same as last year and Clonkill and Castletown are destined to meet in the final again, second place in the groups is only a sideshow and could go any way, semi finals to be warm up games again."
Clonkil nor Castletown not to make final this year.

Walkslikeaducksoundslikeaduck (Fermanagh) - Posts: 3 - 17/02/2021 20:19:46    2331756

Link