Donegal Forum

Donegal Minor/U-20'S 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To neutral:  "Age Size and S&C was the difference last night.Be hopeful that we will improve past Tyrone down the line."
Ah I don't think it was really. Devlin is a really top class prospect a bit like Niall O'Donnell (in terms of ability) at that grade. Tyrone had lots of good footballers. McHugh was excellent and to be fair his size and conditioning was a big factor. I would expect it to be a closer contest in a couple of years but still very optimistic to think we might improve past them.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2649 - 14/08/2021 10:35:12    2370634

Link

We're miles behind tyrone at underage, probably behind Derry now as well. Our lads deserve great credit for battling to the end and showing great pride in the jersey. The Tyrone players have been part of an academy since they were 13 or 14, you can see that clearly with their conditioning and the cohesion in their play. We put a squad together and train them for a few months and set up defensively hoping that we can keep it tight and get a few scores. We're not developing players at all, if they don't perform at a trial, they're gone, we're losing the late developers. Too many skillful attacking players are being sacrificed for more defensive players. That was definitely the case in 2020 at minor level. I really hope the new academy under Karl Lacey works because the days of picking a squad at trials and flogging them in training for a few months are long gone.

greenfan (Donegal) - Posts: 41 - 14/08/2021 11:28:37    2370648

Link

No doubt tyrone were the better team and but for wayward shooting would have been way more up at half time. Their press worked well in the first half and donegal struggled for an out ball. Though four points was not an insurmountable gap and thought they still had a chance at ht. Donegal narrowed the deficit to two, tyrone got a black card and were rattled and then donegal made a series of unforced errors that handed the game away with the points just before and just after the waterbreak and likewise the first goal.
The manager pointed out these are young lads and mistakes happen, and that's true but you will get punished when you make errors no matter what age you are. Anyways hard luck to the team and management and fair play for getting to the final.

In relation to the future development of players and the structure with Karl lacey and Aaron Kyles. They've really only started this year so they have to be given time. I hope there is not too much focus on power and strength. There's something that does not sit that well with me seeing oversized 16 and 17 year olds. Focus on the skills, kicking catching, good hand/fist passing and worry about the power and strength down the line.

Ulsterchamps_32 (Donegal) - Posts: 449 - 14/08/2021 14:41:43    2370754

Link

Having players well conditioned doesn't mean they will end up as 'oversized' 16 or 17 year olds. People who don't understand what proper conditioning means think it's just about bulking up. Its not. Proper conditioning compliments the skills of the game

greenfan (Donegal) - Posts: 41 - 15/08/2021 23:26:12    2371777

Link

Replying To greenfan:  "Having players well conditioned doesn't mean they will end up as 'oversized' 16 or 17 year olds. People who don't understand what proper conditioning means think it's just about bulking up. Its not. Proper conditioning compliments the skills of the game"
I don't know much about the under age situation in Donegal but I thought a few years back that things were good when we we were often beating Tyrone and doing well in Buncrana cups etc.The talk now is that we are falling behind.Is that true and if so why is this the case.Maybe it is just as simple as that some years you will have a good crop of players and other years not so good.

gunman (Donegal) - Posts: 766 - 16/08/2021 10:33:11    2371873

Link

Replying To gunman:  "I don't know much about the under age situation in Donegal but I thought a few years back that things were good when we we were often beating Tyrone and doing well in Buncrana cups etc.The talk now is that we are falling behind.Is that true and if so why is this the case.Maybe it is just as simple as that some years you will have a good crop of players and other years not so good."
I don't we are falling behind at all. Ulster is ultra competitive with Tyrone, Monaghan and Derry as well as Donegal now regularly putting out decent calibre underage teams. Would we be having the same conversation if our under twenties won Ulster which with a bit of luck on the injury front they probably would have. I don't think we would. I am definitely seeing improvements in S&C and overall coaching especially defensively. However conversely I thought both our underage teams this year attacking play seemed a little too structured with not enough off the cuff play. Yesterday's was really entertaining to see two teams go for it. The same over structured play is probably what cost Dublin too at the weekend. Hopefully after reflection they will rely on it less too. I do think at underage a real marquee player makes a huge difference. Tyrone had two last Friday night in McHugh and Devlin. Much like our minors from a few years ago with O'Donnell, McGee and Mogan.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2649 - 16/08/2021 20:35:17    2372145

Link

What shocked me about the Minor performance against Tyrone, was how sloppy our passing and shooting was and off the ball movement was very messy, luckily Tyrone were really poor for long periods also, or we could have been punished far worst.

Possession is worthless if we can't convert scores, and that message is for all age groups right up to Senior level.

Commodore (Donegal) - Posts: 663 - 17/08/2021 09:15:55    2372221

Link

Replying To panamasam:  "I don't we are falling behind at all. Ulster is ultra competitive with Tyrone, Monaghan and Derry as well as Donegal now regularly putting out decent calibre underage teams. Would we be having the same conversation if our under twenties won Ulster which with a bit of luck on the injury front they probably would have. I don't think we would. I am definitely seeing improvements in S&C and overall coaching especially defensively. However conversely I thought both our underage teams this year attacking play seemed a little too structured with not enough off the cuff play. Yesterday's was really entertaining to see two teams go for it. The same over structured play is probably what cost Dublin too at the weekend. Hopefully after reflection they will rely on it less too. I do think at underage a real marquee player makes a huge difference. Tyrone had two last Friday night in McHugh and Devlin. Much like our minors from a few years ago with O'Donnell, McGee and Mogan."
That should be last years under twenties missing Gallen and Conor O'Donnell

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2649 - 17/08/2021 16:50:48    2372474

Link