Donegal Forum

Donegal Club Championship,S

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Tirchonaill1:  "I don't think the Gaoth Dobhair heads are in the right place this year at all, they are stumbling along, these injuries might not stop them winning the replay but it will hamper them bigtime trying to retain Ulster,
think will win on Sunday by 3 or 4 points."
I have to agree with you. After the Kilcar my thinking was Gweedore were timing their run. However last weekend like most of the year the inconsistency returned. Saying that I still think they will win Sunday by around 3 points. But I think Ulster a different matter when faced with a focused driven team.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2342 - 24/10/2019 17:03:39    2245527

Link

Replying To panamasam:  "I have to agree with you. After the Kilcar my thinking was Gweedore were timing their run. However last weekend like most of the year the inconsistency returned. Saying that I still think they will win Sunday by around 3 points. But I think Ulster a different matter when faced with a focused driven team."
The closer it gets to the weekend the more I'm thinking Glenties might do it. Obviously the loss of Gillespie and McFadden are unfortunate. Is Kevin Cassidy going to be at the Underdogs match in Castelbar on Saturday night? Throw in for that is at 8pm so not ideal. Eamon McGee was in New York this week. Might that have an impact in terms of jet lag, focus etc?

Very little coming out of the Glenties camp. No injuries reported so they will have been tipping away during the week and all focus on the replay.

It will be another tight match. Gaoth Dobhair should edge it if their focus is right and if they can get more out of MacNiallais and Cassidy than they did last Sunday. But the Glenties lads will be quietly confident they can upset the apple cart.

I'll go with Gaoth Dobhair 0-11 - 0-9 Glenties

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7009 - 25/10/2019 13:24:20    2245707

Link

I thought gweedore easily last week

Prob basing that on what they did to kilcar - they were toying with them - kilcar are way overrated- it don't get it myself.

Having played both glenties and gweedore this year and seen them up close I think glenties impressed me more been honest.

I now think the blue brigade will win because :

Hurt of loosing 3 in a row should drive them on.
Eamon mc gee on holidays county final week- he is their most important player I feel.
The circus around Cassidy with underdogs.
2 ACL injuries last week.
Gweedore too dependent on getting goals to win.

Blue brigade lot by 2 I think

eunans4ever (Donegal) - Posts: 1160 - 27/10/2019 14:07:18    2246106

Link

Credit to both teams. It was another slow burner but the tension in extra time meant it was utterly compelling viewing. I was sure Glenties had done enough. They had eked out a one point advantage and Gweedore couldn't get their hands on the ball. Credit to Eamon McGee winning the free and also to Gavin McBride. I think he initially intended to take the shot on, but then I saw MacNiallais having a word. It was a very risky cross field pass to Ferry but it got there, and Ferry did the business just about.

Even then there was time for more drama. AJ Gallagher had an effort right at the death. Probably a case of wrong man at the wrong time.

So another replay on Wednesday. It's impossible to separate them. It'll be extremely tough to go again then next Sunday down in Breffni Park but I'm sure neither team will be worrying about that just yet.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7009 - 27/10/2019 18:49:37    2246157

Link

Replying To Lockjaw:  "Credit to both teams. It was another slow burner but the tension in extra time meant it was utterly compelling viewing. I was sure Glenties had done enough. They had eked out a one point advantage and Gweedore couldn't get their hands on the ball. Credit to Eamon McGee winning the free and also to Gavin McBride. I think he initially intended to take the shot on, but then I saw MacNiallais having a word. It was a very risky cross field pass to Ferry but it got there, and Ferry did the business just about.

Even then there was time for more drama. AJ Gallagher had an effort right at the death. Probably a case of wrong man at the wrong time.

So another replay on Wednesday. It's impossible to separate them. It'll be extremely tough to go again then next Sunday down in Breffni Park but I'm sure neither team will be worrying about that just yet."
Tremendous courage from both teams,,maybe not the football everybody wanted ,but they r not the ones out on the porch giving it everything I've mentioned this a long time ago that it was madness leaving the club championship,s till Donegal exited the All Ireland ,what is it now seven games in eight weeks and another game Wednesday evening,and the winners out again on the Sunday following ,The County board should step in and have the Cavan game put back a week at least ,so unfair to the Donegal winners ,what is the injure s ituation I wonder ,

gaanervous (Donegal) - Posts: 186 - 27/10/2019 22:00:22    2246185

Link

Replying To gaanervous:  "Tremendous courage from both teams,,maybe not the football everybody wanted ,but they r not the ones out on the porch giving it everything I've mentioned this a long time ago that it was madness leaving the club championship,s till Donegal exited the All Ireland ,what is it now seven games in eight weeks and another game Wednesday evening,and the winners out again on the Sunday following ,The County board should step in and have the Cavan game put back a week at least ,so unfair to the Donegal winners ,what is the injure s ituation I wonder ,"
Yeah it's a tough old schedule. I think they should have just played extra time last Sunday, and then a replay. Play another 5 minutes a half extra time today, just to ensure we had a winner today. Hope that's making sense? That way the winner at least could have celebrated tonight and still have time to recover and refocus for Castlerahan on Sunday. As it stands, whoever wins on Wednesday faces a massive task in Ulster.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7009 - 27/10/2019 22:37:57    2246194

Link

Replying To gaanervous:  "Tremendous courage from both teams,,maybe not the football everybody wanted ,but they r not the ones out on the porch giving it everything I've mentioned this a long time ago that it was madness leaving the club championship,s till Donegal exited the All Ireland ,what is it now seven games in eight weeks and another game Wednesday evening,and the winners out again on the Sunday following ,The County board should step in and have the Cavan game put back a week at least ,so unfair to the Donegal winners ,what is the injure s ituation I wonder ,"
'Maybe not the football that everybody wanted' whoever that everybody is should have a word with themselves and consider another pursuit on a Sunday afternoon. I have seen most of the live tv club football and attended a few club games outside of the county this year and few compare....it was a pleasure to be in attendance esp as a neutral. The tension in the air right through the second half and extra time was as palpable as I have experienced. The effort and sheer will to win was of the highest order. Scores were not easy because every player on both sides put themselves through the ringer in terms of intensity and will to not lose. Some of the scores from McNialais and Ciaran Thompson were as good u will see anywhere under extreme pressure. The work rate and endeavor from Ethan O'Donnell, Naoise O'Baoill, Leo and Eamon McGee was phenomenal. Shame there will be a loser at some point but both teams deserve massive credit for their performances. Cannot wait for Wednesday night and despite the schedules that Cavan side will need to be excellent to beat the winners of the second replay such is the resolve and guts of both Glenties and Gweedore.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2342 - 28/10/2019 03:07:35    2246212

Link

Replying To panamasam:  "'Maybe not the football that everybody wanted' whoever that everybody is should have a word with themselves and consider another pursuit on a Sunday afternoon. I have seen most of the live tv club football and attended a few club games outside of the county this year and few compare....it was a pleasure to be in attendance esp as a neutral. The tension in the air right through the second half and extra time was as palpable as I have experienced. The effort and sheer will to win was of the highest order. Scores were not easy because every player on both sides put themselves through the ringer in terms of intensity and will to not lose. Some of the scores from McNialais and Ciaran Thompson were as good u will see anywhere under extreme pressure. The work rate and endeavor from Ethan O'Donnell, Naoise O'Baoill, Leo and Eamon McGee was phenomenal. Shame there will be a loser at some point but both teams deserve massive credit for their performances. Cannot wait for Wednesday night and despite the schedules that Cavan side will need to be excellent to beat the winners of the second replay such is the resolve and guts of both Glenties and Gweedore."
Brilliant effort from both sides,penalty was the turning point,If converted it would have put game out of reach.Cannot wait for the finale Wednesday night with a massive crowd of neutrals adding to the numbers attending.

neutral (None) - Posts: 290 - 28/10/2019 10:37:01    2246246

Link

Really enjoyable game. Credit to both teams for another great contest. Must say I have been really impressed by n conal at the start of the year I was thinking that there best days were behind them but by god they have proved me wrong so far, as for Gaoth Dobhair with the injuries piling up they are really showing us the strength of there squad.. really looking forward to Wednesday night. Was really impressed by Ethan o donnell last night so comfortable on the ball a call up to the county surely awaits. . Whoever wins on Wednesday surely deserves it but for the loser it's going to be heartbreak hopefully it'll not be decided on the dreaded penalties none of these two outstanding teams would deserve to lose that way.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 795 - 28/10/2019 11:09:35    2246255

Link

Have to say as an NC man so proud of the lads. Real warriors out there the both teams. Should have won but could have lost it too. Thought Jimmy had a so so game and I rate him highly. No complaints about the Gweedore penalty but thought Leo should have had a free in the last kick of normal time. Also have watched the over carrying incident with Nathan Byrne and thought it was harsh. However we dust down and go at it again. I'm hearing €12 in again.

tidytownman (Donegal) - Posts: 226 - 28/10/2019 13:25:34    2246283

Link

Replying To rorysboys:  "Really enjoyable game. Credit to both teams for another great contest. Must say I have been really impressed by n conal at the start of the year I was thinking that there best days were behind them but by god they have proved me wrong so far, as for Gaoth Dobhair with the injuries piling up they are really showing us the strength of there squad.. really looking forward to Wednesday night. Was really impressed by Ethan o donnell last night so comfortable on the ball a call up to the county surely awaits. . Whoever wins on Wednesday surely deserves it but for the loser it's going to be heartbreak hopefully it'll not be decided on the dreaded penalties none of these two outstanding teams would deserve to lose that way."
Yeah Ethan O'Donnell has being excellent in both games. He was always a player I liked at underage with the county until niggling injuries. Definitely see him playing some division one football and hope it all goes well for him. Kinda similar to Cian Ward.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2342 - 28/10/2019 18:05:58    2246323

Link

Ethan O'Donnell has really impressed me as well. He's a very good footballer. Very comfortable on the ball and has good physicality about him. He'll surely be drafted into the county senior set up in 2020.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7009 - 28/10/2019 20:27:50    2246348

Link

Replying To Lockjaw:  "Ethan O'Donnell has really impressed me as well. He's a very good footballer. Very comfortable on the ball and has good physicality about him. He'll surely be drafted into the county senior set up in 2020."
Yeah, agree on this as well. What about Gary McFadden from Gaoth Dobhair? Always impresses me and is always given the task of marking one of the best forward on the opposition they're playing. He looks comfortable on the ball and Donegal lacked a few man markers last year in the super 8's and he is definitely one of the best in club football in the county at the moment.

Mobot (Donegal) - Posts: 459 - 29/10/2019 10:10:14    2246417

Link

Replying To Mobot:  "Yeah, agree on this as well. What about Gary McFadden from Gaoth Dobhair? Always impresses me and is always given the task of marking one of the best forward on the opposition they're playing. He looks comfortable on the ball and Donegal lacked a few man markers last year in the super 8's and he is definitely one of the best in club football in the county at the moment."
Possibly a bit light for county football? Agree though that he is a tenacious man marker.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7009 - 29/10/2019 20:39:29    2246529

Link

Replying To Mobot:  "Yeah, agree on this as well. What about Gary McFadden from Gaoth Dobhair? Always impresses me and is always given the task of marking one of the best forward on the opposition they're playing. He looks comfortable on the ball and Donegal lacked a few man markers last year in the super 8's and he is definitely one of the best in club football in the county at the moment."
Absolutely should be looked at I think and expect he will be invited into the squad.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2342 - 29/10/2019 21:53:51    2246540

Link

We definitely need a few man marking defenders. But it's a huge step up. Probably one of the best man markers in club football is Conor Morrison but he finds it hard to nail down a place with the county. From being at most of the games we just don't seem to have that kind of player..

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 795 - 30/10/2019 09:53:18    2246584

Link

Replying To rorysboys:  "We definitely need a few man marking defenders. But it's a huge step up. Probably one of the best man markers in club football is Conor Morrison but he finds it hard to nail down a place with the county. From being at most of the games we just don't seem to have that kind of player.."
I think it all stems from the blanket defending so common in Donegal where a defender lets the forward get the ball and shepherds him until the numbers get back.Backs were never used to contesting balla man to man.

gunman (Donegal) - Posts: 659 - 30/10/2019 10:58:58    2246595

Link

Congratulations to Glenties. Controversy over last point but Glenties were the better team.

Lk22 (Donegal) - Posts: 4 - 30/10/2019 21:47:25    2246676

Link

Big congratulations to Naomh Conaill on winning the 2019 county championship.

I have to admit I didn't see them as winners at the semi final stage but credit where credits due any team that beats both St Eunans & Gaoith Dobhair deserve huge praise.

Tough challenge this weekend in the Ulster Championship but that won't matter tonight!

MuckrossHead (Donegal) - Posts: 4973 - 30/10/2019 22:00:13    2246680

Link

Will Glenties be back down to earth come Sunday.What was Eamon Mc Gee doing cost Gweedore big time.Was it a point if not cruel on Gweedore.

neutral (None) - Posts: 290 - 30/10/2019 22:21:20    2246686

Link