Westmeath Forum

Minor Footballers

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Good luck to the County U17 footballers tonight away to Longford in the first round of the Leinster Championship 7pm:

Jamie Mulkerrin; Daire Smyth, Dylan Fagan, Adam Treanor; Darragh Seery, Eamon Martin, Josh Gahan; Conor Gibney, Fionn O'Hara; Cillian Lawlor, Luke Buckley, Darren Mnguni; Ben McGauran, Devin Hill, Dan Leech

Subs: Sean Hynes, Ronan Hanley, Shane Reid, Zach Aherne, Rory Mullins, Brendan Killian, Ciaran Daly, Shane Williams, Colm Murray

4 teams in group 1 - away to Laois on May 8th and home to Carlow on 15th May.
4 groups so 2 qualify out of each group into quarter finals.

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 721 - 23/04/2019 16:16:06    2179942

Link

Replying To BigSur:  "Good luck to the County U17 footballers tonight away to Longford in the first round of the Leinster Championship 7pm:

Jamie Mulkerrin; Daire Smyth, Dylan Fagan, Adam Treanor; Darragh Seery, Eamon Martin, Josh Gahan; Conor Gibney, Fionn O'Hara; Cillian Lawlor, Luke Buckley, Darren Mnguni; Ben McGauran, Devin Hill, Dan Leech

Subs: Sean Hynes, Ronan Hanley, Shane Reid, Zach Aherne, Rory Mullins, Brendan Killian, Ciaran Daly, Shane Williams, Colm Murray

4 teams in group 1 - away to Laois on May 8th and home to Carlow on 15th May.
4 groups so 2 qualify out of each group into quarter finals."
Were you at it? A good start anyways. Never easy to go to Pearse Park and win. Be super if we can do well at u17 this year as we have been very poor at underage the level the last few years. Can only be a good thing that Luke Dempsey and Jack Cooney are involved with the underage development teams.

Matthew (None) - Posts: 923 - 23/04/2019 21:31:54    2179992

Link

Good luck to the minor footballers today. A tough game ahead but hopefully they can do it.

The_Biler (Westmeath) - Posts: 84 - 22/06/2019 07:19:29    2198484

Link

Is there any plan put in place for this group of players for the next 3 years until they are U20? By all accounts a fairly talented group, weren't too far off Dublin in a Leinster semi final. Will they just go back to their clubs for the next 3 years and expect a similar result? You can guarantee that Dublin team will have a 3 year development and S&C plan put in front of them to get them to U20!

Wmeath2 (Westmeath) - Posts: 103 - 02/09/2019 22:37:17    2232137

Link

Replying To Wmeath2:  "Is there any plan put in place for this group of players for the next 3 years until they are U20? By all accounts a fairly talented group, weren't too far off Dublin in a Leinster semi final. Will they just go back to their clubs for the next 3 years and expect a similar result? You can guarantee that Dublin team will have a 3 year development and S&C plan put in front of them to get them to U20!"
I concur that is a decent minor side Westmeath had. I seen a few of the Ulster teams but was most impressed by Westmeath and Dublin when I seen them play. It was a game Westmeath should have won but I think the pressure of the situation got to them. Dublin threw away Leinster with poor decision in the final third. Plus I thought they done the same against Mayo conceding silly goals combined with poor finishing. I imagine with Jack Cooney and Luke Dempsey involved underage these players will be put on the right path and taken care of.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2480 - 12/09/2019 00:48:37    2234627

Link

There needs to be a huge shake up of the underage county squads in the county.

Westmeath barely able to field today v Laois at U16 level and losing

Where are all the talented footballers and hurlers and why do they not want to be involved with county panels?

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1791 - 26/10/2019 17:46:59    2245960

Link

Well done to the Downs who retained their minor football title today. Well refereed by Shane Maher and a good contest throughout.

midfield9 (Westmeath) - Posts: 54 - 28/10/2019 22:08:06    2246367

Link

That is 2 in a row and 4 minor titles in 6 years for The Downs - i think they have won 6 minor leagues in a row ?
This group of players have won titles at all grades from U12 to U18 so a decent outfit. Keep them playing is the challenge.
Kinnegad never got going and the soft pitch seemed to have suited The Downs more. 2 second half goals secured the win.
Some change from last year's U17 final which Kinnegad won comfortably.
I believe this is a young Kinnegad team who no doubt will be back next year.
Tough to take along with the U17 final defeat a few weeks ago albeit vs a 4 club amalgamation.

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 721 - 28/10/2019 23:35:13    2246377

Link

Quick correction re minor titles for The Downs , yes 4 Div.1 championships in 6 years, playing in 5 finals & 5 Div. 1 league
titles in a row, not 6. Tough going for both teams on soft ground, especially as quite a few Downs players also had to play U18 hurling semi same weekend on Sat. Terrible pity game could not be played in TEG Cusack Park as befitting the county's underage Premier Title.

Convert2 (Westmeath) - Posts: 19 - 29/10/2019 11:26:18    2246442

Link

Replying To valley84:  "There needs to be a huge shake up of the underage county squads in the county.

Westmeath barely able to field today v Laois at U16 level and losing

Where are all the talented footballers and hurlers and why do they not want to be involved with county panels?"
While you are 100% correct that the underage set up could be better, your facts aren't accurate. They had 25 togged out (barely field) also missing 4 from first 15.
This group are putting in a great effort this year ,its the lack of structure for this group at U13/14/15 that is the gap. In this county we treat the U 13/14/15 Squads as a tick box and then wonder what has happened at U16/17. You will hear lads then describe the players as "no good" because Meath, Kidare or Dublin beat them at U17. The difference is these three counties plus Offaly are putting huge work into these younger squads and reap the rewards at U16/17, we continue to scratch our heads at county board level and blame Mentors or players,who in both cases are trying to work with the hand they are dealt.

Thechick (Westmeath) - Posts: 90 - 30/10/2019 10:38:46    2246592

Link

Folks what are the thoughts on where a player should be by the time they reach U17 in terms of skill levels, physical development and game awareness - answer this any we have an idea of where we need to be.
That is where we are failing I believe. Likewise that development should continue through to U20 and senior.
If we look at what we are presenting to Senior management as potential inter-county standard footballers we are failing miserably.
Devlopment squads/coaching should focus on exactly that; development. NOT results on the scoreboard.
The core skills need to develop early. Hand passing, kick passing, pick-up, block down, tackling, fetching, presenting for a pass, score taking etc. - both hands; both feet. Similarly there needs to be a focus on different styles of play. Running game, kicking game, closing out tight games, isolating forwards, high-press defence, kick-out options, dead ball plays (free-kick, sideline balls, marks etc.).
Physical devlopment should also be a continuous process - no fast-tracking; age appropriate and game specific.

The development programe should be universal across the county whether the coaching is happening in a club, school or development squad environment. WE NEED A PLAN!

If a child goes for swimming lessons they are not thrown into the deepend because they are 14,; they must progress through the different stages; football development should be the same.

fizzygravy (USA) - Posts: 111 - 30/10/2019 12:51:01    2246608

Link

Replying To Thechick:  "While you are 100% correct that the underage set up could be better, your facts aren't accurate. They had 25 togged out (barely field) also missing 4 from first 15.
This group are putting in a great effort this year ,its the lack of structure for this group at U13/14/15 that is the gap. In this county we treat the U 13/14/15 Squads as a tick box and then wonder what has happened at U16/17. You will hear lads then describe the players as "no good" because Meath, Kidare or Dublin beat them at U17. The difference is these three counties plus Offaly are putting huge work into these younger squads and reap the rewards at U16/17, we continue to scratch our heads at county board level and blame Mentors or players,who in both cases are trying to work with the hand they are dealt."
The conflict between football and hurling squads has to stop.
We need to keep our talented dual players up to U20.
We seem to do the opposite. It actually stops us getting the talent that is in the county onto the field.
We've a huge disadvantage in terms of lack of facilities in the county and schools.
We've no full time staff with an expertise in S&C, unlike some neighbouring counties

And yes, the U16s had a squad of 25 last Saturday. I'll gladly admit I got that wrong. Doesn't alter the fact of players not wanting to go on our county panels.

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1791 - 30/10/2019 15:55:30    2246634

Link

Has anything like this ever happened in Westmeath?

[url=]https://twitter.com/Offaly_GAA/status/1189985470643609601

martyW (Westmeath) - Posts: 254 - 01/11/2019 09:09:00    2246933

Link

What is the story with the full time S&C appointed in Sept '18 and to work with all age groups ?

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 721 - 01/11/2019 16:47:37    2247020

Link

Replying To BigSur:  "What is the story with the full time S&C appointed in Sept '18 and to work with all age groups ?"
I think he was also the physio with the senior hurlers? I think he got caught out acting the flute and wasn't replaced.

the21yardline (Westmeath) - Posts: 142 - 03/11/2019 12:47:28    2247373

Link

Replying To BigSur:  "That is 2 in a row and 4 minor titles in 6 years for The Downs - i think they have won 6 minor leagues in a row ?
This group of players have won titles at all grades from U12 to U18 so a decent outfit. Keep them playing is the challenge.
Kinnegad never got going and the soft pitch seemed to have suited The Downs more. 2 second half goals secured the win.
Some change from last year's U17 final which Kinnegad won comfortably.
I believe this is a young Kinnegad team who no doubt will be back next year.
Tough to take along with the U17 final defeat a few weeks ago albeit vs a 4 club amalgamation."
And The Downs are still trying to pouch Killucan underage players I wounder are they at the same with other clubs

RAHKILL (Westmeath) - Posts: 395 - 03/11/2019 20:49:24    2247514

Link

Replying To RAHKILL:  "And The Downs are still trying to pouch Killucan underage players I wounder are they at the same with other clubs"
Bit of a random comment there rahkill, can you elaborate more? Correct me if i'm wrong but Killucan were very strong at u16,17 & minor this year so i'm not sure what the downs winning minor has got to do with that.

Left Full (Westmeath) - Posts: 185 - 04/11/2019 08:25:44    2247571

Link

Replying To RAHKILL:  "And The Downs are still trying to pouch Killucan underage players I wounder are they at the same with other clubs"
Strange comment re one club poaching players from another.
Is this in relation to U18 as this about minor championship.
If you are going to make that comment, please back them up with some facts.
Killucan won U16 last year beating Lomans with a very good team, assume they will push on and win U18 next year (that's if there is an U18 next year championship).

Convert2 (Westmeath) - Posts: 19 - 04/11/2019 10:34:11    2247600

Link

Is there any talk of Westmeath going to 13/15/17 instead of 14/16/18 for next year ,this comes up every year. Seemingly Croke Park sent out letters to county boards looking to push for it but its a decision that the clubs have to make, it cannot be enforced. I was told Longford are adamant they are remaining as is. We in Westmeath were told that its only ourselves and Longford left in Leinster(holding up progress) but I was told that overall there are 20 or 22 counties still using 14/16/18 age groups and some of the ones that did change looking to go back ???

Thechick (Westmeath) - Posts: 90 - 06/11/2019 17:15:34    2248153

Link