Donegal Forum

Attendances 2020

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Lockjaw:  "Who knows, maybe the fact that the summer is drawing to a close & the schools are (hopefully) reopening might be a good thing? There will be less people travelling around and if we can rein in the community transmission a bit and continue the mask wearing, hand washing, distancing efforts things might take a turn for the better?

People are fearing the flu season as well. But if you look at it in another way, we've never been better prepared for it. People are way more inclined than ever to wear masks, wash hands regularly etc, and you'd hope there would be a bigger than normal uptake of the flu vaccine this winter. So hopefully the flu will not infect as many people as it might ordinarily have done in other years."
Have to say I completely disagree. I think schools will reopen but will shut again soon after. There is going to be a huge spike coming our way and we will be lucky to have the championship finished at all

donegaldouble (Donegal) - Posts: 272 - 20/08/2020 14:35:23    2288408

Link

Replying To donegaldouble:  "Have to say I completely disagree. I think schools will reopen but will shut again soon after. There is going to be a huge spike coming our way and we will be lucky to have the championship finished at all"
Yeah I'm starting to think that as unpalatable as it would be, we may have no choice but to return to some form of lockdown in order to rein in the transmission rates again. If it meant 5 or 6 weeks of hardship to get things back in order would you be in favour?

I'm well aware of the economical challenges presented by adopting such a strategy. But it's back to that health vs wealth debate. It's an extremely tricky balancing act and I do not envy the decisions the government are having to make.

That said, they're doing themselves absolutely no favours either. Breaking news tonight is some of them attended a golf society event where there were 80 people present. Not good at all.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7356 - 20/08/2020 20:48:55    2288467

Link