Donegal Forum

Leo Mcloone

(Oldest Posts First)

Felt Leo deserved his own thread. I doubt he's ever been too bothered reading the opinions of us fans here on the HS Donegal forum but a place nonetheless to leave an appreciative comment or two.

Leo was a great servant to Donegal and was a key member of the most successful era in our history. He was underrated I feel, especially outside of Donegal perhaps mainly due to his versatility.

Everyone knows he had great physicality and running power. But his footballing skill should be acknowledged too. He could take scores off either foot and was a very decent goal finisher when an opportunity arose. His wee deft dinked finish away to Derry in the 2014 championship for example.

Anyways congrats to Leo on a fantastic career. I'm sure we'll continue to see him in the blue and white for a good few years yet.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7356 - 28/01/2020 21:30:43    2263332

Link

Yes a fantastic servant like Frank mcglynn and all the rest before him.. of the 2012 All-ireland winning team that started on that glorious day..who is left..MM, PmBer, Neil and Paddy McGrath..am I missing anyone? Great sevents they all were..and got the holy grail..

RoryGall35 (Donegal) - Posts: 114 - 28/01/2020 22:33:58    2263354

Link

Brilliant career from a brilliant player. Congrats Leo on everything you achieved as a player. Thank you for being part of some fantastic days and memories.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2586 - 28/01/2020 23:06:52    2263366

Link

I was sad to hear the confirmation yesterday that Leo has retired. I though he had a great club championship and had still a lot to offer to Donegal. However it is understandable as he probably felt he wasnt going to get a starting place this year and the committment is unreal.

He was an integral part of the McGuinness team, very physical, strong runner and could take a score of either foot. He could also chip in with some vital goals like the opener in the 2012 ulster final and away to Derry in 2014. I thought he had a great year in 2018 and was surprised he didnt get more game time last year. Best of luck to Leo in the future.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1767 - 29/01/2020 09:53:10    2263413

Link

Sad to hear that leo has retired, fantastic player vital to our success in 2012. i thought he was outstanding in the 2014 final too. i was hoping that he would gave it one more year but i fully understand his decision. thanks again leo for the memories

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 1000 - 29/01/2020 10:44:01    2263431

Link

A man has his own reason but i feel its a real shame for Leo to hang them up for Donegal at the age of 30.

There was surely another 2 good years in him for a player who hasnt really been bothered to much by injury over the years.

Very very good player for Donegal who was always reliable, always capable of a big score and very very rarely did he lose his man to man battle.

Only thing i can think of regarding him moving on, in a football sense is perhaps the current management team are looking for abit more pace on the county attack which wouldnt really be Leo's game but surely he would still have been a very valuable man to have around helping to shore up games or add some experience when required. Maybe he sees alot of competition in his area of the field but just feels hes been abit quick on the trigger here especially when we are possibly on the verge of a big breakthrough.

Best of luck in county retirement

ManusFromHeaven (Donegal) - Posts: 328 - 29/01/2020 12:08:14    2263462

Link

A fantastic footballer, both in intelligence and in the physical aspects. A great servant who was blackguarded by Rory Gallagher. I can see him have another 7 or 8 years as a top end club footballer. I would have named one of my young fellas after him, only for Varadkar.

SouthOfTheGap (Donegal) - Posts: 142 - 29/01/2020 12:12:45    2263464

Link

Very sad to see Leo go, he had a great club championship and I was excited to see what he could bring to the inter-county scene with a clear run at it this year.

A great servant to Donegal and a pity about the couple of lost years but he won it all with his county and we'll miss him!

All the best in retirement Leo.

JoeSoap (Donegal) - Posts: 1182 - 29/01/2020 14:17:10    2263511

Link

So sad to hear about Leo,s ending County football ,he done his job without ever seeking the limelight and one of the nicest player,s to meet of the field .I'm sure it has nothing to do with management I think it's the long hours training and being a teacher getting up early but such a joy to watch and so intelligent ,I'm so glad being a Glenties man I'll c him adorn his beloved blue and white but sadly not the green and gold ,thank,s Leo for all the wonderful memories.

gaanervous (Donegal) - Posts: 186 - 29/01/2020 14:36:46    2263521

Link

Some boy. Strong as an ox, and no little skill to go with it. A truly great servant for Donegal and someone who you knew loved representing their county.

Enjoy retirement Leo, you gave us some great days.

Samsforthehills (Donegal) - Posts: 1029 - 29/01/2020 14:43:36    2263523

Link

What a player , still could have an impact at county level. Some people have already mentioned this but he was versatile for his own good, Centre half back is always the position I would have loved to see him get an extended run at.
Woulda shoulda coulda , leave the stage with

1 All-Ireland Senior Football Championship: 2012
5 Ulster Senior Football Championship: 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019
1 Ulster Under-21 Football Championship: 2010[11]
1 Ulster Minor Football Championship: 2006[10]

well done and thanks for all the hard work

ulsterrules (Donegal) - Posts: 239 - 29/01/2020 16:29:21    2263546

Link

Sadly the old brigade is dwindling down with Leo beng the latest to call it a day. Leo answered every bell giving tremendous service to the Donegal colours over the last 12 years. Still a lot to give at club level he will be missed.

thelowball (USA) - Posts: 316 - 30/01/2020 12:37:02    2263742

Link

A few highlights from a distance :
A lightning Donegal attack starting from left corner back against Kerry (2012) late in the first half finished off by Leo rifling over a great score. He took a few punishing hits in that match when winning loose balls leading to scores
His goals in the 2012 & 2014 Ulster Championship.
That lung bursting solo run into the Cork half after Colm O 'Neil hit the crossbar , roared on by 1,000s and could have led to one of the scores of the year.

Talking about what might have been in the nip and tuck final of 2014 with scores at a premium and teams level at 1.3 -0.6 in the 35th minute. Leo made a great break from midfield breaking past three Kerry players passed to Karl Lacey and sprinted past for a quick return pass which would have put him clear on goal. The split second opportunity passed when Lacey checked to his left and ending up kicking wide off his weaker side. I would have backed Leo's left boot to find the target had the quick one two been executed in that moment.

Curlew66 (Roscommon) - Posts: 384 - 20/02/2020 23:02:44    2268697

Link

Replying To Curlew66:  "A few highlights from a distance :
A lightning Donegal attack starting from left corner back against Kerry (2012) late in the first half finished off by Leo rifling over a great score. He took a few punishing hits in that match when winning loose balls leading to scores
His goals in the 2012 & 2014 Ulster Championship.
That lung bursting solo run into the Cork half after Colm O 'Neil hit the crossbar , roared on by 1,000s and could have led to one of the scores of the year.

Talking about what might have been in the nip and tuck final of 2014 with scores at a premium and teams level at 1.3 -0.6 in the 35th minute. Leo made a great break from midfield breaking past three Kerry players passed to Karl Lacey and sprinted past for a quick return pass which would have put him clear on goal. The split second opportunity passed when Lacey checked to his left and ending up kicking wide off his weaker side. I would have backed Leo's left boot to find the target had the quick one two been executed in that moment."
Aside from not finding the offload to Leo, i always thought it was a hugely significant moment in the match. What a boost it would have been for Donegal after being 1-1 down after 5mins to go in at the break at point ahead.

So so un Karl Lacey like to take on a shot and not find the target because he was a master of making the correct decision.

PS- on a similar theme of crucial indecision in that game. 5mins into the 2nd half the ball comes to McNiallais surrounded on the 45. He has a hopeful punt up in the air and the ball goes 10yds wide. If he had gotten his head up and let off a fist or kick pass, Anthony Thompson is running just outside the D and nobody is in a 20 yard radius of him. He would have been clean through on goal with all the time in the world.

Small margins cost us a 2nd all ireland in that era.

ManusFromHeaven (Donegal) - Posts: 328 - 21/02/2020 10:06:08    2268735

Link

Leo McLoone was a player I admired and respected greatly, not so much for his football finesse, but more for his rugged physical approach to matches, a trait which I thought we badly missed during Rory Gallaghers reign. Against some sides, particularly in Ulster, such a player is a great asset to the team.

He was a great servant to Donegal at all age levels, I thank him for the time and effort he dedicated to Donegal. I have a feeling his coaching roles at underage will continue to contribute to Donegals success moving forward.
Great player, I think he could have played another year or two yet.

Commodore (Donegal) - Posts: 591 - 26/02/2020 13:13:32    2270299

Link

Replying To Commodore:  "Leo McLoone was a player I admired and respected greatly, not so much for his football finesse, but more for his rugged physical approach to matches, a trait which I thought we badly missed during Rory Gallaghers reign. Against some sides, particularly in Ulster, such a player is a great asset to the team.

He was a great servant to Donegal at all age levels, I thank him for the time and effort he dedicated to Donegal. I have a feeling his coaching roles at underage will continue to contribute to Donegals success moving forward.
Great player, I think he could have played another year or two yet."
Thank u ,it's nice to know that not all posters on this forum r not anti Naomh Conaill ,a wonderful dedicated player ,who gave his all for his County,will be sadly missed as will the equally talented player who ran miles ,but both will be around for a while in the blue and white the great Anthony Thompson,his brother is following in his footsteps ,so many more great players here at Naomh Conaill ,we r so lucky with the work put in behind the scene .

gaanervous (Donegal) - Posts: 186 - 26/02/2020 14:46:01    2270321

Link