Donegal Forum

Donegal V Fermanagh

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

The game panned out as expected yesterday really. It was a tough watch early on but I was always felt that once we were patient the scores would come and Fermanagh ran out of steam a bit in the last 5-10 minutes. Crucially we didn't concede a goal either, which was the only way Fermanagh were going to seriously trouble us.

I was very impressed with Paddy McGrath. He took the game to Fermanagh in the first half when it wasn't really going our way. It showed great leadership, fantastic to see. It was probably wise to take him off near the end as one more foul might have meant him seeing red. But a good day's work by the Ardara man.

Jason McGee is growing in confidence as well. It would be great to see him start winning primary possession. He looks a lot stronger this year and he has good mobility for a big man. He's also a good score taker.

Patrick McBrearty is started to motor after his long layoff. There were signs of rustiness yesterday for sure but he kept at it and 0-5 in a tight game was good going. His drive hasn't been diminished one bit. There was no way he was pulling out of challenging for that bouncing ball in the second half.

Special word for Jamie Brennan as well. There's no messing about with him when an opportunity presents itself. Four excellent points from play yesterday in claustrophobic conditions.

Obviously Tyrone on Saturday week will be a big step up. Tyrone will probably start as slight favourites which might suit us. Should be a cracking contest!

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7103 - 27/05/2019 09:58:27    2187982

Link

more pearls of wisdom from Martin McHugh in commentary yesterday referring to how Fermanagh were ''well coached''. A good coach with work hard to improve his team in converting chances and not having them all on one side of the field when they are chasing the game. A good coach will alter his approach if he wants to win the game rather than looking for a moral victory in defeat.

totalrecall (Leitrim) - Posts: 529 - 27/05/2019 10:49:22    2188020

Link

Replying To totalrecall:  "more pearls of wisdom from Martin McHugh in commentary yesterday referring to how Fermanagh were ''well coached''. A good coach with work hard to improve his team in converting chances and not having them all on one side of the field when they are chasing the game. A good coach will alter his approach if he wants to win the game rather than looking for a moral victory in defeat."
I seem to remember a former Naomh Columba and Donegal player doing an interview before the ulster final last year saying Rory Gallagher was in the top 3 managers in GAA.

ryan (Donegal) - Posts: 490 - 27/05/2019 12:10:43    2188068

Link

Replying To totalrecall:  "more pearls of wisdom from Martin McHugh in commentary yesterday referring to how Fermanagh were ''well coached''. A good coach with work hard to improve his team in converting chances and not having them all on one side of the field when they are chasing the game. A good coach will alter his approach if he wants to win the game rather than looking for a moral victory in defeat."
Watched game last night and was dumbfounded at some of the comments from McHugh with reference to Rory Gallagher. Clearly McHugh is a big supporter but is was way off the mark. No idea how he gets media work.

As for the game itself. Predictable, dull and job done, move on quickly. I left the ground thinking, thank god we got rid of Rory when we did or it would have been us in the qualifier draw this morning!

I think we'll beat Tyrone and have better players in every position.

fatkeeper (Dublin) - Posts: 316 - 27/05/2019 14:00:39    2188131

Link

I Think Tyrone will feel that they can target us in the air through Mc Shane and Donnnelly. We need to keep Donnely, Harte, Mc Shane and Mc Cann quiet. Sludden to an extent also.

I think we should sit in and make it difficult for them, and with the scorers we have, this will give us a great chance. We can't concede two goals again this year.

We need to stop them running and giving away easy frees.

Think we looked really fit on Sunday and a few players seem stronger.

TheRock2121 (Donegal) - Posts: 571 - 27/05/2019 16:00:30    2188189

Link

Job done it's time to look forward to the tyrone game. This will be a real test. By interesting to see how management approach it. I feel we have to be a bit more defensive . From watching tyrone they love to hit Cathal Mc Shane with early ball. He is a danger so we need to gave our defense more cover. I'm not saying Everyman behind the ball . But we have to be careful because tyrone can score goals. I've a feeling that Mickey didn't show his hand this last two games. I think with our forwards, that Mickey will be a bit more defensive in this game too. Still has the making of a high scoring game. Tyrone will push up on Patton's kick outs so it's imperative that we won the midfield battle and that we pick up the breaking ball. Can't wait

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 878 - 27/05/2019 19:04:22    2188264

Link

No secret here what I think of Rory Gallagher as a manager. To think he got a contract extension shows more than M McHugh under his spell in Donegal. Goes beyond Donegal too with some in the media. Donegal lost some important years as a result of him as manager made more crucial given u don't get many Michael Murphys. From where I was in the crowd yesterday there was plenty of murmurs of frustration among the Fermanagh supporters. The tactics were to keep the game close and maybe somehow get a goal or test the Donegal players temperament getting one sent off to bring it more in their favour. Neither happened and that was all she wrote. Saying that Fermanagh did defend reasonably well and forced some good turnovers but with no bodies in front was like running into the abyss.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2479 - 27/05/2019 19:22:37    2188276

Link

Replying To ryan:  "I seem to remember a former Naomh Columba and Donegal player doing an interview before the ulster final last year saying Rory Gallagher was in the top 3 managers in GAA."
Some comedians down in Glen alright!

fatkeeper (Dublin) - Posts: 316 - 27/05/2019 19:26:20    2188280

Link

For all the perceived popularity of Rory with the Donegal players esp those in Kilcar and Killybegs I doubt that popularity is universal throughout the squad and not just the obvious one in Leo. I don't know if others picked it up during the week but I certainly did among the media build up to yesterday's game. Certainly no love lost on the sidelines either. Apparently there were no hand shakes before or after the game which says it all. Does the beef come from the game in Letterkenny or beyond that? I imagine Declan Bonner was secretly fuming with the handling of his U-21 squad a couple of years ago.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2479 - 27/05/2019 19:38:39    2188283

Link

Hi totalrecall:. Another classic quote from Mc Hugh in 2017 describing Rory as the best football brain he ever met and describing Colm Cooper as a two trick pony.

AudiMan (Donegal) - Posts: 479 - 27/05/2019 21:03:09    2188311

Link

Replying To rorysboys:  "Job done it's time to look forward to the tyrone game. This will be a real test. By interesting to see how management approach it. I feel we have to be a bit more defensive . From watching tyrone they love to hit Cathal Mc Shane with early ball. He is a danger so we need to gave our defense more cover. I'm not saying Everyman behind the ball . But we have to be careful because tyrone can score goals. I've a feeling that Mickey didn't show his hand this last two games. I think with our forwards, that Mickey will be a bit more defensive in this game too. Still has the making of a high scoring game. Tyrone will push up on Patton's kick outs so it's imperative that we won the midfield battle and that we pick up the breaking ball. Can't wait"
Will need big improvement from yesterday around the middle. Hugh was fisting the ball alot with Fermanagh getting a fair share of it. Jason definitely has the ability to take plenty in the air.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2479 - 27/05/2019 21:39:42    2188335

Link

Replying To panamasam:  "Will need big improvement from yesterday around the middle. Hugh was fisting the ball alot with Fermanagh getting a fair share of it. Jason definitely has the ability to take plenty in the air."
Yeah did you see the picture doing the rounds of the height he got up at the throw in? Holy God1

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7103 - 28/05/2019 09:42:45    2188411

Link

Replying To panamasam:  "Will need big improvement from yesterday around the middle. Hugh was fisting the ball alot with Fermanagh getting a fair share of it. Jason definitely has the ability to take plenty in the air."
I really like Hugh but he does fist the ball a lot and we didn't pick up any of those. I know this is probably instructions from the management but I think he should trust himself to catch some of those as he has good hands. Jason McGee is improving game on game, going to be some player in a few years time.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1734 - 28/05/2019 10:10:47    2188417

Link

Replying To Green_Gold:  "I really like Hugh but he does fist the ball a lot and we didn't pick up any of those. I know this is probably instructions from the management but I think he should trust himself to catch some of those as he has good hands. Jason McGee is improving game on game, going to be some player in a few years time."
Just have to hope the Aussies don't come knocking again!

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7103 - 28/05/2019 11:06:33    2188442

Link

Replying To Lockjaw:  "Just have to hope the Aussies don't come knocking again!"
They might but he won't be going. He did travel over and sampled life their but prefers to be close to home by all accounts.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2479 - 28/05/2019 13:36:18    2188505

Link

Replying To Lockjaw:  "Yeah did you see the picture doing the rounds of the height he got up at the throw in? Holy God1"
Not seen the photo on question but there was one he went for but missed as timed it too early. Nearly went into orbit he got up that high. Jason and Michael Langan will give Donegal some advantage in that area of the pitch in years to come. There is also a young Dowling lad coming through with the minors of similar ilk. He is as good a young fielder as I have seen.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2479 - 28/05/2019 13:41:16    2188507

Link

Replying To AudiMan:  "Hi totalrecall:. Another classic quote from Mc Hugh in 2017 describing Rory as the best football brain he ever met and describing Colm Cooper as a two trick pony."
And don't forget audiman his classic "what's interesting, what's interesting" which generally amounts to something that is barely interesting!!

totalrecall (Leitrim) - Posts: 529 - 28/05/2019 15:41:19    2188545

Link