Westmeath Forum

Senior & intermediate championship 2016

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

garrycastle are a marvellous example of fighting spirit and lomans will be wary of them . i think athlone could beat shamrocks

mickcunningham (Westmeath) - Posts: 1231 - 26/09/2016 09:16:45    1919097

Link

Lomans vs Garrycastle.... comfortable for lomans
Athlone vs Shamrocks...shamrocks by at least 5pts
lomans will beat killucan after a scrap and shamrocks will beat tyrellspass

Lomans will win it

footiemad (Westmeath) - Posts: 733 - 26/09/2016 10:58:38    1919156

Link

Lomans V Garrycastle - Lomasn by 5
Athlone V Shamrocks - Shamrocks by 6

Tang V Tubberclaire - Tang by 2
Rosemount V Shandonagh - Rosemount by 6

martyW (Westmeath) - Posts: 251 - 27/09/2016 14:35:32    1919665

Link

Athlone should beat Shamrocks and do not dismiss Garrycastle possible south double.

Icehouse (Westmeath) - Posts: 41 - 28/09/2016 09:00:56    1920034

Link

Replying To Icehouse:  "Athlone should beat Shamrocks and do not dismiss Garrycastle possible south double."
I don't see how Athlone should beat Shamrocks. Of course they could, but they are definitely underdogs. They are missing their best player, haven't won a senior championship knockout game in at least 10 years, lost convincingly to Caulry only 5 weeks ago, are playing a team who haven't lost a championship or league game in over 5 months, and who have been at the semi stage every year this decade.

Also I think Lomans will have too much for Garrycastle. It's been fantastic the way Garrycastle have pulled themselves back in to the championship, but I just can't see them keeping with Lomans. Although I think they will do better than last year's game.

jamsie (Westmeath) - Posts: 258 - 28/09/2016 10:40:17    1920065

Link

Shamrocks will account for Athlone in an edgey match.

Lomans will just do enough to get past Garrycastle
Garrycastles expectation of the county board to refix there game for a man who only put his boots on 3weeks ago when they where heading for the exit door...legend or not get on with it, with or without Dessie there not good enough anyways!!

Dr.Phil (Cavan) - Posts: 109 - 28/09/2016 12:41:14    1920129

Link

Replying To Dr.Phil:  "Shamrocks will account for Athlone in an edgey match.

Lomans will just do enough to get past Garrycastle
Garrycastles expectation of the county board to refix there game for a man who only put his boots on 3weeks ago when they where heading for the exit door...legend or not get on with it, with or without Dessie there not good enough anyways!!"
It's crazy that they even asked. "Please can we move to the earlier time, as one of our players needs to make it to work in Dublin for 5pm". I imagine many players from all 4 teams have had to take off work on Saturday. Of course that is a whole other issue.

Andy_Capp (Westmeath) - Posts: 264 - 28/09/2016 13:11:01    1920143

Link

Replying To Andy_Capp:  "It's crazy that they even asked. "Please can we move to the earlier time, as one of our players needs to make it to work in Dublin for 5pm". I imagine many players from all 4 teams have had to take off work on Saturday. Of course that is a whole other issue."
But there's also the consideration that majority of players don't like waiting around for a game on a sunday evening and their whole weekend is then gone

Dote (Westmeath) - Posts: 213 - 28/09/2016 13:25:48    1920151

Link

Replying To Dote:  "But there's also the consideration that majority of players don't like waiting around for a game on a sunday evening and their whole weekend is then gone"
Yeah for sure. And you'll never please everyone. But if a player chooses to go to work rather than play a game, then his club are really stretching things looking for the game to be moved.

Andy_Capp (Westmeath) - Posts: 264 - 28/09/2016 13:35:06    1920155

Link

What about the IFC, will Rosemount do the business against shandonagh?

GAAman41 (Dublin) - Posts: 87 - 30/09/2016 10:42:41    1920815

Link

I feel it's an absolutely joke that these games were ever fixed for that date (Saturday, 1st of October)
Never has a senior football county quarter final been scheduled for a Saturday in Westmeath, and it puts a lot of people (players, officials and supporters) under pressure not just because the All-Ireland, but the fact a lot of people work.
And because of decisions like this, a lot of people are turning their backs on the GAA.
Prove of this will be seen in the stands on Saturday …
It's not a Westmeath issue either - I see Martin McHugh has spoken about similar issues in Donegal.
http://www.donegalnow.com/gaa/martin-mchugh-were-killing-club-football/119903

Registered (Westmeath) - Posts: 29 - 30/09/2016 14:09:09    1920884

Link

Rosemount Tclaire final. I can see rosemount winning but it will be close.

gti (Westmeath) - Posts: 188 - 03/10/2016 10:23:29    1921753

Link

Surprised to see Athlone and Mullingar draw, replay on Wednesday in Tubberclare. Lomans won handy as expected

Great win for Tubberclare yesterday, they looked very impressive whereas Rosemount looked very labored in their win. The Flanagan sending off was a bit turning point. Strange to see the Final on a Saturday with the senior semi's given priority to be played on Sunday.

martyW (Westmeath) - Posts: 251 - 03/10/2016 10:35:14    1921760

Link

Very poor crowd in attendance on Saturday, probably a reflection on the lack of support for the town teams in general, great crowd in attendance on Sunday, Rosemount deserved win but just about, Shandonagh needed a goal but very difficult with 14 men, Rosemount didn't finish them off as you would expect, Tang were unquestionably the better team for long spells, played very good brand of football but they opted to take points in first half when goals were on, Gary's presence still important for T-clair, two errors in Tang defence gave T-clair their opportunity and they took them, should be decent final, Athlone and Shamrocks was disappointing match, slow paced, low scoring, replay might go Athlone's way, Lomans always looked comfortable against Garrycastle, only Alex Gardiner really threatened for Garrycastle, Casey, Whelan, two Reillys, Sean Flanagan, Heslin and Sharry were best for Lomans.

kawaifive0 (Westmeath) - Posts: 112 - 03/10/2016 11:34:26    1921799

Link

A joke that a Senior Championship match has been fixed of a Wednesday night but however,,
After the last day if I was a betting man my money would be with Athlone tonight although Shamrocks did have a few starters on the bench on Saturday,
If they can play the whole game tonight, they also need more from the likes of Kieran Gavin and Killian Daly, and not be disrupted by players having to travel distances for the match they should account for Athlone,
The Ray Connellan factor will be huge if he can start or play any longer than he did Saturday Shamrocks could be in trouble..

Dr.Phil (Cavan) - Posts: 109 - 05/10/2016 13:21:50    1922825

Link

Replying To Dr.Phil:  "A joke that a Senior Championship match has been fixed of a Wednesday night but however,,
After the last day if I was a betting man my money would be with Athlone tonight although Shamrocks did have a few starters on the bench on Saturday,
If they can play the whole game tonight, they also need more from the likes of Kieran Gavin and Killian Daly, and not be disrupted by players having to travel distances for the match they should account for Athlone,
The Ray Connellan factor will be huge if he can start or play any longer than he did Saturday Shamrocks could be in trouble.."
County board had little option with the intermediate hurling final on this weekend and two of the Shamrocks players playing.
Both teams will need to improve on the last day if they want to win. But whoever does will be better off having had the extra game, especially when their next opponents will have been sitting around for 5 weeks.

Andy_Capp (Westmeath) - Posts: 264 - 05/10/2016 13:42:42    1922835

Link

Replying To Dr.Phil:  "A joke that a Senior Championship match has been fixed of a Wednesday night but however,,
The Ray Connellan factor will be huge if he can start or play any longer than he did Saturday Shamrocks could be in trouble.."
There is no alternative at this stage with the Leinster club championship in a couple of weeks.
This goes back to the club games being postponed the week before the Leinster final. Now we are feeling the effects of it with congestion in the fixture list.

ondeball (Westmeath) - Posts: 103 - 05/10/2016 16:47:01    1922941

Link

Are both SFC Semi finals fixed for 16th Oct and is there a provisional date for the Final?

Tightropenet (Westmeath) - Posts: 4 - 06/10/2016 16:54:17    1923391

Link

SFC Semi finals Sun 16th Oct TEG Cusack Park
TPass v Athlone @ 2pm
Lomans v Killucan @ 330pm

IFC Final Sat 15th Oct TEG Cusack Park
Rosemount v Tubberclair @ 330pm

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 680 - 06/10/2016 18:57:24    1923458

Link

Replying To BigSur:  "SFC Semi finals Sun 16th Oct TEG Cusack Park
TPass v Athlone @ 2pm
Lomans v Killucan @ 330pm

IFC Final Sat 15th Oct TEG Cusack Park
Rosemount v Tubberclair @ 330pm"
thanks for that, out of the county on the 16th, bugger!!!!!!

Tightropenet (Westmeath) - Posts: 4 - 07/10/2016 15:01:14    1923800

Link