Westmeath Forum

Senior & intermediate championship 2016

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To iarmhi919:  "Regardless of final pairings i really cant see anything other then the Flanagan cup staying where it is this year in St Lomans. Shane Dempsey back to is a huge help, kilucan have done fantastic and could trow a surprise but sadly im starting to be realistic, a Mick come on man this the same Tyrrlespass that got bet off the field by Castledaly in last years semi final?the Castledaly that should have been relegated the last 6 years in a row according to most pundits on this forum including yourself? Keep dreaming going with a town final myself even though id love to see kilucan in one tpass might beat shamrocks but that's it they will win nothing nobody will beat lomans in this years county final and that's no disrespect but its the likely outcome. Im really looking forward to these playoff games will provide the most entertaining games of this years championship"
What planet are u on. Castledaly caught t pss on the hop after a 6 week break. T pass have beaten loman in the championship the last two years. Their last 3 games they have beaten each team by more than 10 points no other team has been so dominating in the championship so far. I'm not saying they will win but they are in my view every bit as good as lomans on paper, and with a little pick that in its self is a massive achievement.

Paddyfla19 (Westmeath) - Posts: 110 - 15/09/2016 18:12:59    1914775

Link

Lomans are a different animal then they are in the group stage on the hop please ? If they were as good as your saying they would have disposed of Castledaly easily last year matter of fact Castledaly missed an open goal with one of the last plays of the game and should have won by way more were very deserving winners. Small pick ? Really ?There a big town alot bigger picks than alot of other senior teams Maryland Caulry Castledaly etc at the end of the day they haven't won a county final since what 2007? forgive me if im wrong. Tpass are still hyped up to be what they used to be a great team that legacy is long gone they are overrated and honestly it doesn't take much to get to a county final these days with the way Westmeath club football is gone compared to the standard it was at 10 years ago sadly.

iarmhi919 (Westmeath) - Posts: 216 - 15/09/2016 20:29:08    1914815

Link

Replying To iarmhi919:  "Lomans are a different animal then they are in the group stage on the hop please ? If they were as good as your saying they would have disposed of Castledaly easily last year matter of fact Castledaly missed an open goal with one of the last plays of the game and should have won by way more were very deserving winners. Small pick ? Really ?There a big town alot bigger picks than alot of other senior teams Maryland Caulry Castledaly etc at the end of the day they haven't won a county final since what 2007? forgive me if im wrong. Tpass are still hyped up to be what they used to be a great team that legacy is long gone they are overrated and honestly it doesn't take much to get to a county final these days with the way Westmeath club football is gone compared to the standard it was at 10 years ago sadly."
I'm not sure the club championship was any stronger 10 years ago. There were still poor teams in the championship then too. The county final in 2006 was a brawl with a bit of football thrown in. Killucan have a better team now than they had then, and they were a missed penalty from making the county final. Tyrrellspass did well in Leinster, but sure the current Lomans team have only been knocked out the last two times they were in it by the eventually all-Ireland champions.
I bet someone was on here in 2006 saying the standard was better in 1996.

jamsie (Westmeath) - Posts: 258 - 15/09/2016 20:46:18    1914823

Link

Replying To iarmhi919:  "Lomans are a different animal then they are in the group stage on the hop please ? If they were as good as your saying they would have disposed of Castledaly easily last year matter of fact Castledaly missed an open goal with one of the last plays of the game and should have won by way more were very deserving winners. Small pick ? Really ?There a big town alot bigger picks than alot of other senior teams Maryland Caulry Castledaly etc at the end of the day they haven't won a county final since what 2007? forgive me if im wrong. Tpass are still hyped up to be what they used to be a great team that legacy is long gone they are overrated and honestly it doesn't take much to get to a county final these days with the way Westmeath club football is gone compared to the standard it was at 10 years ago sadly."
If it doesn't take much to make a county final then how have only 5 clubs managed to do it in the last 10 years?

Andy_Capp (Westmeath) - Posts: 264 - 15/09/2016 20:53:55    1914828

Link

yes dote u are doting . it certainly wont be a town final . st lomans are on paper the best team in the county but have no where near the fighting spirit of killucan . shams have to get over athlone and we will beat either of them . it would kill all yee townies if 2 small areas like us and killucan get to the final but im convinced it will happen with the boys in blue and navy lifting the flanagan cup and i assure u im far from cracked

mickcunningham (Westmeath) - Posts: 1231 - 16/09/2016 12:50:03    1915054

Link

Replying To mickcunningham:  "yes dote u are doting . it certainly wont be a town final . st lomans are on paper the best team in the county but have no where near the fighting spirit of killucan . shams have to get over athlone and we will beat either of them . it would kill all yee townies if 2 small areas like us and killucan get to the final but im convinced it will happen with the boys in blue and navy lifting the flanagan cup and i assure u im far from cracked"
Tpass have big pick. Players from rahugh to dalystown. Along with tpass itself. Killucan has the bonus of hurlers from raharney.

Mattyreilly (Westmeath) - Posts: 103 - 17/09/2016 16:06:54    1915384

Link

Replying To Mattyreilly:  "Tpass have big pick. Players from rahugh to dalystown. Along with tpass itself. Killucan has the bonus of hurlers from raharney."
There is about 30 children in total in rahugh school. Big pick alright. Don't think there is to many on the team from there. Good example though.

Paddyfla19 (Westmeath) - Posts: 110 - 17/09/2016 17:41:50    1915396

Link

What do you mean Killucan have the bonus of the hurlers from Raharney? They are all the one parish. The same could be said for Shamrocks and Plunketts? Lomans and The Downs and Clonkill? Athlone and Southern Gaels? How is it an advantage?

Chops (Westmeath) - Posts: 775 - 19/09/2016 18:27:07    1916531

Link

Replying To Chops:  "What do you mean Killucan have the bonus of the hurlers from Raharney? They are all the one parish. The same could be said for Shamrocks and Plunketts? Lomans and The Downs and Clonkill? Athlone and Southern Gaels? How is it an advantage?"
They are from the same parish. All that was said in previous messages that tpass and killucan had a small pick. Just making the point that they have a nice pick. The likes of baile ui chumaoil st josephs and loughnavalley are example of clubs that have small picks. Killucan and tpass i presume should up on 27 lads at training ?

Mattyreilly (Westmeath) - Posts: 103 - 20/09/2016 00:13:59    1916705

Link

Replying To Mattyreilly:  "They are from the same parish. All that was said in previous messages that tpass and killucan had a small pick. Just making the point that they have a nice pick. The likes of baile ui chumaoil st josephs and loughnavalley are example of clubs that have small picks. Killucan and tpass i presume should up on 27 lads at training ?"
I'd imagine its a complete nightmare for Johnny Greville and Eammon Gallagher having Killucan and Raharney in semi. Trying to organise training, worried about injuries. It looks good from the outside but I'd imagine difficult to juggle.

Chops (Westmeath) - Posts: 775 - 20/09/2016 07:53:57    1916730

Link

Does anyone know where and when the relegation playoffs are on? As usual the Westmeath GAA website doesn't seem to mention them.

iarmhi_an_mhaith (Westmeath) - Posts: 232 - 20/09/2016 11:22:01    1916819

Link

Replying To Mattyreilly:  "They are from the same parish. All that was said in previous messages that tpass and killucan had a small pick. Just making the point that they have a nice pick. The likes of baile ui chumaoil st josephs and loughnavalley are example of clubs that have small picks. Killucan and tpass i presume should up on 27 lads at training ?"
People getting hung up on area and big picks. parish etc. yes everybody will say baile ui chumaoil and loughnavalley are example of clubs that have small picks. especially number wise and especially at underage you could throw in milltownpass and miltown and castledaly.
yet these last 3 are fairly strong at adult level. st josephs has underage base of one national school of about 120 children and maybe a few kids from horseleap. kilbeggan national school of about 240 children. tpass national school base of around 120 and rahugh of 30.

dalystown seems to be a equal split of ballinagore , st marys and tpass and the few that travel out from mullingar.

the problems seems to be that some clubs are better than others at keeping kids playing longer and keeping them playing to their adult.

madbull (Westmeath) - Posts: 191 - 20/09/2016 11:51:17    1916837

Link

Replying To iarmhi_an_mhaith:  "Does anyone know where and when the relegation playoffs are on? As usual the Westmeath GAA website doesn't seem to mention them."
Bal vs ballymore relagation playoff is in kineagad at 7:30 this friday evening. Dont about the senior

Mattyreilly (Westmeath) - Posts: 103 - 20/09/2016 15:13:33    1916972

Link

Replying To madbull:  "People getting hung up on area and big picks. parish etc. yes everybody will say baile ui chumaoil and loughnavalley are example of clubs that have small picks. especially number wise and especially at underage you could throw in milltownpass and miltown and castledaly.
yet these last 3 are fairly strong at adult level. st josephs has underage base of one national school of about 120 children and maybe a few kids from horseleap. kilbeggan national school of about 240 children. tpass national school base of around 120 and rahugh of 30.

dalystown seems to be a equal split of ballinagore , st marys and tpass and the few that travel out from mullingar.

the problems seems to be that some clubs are better than others at keeping kids playing longer and keeping them playing to their adult."
totally agree but country teams are better at keeping players than the 2 big town teams, I remember a few years ago the young lad was told not to bother coming to underage training cause there was enough numbers and both town teams were struggling for numbers at training this year. You reap what you sow.

haveapint (Westmeath) - Posts: 1 - 20/09/2016 15:29:24    1916984

Link

Thoughts on this weekend folks?

Ballynacargy should have too much for Ballymore in the Inter relegation match.
Maryland & Malachy's will be tight but I'd expect Maryland's county players to make the difference & just shade it.
Garrycastle had a massive win over Castledaly so would certainly expect a similar result against Downs
CFCW should have too much for Kilbeggan & return to Intermediate ranks

Left Full (Westmeath) - Posts: 178 - 21/09/2016 10:14:21    1917326

Link

I would think Ballnacaragy, Malachys, Garrycastle and CFCW to win over the weekend. Only tight game will be the SFC playoff IMO, can see the other 3 winning comfortably

Anyone know if the dates of the Senior and Inter finals have been confirmed yet?

martyW (Westmeath) - Posts: 251 - 21/09/2016 11:23:44    1917374

Link

Senior final is the bank holiday weekend in October, not sure when the Inter final is

Left Full (Westmeath) - Posts: 178 - 21/09/2016 11:57:32    1917394

Link

You can't beat the short notice given by the county board. Ballymore vs Ballynacarrigy is in Tubberclair Friday night in Tubberclair while Maryland vs St Malachys is after it at 8:30. Should make for an entertaining evening with a big crowd so hopefully the weather stays fine. That is of course if spectators don't head to Kinnegad for the intermediate game or wait until Saturday for the Senior game seeing as it appears the county board are depending on word of mouth to let people know. All the local papers have the original fixtures and I wouldn't hold my breath on the website being updated.

LakemenAbu (Westmeath) - Posts: 134 - 21/09/2016 19:40:42    1917664

Link

Ah, double headers. Great excuse to charge extra into games!
Don't see why the two relegation games are on together on same evening?

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1749 - 21/09/2016 22:48:03    1917773

Link

€15 to get in to Cusack Park today. A double header I suppose but you have to feel for The Downs supporters after a such a poor performance.
The Downs made Garrycastle look very good but not sure if they will trouble St Loman's next week.
What they do have is lots of pace and they have the momentum but I can't see anything but a win for Luke Dempsey's side.
Athlone v Shamrocks will be close for a while but I'd expect the Mullingar side to prevail.

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 680 - 25/09/2016 22:25:26    1919048

Link