UK Forum

All Britain Junior Football Championship 2014

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I watched the London Herts game yesterday, not a bad standard of football although London won a very one sided game, if they had put proper resources into it then would have walked that championship, London need to have a thorough review of the junior team or withdraw.. the players are there.. the competition just needs to be taken seriously...

Cilldara2012 (UK) - Posts: 88 - 16/06/2014 13:42:54    1604489

Link

I was at the game on Saturday.

What a shambles the county set up has become. The county board either need to withdraw from the competition or get rid of the management team. Where were the footballers from the clubs who helped win the last four All Britain's. The reason these lads don't want to play for the county is because of the county management, or am I being too harsh and there may be other reasons.

Personally I think they should withdraw and run some senior league or championship games in June. The distraction of a mickey mouse competition is to the detriment of football in the county. Especially if there is no senior football in the county because the county board want to field what is a pretty weak junior side in the All Britain. Either show the competition some respect and get all clubs involved or just withdraw. The choice is a no brainer for me.

What is the benefit for the county if they win the All Britain? A chance to get hammered by a junior county team in Ireland in August.

Mayo4Sam05 (Mayo) - Posts: 6 - 17/06/2014 08:16:40    1604813

Link

mayo4sam as a former lancs player it was sad to see what happened on saturday no more than a team thrown together over the last few weeks

if the fixtures are to be put aside for this there has to be full commitment from all clubs and set training to give the panel a chance to do themselves justice

its not just in lancashire that this is the case tho, something for provincial to think about as it doesnt work right now, should it really have a back door? 8 teams quarter finals based on seedings, losing quarter finals into a plate competition, semis anf finals, done in 3 weekends start in may final in june and AI in july minimum disruption to senior fixtures

UniGaa (National) - Posts: 694 - 17/06/2014 12:25:43    1604965

Link

It's always very easy to criticise on here…

Overall, every county needs to be held accountable for this competition but next year BPC should:

1. Fine those counties who don't field in this competition (to be agreed at BPC AGM) OR
2. Remove the back door format to prevent teams not fielding

As for Lancashire, it's very easy to criticise management. But I do believe there wasn't anyone else prepared to commit to 6/7 hours every Sunday for 4/5 weeks... I wonder why... Its simple the best players were not available for one reason or another...

I know politics with one club prevented a couple of really good players joining the squad.

But I do wonder has our fixture list created the illusion that June is a month off now for senior players…?

Or are certain clubs less willing to encourage their best players to get involved as there are now championship games approaching in July? (worried about injuries to key players)

lancsgael1 (UK) - Posts: 13 - 17/06/2014 15:50:05    1605136

Link

when are lads supposed to take holidays then? its a long summer and if there are no club games in June lads will book holidays, i dont think many would give a damn about playing for the county teams in what is a Junior competition!

The general opinion is "sure if im around ill play"

competition should be scrapped!

hawkeye82 (Kerry) - Posts: 202 - 17/06/2014 16:35:54    1605174

Link

Yeah - let's scrap the competition hawkeye, then listen to hypothetical tripe every year about Yorkshire being better than Hertfordshire or Lancashire being better than London. Say what you like about the format but generally the county with the best footballers in that year will win it.

gael2000 (Mayo) - Posts: 81 - 17/06/2014 17:10:17    1605203

Link

Uppercusack - So the structure of the competition is so important that it must be played over a number of Sundays so the winners are eligible to play in the AI Series, yet they can adjust the rules to accomodate shipping in another county from a different country to play in the competition and its no problem. What a farce if Kilkenny win this competition and end up playing the Leinster champions in the semi final. Something radical has to be done to make this competiton worthwhile, at the minute players dont want to give up every single sunday in June traveling the length and bredth of the country to play in a competition that holds very little value for them. A one weekend, sigerson style competition is the only way forward.

Gael2000 - I'd be fairly sure that there wouldn't be pages of debate as to whether Yorkshire were better than Hertfordshire of we scrapped the competition and if there was then it would show that maybe there is an appetite for the competition.

HospitalBall (UK) - Posts: 79 - 18/06/2014 12:15:09    1605472

Link

UniGAA- I'm still laughing that you think Lancashire would give London a game, yer some buck. I'd like to know what U21's from tier 1 counties Lancashire have? In fairness as others have suggested if Lancashire got their best team out they'd walk the Junior All Britain and would stand a decent chance of winning an All Ireland.
Cappakee is another one in dreamland, hasn't a clue. Think was it last year or the year before you were offended that someone suggested your team didn't have a chance in the club championship. Think your lot ended up getting a drubbing of about 30 points.

As for this year it sounds like that Warks are taking it very seriously and will be hard to beat.

BigTom2050 (Tipperary) - Posts: 289 - 18/06/2014 12:22:03    1605478

Link

There's 8 teams in it so go back to a quarter final and no backdoor. Leave it played over 3 weekends, don't play it over consecutive weekends either as its clearly not working.

Quarter final late May, semi final mid June and the final in mid July.

BigTom2050 (Tipperary) - Posts: 289 - 18/06/2014 12:28:10    1605481

Link

Tom your spot on, this format with playing every Sunday for 3 weeks does not work as it's different line ups each week for teams, if it was spread out over a couple of months players would be interested and straight knockout is the ans not this back door crap as teams would try and put there best team out first day.

knowtherules (UK) - Posts: 181 - 18/06/2014 12:48:47    1605489

Link

@bigtom i have seen the last 3 lancs games and nowhere near the team they could have had out, i would say lucky to see 40% of the team v kk if everyone made themselves available, the london debate is for another day

yorkshire put 2 different teams out back to back and were also under strength

scotland are a side made up from dunedin plus 2 from tch no dundee or glasgow gaels

at least we agree on the format

as for this years final i will go for scotland v warwickshire with scotland to shade it

UniGaa (National) - Posts: 694 - 18/06/2014 13:20:24    1605515

Link

Your all in dreamland, this competition is a joke! bringing KK into an ALL BRITAIN competition was the last straw, i can see the brains behind this sitting there going "lets bring in KK, they know nothing about football so will have no hope of winning but will keep the competition interesting" i hope they do win it to emphasise what a joke this is!

The clubs are the ones who suffer-

No competitive games leading up to the business end of the year (championship)
Purse strings for most counties are tight as it is yet they will pay out fortunes getting fellas up and down the country

I Suppose by the amount of muck people are talking about the competition on here people feel its a benefit to their counties (i can't see how), when i was over there our clubs feelings at the time was "if you want to go play in that micky mouse cup, join another team" suppose maybe that's why we won more respected trophies!

hawkeye82 (Kerry) - Posts: 202 - 18/06/2014 13:38:09    1605528

Link

Well then hawkeye it's the attitudes of clubs such as yours that has resulted in the competition ending up the way it is. Regardless, I suspect you are the kind of person to moan about everything and do little about anything. Every club has them.

gael2000 (Mayo) - Posts: 81 - 18/06/2014 15:31:15    1605615

Link

What am i supposed to be moaning about gael2000? im just voicing my opinion on this competition!

im not the one on here moaning about how the competition should be played, should there be a back door bla bla bla! if your that bothered you get up and do something about it, if you talk as well as you can type then im sure your county board would be delighted to hear from you!

If i thought something offered a club or county anything positive then id be the first to pipe up and give my views so dont be banging on about what i did in my club! every club has one, dont be annoying me!

hawkeye82 (Kerry) - Posts: 202 - 18/06/2014 16:04:30    1605634

Link

Hospitalball- "So the structure of the competition is so important that it must be played over a number of Sundays so the winners are eligible to play in the AI Series" correct this how a championship competition must be ran

"yet they can adjust the rules to accomodate shipping in another county from a different country to play in the competition and its no problem" incorrect

(a) the rules have not been changed, the number of participants has. By way of example if Lancashire had have won the All Ireland Junior last year they wouldn't be entitled to play in the Junior championship this year (unless regarded by Central Council), their exclusion would not have been down to any rule change, but rather because of their grading; and

(b) You make the mistake to assume that in GAA terms Ireland is a separate country from those which make up the GAA in Briitain.

In GAA terms Britain is the fifth province of Ireland and therefore the suggestion that Kilkenny has been shipped in from another country is wrong. Britain is part of Ireland for GAA purposes.

In the same way that London takes part in the Connaught Championship, Kilkenny are permitted to take part in the British Championship. No rules have been changed.

"What a farce if Kilkenny win this competition and end up playing the Leinster champions in the semi final." - there is no farce.

Kilkenny were getting hammered by Junior Championship teams in Leinster up to three years ago. Their panel would train as any other county panel to get one game before being badly beaten.

To help promote football in Kilkenny, they asked to be placed in the Britiish Championship to give their team more competitive games as their level. Britain agreed to this much in the same way that Leinster accommodated Antrim in the hurling in the late 1980s. Kilkenny played last year and faired out ok, you weren't up in arms last year. This year they are better than last year as they have benefited from last years games, proof that this is helping Kilkenny football, but now you take exception to this.

If Kilkenny win the British championship they will be British Provincial Champions, them being a British team, not a Leinster team. Just in the same way that London would be (and were on three occassions) Connaught champions.

You are again confusing Geographical Counties and Provinces with GAA Counties and Provinces.

"Something radical has to be done to make this competiton worthwhile, at the minute players dont want to give up every single sunday in June traveling the length and bredth of the country to play in a competition that holds very little value for them. A one weekend, sigerson style competition is the only way forward." Incorrect

We return to the point I made, for this to be a championship it can't be a sigerson as you suggest.

If as you say the competition means nothing to those taking part, why take part. I rather suspect you are wrong to say it means nothing to them.

The competition is the highest competition at county level that many here will ever get to play.

If you think the competition is not worthwhile then don't take part, no one is forcing you and better still do not comment on something you think is not worthwhile.

Uppercusack (UK) - Posts: 16 - 19/06/2014 13:37:03    1606002

Link

uppercusack why cant this be done on a sigerson basis?

surely the CCC can decide this prior to the competition beginning as per rule

our colleges competitions feed into the all ireland series also and we have changed the format over recent years to try and improve a teams chances

so is it not up to the cc to decide how the winner is found

UniGaa (National) - Posts: 694 - 19/06/2014 15:33:19    1606091

Link

Unigaa - "why cant this be done on a sigerson basis?"

I repeat for the third time now (and for the same reasons I explained to Carnaros and Hospitalpass; because to play this competition as you suggest it will not comply with the rules and regulations of championship, sigerson is a tournament, the rules for that are very different.

"surely the CCC can decide this prior to the competition beginning as per rule"

yes, but only if they wanted to run a singerson style intercounty tournament. It still wouldnt be a championship.

"our colleges competitions feed into the all ireland series also and we have changed the format over recent years to try and improve a teams chances"

The Trench Cup is a tournament, it is not a championship. The CA is neither a county or province and so they do not have the power to run a championship. By way of example a club can not take part in more than one championship. UCC play in the CA's competition (a tournament) and they take part in the Munster championship (a championship). What you talk about with regard to the unis is different to what the Junior Championship is about.

Uppercusack (UK) - Posts: 16 - 19/06/2014 21:43:04    1606261

Link

i disagree uppercusack

sigerson is the all ireland colleges championship the trench is the intermediate etc etc CA is in essence the mirror of the GAA and like clubs britain is classified as 5th province

rather than debate on rule, the debate should be is how to sort out what used to be a good championship

UniGaa (National) - Posts: 694 - 20/06/2014 09:28:55    1606294

Link

Unigaa - You nonchalantly say you "disagree" without putting forward reasoned arguments why you disagree; much in the same way as you said previously "as per rule" without referring to the rule (the reason being that non existed to support what you were saying).

I have put forward correct reasons and referred to examples as to why that which is being suggested simply can not take place or that said is wrong.

"sigerson is the all ireland colleges championship the trench is the intermediate etc etc" - you can call it what you want, it is a Tournament not a Championship within the rules of the GAA.

"CA is in essence the mirror of the GAA and like clubs britain is classified as 5th province" - Utter nonsense.

CA is a a committee of Central Council, it has no provincial status at all Rule 3.56 page 55 http://www.gaa.ie/content/documents/Official%20Guide%202014%20Part%20I(1).pdf

The CA's competitions are ran as per the official guide and the sigerson, fitzgibbon, ternch etc are all tournaments, they are not championships and the CA is most certainly not a province.

Uppercusack (UK) - Posts: 16 - 20/06/2014 10:12:19    1606323

Link

upper cusack at least i dont hide behind a nickname on here

CA exec is formed of 5 provincial council reps Ulster Munster Leinster Connacht and Britain, has a rep from management a chair, vice chair, secretary treasurer and pro, in effect its own central council, also will a delegate to the main central council and coiste bainisti

CA also has grading structures as in intermediate, senior etc, run their own provincial championships in different grades and codes

so rather than being picky whats your solution to reviving the provincial championship of britain

UniGaa (National) - Posts: 694 - 20/06/2014 10:30:12    1606336

Link