UK Forum

All Britain Junior Football Championship 2014

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Yorkshire 2-21 Lancashire 4-10

Also heard London didnt travel to face Scotland

UniGaa (National) - Posts: 694 - 01/06/2014 17:55:32    1596327

Link

According to London twitter they now play Kilkenny next Sunday so that leaves Lancashire v the losers of today's game in Bristol between herts and glos

UniGaa (National) - Posts: 694 - 01/06/2014 20:02:25    1596422

Link

Front door
Yorkshire v Scotland
Gloucestershire v back door winner

Back door
London v Kilkenny
Lancashire v Hertfordshire

Don't know anything about dates/times/venues. I'm guessing that the winners of the two back door games will meet for the right to play in the semi final v Gloucestershire?

tiempo (UK) - Posts: 16 - 01/06/2014 20:11:54    1596428

Link

london v kk is for ruislip next sunday at 2pm

presume lancs v herts will be pnh if the half way rule is in play

UniGaa (National) - Posts: 694 - 01/06/2014 20:59:33    1596471

Link

Highly unlikely Herts will play Lancs next week. No manager or players.

daskip89 (Galway) - Posts: 234 - 01/06/2014 21:23:14    1596480

Link

Tiempo, I think you are forgetting about Warwickshire there. As far as I'm aware the draw will be in the front door section;Yorks v Scots and Glous v Warwickshire and the winners of each go straight into the semi final. The losers will join the back door section and play the winners of Lancs v Herts and KK v London. The winners of that will rejoin the front door teams in the semi final and the losers play in some sort of shield final I think.

HospitalBall (UK) - Posts: 79 - 01/06/2014 21:53:16    1596498

Link

Oh yeah forgot about Warwickshire. So Herts with no players, London not travelling to play Scotland in Manchester, and a format that boggles the mind. Can this tournament be re-vamped in order to make it a more attractive proposition for players? Is it the travelling that is putting people off? Congratulations to Yorkshire on a great win, great confidence boost going into the next round.

tiempo (UK) - Posts: 16 - 02/06/2014 12:21:39    1596665

Link

I've said before that this competition should be run like a Sigerson cup type event staged in different counties each year. Players then know exactly when it is and if they are available, management can pick a squad and know that is who they will have for all the matches in the competition and finally it makes the travelling worthwhile if you are going to play a few games and stay over night. Alternatively, just play the semi final and final during a set weekend if having all teams attending is too big an undertaking.

HospitalBall (UK) - Posts: 79 - 02/06/2014 14:38:26    1596785

Link

I know the competition isnt taking seriously in London and its a matter of rounding up players who are available on the day. Theres no interest and something needs to be done about it. I recall the board down here thinking of entering a team consisting of local born players but I dont know whatever came of that. That sounded a good way to give the competition a boost and promote development.

fancyaride (Mayo) - Posts: 141 - 02/06/2014 15:25:36    1596825

Link

Big shock for Yorkshire beating Lancashire on Sunday. Anybody at the game??. Where Lancashire at full strength. Very high scoring game indeed. Good to see a shock good boost for the game in Yorkshire.

IN_THRU (Donegal) - Posts: 20 - 02/06/2014 16:27:57    1596880

Link

Both teams were missing a few from what I heard. Yorkshire were very good with some great scores throughout. The game was level at half-time after Yorkshire had been ahead 1-08 to 2pts before Lancashire came back with 2-04 to lead by one just before Yorkshire equalized. The second half was almost completely one-way traffic except for the last 6/7 minutes when Lancashire scored two late goals. Good to see five Yorkshire clubs represented. All roads now lead to Newcastle on Sunday for the game against Scotland.

Carnaross (None) - Posts: 189 - 02/06/2014 16:53:19    1596897

Link

lancs v herts sunday PNH at 3
scotland v yorks sunday 2pm in newcastle

yorkshire were good value for there win sunday but let lancs back in a couple of times to narrow the gap down

UniGaa (National) - Posts: 694 - 03/06/2014 13:39:07    1597279

Link

Don't think there's too much appetite in Lancashire for this competition. They had to call off a junior fixture on Sunday morning and send these lads to play for the county team to ensure they could field

Patrick, Paul and John (None) - Posts: 81 - 03/06/2014 19:44:34    1597567

Link

What junior fixture was cancelled? Which teams were involved?

HospitalBall (UK) - Posts: 79 - 03/06/2014 20:25:56    1597591

Link

I can assure you Lancashire still have the appetite. What team wouldn't want to go for 5 in a row

There was more or less a full squad missing due to the fact that there is no senior games in the county and a lot of players are away and some are injured.

There were roughly 4-6 players missing from Mitchells.

5-7 from Peters

4-6 from Brendans

Oisins haven't bothered with the county for the last year or two which is disappointing as there is 5-6 players from there current squad who would be great additions to the county.

The Lancs team that travelled to Yorkshire were at no where near full strength. Take nothing away from Yorkshire, they were the better team and the only county to beat Lancashire since 2010 in the All Britain comp.

I would imagine the Lancs team will be totally different ahead of the game v Herts this weekend

tribesman_10 (Galway) - Posts: 96 - 04/06/2014 13:28:08    1597881

Link

tribesman

In your opinion what would be Lancashire's best 15?

BigTom2050 (Tipperary) - Posts: 289 - 04/06/2014 14:12:31    1597929

Link

There is no senior games in Lancashire in June to accomodate the county team - its not a reason why they are missing players. All teams in this competition are missing players who would add to their squads - including Yorkshire.

HospitalBall (UK) - Posts: 79 - 04/06/2014 14:13:36    1597931

Link

a line needs to be drawn in the sand in lancashire, I am only back in the county after a few years away, its sad that all clubs dont participate, maybe some sort of sanction or structure changes might be needed to get this sorted, Lancashire outside of London have far and away the best pick of talent available

I have gone on record here before and will say so again, if lancashire put the same effort in training and had the same backing as london seniors their wouldnt be too much between if every club made their players available.

UniGaa (National) - Posts: 694 - 04/06/2014 14:57:19    1597976

Link

UniGaa... No Chance. Are you telling me that Lancashire's best available squad with some extra backing would beat the likes of Leitrim's senior team and push the likes of Mayo and Sligo every couple of years?
Don't be daft.
Lancashire are very strong for the level they are playing at and they have been impressively dominant, however they were soundly beaten by Mayo's junior team last year. I think that put's your claim into perspective.
Just my humble opinion by the way.

Onyershoulder (UK) - Posts: 17 - 04/06/2014 15:24:58    1598011

Link

I heard it was Oisins v Mitchels which was called off. It only got called off on the morning of the game because Lancashire hadn't the numbers to field for whatever reason. So they apparently drafted in the services of the Mitchels junior players to make up the numbers.

@tribesman_10 apparently the reason there have been no Oisins players on the Lancashire squad in a couple of seasons is because the Oisins lads had a bit of a falling out with the Peters management. The last Oisins players I remember playing for the county were Damien Fitzpatrick and Richie Coss probably in 2012. You're right though it's a shame as there are a number of players on the squad who would be a big boost to the squad.

@UniGaa I think you have a point. A shake up needs to happen in the county. I don't think clubs want to make the effort to be honest. A shame but a fact of life. I think the county board need to incentivise playing for the county. An email to clubs asking them to send 4 or 5 players to county matches lacks a bit of the personal touch required.

@BigTom2050 my strongest (consistently strong) 15 or so in Lancashire (going on previous seasons, league and championship game I've seen or been involved in etc) would be; starting with the keeper and moving up (I doubt correct positions will match) Declan Alder, Damien Fitzpatrick, Dom Glennon, Jimmy Quinn, Rory ? (Oisins player), Marty Carey, Paddy Mulligan, ? Donnelly (Oisins player), Sandsy, Richie Coss, Shane McGahan, Dessie O'Malley, Michael Molloy, Lorcan ? (Mitchels player), Lee Gavin. On the fringes then would be Willy Ahern (hasn't been playing consistently as Ann's are no longer a senior team) and a few of the young fellas on the Brendans squad too.

Any games in the county this weekend?

Mayo4Sam05 (Mayo) - Posts: 6 - 04/06/2014 15:43:33    1598034

Link