UK Forum

London senior hurling championship

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Lads lets be honest about it here ALL hurling clubs have flyers at one stage or another, some of the football teams are probably at it aswell. The only way it will be stopped is if the county board actually enforces its own rules and does it in a fair, honest and transparent way... The ones that really lose out are the players that are on the frindges of starting and then this random lad from Tipp/Cork/Kilkenny/Wherever rocks up straight from the airport and plays!

Last year in senior, and please correct me if I'm wrong but only Gabriels and Fulham (before they were relegated) were the only clubs to not have illegal players during championship... And after saying that Gabriels B team had an illegal player all be it on a technicality but it still caused no inter final to be staged.

In relation to the final Kilburn should walk it but who knows they still have to go out and win it and Traceys having been putting in a big effort to get where they!
What are people's opinions on how far they might go in an All Ireland series?

chanceit (UK) - Posts: 38 - 15/08/2014 15:56:51    1637329

Link

Chanceit you should change your name to Chancer. Gabriel's were not clean from this last year and there's no way Fulham Irish were clean either. The year they came up they had lads over from Kilkenny and Tipp for the intermediate final. Pearses had illegal players playing in the County final too and Treacy's will be loaded for the final this year aswel.

The County board have only themselves to blame and I wouldn't blame the clubs at all. Clubs think they have picked up 4 or 5 players who all head in with London and then as soon as London finishes they transfer back to their home clubs and the clubs here are then forced to do what they can to stay up. The County's decision to play Liam McCarthy has set London club hurling back ten years from playing lads they knew full well weren't going to play for their clubs.

No team should go down this year and they should maybe have both intermediate finalists come up and have 8 teams in senior. Try it out for a couple of years and see how it goes. There is absolutely no benefit to either Murphy's or Emmett's going down to Intermediate. It's now time for the County Board members to get it sorted.

informed (UK) - Posts: 14 - 16/08/2014 09:55:12    1637504

Link

informed

Where ever your getting your information about Fulham when we went up intermediate then it's wrong. We had the same squad bar 2 or 3 players for the first 2 years. All I'D's and all legal. Let's say your "misinformed".

therubes (Cork) - Posts: 95 - 16/08/2014 17:01:29    1637670

Link

Informed, i agree with therubes the year they won it they were clean but not clean last year playing senior, maybe in a few games but not all. And why should murphys stay up? they lost relegation play off so down they go.

yablind (UK) - Posts: 11 - 16/08/2014 18:06:15    1637692

Link

Ah here lads give over. I was at the match and know one of the fellas personally and even spoke to him after the match. I'm not saying anything about Fulham just don't be trying to tell me what I already know.

informed (UK) - Posts: 14 - 17/08/2014 14:21:22    1637845

Link

yablind I think the point that was trying to be made is that it would be better if the whole thing was restructured at senior so there would be up to 8 teams in senior hurling, therefore not to relegate anyone and let the inter finalists (cuchail and Mac Curtains) both come up!
It's never going to happen anyways as the county board are too short sighted...

Informed to be honest buddy I think you're a bit off the mark there with the Fulham thing! They basically have the same lads since the club started... If anything they have lost more lads to the Alex or New Zealand rather than new signings and they don't do illegal players!

chanceit (UK) - Posts: 38 - 18/08/2014 08:54:08    1638154

Link

so I see Father Murphy's are dropping their claim that Robert Emmetts fielded an illegal player - I reckon that they have realised that they were wrong in the first place, an apology to the Robert Emmetts should be forthcoming and retractions from allegations made in newspapers and other media sources should also be made, the integrity of the Robert Emmetts club was questioned, which was not nice to see.

willywonka (USA) - Posts: 50 - 21/08/2014 13:46:30    1639919

Link

I don't think having no relegation and having the two Inter finalists promoted will add hurling. It just means some of the big boys will have to up their game, relegation is there to ensure all teams try hard in every game. The more teams you have in senior the more you will dilute the quality. Also there is the chance that the teams promoted will lose players and won't be able to compete at senior and will end with there being a number of walkovers.
Also you will greatly weaken the Intermediate championship by taking out two strong teams, from what I have seen at Inter this year most games have been played and the competition has been good. If Murphys are good enough they will bounce back next year.

Rosineri1 (UK) - Posts: 1944 - 22/08/2014 17:36:02    1640614

Link

The intern and senior finals are fixed for this Sat according to the London website.
Mac Curtains to edge it in the inter and Kilburn to win easily enough in the senior.

chanceit (UK) - Posts: 38 - 27/08/2014 10:36:56    1642821

Link

Received an email from a club delegate regarding a special hurling meeting tomorrow night in Ruislip. I have to head out there, I wonder what will be on the agenda? County team? Format of league and championship? Referees? What can I expect from it all? Probably a headache and a sense of being none the wiser post meeting?

Deadwood (Limerick) - Posts: 55 - 07/10/2014 15:15:56    1661109

Link

There was a similar meeting for football last week. No idea what the outcome was

WideBall1 (UK) - Posts: 97 - 07/10/2014 16:27:54    1661133

Link

I assume all clubs have been invited to vent their frustration?

custopper (Cork) - Posts: 26 - 07/10/2014 17:17:10    1661155

Link

i think some part of it will be of the format regarding next years championship, number of teams etc. i know the fr murphys want to stay up, think it would be better if they do, 7 is a better number anyway , so 1 would go stright down and then the remaining 6 play off

d_jingler (Sligo) - Posts: 45 - 08/10/2014 13:58:45    1661452

Link

murphys to stay up would be a good idea and the following year also so there could be 8 teams in sneior which would be better for hurling in london for obvious reasons.

one other point would be to somehow encourage more teams to start up at intermediate and remove the b temas from gabriels, kilburn, traceys etc.. the b teams dont really serve any purpose and would be better if other teams started up eg michael cusacks etc...

chanceit (UK) - Posts: 38 - 08/10/2014 16:18:09    1661523

Link

Should be an approach to try get Saint Declans from Hertfordshire in to London Intermediate.

daskip89 (Galway) - Posts: 234 - 08/10/2014 16:48:15    1661545

Link

Anybody go to this meeting last night? Was there any agreement on format of competitions next year?

ArAisAris (UK) - Posts: 39 - 09/10/2014 17:39:37    1661933

Link

I was present at the meeting, it was a couple of weeks ago and my memory isn't the best but this is what I remember of it.
I didn't really see the point in having this meeting, not much was agreed and the reason for this is certain things have to be passed first.
Each club had their turn to talk, put forward motions or ideas or things they were not happy about over the course of this year.
Referees seemed to be one thing everyone agreed on. The standard in London is poor and all clubs agreed on that. The board members stated that there simply weren't enough referees and that we need more members from the clubs to step forward to share the burden, this will hopefully improve the standard.
No format was agreed on league or championship but a few formats were discussed. Agreement was based on whether or not Fr. Murphy's appeal to stay up is successful. No team objected to their appeal on the night with many vocal in support for them staying up. The powers that be confirmed this had to go to a meeting to be held at a later date.
With a 7-team senior championship, last years format would work perfectly and there were a few ways they could do it. I think these two were mentioned - All to play each other once - Top two into semi-final, next 4 play quarters and bottom relegated. Or top awaits final, next 4 play quarters and a semi and bottom two play relegation final?
For league it would be groups and top 2 into semis and possibility of promoting another to make groups even 0 two 4 team groups.
There was mention of a candidate or two being interviewed for London managerial post. I think that covered everything, please correct me on anything I may have missed or got wrong?
The London county team would be a major concern for next year, heard a lot of rumours over the weekend of some top hurlers from all teams moving on. Not only will this weaken the teams but the county team too. There doesn't seem to be as many heading over to London as there was in the last 5/6 years.

Deadwood (Limerick) - Posts: 55 - 22/10/2014 15:31:00    1666159

Link

Are all competitive matches played out in Ruislip, or do some of the clubs have the use of pitches elsewhere that conform to GAA standards?

jamesor2 (Roscommon) - Posts: 9 - 23/02/2015 12:01:01    1695923

Link

Any word when da championship is starting
Who's gone win both grades????

edshamrocks (Wexford) - Posts: 333 - 02/07/2015 13:50:06    1746473

Link

The senior will be between Kilburn Gaels and St. Gabriel's with Robert Emmett's and Brother Pearse's being the other two semi-finalists. Relegation between the CuChulainns and Sean Tracey's. Sean Tracey's are favourites to go down. Kilburn to win it again. Senior standard has dropped on recent years. A lot of walkovers in league and cup games from all sides. A lot of good hurlers have left this town.
The intermediate will be very interesting and will be between, Fulham Irish, Father Murphy's and Thomas McCurtain's. There is nothing between the three of them, they have all beaten each other this year. Murphy's would be the more experienced out of the three but it is tough to call. St. Gabriel's will be dark horses and ones to watch. I'm going to say Fulham Irish. The intermediate grade is a lot stronger than it has been over the last 5/6 years.

Deadwood (Limerick) - Posts: 55 - 16/07/2015 19:46:07    1754584

Link