UK Forum

London senior hurling championship

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Thoughts on senior champ this year? gabriels certs?? kilburn look strong...

d_jingler (Sligo) - Posts: 45 - 16/05/2014 14:06:27    1588562

Link

how's da father Murphys doin......

edshamrocks (Wexford) - Posts: 333 - 17/05/2014 10:42:58    1588824

Link

Looks like the pearses are the team to beat at the moment, seen them yesterday, got a lot of goals, emmets lot better than everyone thought they would be too, kilburn struggled against a poor Murphys team too, looks like anyone could win it!

d_jingler (Sligo) - Posts: 45 - 23/06/2014 10:26:04    1607487

Link

Ah the Pearses aren't really that good, but treacys aren't as good as what people made them out to be either. Pearses allowed get away with some dubious behaviour and antics on the field. its kilburns championship to lose.

willywonka (USA) - Posts: 50 - 23/06/2014 10:51:32    1607508

Link

I dont know, they were not very good yesterday, the murphys put it up to them for a good while, the pearses have some very quick forwards who love getting goals, they got 6 yesterday

d_jingler (Sligo) - Posts: 45 - 23/06/2014 13:59:28    1607677

Link

what way does it work.is the top team straight into da final......

edshamrocks (Wexford) - Posts: 333 - 23/06/2014 16:48:04    1607854

Link

As far as I know the two top teams go straight into the semi-finals while the other four play quarter-finals (3rd vs 6th, 4th vs. 5th). The winners go into the semi-finals and the losers into a relegation final. Seems like the championship has levelled off a good bit this year with a few curious results in every round. Unlike previous years there are a few teams who could do it. Pearses did catch the eye yesterday with all those goals. Treacy's had looked very well-balanced up until then too.

Wexican (Wexford) - Posts: 36 - 23/06/2014 17:03:34    1607873

Link

cheers wexican.see father Murphys lost again.may send over a few lol.....

edshamrocks (Wexford) - Posts: 333 - 23/06/2014 20:10:00    1607995

Link

Murphys look favourite to be relegated I reckon. Gabriel's down a few players from last year, grealish, Costello, Kelly, gaffney. Kilburn look the strongest and take your pick from the other 4 after that, should be an interesting championship.

willywonka (USA) - Posts: 50 - 23/06/2014 21:40:34    1608040

Link

The championship has been very unpredictable so far.
Emmett's upset the Gabriel's in a close game, Gabriel's looked tired and some defensive errors cost them at vital points during the game. Emmett's are slowly improving but I fear they don't have the numbers in terms of a squad to mount a serious challenge. Gabriel's are likely to bounce back and will be there in the final knockings.
Pearse's were very impressive. Their forward line seems to be the most impressive. I have to agree with a previous post, had Matty Maher refereed their game, I fear there would have been a few red cards on show. Pearse's need to concentrate on the hurling and they will be in with a shout again this year!
Although both were missing key men, Kilburn really struggled against a dogged Murphy's side. Henry Vaughan has a suspected tear to his groin. He will be a huge loss for Kilburn if true and that would surly rule him out until Semi-final stage.
In fairness, Murphy's won all the key battles through the central positions. They just lacked some quality in the lesser positions more notably in the full forward line, a killer forward with a goal in them.
Kilburn and Pearse's into the semi's with Tracey's and Gabriel's to win the quarters and Murphy's to be relegated.

Deadwood (Limerick) - Posts: 55 - 24/06/2014 08:38:43    1608058

Link

i agree deadwood, pearses forwarsds look v hot. have a feeling a few of them will see the line some day though. M

d_jingler (Sligo) - Posts: 45 - 24/06/2014 11:27:01    1608165

Link

d_jingler - Based on last weekends performance vs Kilburn, I believe the Murphy's are a match for Sean Tracey's and Robert Emmett's. With men to come back in for Murphy's I don't think they will fear anyone but they do lack a bit of quality as I mentioned previously. At the same time I don't think anyone would fear drawing the Murphy's as they're viewed as the whipping boys, after being promoted last year. Murphy's will have to try and gain something from the last two games. That will be difficult vs Pearse side who are flying and an Emmett's side boosted by their win last weekend. Don't rule anything out, it's been a championship of shocks so far. Murphy's are not relegated yet and Kilburn haven't lifted the cup - all to play for!

Deadwood (Limerick) - Posts: 55 - 24/06/2014 14:19:55    1608290

Link

cheers lads great reports

edshamrocks (Wexford) - Posts: 333 - 25/06/2014 11:08:54    1608739

Link

any reports on yesterdays games?????

d_jingler (Sligo) - Posts: 45 - 30/06/2014 11:39:35    1611385

Link

Didn't see kilburns game on Friday night but I believe they beat treacys comfortably. Emmetts beat Murphys by about 5 points and should really have beat them by 10 but just didn't put them away, Murphys look like they are definitely going to go down, haven't won a game all year. Pearses and Gabriel's played out a drawn, Gabriel's led most of game but dues to pearses to claw it back. It's looking that kilburn and pearses are straight into semis with other 4 teams into quarters, still one round to go but I don't think any results would effect who's straight into semi. Leaving Murphys aside, Emmetts, treacys or Gabriel's hard to pick 2 teams out of those 3 to go into the semis.

willywonka (USA) - Posts: 50 - 30/06/2014 13:00:31    1611496

Link

d_jingler - I saw all the games over the weekend.

Kilburn we very clinical in their disposal of Tracey's and kept the scoreboard ticking over throughout. Kilburn had a few key men back and that bit of class shone through. Tracey's did cause their full back line a few problems but Tracey's couldn't really get enough quality ball into the men inside. Kilburn again have asserted themselves as front runners.
Murphy's vs Emmett's was a good game to watch. Two sides hurled hard and fair and there really wasn't much between the two. I feel that Murphy's were unlucky not to win it, they had numerous goal chances and had they of converted two of these they could have won the game. There was one outstanding save from the Emmett's keeper. I wouldn't know the Murphy's men all that well but I did notice they were missing 3 or 4 of their regulars. Emmett's were more clinical but seemed to die in the last 15 minutes only scoring 2 points and Murphy's dominated during this period. Emmett's goals came at important time in the first half with Murphy's leading 0-7 to 0-2. The goals well worked team goals. I do feel if some of the Murphy's regular men had of been playing these would have been snuffed out. Murphy's on form are favourites to go down.
Gabriel's will feel they let this one slip, twice they were in front and twice they let Pearse's back into it. A wonder goal from Pearse's corner forward was the pick of the scores from the weekend and that was the catalyst for Pearse's to produce their comeback. It was a real rough game and had Mattie of refereed I think Gabriel's would have won on frees alone and Pearse's would have been a few men light. The stand out performers for Gabriel's were their London men while Pearse's forwards were deadly when given the service.
One thing of note this weekend is the score lines aren't lying, there is very little between any of the teams, champions and to be relegated still hangs in the balance.

Deadwood (Limerick) - Posts: 55 - 01/07/2014 15:11:05    1612164

Link

cheers deadwood excellent reporting.I see there's a break in games this weekend.r Murphys heading bk down :(

edshamrocks (Wexford) - Posts: 333 - 01/07/2014 19:59:39    1612345

Link

Interesting last round. Murphy's and Kilburn with nothing to play for. How do ye think the games will go? Kilburn to beat Emmetts tonight by 10 points. Pearses to beat Murphy's by 8/9 points and qualify for the semi-finals. Gabriel's to beat Tracey's by 6.

Deadwood (Limerick) - Posts: 55 - 10/07/2014 15:55:03    1616906

Link

ANy word on the games at the weekend?? if pearses beat the murpohys on wednesday - i think they will go through to the semis, with the league finishing like this 1. kilburn, 2 pearses 3. gabriels 4 emmets 5 treaceys 6 murphys, is that corrsect??

d_jingler (Sligo) - Posts: 45 - 14/07/2014 10:05:49    1618713

Link

Kilburn were lucky to beat Emmetts on Thursday evening and Gabriel's beat treacys handy enough, 1/4 final line ups are Gabriel's v Murphys and Emmetts v treacys, I'd fancy Gabriel's and Emmetts to win these and join kilburn and pearses in the semis.

willywonka (USA) - Posts: 50 - 14/07/2014 13:31:22    1618939

Link