UK Forum

Warwickshire 2014

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Looks like four very tight games in the top two divisions at the weekend. Great to see

John_B_Keane (UK) - Posts: 49 - 14/07/2014 10:14:17    1618722

Link

So any reports from the weekends games? Good win for last years champs , seem to have come along well since their league campaign. Think they will top Group 1 after last 2 results. Can see it ending up being

1) Mitchells
2) Macs
3) Casements
4) Barnabus
5) EGB

Can see QF's being Casements v Leicester and Barnabus v FM after recent results in Group 2 as well.

onlymessing (UK) - Posts: 62 - 14/07/2014 12:29:12    1618860

Link

Any results from the weekend?

jim23 (Clare) - Posts: 2 - 14/07/2014 13:39:16    1618946

Link

Would i be right in thinking that there is a very strong possibility of Macs not making it out of the groups this year?

FenceHopper (Galway) - Posts: 27 - 16/07/2014 11:10:15    1620107

Link

i doubt macs will be eliminated - they only lost by a point to Mitchels and were a man down so will be in the mix at the end. It looks like it could be between Go Bragh and Barnabus as to who gets relegated to B Championship.

tommy g (None) - Posts: 171 - 16/07/2014 17:52:23    1620352

Link

Good weekend of matches ahead with mitchellls looking to book their place in the sfc semi final with a victory v barnabus which will not be easy but their confidence should be high after their recent victory v macs and the word on the street is that mitchells we're missing a good few players also. Macs have a tough run in with away matches in both cov and Nottingham but you can never write the macs off with their sfc pedigree over the last 20 years,

Div 2 side of the sfc has a massive match in cov where 4 masters look to book their position in the q/final with a win against n padraig and the other match sees brendans looking to build on a good start with their win v sons of Erin last weekend at home v Mary's at pnh

Another god weekend of gaa action ahead!

Any predictions?

Harp46brum (UK) - Posts: 148 - 18/07/2014 18:50:23    1621282

Link

I hear Mitchels won easy in Nottingham and Casements overcame a strong challenge from Erin Go Bragh by 2 points. That means that Macs and casements Play for the other semi final spot on tuesday night - so should be a cracking game.Go Bragh and Barnabus fight to keep their senior championship hopes alive.

tommy g (None) - Posts: 171 - 21/07/2014 09:12:20    1622497

Link

Didn't expect Mitchell's to win so easily against Barnabas, in Nottingham especially. Thought Casements would have had it easier against EGB, to win by a late goal suggests either EGB are on the up, or Casements weren't at full strength. Does anybody know if they were missing players?

Macs v Casements should be a good game on Tuesday, but cant see Casements causing an upset. EGB v Barnabas will be a good one to watch at the weekend, too tough to call at the moment though.

TakeTheHit (UK) - Posts: 98 - 21/07/2014 11:28:38    1622658

Link

Another scalp for St Brendan's yesterday. What has happened Wolverhampton, Northampton and Leicester? The two sides up from the intermediate look like they will be in the quarter finals

John_B_Keane (UK) - Posts: 49 - 21/07/2014 15:29:07    1623064

Link

It appears that mitchells are gaining some vey good sfc form with the return of Benny McKEnna a major plus for them. I have a feeling that macs will find it very tough in Coventry and particularly if the 2 players sent off v mitchells in the last round of matches are banned. So I can see a casements win to really put the cats among the pigeons!

Div 2 sfc have a massive match ahead on Sunday next with st brendans taking on 4 masters who scored 7 goals in their victory against n padraig on Sunday. Brendan,s had a narrow victory v a very resilient st Mary's at pnh . This was an excellent match with Brendan,s young team just about coming out on top .
4 masters will start as warm favourites to win but brendan!s will be hoping for a repeat of their IFC semi final victory of last season..

Wonder what the odds are for a brendans v macs quarter final which will be rekindle memories of some famous matches between the two in years gone by?

Harp17 (UK) - Posts: 5 - 21/07/2014 18:37:36    1623310

Link

The return of a few good players for Mitchells has certainly turned their form around from a dissapointing league campaign. They seem to be favourites at the minute but still a long way to go in the extended champ this year.
Think Macs will be too strong for Casements but will be close but regardless of result both teams will still progress to the next stage of Champ, just means one of them will be playing an extra game in the QF against one of the senior B teams and could that be an advantage come September time?

Senior 2 has followed the closeness of the league campaign regards the results with St Brendans certainly being the surprise package. The game against Marys could have gone either way from watching it and have to say some very strange ref decisions certainly helped Brendans , Marys game against FM the week before according to the Post was close as well but its fine margins at champ time.
The disappointments in the champ have to be Leicester and Northampton, Northampton did well last year in Senior and it seems Leicester have continued to be not concerned by champ after a good league campaign as they were last year when they never turned up for most of the games.

Brendans v Macs certainly would be a good game but think either of the Senior 2 teams likely to be FM and St Brendans would struggle against casements / macs / barnabus but by reaching that stage they should consider that a good champ run.

onlymessing (UK) - Posts: 62 - 22/07/2014 09:33:43    1623641

Link

I totally agree with the comments made that for brendans or 4 masters to progress to the sfc quarter against one of the teams in div 1 would be a great achievement and it gives teams in the lower division a massive incentive to pit their skills against a higher class of opposition - and you never know there may be a shock or two and a div 2 side may make it into the semi finals? It certainly makes for some exciting matches ahead.

The county boards decision to revamp the sfc this year appears to be a major improvement but you have to fancy the same old top teams to progress to the sfc final (macs and mitchells) with the addition of maybe casements ?

I am predicting a very close match this evening in cov with casements shading it by 2

Harp17 (UK) - Posts: 5 - 22/07/2014 18:49:42    1624363

Link

Macs in freefall? When were they last beaten by 8 in the championship. Probaly Mcs v Casements semi now. Mcs might be up to full strength by then barring more sendings off.

macs4eva (UK) - Posts: 107 - 22/07/2014 21:14:03    1624517

Link

Two goals scored by casement's Massey appear to be the main difference in this evenings sfc clash in Coventry . This results leaves the top of the sfc table as mitchells(jm)3 wins out of 3 casements(rc) 2 wins out of 3 macs 1 /3 which puts jm and rc in the driving seat to progress into the semi finals

The quarter finals are looking like a combo between macs/egb v brendans/masters

On the sfc new format does anybody know what happens if 3 teams finish on the same number of points at the end of the group of matches at the top of the table as what might happen in div 2 where brendans masters and n padraig could still all end up with 3 wins?

Harp17 (UK) - Posts: 5 - 22/07/2014 21:49:27    1624549

Link

Not sure of what bye laws exist in Warwickshire but the directive from GAA HQ to all counties is that is two teams finish level on points then the head to head meetings between those teams is used to determine placings, if three or more teams are level on points then it comes down to scoring difference - but I think there was a walkover given by St Mary's to either Leicester or Four Masters so I don't think that can be applied so in all likelihood there would be a three way play off

John_B_Keane (UK) - Posts: 49 - 23/07/2014 08:26:17    1624575

Link

Macs will have no players left at this rate, shocking state of affairs

Lethal (Derry) - Posts: 281 - 23/07/2014 12:59:38    1624747

Link

Good win for Casements then , thought Macs would edge it but fair play to Casements especially to win by such a margin.

So any reports from last nights game?

Think that leaves it to be Mitchells and Casements will end up either side of the semi Final draw and can see it panning out Macs finishing 3rd and Barnabus 4th in Div 1 ....
Macs v Brendans and Barnabus v FM in the QF's

Would mean Macs could get chance for revenge against Casements in one semi and Mitchells and Barnabus in the other unless a div 2 team can pull a big win out....

onlymessing (UK) - Posts: 62 - 23/07/2014 15:01:23    1624825

Link

Some good attacking performances from Keogh and co last night for casements, but the outstanding player for me was young o'sullivan from corner back, what a player he seems to have matured into. Just goes to show what having faith in the young homegrown lads can give you. And a lovely lad aswell, credit to his parents.

TheCiarraiOne (Kerry) - Posts: 7 - 23/07/2014 15:25:41    1624833

Link

It is so refreshing to hear that young talent is being given the chance to shine in the sfc such as casement's o Sullivan. Any word on the black/red card count in Coventry last night?

Great match reports as always in the irish post and did not realise that brendans came back from 6 points down going into the last part of their sfc match v Mary's so it sets them up for a massive div 2 clash v 4 masters who are scoring goals for fun with 7 on Sunday v n padraig.

I feel that our matches are reported excellently by ant the irish post reporter.

Any predictions for the weekend?

Harp17 (UK) - Posts: 5 - 23/07/2014 19:04:18    1624982

Link

My predictions for this weekend are brendans to beat 4 masters , egb to beat barnabus, n p to beat sons , Joseph's to beat o rahillys and connollys to win v finbarrs.

I feel that egb will join macs in the quarter final v 4 master and Brendan's/n padraig.

This season sfc is wide open with a real possibility of maybe another shock or 2 in store before the champs are crowned come the end of september

My money would be on mitchells to retain their sfc title...as they appear to be the form team at present!

Any comments?

Harp17 (UK) - Posts: 5 - 24/07/2014 18:39:51    1625525

Link