Sligo Forum

Sligo 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I really believe that Taylor will win his seat and maybe top the pole......,.. but that's it. We will be well beaten in Markievicz Park. Only bit of hope I have is that our team and Galway are on different wavelengths. This up coming fixture is our All Ireland Final and we are peaking for that. Meanwhile Galway have completely different ambition's and will be hoping to peak much later

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 815 - 07/05/2019 16:39:49    2182331

Link

Replying To eoinog:  "I really believe that Taylor will win his seat and maybe top the pole......,.. but that's it. We will be well beaten in Markievicz Park. Only bit of hope I have is that our team and Galway are on different wavelengths. This up coming fixture is our All Ireland Final and we are peaking for that. Meanwhile Galway have completely different ambition's and will be hoping to peak much later"
I wouldn't be a huge man for mixing football and politics however if we get beat by Galway I think Taylor will find it hard to retain his seat the following week. I do on the other hand think another football man Willie Gormely has a great chance of topping the poll. London showed at the weekend thst Galway are vulnerable and although Im still expecting a Galway victory, I would be hopeful of a good Sligo performance and still being in the game in the last 10.

pointman2007 (Sligo) - Posts: 188 - 08/05/2019 14:12:34    2182487

Link

Replying To pointman2007:  "I wouldn't be a huge man for mixing football and politics however if we get beat by Galway I think Taylor will find it hard to retain his seat the following week. I do on the other hand think another football man Willie Gormely has a great chance of topping the poll. London showed at the weekend thst Galway are vulnerable and although Im still expecting a Galway victory, I would be hopeful of a good Sligo performance and still being in the game in the last 10."
Who cares about their political aspirations?

westsligoawakes (Sligo) - Posts: 74 - 10/05/2019 11:28:08    2182911

Link

Who's going well in the camp, injuries etc?

downsouth18 (Sligo) - Posts: 14 - 10/05/2019 14:18:23    2182939

Link

Team for Sunday
1. Kilgannon
2. Gordon (Curry)
3. Laffey
4. Gordon (Easkey)
5. McNamara
6. McIntyre
7. Cummins
8. Kilcoyne
9. O'Kelly Lynch
10. Cawley
11. O'Connor
12. Carrabine
13. Marren
14. Murphy

NewSligofan (Sligo) - Posts: 236 - 13/05/2019 15:22:30    2183695

Link

Replying To NewSligofan:  "Team for Sunday
1. Kilgannon
2. Gordon (Curry)
3. Laffey
4. Gordon (Easkey)
5. McNamara
6. McIntyre
7. Cummins
8. Kilcoyne
9. O'Kelly Lynch
10. Cawley
11. O'Connor
12. Carrabine
13. Marren
14. Murphy"
Think we're up against it enough as it is without starting with only 14 players!

ChasingShadows (Sligo) - Posts: 49 - 13/05/2019 16:23:08    2183714

Link

Replying To NewSligofan:  "Team for Sunday
1. Kilgannon
2. Gordon (Curry)
3. Laffey
4. Gordon (Easkey)
5. McNamara
6. McIntyre
7. Cummins
8. Kilcoyne
9. O'Kelly Lynch
10. Cawley
11. O'Connor
12. Carrabine
13. Marren
14. Murphy"
Are you just playing 14 a side or will Galway play with 15

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 815 - 13/05/2019 16:24:09    2183715

Link

Hard to be optimistic, especially after the drubbing Leitrim got yesterday cos I think Leitrim are better than us and Roscommon not as good as Galway. Limerick footballer's did cause an upset on Saturday evening though. In 1980 Roscommon should have beaten Kerry in the All Ireland final but didn't and the following summer in the first round of the Championship they lost to Sligo in Markievicz Park. As there was no backdoor their year was finished. Maybe we can do something similar this weekend. I would be traveling in hope rather than with confidence.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 815 - 13/05/2019 16:32:52    2183718

Link

Replying To eoinog:  "Are you just playing 14 a side or will Galway play with 15"
Apologies. Hughes as well

NewSligofan (Sligo) - Posts: 236 - 13/05/2019 18:19:44    2183766

Link

Where do you start with this 2019. So far it's been the disaster we feared. Does anyone see any sign of us learning? Is anyone surprised? When Taylor was selected as Manager I feel our fate was sealed. I do rate Joe Keane and he will do his best to have our players believing on Sunday but will they. Can you trust this group to believe they can do anything? I don't believe they do and you will see it early on in our expression on the field. I heard Taylor is the king of mixed messages and listening to his ocean fm its clear to see why. He contradicts himself a lot and talks a lot of waffle. He said morale is great in the camp and a minute later well sure of course losing creates low morale. He will be telling the players Galway isn't that great after watching London but does he really believe the same Galway will turn up against us. Galway didn't show their hand against London, they'll try to hold a little bit back against us too but ever since 2015 Connacht final where mayo showed our naivety and lack of pace in defending, time and again teams have got 4/5 goals against us. Louth this year, Offaly missed 4 or 5 goal chances, are we learning? Sligo defenders don't track the runs from deep, through laziness or lack of pace, lack of defensive skills, overrunning the runners, diving in etc... expect to see more of this on Sunday. Any chance we stand the runners up and use our bodies to slow them down then choke with 2 or 3 defenders coming in.

At the weekend I watched the u21 Connacht final, the 2 Connacht minor finals and Derry qtr final from 2015 and 2017 and it's shocking how little has filtered through. Kyle Cawley is a huge loss. If Taylor wasn't manager would he play, the county board messed up too.

Tommy Breheny said a 6pt loss would be a success, at home in Markievicz, I agree with him sadly. That's the level of belief in this setup and team. Austin O Callaghan who has massively improved the sports coverage said a lot of fans have a go at him for giving Taylor such an easy ride, free pass, no critical analysis, he put that to Breheny, and Breheny said he got a lot more hassle when he was winning, than Taylor losing. He did say he was entitled to time and its a big step up from managing nothing but CB ensured to dampen any criticism of their poor decisions. I can imagine Keane has torn his hair out comparing this to Mayo getting to All Ireland finals. Taylor is a popular guy, maybe but he is not a good manager. The county deserves better, the players deserve better, and the fans deserve better. There's not much pride in Sligo at the minute. There's a reason our best players are leaving and not committing.

With the game in Markievicz, it will be interesting to see what kind of performance we get. If we haven't learned a defensive strategy yet that allows so many easy goal chances we are in trouble. Will pride be restored in the jersey. Taylor will tell the players there's no pressure on them, well actually there is, your in Markievicz and there will be no hiding place from the locals and Galway still have the potential without conroy and comer to massacre us. I just want us to give a massive performance, show courage, show we are learning how to slow teams down and defend properly. If I see the Galway players prancing through the middle of our defence without a finger being laid on them I will be disappointed. For what it is worth best of luck. Sport has a habit of surprising us, this will be a huge one if we do it. Anything is possible. Sligeach abu.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1543 - 14/05/2019 06:35:16    2183873

Link

And just 1 thing I forgot to add, Taylor talks about this being a learning curve and players gaining vital experience like its a positive and good thing. Experiencing losing consistently does not feed into a healthy belief System and needs to be reversed asap or else becomes habitual, bad habits. Conceding 4/5 goals is not positive. Experience without showing signs of improvement or learning is pointless. If you see our defenders passive and not following the runners whats the point. If we are not learning from our mistakes and if we aren't learning from defeats again it is pointless. We had the wake up call in 2015 on our defending, its 2019 now, what improvement has anyone seen us do to stop conceding goals? Win or Learn. I'm ok for us to lose on Sunday as long as there are serious signs of growth and learning.

As a side note, Charlie Harrison was on Ocean Fm a few months and he talked of his preparation for Championship matches, that when in the parade looking across he knew the huge amount of work he put in and that no one on the opposition had worked harder and a confidence was gained from that. Is every Sligo Player on Sunday in the best shape and fitness they could be like Charlie always was. That would be a minimum for anyone going into the game injuries aside.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1543 - 14/05/2019 22:13:43    2184154

Link

Sligonian - With hurdlers on the ditch like you why would anyone put the effort in to play or manage? What have you ever won that make you such an expert - have you won more than any of the guys on the pitch?

Joburg Harps (Sligo) - Posts: 23 - 15/05/2019 15:07:04    2184323

Link

Replying To Joburg Harps:  "Sligonian - With hurdlers on the ditch like you why would anyone put the effort in to play or manage? What have you ever won that make you such an expert - have you won more than any of the guys on the pitch?"
Joburg - That's neither here nor there. He's well entitled to ask these questions. The lads themselves might not be to blame but I think he is asking the question whether everything is being done to the standard that Harrison would have expected. Is the CB allowing it? Is management allowing it? It starts from the top and works down. I think that is the point he is trying to make rather than pointing fingers at players yet.

Anyway, mood in camp is good going on the few whispers around the county. For what it's worth, I hope the boys and Paul prove a few wrong and give a really good account of themselves. Even if it means coming out on the wrong side of the result. Nobody wants a repeat of Salthill last year. A performance against a good team will deliver much needed confidence. Sligeach Abú

westsligoawakes (Sligo) - Posts: 74 - 15/05/2019 17:10:52    2184362

Link

Joburg, Why would anyone put in the effort you ask, I can tell you the choice of manager and potential of the Seniors would be a lot more important to players than the opinion of fans like myself and look at all those who didn't commit. As I said before that's an answer in itself.

Belief in the county might not be high, but every fan wants us to win or at least put some pride back in the jersey. I think the Sligo people have every right to question Taylors appointment/credentials (it's not a free pass for me) and have low expectations going into the game.

Despite my low expectations I always keep the weekend of the Connacht final in my diary for coming home and this year is no different but the Players have to show us something to believe in first.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1543 - 15/05/2019 22:32:50    2184430

Link

I find some of the comments on here absolutely disgraceful, especially in relation to a legend of Sligo GAA who has never done anything but give his best for club and county. I know for a fact that the time and effort being put in by Paul Taylor and his management team and players is first class. These people are giving it everything they can and deserve some respect and support at least. We've had some terrible (well paid might I add) managers in recent times who got far less stick. It's absolutely ridiculous.

There are massive underlying problems in Sligo GAA. The Junior or development team has often been badly run but to be fair the county board (who get lots wrong) got a proper structure in place to try and run it rightly this year. I heard about 50 players were contacted and less than 20 responded (and some of them were to decline). Fair play to them they kept at it and have a panel for Sunday but you have to ask yourself why is this happening. Is that also Paul Taylor's fault?

ShakeHands (Sligo) - Posts: 32 - 16/05/2019 09:53:30    2184487

Link

Replying To ShakeHands:  "I find some of the comments on here absolutely disgraceful, especially in relation to a legend of Sligo GAA who has never done anything but give his best for club and county. I know for a fact that the time and effort being put in by Paul Taylor and his management team and players is first class. These people are giving it everything they can and deserve some respect and support at least. We've had some terrible (well paid might I add) managers in recent times who got far less stick. It's absolutely ridiculous.

There are massive underlying problems in Sligo GAA. The Junior or development team has often been badly run but to be fair the county board (who get lots wrong) got a proper structure in place to try and run it rightly this year. I heard about 50 players were contacted and less than 20 responded (and some of them were to decline). Fair play to them they kept at it and have a panel for Sunday but you have to ask yourself why is this happening. Is that also Paul Taylor's fault?"
Agreed. I can't remember how many players Kevin Walsh said would not commit to Galway 2 years ago and they have reached a league Final, won 2 Connacht titles, and we're involved in Super8 last year. I have attended a lot of club league games this year and I don't see any exceptional good player that has been overlooked by Mgt.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 815 - 16/05/2019 12:02:17    2184546

Link

No one is saying Taylor is the main reason we are in the position we are in. I hold the County Board far more accountable.

No one is saying they overlooked any players tbf but some of our best players aren't committing to senior set up. What has the junior side anything to do with Paul Taylor. You make a lot of irrelevant points shakehands, like Eoinogs about Galway, just irrelevant.

Explain to me how Taylor is a good manager beyond time and effort? Have you seen the results, the manner of the defeats?

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1543 - 16/05/2019 17:54:40    2184681

Link

Starting team Sligo: Eamonn Kilgannon, Michael Gordon, Peter Laffey, Keelan Cawley, Gerard O'Kelly Lynch, Darragh Cummins, Paul McNamara, Adrian McIntyre, Paul Kilcoyne, Mikey Gordon, Sean Carrabine, Nathan Mullen, Paddy O'Connor, Adrian Marren, Niall Murphy

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1543 - 17/05/2019 01:51:09    2184779

Link

Replying To eoinog:  "Agreed. I can't remember how many players Kevin Walsh said would not commit to Galway 2 years ago and they have reached a league Final, won 2 Connacht titles, and we're involved in Super8 last year. I have attended a lot of club league games this year and I don't see any exceptional good player that has been overlooked by Mgt."
There are no players of a county standard that I see overlooked and that is by far and away the reason we are so poor at the moment. The current standard ,unfortunately, across most grades is at an all time low and much of the reason for this is down to very poor coaching standards, from under age up. The morale at senior level ,from which morale for all other teams is derived, is very low. Before berating management, bear in mind that a highly fancied Sligo team played Galway in Markievicz Pk in 2000 (I think) and were hammered out the gate, scoring the princely sum of 4 points. So to those young inexperienced Sligo players I would say this- whatever the result on Sunday , it will be unlikely not to have happened before AND will again.

Maggiepie (Sligo) - Posts: 211 - 17/05/2019 12:40:40    2184894

Link

Galway scored 22 points that day, with Niall Finnegan scaring an outrageous one, from basically the corner flag.

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 815 - 17/05/2019 14:27:34    2184949

Link