Sligo Forum

Sligo 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I guess like most I was worried about the start, carlow, down and laois is a tough start, with down losing so badly that makes our next game a must win, will be a huge achievement to stay this year.

One thing are there any coaches that can teach our teams to beat a blanket defence and play and make use of the wind, it's embarrassing how bad we are in that regard. All any team has to is set up the blanket and attack at pace, simple easy and boring.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1543 - 28/01/2019 06:10:24    2160215

Link

Replying To Sligonian:  "I guess like most I was worried about the start, carlow, down and laois is a tough start, with down losing so badly that makes our next game a must win, will be a huge achievement to stay this year.

One thing are there any coaches that can teach our teams to beat a blanket defence and play and make use of the wind, it's embarrassing how bad we are in that regard. All any team has to is set up the blanket and attack at pace, simple easy and boring."
Currently all any team playing Sligo have to do,is sit back and wait for them to give them the ball. Happened half a dozen times yesterday. But your assertion that it's easy and simple is wrong and is probably the root cause why teams like Sligo,Fermanagh,Carlow are so wedded to it. Done correctly it's a good strategy BUT doing it correctly takes hours and hours of practice . Also until the current mindset among coaches of "setting up to prevent scores " changes to,how can we ""score more than the opposition " nothing will change. In rugby you can't pass the ball forward and it's easy to ref that , why not make the hand pass in Gaelic football,forward only. Very easy to ref that.

Maggiepie (Sligo) - Posts: 211 - 28/01/2019 14:58:47    2160420

Link

The weather forecast for the weekend is somewhere between very cold and freezing. Any thoughts on the condition of the Collooney pitch ?

MourneRising (Down) - Posts: 238 - 30/01/2019 15:13:01    2160962

Link

If there is no snow, the pitch will be fine. Wear your thermals. Our home ground is closed. This is a fine spot as a club ground, but parking could be an issue. Will many travel from Down

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 815 - 30/01/2019 16:12:37    2160982

Link

Down always bring a few hundred diehards, although the weather might reduce the numbers. Presumably there will be parking available on the main road back to Sligo ?

MourneRising (Down) - Posts: 238 - 30/01/2019 17:58:20    2161009

Link

Replying To MourneRising:  "Down always bring a few hundred diehards, although the weather might reduce the numbers. Presumably there will be parking available on the main road back to Sligo ?"
They're allowing parking on the N17 road (to Galway) anyway, not sure about the N4.

ChasingShadows (Sligo) - Posts: 49 - 31/01/2019 09:36:16    2161112

Link

Just like the Derry game last year, we have to win tomorrow, with Louth beating Laois, we just have to win. Good luck.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1543 - 02/02/2019 21:10:44    2161757

Link

Very disappointing that we couldn't hold on with 14 men with Down getting last minute goal, Hughes sending off a huge loss and now suspended for Laois, not looking great, lads seem to battle hard today, pity, it will take huge inner strength and resilience to avoid relegation now. More positives than the carlow game though.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1543 - 03/02/2019 16:59:45    2162036

Link

Firstly well done to Owenmore Gaels club with the way they hosted the game yesterday. Despite the dreadful weathe, the pitch held up very well and there was an excellent traffic management plan.
Now to the game. It was shocking disappointing not to have got at least a point. Could not fault the team, the work rate, the commitment..Hughes was immense and the sending off was a dreadful call by the linesman. Laois away will be tough...

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 815 - 04/02/2019 11:24:19    2162420

Link

Hughes had a fine game but, from the stand, his tackle on O'Hare was head high and looked a certain red. He would have been very fortunate to escape with a black, but ten minutes in the sin bin would have taken him well beyond the final whistle anyway. It is a pity that he misses the Laois match as Sligo, on yesterday's form, are well capable of the kind of performance which Louth produced against the same opposition the previous night.

MourneRising (Down) - Posts: 238 - 04/02/2019 12:48:04    2162471

Link

MourneRising I was beside the Down dugout where the Hughes incident occurred. Definitely a high tackle and definitely a straight red card. However Hughes was extremely hard done by in the first half. He caught the ball from a free on the edge of the Down square. I only discovered yesterday that you cannot get a mark from this. However the ref blew the whistle as soon as Hughes caught the ball and hence he thought the mark had been awarded. He stopped playing and then the ref awarded a free out for over carrying. Although Down had the lion's share of possession, I thought Sligo deserved something out of the game. It looks bleak now though.

SligoCody (Sligo) - Posts: 74 - 04/02/2019 14:43:17    2162522

Link

If there was a sure fire way of defending a one point lead for 6 mins ,then there would be no point in going to a match or staying until the final whistle- it's the element of chance and eternal hope that brings the true GAA follower out on wintry Sunday's to stand frozen and drenched in a stand or terrace.So it proved on Sunday as Down snatched a scarcely deserved win with a last gasp goal. Overall though, the game was a travesty of what Gaelic football should be about!. It started brilliantly for Sligo with a majestic goal from Pat Hughes and a further 2 points from marks , by the same player. Then the game lapsed into a version of bad basketball,that would leave watching paint dry , an attractive alternative. Gaelic footballers refusing to kick the ball and frequently over carrying and getting penalised for it!! Both teams were the same in this respect. The concession of the last minute goal hopefully will be an eye opener for the manager that attack,is the only way to defend a lead. On the Sligo team Hughes was head and shoulders above the rest, Marren was the liveliest and McIntyre was Ok. I have no doubt that the rest are badly let down by the system , as you could sense from the body language that all are riddled with self doubt and obsessed with not making a mistake, which conversely leads to mistakes in abundance. Kick the effing ball I say and see what happens.

Maggiepie (Sligo) - Posts: 211 - 05/02/2019 18:43:27    2162824

Link

Any word on whether the rest of Sligo's home games be played in Connolly Park? After everything running so smoothly last week, the club deserves to be guranteed the rest of the league games.

pointman2007 (Sligo) - Posts: 188 - 08/02/2019 15:22:23    2163478

Link

It's the start we all feared, not surprised at all. Some of the comments from Laois fans describe Sligo as terrible, inept, shockingly poor. Hughes suspended and Murphy going off after 10 mins was pretty much game over. What happened after half time, they were 3 pts up and scored 1-3 without reply. They had a man sent off with 15 to go which softened the scoreline.

Louth away next, have to win but not looking good at all, going to DIV4 would be a disaster.

Sligonian (Sligo) - Posts: 1543 - 11/02/2019 04:22:38    2164365

Link

Replying To Sligonian:  "It's the start we all feared, not surprised at all. Some of the comments from Laois fans describe Sligo as terrible, inept, shockingly poor. Hughes suspended and Murphy going off after 10 mins was pretty much game over. What happened after half time, they were 3 pts up and scored 1-3 without reply. They had a man sent off with 15 to go which softened the scoreline.

Louth away next, have to win but not looking good at all, going to DIV4 would be a disaster."
Div 4, is the level we are currently at, so it will not be a disaster, rather, a sorry state of affairs. It has come to this primarily because the coaching at school and college level is appalling for the last 20 years. The quality of player coming through the system at present is the poorest ever! Couple that with the senior and intermediate championship's we run and its not hard to see why our standards have fallen so much. To get us back to an acceptable level, the first thing that needs to happen is an acknowledgement and an acceptance that things are badly wrong and that any plans going forward will be totally different to anything tried in the past. Two things that must change is , coaching and the structure of the club championships. Footballers are made in the white heat of meaningful championships, not playing fiddly go games on nice all weather pitches, where everyone is a winner when its over. Sadly our current level was cruelly exposed on two fronts this weekend and it was painful watching. Do we pretend this ok and see more of it, or is there vision and courage in the people who are elected to run the County's football affairs?

Maggiepie (Sligo) - Posts: 211 - 11/02/2019 09:55:52    2164411

Link

I'm a follower of this site but have never posted but to be honest after seeing Sligo in the last three games my blood is beginning to boil.

Things are going to get worse for us in Division 3 and we will be relegated. It's looking like the Offaly game at the end may be two relegated teams just fulfilling a fixture so we can't rely on that unless we get a surprise win on the road. In comparison to other years we gave our outside managers a hard time for not getting results. Just because we have a Sligo man does that mean he gets a free pass on it? I'm aware that we've a young team but how long more can we use that as an excuse for being tactically weak at defence? Losing a lead against Down and having the highest negative score difference show this up!

I was positive about Taylor's appointment given his long service to the county but his lack of experience as manager is showing itself big time now. Young lads win games in other counties too so it's time to start looking deeper than at birth certificates for excuses.

Sligoman1234 (Sligo) - Posts: 76 - 11/02/2019 10:02:10    2164413

Link

Replying To Sligoman1234:  "I'm a follower of this site but have never posted but to be honest after seeing Sligo in the last three games my blood is beginning to boil.

Things are going to get worse for us in Division 3 and we will be relegated. It's looking like the Offaly game at the end may be two relegated teams just fulfilling a fixture so we can't rely on that unless we get a surprise win on the road. In comparison to other years we gave our outside managers a hard time for not getting results. Just because we have a Sligo man does that mean he gets a free pass on it? I'm aware that we've a young team but how long more can we use that as an excuse for being tactically weak at defence? Losing a lead against Down and having the highest negative score difference show this up!

I was positive about Taylor's appointment given his long service to the county but his lack of experience as manager is showing itself big time now. Young lads win games in other counties too so it's time to start looking deeper than at birth certificates for excuses."
Very poor stuff from Sligo yesterday especially first half. Short kickout everytime then carry the ball into trouble and turn over possesion. Was the story of the first half. No players moving to support person in possesion. Forwards did ok when they got the ball and didnt miss a huge amount but problem was getting the ball forward quickly. Sligo got the goals when they moved the ball quick in the 2nd half. Need to stop with this negative defensive play of non stop handpassing. Sligo players looked very unfit and slow off the mark which was a suprise considering the young team they had starting. One positive they kept fighting until the end but they were up against a fairly average laois team. Think its time to throw caution to the wind and start playing high intensity football. Slow build up from the back has got us no where in last 4/5 years.

SuperSligo (Sligo) - Posts: 24 - 11/02/2019 13:34:43    2164527

Link

Sligo 0-10 Mayo 8-16 in a challenge

Sligoman1234 (Sligo) - Posts: 76 - 17/02/2019 18:36:17    2165922

Link

Replying To Sligoman1234:  "Sligo 0-10 Mayo 8-16 in a challenge"
10 points. Not too bad

republican (Sligo) - Posts: 272 - 18/02/2019 14:30:41    2166143

Link

Replying To Sligoman1234:  "Sligo 0-10 Mayo 8-16 in a challenge"
Was there any need to put that up ?

eoinog (Sligo) - Posts: 815 - 18/02/2019 15:17:21    2166152