Monaghan Forum

Group Draws

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Great tussle between Truagh and Carrick yesterday, streamed coverage was excellent with good balanced analysis from the home commentators. Well done to them.

Truagh should have been out of sight by half time missing 2 great goal chances and a lot of wides. They are impressive around the middle and on the run from half back but conversion rate was a problem. McAnenly showed well but faded, Christopher McKenna stepped up.in the second half. John McCarron a real leader for the battle. Aaron Mohan very good too.

Carrick again disappointing given the attacking quality in their ranks. They lacked aggression around midfield for much of the game and this starved the forwards of possession. McEnany and Gollogly coming in nearly turned the tide for them. Sean Downey was most unlucky missing the equalizer at the death having hit 7 or 8 quality points before. They still should make it out of the group ahead of Latton. Clontibret would suit them more than Magheracloone if it comes to that

Eddie the Exile (Monaghan) - Posts: 737 - 17/08/2020 09:12:41    2287837

Link

Replying To Farney:  "With the group stages of the Championships coming to a close, what is the knockout format? is it top 2 from each group play off?"
Top of each group go straight to the semi final, then 2nd and 3rd of each group will play a quarter final for the other 2 spots. 4th and 5th of each group go into relegation play-offs with one team eventually getting relegated.

SomeLad (Monaghan) - Posts: 9 - 17/08/2020 11:21:18    2287858

Link

Replying To nagrattansabu:  "You must be one of the most biased neutrals I have ever had the misfortune to encounter. You're entitled to your opinion but don't sugar coat with neutrality."
I thought the ref had a decent game up until the last 15 minutes. Apart from booking Ryan Wylie instead of Brent early on, but that was a genuine mistake. But for last quarter he seemed to be completely intimidated by the Inniskeen bench who didn't cover themselves with glory. But if referees are going to bend to their will, it is going to encourage them to do it again.
Ironically, the draw which he seemed to be leaning to would have still given Ballybay the semi final berth they wanted and spared the ref a lot of the abuse he got from the home side after. I'll admit to being completely biased though. Glad we won so I can't be accused of having sour grapes.

FootblockREF (Monaghan) - Posts: 494 - 17/08/2020 17:21:26    2287939

Link

Replying To FootblockREF:  "I thought the ref had a decent game up until the last 15 minutes. Apart from booking Ryan Wylie instead of Brent early on, but that was a genuine mistake. But for last quarter he seemed to be completely intimidated by the Inniskeen bench who didn't cover themselves with glory. But if referees are going to bend to their will, it is going to encourage them to do it again.
Ironically, the draw which he seemed to be leaning to would have still given Ballybay the semi final berth they wanted and spared the ref a lot of the abuse he got from the home side after. I'll admit to being completely biased though. Glad we won so I can't be accused of having sour grapes."
Agree with Footblock... Referee easily intimidated by Grattan bench one of whom was constantly on pitch giving verbals to all until he shied away from Drew !
Does anyone monitor these games at County Board level ? Too many space invaders now running all over pitch and no bibs etc..

barroboys (Louth) - Posts: 91 - 17/08/2020 21:22:40    2287980

Link

Replying To barroboys:  "Agree with Footblock... Referee easily intimidated by Grattan bench one of whom was constantly on pitch giving verbals to all until he shied away from Drew !
Does anyone monitor these games at County Board level ? Too many space invaders now running all over pitch and no bibs etc.."
Good game yesterday in Inniskeen , Inniskeen seem to be a up and coming side . Be a big ding dong battle in clontibert next week to see who goes in to q-f.
Taught ref made some poor decisions for both sides ballybay got one or two soft touches half way through second half .
Both benches spent plenty a time on field yesterday prob should a been checked by 4 th official .
A draw probably was a fair result at the death .

Champo20 (Monaghan) - Posts: 5 - 17/08/2020 22:08:33    2287991

Link

With the Championship league coming to an end who is looking promising in the three divisions? Who is like to be the 4 top teams to make semi finals??

Senior
Scotstown
Ballybay
Clontibret
Truagh

Intermediate
Doohamlet
Emyvale
Corduff
Cremartin or Kilanny

Junior
Aughnamullen
Seans
Clones
Toome

These are who I think will come out in the top 4 in each.

countymonaghan (Monaghan) - Posts: 170 - 18/08/2020 10:59:19    2288025

Link

Does anyone know the dates for the knockout games?
I'm trying to get a good deal on a foreign holiday after the Championship is finished.

xxB3B0Stunnahxx (USA) - Posts: 94 - 18/08/2020 12:53:23    2288043

Link

Replying To barroboys:  "Agree with Footblock... Referee easily intimidated by Grattan bench one of whom was constantly on pitch giving verbals to all until he shied away from Drew !
Does anyone monitor these games at County Board level ? Too many space invaders now running all over pitch and no bibs etc.."
Had a flat white in Dundrum with a Grattans person at the game reckons refs against the Grattan's and they will beat Clontibret by 5/6 Points.

bomber123 (Monaghan) - Posts: 63 - 18/08/2020 14:46:21    2288062

Link

Ballybay the most impressive team so far for me, moving Dessie Ward to midfield has sorted out their only weakness. Though Scotstown are going about their business very easily, they haven't broken a sweat yet. I don't know what's going on with Clontibret, their big names aren't at the races at all, and it's very much 50/50 whether them or Iniskeen will progress. And major credit must go to Truagh, such a young team but they've really asserted themselves as one of the top 4 teams.

HB245 (Monaghan) - Posts: 89 - 18/08/2020 17:42:23    2288101

Link

Replying To countymonaghan:  "With the Championship league coming to an end who is looking promising in the three divisions? Who is like to be the 4 top teams to make semi finals??

Senior
Scotstown
Ballybay
Clontibret
Truagh

Intermediate
Doohamlet
Emyvale
Corduff
Cremartin or Kilanny

Junior
Aughnamullen
Seans
Clones
Toome

These are who I think will come out in the top 4 in each."
How can Kilanny be there?

Farney (Monaghan) - Posts: 741 - 19/08/2020 16:37:17    2288292

Link

Replying To Farney:  "
Replying To countymonaghan:  "With the Championship league coming to an end who is looking promising in the three divisions? Who is like to be the 4 top teams to make semi finals??

Senior
Scotstown
Ballybay
Clontibret
Truagh

Intermediate
Doohamlet
Emyvale
Corduff
Cremartin or Kilanny

Junior
Aughnamullen
Seans
Clones
Toome

These are who I think will come out in the top 4 in each."
How can Kilanny be there?"
Sorry read the table wrong. Looks like Tyholland could be in with a good shout if they win their remaining game.

countymonaghan (Monaghan) - Posts: 170 - 19/08/2020 18:58:40    2288304

Link

Anybody from that intermediate group can get out
Currently it's
Emyvale 4 pts
Doohamlet 4 pts
Harps 4 pts all games played
Tyholland 2 pts
Killanny 2 pts

Fixtures are doohamlet v emyvale
Killanny v tyholland
If 2 teams level on points - head to head
More than 2 teams level it goes on points difference

So literally any of the 5 teams can still come out of that group !!

MONAGHAN1985 (Monaghan) - Posts: 73 - 20/08/2020 13:15:32    2288395

Link

Surprised there hasn't been much more talk around Truagh member testing positive for covid. Club announced the test result on a Monday morning the day after playing Carrick. Surely this club member was tested well before the game and the club should've shut down from the moment the member showed symptoms. All makes sense that the news never came out when you shear that 2 of their starting players left for UAE on Monday. No word on whether or not the club has re opened the facilities either? All a bit suspect if you ask me

mongaa95 (Monaghan) - Posts: 32 - 21/08/2020 21:50:47    2288607

Link

Castleblayney not fielding against truagh tomorrow. Unheard of a senior club not playing a championship match. Surely some kind of sanction for not fulfilling the fixture.

latefortraining (Monaghan) - Posts: 58 - 22/08/2020 21:24:56    2288696

Link

Very poor form if true
Who would of thought castleblayney faughs conceding a championship game

222 (UK) - Posts: 535 - 23/08/2020 13:07:49    2288739

Link

A very exciting weekend by all accounts, once again excellent coverage of the games by the clubs involved. Just waiting for the co board to step in now at the quarter or semi final stage and introduce a fee on games they will be streaming.
Absolutely shocking to hear that Castleblayney Faughs conceded a senior championship match in the manner in which they have. What is going on behind the scenes? Did the players agree to this?

CurlyFingers (Monaghan) - Posts: 51 - 23/08/2020 16:40:19    2288763

Link

Replying To CurlyFingers:  "A very exciting weekend by all accounts, once again excellent coverage of the games by the clubs involved. Just waiting for the co board to step in now at the quarter or semi final stage and introduce a fee on games they will be streaming.
Absolutely shocking to hear that Castleblayney Faughs conceded a senior championship match in the manner in which they have. What is going on behind the scenes? Did the players agree to this?"
In the middle of a global pandemic in which more than 2000 people have died in the country, a club decides not to field a team in the interest of public health in a match that makes no material differnce to anyone in the group. Shameful, shocking, disgraceful....

monman2011 (Monaghan) - Posts: 13 - 23/08/2020 17:48:18    2288775

Link

Shocker of a goal coughed up by Clontibret this afternoon.
Bit of a fall for them but they've been pretty well played by other teams this year.
Thought the referee wasn't particulary impressive, but probably the players didn't help him.

PolicemanFox (Monaghan) - Posts: 70 - 23/08/2020 17:49:57    2288776

Link

Replying To monman2011:  "In the middle of a global pandemic in which more than 2000 people have died in the country, a club decides not to field a team in the interest of public health in a match that makes no material differnce to anyone in the group. Shameful, shocking, disgraceful...."
Would they have played it if there was a quarter final place up for grabs?
In light of the global pandemic situation?

Eddie the Exile (Monaghan) - Posts: 737 - 23/08/2020 19:38:50    2288792

Link

I take it the county board will be looking into the standard of officiating in Clontibret today. The ref completely lost control of the game and made some mind boggling decisions. Mind-boggling doesn't do it justice! A horror show from whole officiating team. Harsh on Clontibret to be eliminated in such a manner but they haven't played to their potential at all this year and it would be fair to say they didn't deserve to qualify from the group.

HB245 (Monaghan) - Posts: 89 - 23/08/2020 19:48:29    2288795

Link