Mayo Forum

Decision to drop Clarke????

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Bemused by the decision, cant blame Hennelly, Rochford and his selectors have questions to answer

Panunipa (Mayo) - Posts: 103 - 01/10/2016 20:26:29    1921193

Link

The decision is one matter, but after 10min it was obvious it was going terribly wrong

Why didn't they rectify it then? Then management regardless of county lecture players on leadership and Stepping up to the plate' !! Disaster,

northbouind (Galway) - Posts: 258 - 01/10/2016 20:42:49    1921213

Link

A horrific decision to leave Clarke out...it's not as if he did anything wrong last week..he actually made a couple of brilliant saves... Rochford and his selectors have huge questions to answer as their selection choice has just cost Mayo an All Ireland... Hard luck to a galant Mayo team...Ye were let down on the line...

Sean.66 (Cavan) - Posts: 293 - 01/10/2016 21:45:43    1921243

Link

Replying To Panunipa:  "Bemused by the decision, cant blame Hennelly, Rochford and his selectors have questions to answer"
The small clique of players running the show have even more to answer for.

hamstring (Limerick) - Posts: 314 - 01/10/2016 21:55:20    1921251

Link

What a poor decision by the Mayo mentors. Dropping one of their best players. So if I may say- Typical "Mayo".
Infighting, big egos, poor coaching methods, overconfidence are all Mayo GAA traits in my opinion. (As are skill, fitness, great supporters)
Pity though Mayo and to a lesser degree Galway hurlers cannot seem to shake it off.

galwayford (Galway) - Posts: 2009 - 01/10/2016 22:14:38    1921266

Link

It was a baffling decision and it really backfired. To change your keeper for the All Ireland final beggars belief, especially as Clarke was having a great season. I really think that Henelly is a good keeper but to bring him in out if the cold for a game of this magnitude was asking too much.

I thought Mayo were great in both games and are the only team in the country who can put it up to Dublin on a consistent basis. Going forward you will be major challengers over the next 5 years or more, especially if some more of last year's under 21 team can be integrated into the team.

Have to say your team and fans are an absolute credit. I really hope it happens for you soon.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1735 - 01/10/2016 23:15:26    1921281

Link

Replying To hamstring:  "The small clique of players running the show have even more to answer for."
Bang on !

rossy15 (Roscommon) - Posts: 587 - 01/10/2016 23:34:29    1921289

Link

Roch would get more respect if he acknowledged this calamitous mistake. How did the selectors agree to this? I don't blame Hennelly, I blame management.

liner (Mayo) - Posts: 756 - 02/10/2016 00:52:33    1921312

Link

Terrible decision by Rochford and an even worse decision to stand over his mistake!
This gallant Mayo team produced the goods this time only to be let down by a management trying to prove a point.
Statement made !!!
All Ireland thrown away !!!
You think he'd have learned from his poor goalkeeping decisions in his previous post with Corofin.
Part of managing a team includes not making changes that don't need to be made.
You have the best keeper in Ireland !!!
What will you look like when wins the All Star award?
Whomever you're managing next year, play your best keeper !!!!

StopTheLights (Galway) - Posts: 262 - 02/10/2016 12:00:02    1921429

Link

It looks like a case of being clever for the sake of it - was no need to change anything and don't see what Rochford has brought to the table that wasn't there already... Mayo have been poor all year apart from the two finals in my opinion

Robroy1 (Leitrim) - Posts: 121 - 02/10/2016 12:52:34    1921455

Link

I seem to recall a keeper in the 1996 drawn game let the ball bounce over the bar .

Yes Rochford made a huge mistake but others could have have had crucial scores. Clarke should have been on after 15 minutes. We do not know what type of player pressure he is under. Parsons missed a pop over at the start, COC could have gone far post with final free, AOS could have made one or two etc etc. Cluxton made mistakes the day before also. No worries that is a fine Mayo team that will have its day.

suckvalleypaddy (Galway) - Posts: 1407 - 02/10/2016 13:52:37    1921472

Link

The reason it was such a terrible decision is that there was absolutely no reason or justification for it in the first place. Clark has been outstanding all season so what exactly was Hennelly expected to do that would be so much better? Rockford took a massive risk even though there was never the potential of any great reward if it worked out - this is totally irrational behaviour in any sphere of life. The Mayo team were magnificent and this horrible decision definitely cost them the game.

Gaillimh_Abu (Galway) - Posts: 848 - 02/10/2016 19:50:41    1921592

Link

Replying To StopTheLights:  "Terrible decision by Rochford and an even worse decision to stand over his mistake!
This gallant Mayo team produced the goods this time only to be let down by a management trying to prove a point.
Statement made !!!
All Ireland thrown away !!!
You think he'd have learned from his poor goalkeeping decisions in his previous post with Corofin.
Part of managing a team includes not making changes that don't need to be made.
You have the best keeper in Ireland !!!
What will you look like when wins the All Star award?
Whomever you're managing next year, play your best keeper !!!!"
Stopthelights, I can't think of any mistake Tom Healy made during the Rochford spell in charge of Corofin so why would he not have picked the Galway U21 all Ireland winning keeper, Kevin Murphy was the reserve kerper during his tenure as Bernard Power was unavailable.

You appear to be jumping on the bandwagon.

EDH (Galway) - Posts: 357 - 02/10/2016 22:26:34    1921666

Link

Replying To suckvalleypaddy:  "I seem to recall a keeper in the 1996 drawn game let the ball bounce over the bar .

Yes Rochford made a huge mistake but others could have have had crucial scores. Clarke should have been on after 15 minutes. We do not know what type of player pressure he is under. Parsons missed a pop over at the start, COC could have gone far post with final free, AOS could have made one or two etc etc. Cluxton made mistakes the day before also. No worries that is a fine Mayo team that will have its day."
Hi mate, when you say you ' Dont know what type of player pressure he is under' what are you referring to?

Panunipa (Mayo) - Posts: 103 - 02/10/2016 23:42:22    1921694

Link

We are world class at shooting ourselves in the foot and it would seem that this decision was just another instance of that. Given Hennelly's history of dropping the ball (literally!) in big games, it beggars belief that he was selected. This is arguably the third All-Ireland title that he has cost us, so energy must be put into finding a steady understudy to Clarke this winter. I don't know the club scene in Mayo so well as I've been away a while but there must be someone out there? Young Flanagan from Balla perhaps?

Gleebo (Mayo) - Posts: 1846 - 03/10/2016 07:30:38    1921719

Link

Replying To Gleebo:  "We are world class at shooting ourselves in the foot and it would seem that this decision was just another instance of that. Given Hennelly's history of dropping the ball (literally!) in big games, it beggars belief that he was selected. This is arguably the third All-Ireland title that he has cost us, so energy must be put into finding a steady understudy to Clarke this winter. I don't know the club scene in Mayo so well as I've been away a while but there must be someone out there? Young Flanagan from Balla perhaps?"
Every team makes errors. Only when you win nobody bothers to look at them. Mayo lost again for the same reason as for the last 27 years. They do not have the forwards to win big matches. I don't see a Michael Donnellan, Padraig Joyce or Ja Fallon there. No Peter Canavan or Mickey Linden. Not even a Colm O Rourke or Maurice Fitzgerald. That and no other is the problem. Remember a corner back missing a sitter to beat Kerry 2 years ago. You need forwards to win. Only 8 points from play from your forwards in 2 matches against Dublin. Totally inadequate.
No point in blaming managers past and present. No point in blaming goalkeepers. No point in dreaming of All Irelands unless you can score a reasonable amount from your forwards.
That's your problem folks. I'd love to see you win, its heartbreaking to look at how close you continue to go.

SixtiesKid (Galway) - Posts: 159 - 03/10/2016 16:49:41    1922017

Link

I understand that management are under pressure to get those 1%ers that may get you over the line and for sure Hennelly has a better range on his kick outs but it's like this was all that was in his mind for the first 10 mins, I've been put in here to kick the ball out and find players further up the field. this is fine if Dublin had a full press but if you look at them again he had safer options short. those 3 kick outs rattled his confidence and he should have been pulled at that stage. Keegan card and the penalty was the result of inability by management to make that call.

I don't blame Hennelly as everyone has there bad days, I don't management for initially making the decision and the merits behind it however when something is going wrong and there is no action from the line to change it then that's where it become a real mistake.

It's such a bad call it reminds me of the 1997 AI were Holmes was left on Maurice Fitz for the game and he beat us on his own.

Everyone in the stadium could see it, the general comments from everyone around me after 10mins was "he has to come off now before he causes any more damage"

Why could experienced managers not see this when every man and his dog in croke park could see it?

2winjustonce (Mayo) - Posts: 65 - 03/10/2016 17:18:59    1922031

Link

I feel for Hennelly, both he and Clarke have had a good tussle for the No 1 Jersey.
Poor decision from Mgt to play Hennelly, after not having played since the Galway game.
It is time to look at Flanagan now, as was very impressed with him during the course of the U21 campaign.

The stats always tell a story, however I feel that decisions based on emotion and gut feeling are the best ones to go by.
For example, if the case that Seamus O Shea gave the ball away numerous times in the first game was an indication that these turnovers may have cost us victory, surely he could/should have been held responsible and be dropped in a similar fashion.
I feel there may have been alterior motives/politics at play with the decision, but I hope that I am wrong.

The goalkeeping position is probably the most important part of your team. The confidence it gives defenders and midfielders in particular to know that the guy in the 1 jersey has your back, and is on top of his game, and is ready is vital. Clarke was an All-Star in my eyes, though they will probably give to Cluxton based on the sentiment and the fact he is the first person to collect Sam on 3 occasions.

Agaacultural (Mayo) - Posts: 64 - 03/10/2016 17:41:43    1922039

Link

Replying To liner:  "Roch would get more respect if he acknowledged this calamitous mistake. How did the selectors agree to this? I don't blame Hennelly, I blame management."
Maybe it was the 'curse' that afflicted Rochford, ever seen Final Destination? woohooo Mayo weren't meant to win.....

El_Torro (Tyrone) - Posts: 155 - 03/10/2016 22:11:12    1922156

Link

Replying To El_Torro:  "Maybe it was the 'curse' that afflicted Rochford, ever seen Final Destination? woohooo Mayo weren't meant to win....."
El torro by name, an tarbh by nature, what a load of Taurus!

liner (Mayo) - Posts: 756 - 03/10/2016 23:00:04    1922174

Link