Leitrim Forum

Leitrim V Mayo.

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To SeanMacDiarmada:  "Best of luck to Terry and the lads today. At least able to watch it on the telly."
Why is that lady using players first names only? Who is she anyway? Some stanton one or something. Very frustrating listening to it and she's very dull and boring too.

foneyforme (Leitrim) - Posts: 143 - 01/11/2020 14:35:56    2303812

Link

Tried hard to the end well played leitrim footballers.

OhtobeARossie (Roscommon) - Posts: 1540 - 01/11/2020 14:50:14    2303821

Link

Difference is class showed today although I think Mayo were pretty poor. Our lack of a cutting edge up top killed us and once mayo's first goal went in it was like the energy was sucked off us. Leitrim kicked their balls aimlessly at times but all in all in a strange year we can scratch this one of the board. And rebuild, most likely with a new manager in 2021. Getting back to div 3 must be the goal

republicofcloone (Leitrim) - Posts: 375 - 01/11/2020 14:54:19    2303823

Link

Hard luck, great effort. Black card came at the worst time. Efforts like that will see ye out of division 4 next year.

martinjoe (Mayo) - Posts: 449 - 01/11/2020 14:56:32    2303825

Link

Very proud of Leitrim today. Clear to see the improvement Terry has brought to us. Fitness levels and conditioning has improved a sight. Missing a few certain starters. Vital we get out of Division 4 at the earliest opportunity and I've seen enough the last two weeks to suggest we will. We are a decent division 3 team with scope to improve further.

3rdmidfielder (Australia) - Posts: 112 - 01/11/2020 15:13:37    2303836

Link

Replying To 3rdmidfielder:  "Very proud of Leitrim today. Clear to see the improvement Terry has brought to us. Fitness levels and conditioning has improved a sight. Missing a few certain starters. Vital we get out of Division 4 at the earliest opportunity and I've seen enough the last two weeks to suggest we will. We are a decent division 3 team with scope to improve further."
Agree

Very proud of the the team, their guts and performance.

There is a huge improvement over the past two years and I hope Terry Hyland sees enough to keep with them as there is huge potential in the team to progress to Divion 3 and beyond with the return of the injured players and hopefully others such is Jack Heslin.

joeman123 (Leitrim) - Posts: 230 - 01/11/2020 15:34:24    2303863

Link

Hard luck lads ye left it all on the field. Mayos class eventually wore us down, the way we were set up it was always going to be difficult to get enough scores to stay close to Mayo, the 2 softish goals conceded were a killer too. Team and management at a crossroads now getting relegated from division 3 was a huge blow we need to move up the divisions to get closer to the likes of Mayo, Roscommon and Galway so I hope every one sticks together and try and get promotion again next year.

JimmyNail (Leitrim) - Posts: 56 - 01/11/2020 18:22:58    2303999

Link

Replying To republicofcloone:  "Difference is class showed today although I think Mayo were pretty poor. Our lack of a cutting edge up top killed us and once mayo's first goal went in it was like the energy was sucked off us. Leitrim kicked their balls aimlessly at times but all in all in a strange year we can scratch this one of the board. And rebuild, most likely with a new manager in 2021. Getting back to div 3 must be the goal"
Why would we need a new manager?There's some difference in that team in the last 2 years.Terry deserves another year at least.

masseyferguson (Leitrim) - Posts: 21 - 01/11/2020 19:20:48    2304038

Link

Replying To masseyferguson:  "Why would we need a new manager?There's some difference in that team in the last 2 years.Terry deserves another year at least."
Because we are back in division four and also hammered in championship again?! I'd assume that's why!!

foneyforme (Leitrim) - Posts: 143 - 01/11/2020 21:21:10    2304128

Link

Replying To foneyforme:  "Because we are back in division four and also hammered in championship again?! I'd assume that's why!!"
That was not a hammering. We've had plenty over the years and that wasn't one.We're on the right track we've a good young team who are heading in the right direction

masseyferguson (Leitrim) - Posts: 21 - 01/11/2020 23:15:33    2304191

Link

Leitrim looked to have some good young players. They look a bit light though. Mayo players more physically conditioned. They are playing at a high level for a number of years, and hammered Galway a few weeks ago.

S/C is important to compete. Takes 2 or 3 years to fully show. If players are opting out for a year and coming back, it's hard to make progress on the conditioning. Changing management can be issue too, as another S/C might have other different ideas.

FoolsGold (Cavan) - Posts: 2364 - 02/11/2020 09:44:35    2304246

Link

Replying To foneyforme:  "Because we are back in division four and also hammered in championship again?! I'd assume that's why!!"
I doubt if you have the good of Leitrim football at heart.
Thankfully, and against the odds, we have a reasonably talented bunch of players for the first time in a long long time. Under the current management they have made substantial progress and their is cause for hope.
Surely it makes sense for the current management to continue the journey.

joeman123 (Leitrim) - Posts: 230 - 02/11/2020 10:48:49    2304285

Link

Replying To masseyferguson:  "That was not a hammering. We've had plenty over the years and that wasn't one.We're on the right track we've a good young team who are heading in the right direction"
We lost be 11 points to a Mayo team in second gear and we were at home!! If that is not a hammering I don't know what is. We need to stop accepting these moral victories or being happy with "doing ok" or we will never improve. We are back in division four for a reason!! We need to accept facts- what makes you say we are going in the right direction???? We went back down to division four.

foneyforme (Leitrim) - Posts: 143 - 02/11/2020 11:56:03    2304341

Link

Replying To joeman123:  "I doubt if you have the good of Leitrim football at heart.
Thankfully, and against the odds, we have a reasonably talented bunch of players for the first time in a long long time. Under the current management they have made substantial progress and their is cause for hope.
Surely it makes sense for the current management to continue the journey."
What progress have we made?? Started off in Division four and now we are back there again??!! That is progress is it? Yes we have talented players no doubt, so why did we get relegated so??? Something does not add up- surely progress would have meant staying in division three and building from there?? The fact we didn't suggests we are not making as much progress as some would have us believe. And for you to state I do not have best interests at heart is poor form from you. I am an ardent supporter and I think you should apologise for that statement and be more careful what you write on this.

foneyforme (Leitrim) - Posts: 143 - 02/11/2020 11:59:44    2304346

Link

going back to Div 4 is surely a setback for these lads but do not be gettin bogged down on losing to Mayo- they are a better side all day long and for us to be competitive for the first half was an achievement of sorts.
The key for next year should be to get promoted to div 3 again with same panel plus 4 or 5 of the lads who were missing yesterday and then make a stab at the 2nd tier champo, if both are complete failures then you are correct, hyland has brought them as far as he can and he will probably take the door himself. But i think another year should tell whether exactly we are this best team since 94

gaelsboy (Leitrim) - Posts: 251 - 02/11/2020 12:26:20    2304365

Link

Replying To foneyforme:  "What progress have we made?? Started off in Division four and now we are back there again??!! That is progress is it? Yes we have talented players no doubt, so why did we get relegated so??? Something does not add up- surely progress would have meant staying in division three and building from there?? The fact we didn't suggests we are not making as much progress as some would have us believe. And for you to state I do not have best interests at heart is poor form from you. I am an ardent supporter and I think you should apologise for that statement and be more careful what you write on this."
I'm afraid i agree with joeman here, dont think he was having a go at you just asking you to consider wherther showing hyland the door based on a messed up stop-start year is what would help leitrim football progress even if he was overly candid. we are all leitrim supporters here bar those fools across the shannon looking for trouble

gaelsboy (Leitrim) - Posts: 251 - 02/11/2020 12:33:36    2304372

Link

Replying To gaelsboy:  "I'm afraid i agree with joeman here, dont think he was having a go at you just asking you to consider wherther showing hyland the door based on a messed up stop-start year is what would help leitrim football progress even if he was overly candid. we are all leitrim supporters here bar those fools across the shannon looking for trouble"
Yes we are all united in keeping them away anyway!! Not saying Hyland should go anyway- have no strong feelings either way to be honest but I think we should stop accepting second best really- we were well beaten yesterday and let nobody be fooled Mayo were only ticking over yesterday..... they were not at full tilt or anywhere near it. So we need to accept that we are light years behind.....

foneyforme (Leitrim) - Posts: 143 - 02/11/2020 13:04:54    2304387

Link

You can just tell 50% of the posters on this forum have never kicked a ball in their lives. Then you have the 30% who are just pathetic individual's posting nonsense to get a reaction. It's a pity.

3rdmidfielder (Australia) - Posts: 112 - 02/11/2020 13:11:51    2304390

Link

Replying To foneyforme:  "Yes we are all united in keeping them away anyway!! Not saying Hyland should go anyway- have no strong feelings either way to be honest but I think we should stop accepting second best really- we were well beaten yesterday and let nobody be fooled Mayo were only ticking over yesterday..... they were not at full tilt or anywhere near it. So we need to accept that we are light years behind....."
What I meant was I dont think changing manager will be for the good of Leitrim players.

I also agree we have a long way to go and we will have to step it up a level. However the basis is there and I cant see any good coming from a change of manager.

joeman123 (Leitrim) - Posts: 230 - 02/11/2020 13:24:30    2304397

Link

Replying To 3rdmidfielder:  "You can just tell 50% of the posters on this forum have never kicked a ball in their lives. Then you have the 30% who are just pathetic individual's posting nonsense to get a reaction. It's a pity."
which section of the 80% are you in??

foneyforme (Leitrim) - Posts: 143 - 02/11/2020 13:28:56    2304403

Link