Galway Forum

Galway V Mayo

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I always look forward to this game. Always a great occasion and good craic. Hopefully the weather will improve!

Mayo will be fighting for their lives. If they lose the are essentially relegated. This is great for us because it will be a test against a team holding nothing back. It will tell us an awful lot about where we are.

Has anyone any updates on the Following:
Comers hamstring - How serious is it?
Cillian McDaid injury - How serious is it?
Kiearan Molloy - Is he recovering from a shoulder injury? Is he back in training yet?
Ian Burke - He must not be too far away from match fitness when he was brought onto bench on Sunday. would expect he'll see game time in Mayo game?

We could be destroyed on kick outs in this game. At least Big Tom was a long option in other games but Mayo have big men in the middle. We really need to get the kick out issue resolved.

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1261 - 03/03/2020 11:11:27    2271899

Link

Mayo fighting for their lives the next game and Dublin will most probably need to beat us in the last game to make the league final great 2 games to have coming up to champ hopefully we get the league final more games the better let Pj see what these lads are made of before the summer

Ninnallik (Galway) - Posts: 43 - 03/03/2020 12:12:26    2271920

Link

Replying To Mayonman:  "I always look forward to this game. Always a great occasion and good craic. Hopefully the weather will improve!

Mayo will be fighting for their lives. If they lose the are essentially relegated. This is great for us because it will be a test against a team holding nothing back. It will tell us an awful lot about where we are.

Has anyone any updates on the Following:
Comers hamstring - How serious is it?
Cillian McDaid injury - How serious is it?
Kiearan Molloy - Is he recovering from a shoulder injury? Is he back in training yet?
Ian Burke - He must not be too far away from match fitness when he was brought onto bench on Sunday. would expect he'll see game time in Mayo game?

We could be destroyed on kick outs in this game. At least Big Tom was a long option in other games but Mayo have big men in the middle. We really need to get the kick out issue resolved."
mayo also have an issue with kickouts be it clarke's who are poor or hennelly who is liable to crack under pressure.

mayo's main threat is durcan from wing back and while oshea can be dominant in midfield and with driving runs he does very little with the ball and its very rare he actually kicks it.

they also seem to have slow starts and we should go for throat early especially with our ff line could cause havoc with their inexperienced FF line.

composure in defence is key and not giving away silly frees centrally in around 21 as that is their main source of scores.

hopefully we get a spell of good weather and firmer ground

jm25 (Galway) - Posts: 1085 - 03/03/2020 13:12:49    2271944

Link

The new Goalkeeper and full back line have been outstanding.

brisbane (Galway) - Posts: 457 - 03/03/2020 19:16:44    2272039

Link

Ah for God sake Mayo are our neighbor's most of us have friends who support Mayo so we should not condemn them to relegation...........
Or should we ?

heartbroken (Galway) - Posts: 318 - 03/03/2020 19:52:58    2272050

Link

Replying To heartbroken:  "Ah for God sake Mayo are our neighbor's most of us have friends who support Mayo so we should not condemn them to relegation...........
Or should we ?"
Given that Pat Spillane has signed Mayo's death warrant, I would like to see them staying up. Would also be good for competition in Connaught. But then can we be confident of getting a draw against Dublin... Think we should throw Mayo game, and go out and bate Dublin in Croker. Then bate Kerry in league final. Would be great confidence booster for championship..

Really (Galway) - Posts: 380 - 03/03/2020 22:46:40    2272081

Link

Replying To brisbane:  "The new Goalkeeper and full back line have been outstanding."
Keeper has been solid - good shot stopping etc.
But let's call a spade a spade - he has big problems with his kickout. That aspect of his game has been far from outstanding.

galwayman2 (Galway) - Posts: 750 - 04/03/2020 06:43:48    2272105

Link

Replying To Really:  "Given that Pat Spillane has signed Mayo's death warrant, I would like to see them staying up. Would also be good for competition in Connaught. But then can we be confident of getting a draw against Dublin... Think we should throw Mayo game, and go out and bate Dublin in Croker. Then bate Kerry in league final. Would be great confidence booster for championship.."
You want us to get beat based on what Pat Spillane has said about Mayo ? Strange.
The Dublin game is on in Pearse Stadium.
Maybe you're a Mayo fan on the Galway forum?

Fewpucks24 (Galway) - Posts: 101 - 04/03/2020 07:43:47    2272111

Link

Replying To Really:  "Given that Pat Spillane has signed Mayo's death warrant, I would like to see them staying up. Would also be good for competition in Connaught. But then can we be confident of getting a draw against Dublin... Think we should throw Mayo game, and go out and bate Dublin in Croker. Then bate Kerry in league final. Would be great confidence booster for championship.."
I assume you are joking about throwing games. 2 years ago v Monaghan in super 8s we were sort of in a similar situation and , although we didn't throw the game , the less than intense attitude derailed our season.
Also we are not playing Dublin at Croke Park. Its in Salthill.

anotheralias (Galway) - Posts: 121 - 04/03/2020 08:38:42    2272112

Link

we are not playing dublin in croker

jm25 (Galway) - Posts: 1085 - 04/03/2020 09:14:36    2272115

Link

Team for next game?

cavan.galway (Galway) - Posts: 95 - 04/03/2020 11:13:26    2272145

Link

Replying To heartbroken:  "Ah for God sake Mayo are our neighbor's most of us have friends who support Mayo so we should not condemn them to relegation...........
Or should we ?"
Ha ha! Would they do it for us?! Make no mistake - the majority of Mayo supporters hate Galway - and I mean that. They loathe Galway, so perhaps the feeling should be mutual! Throw no game anyway, we have to build and build this great momentum. Go for the jugular...

togoutlads (Galway) - Posts: 246 - 04/03/2020 12:04:16    2272156

Link

Replying To togoutlads:  "Ha ha! Would they do it for us?! Make no mistake - the majority of Mayo supporters hate Galway - and I mean that. They loathe Galway, so perhaps the feeling should be mutual! Throw no game anyway, we have to build and build this great momentum. Go for the jugular..."
Anyone that thinks the next two games are any different to the Meath game needs to think again. We saw Meath throw the kitchen sink at us and almost got a result. So for obvious reasons the next two games will be no different ie Mayo fighting regelatiion and Dublin fighting to get to league final. Mayo people would love to gloat about staying in division 1 at the expense of Galway not reaching a league final.

Toman (Galway) - Posts: 455 - 04/03/2020 12:40:03    2272162

Link

I dunno lads, part of me thinks job done, div 1 secured for next year let's have a look at Farragher, Finnerty, Molloy, Power(never really played a league), Campbell, Liam Costello, Liam Boyle(was togged sun), Barrett and even Tierney. Mayo and Dublin would tell us a lot about the above see how they fare. Mayo have a much greater need but that could go either way, our team under no pressure could play very well.

The other argument is that like 18, getting to play a league final against the dubs did us no harm, won Connacht, beat Kerry in Croker(first win over them in 50 years) and got to an AI semi(first in 17 years).

I think we will beat Mayo.

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 381 - 04/03/2020 13:24:13    2272172

Link

Will Ian Burke be togged.There were rumours he was togged in Navan last Sunday but I couldn't see him anywhere and don't think he was.As i mentioned before he was supposed to be taking a break but hear now that he has been seen in Loughgeorge. Any one have updates on this?

fairplay4ever (Galway) - Posts: 377 - 04/03/2020 15:22:29    2272200

Link

Replying To fairplay4ever:  "Will Ian Burke be togged.There were rumours he was togged in Navan last Sunday but I couldn't see him anywhere and don't think he was.As i mentioned before he was supposed to be taking a break but hear now that he has been seen in Loughgeorge. Any one have updates on this?"
He was 100% togged last Sunday and took a full part in the warm up. Was announced beforehand as replacing Comer on the listed programme wearing 11

johnterry (Galway) - Posts: 381 - 04/03/2020 15:44:23    2272205

Link

Replying To johnterry:  "He was 100% togged last Sunday and took a full part in the warm up. Was announced beforehand as replacing Comer on the listed programme wearing 11"
Was that not Liam Boyle?

Jellybaby (Dublin) - Posts: 264 - 04/03/2020 19:01:51    2272239

Link

Replying To Jellybaby:  "Was that not Liam Boyle?"
heard the Announcement as well but couldn't see him on the pitch .was also told later by someone close to team that it was liam boyle.

fairplay4ever (Galway) - Posts: 377 - 05/03/2020 00:53:05    2272282

Link

Replying To johnterry:  "I dunno lads, part of me thinks job done, div 1 secured for next year let's have a look at Farragher, Finnerty, Molloy, Power(never really played a league), Campbell, Liam Costello, Liam Boyle(was togged sun), Barrett and even Tierney. Mayo and Dublin would tell us a lot about the above see how they fare. Mayo have a much greater need but that could go either way, our team under no pressure could play very well.

The other argument is that like 18, getting to play a league final against the dubs did us no harm, won Connacht, beat Kerry in Croker(first win over them in 50 years) and got to an AI semi(first in 17 years).

I think we will beat Mayo."
I agree, but i think you only try a couple of new guys at a time. It gives them a better chance to impress playing with the first team rather than wholesale changes.

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1261 - 05/03/2020 10:14:34    2272305

Link

Replying To johnterry:  "I dunno lads, part of me thinks job done, div 1 secured for next year let's have a look at Farragher, Finnerty, Molloy, Power(never really played a league), Campbell, Liam Costello, Liam Boyle(was togged sun), Barrett and even Tierney. Mayo and Dublin would tell us a lot about the above see how they fare. Mayo have a much greater need but that could go either way, our team under no pressure could play very well.

I think we will beat Mayo."
I think 'the other argument' is the way to go. Keep picking this 'starting team', and keep trying to collect wins. It's not as if we're an established team yet anyway. It's already a new team, new management, trialing a new style, so it mightn't be a great idea to overload it with a raft of changes. It's always easier to trial new players in ones or twos into a stable base, than to make 5or6 changes, and hope lads impress in the possible chaos.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 2355 - 05/03/2020 11:10:40    2272313

Link