8. McGee
9. McFadden
10. C Thompson
11. N O Donnell
12. Lagan
13. McBrearty
14. Murphy
15. Brennan

* places up for grabs. Mcgrath isn't ready or finished? Ward better at 2 if on. E Ban G better in the halfback line? No6 needs filling. Is Brennan in there for strength or is he good enough.
Mogan not far off but is he too small for halfback line. Hard to get into the front 6.
Gallen for me doesn't get in yet unless Paddy isn't fit. Great record as a sub also.
Mclean is small, E Doherty too slow?
McKelvey.

EP (Donegal) - Posts: 68 - 26/10/2020 13:18:09    2301592

Link

Replying To EP:  "Here goes mine:
1. Patton
2. Ward*
3. McGee
4. McMenamin
5. E Ban*
6. Dara OB*
7. McHugh
8. McGee
9. McFadden
10. C Thompson
11. N O Donnell
12. Lagan
13. McBrearty
14. Murphy
15. Brennan

* places up for grabs. Mcgrath isn't ready or finished? Ward better at 2 if on. E Ban G better in the halfback line? No6 needs filling. Is Brennan in there for strength or is he good enough.
Mogan not far off but is he too small for halfback line. Hard to get into the front 6.
Gallen for me doesn't get in yet unless Paddy isn't fit. Great record as a sub also.
Mclean is small, E Doherty too slow?
McKelvey."
I agree regarding the places up for grabs. Paddy looked in bad need of the outing yesterday which will bring him on but also not at the level to start. The problem then is that Ward also doesn't seem to be at his usual levels and I wonder if he was or is carrying something. Similar sentiments for O'Baoill who had good moments against Kerry but also got caught out a fair few times on the back foot with Kerry men going past him far too easily. I think Paul Brennan will start. While I would have reservations about him in certain games I wouldn't at the weekend. I also think there is a fair chance McKelvey will start probably with a man marking duty in mind rather than in a particular position. The front 6 picks themselves if fully fit but there must be question marks over Paddy and Langan. Besides its good to have those options off the bench if not fully fit.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2480 - 26/10/2020 13:56:15    2301617

Link

Replying To panamasam:  "I agree regarding the places up for grabs. Paddy looked in bad need of the outing yesterday which will bring him on but also not at the level to start. The problem then is that Ward also doesn't seem to be at his usual levels and I wonder if he was or is carrying something. Similar sentiments for O'Baoill who had good moments against Kerry but also got caught out a fair few times on the back foot with Kerry men going past him far too easily. I think Paul Brennan will start. While I would have reservations about him in certain games I wouldn't at the weekend. I also think there is a fair chance McKelvey will start probably with a man marking duty in mind rather than in a particular position. The front 6 picks themselves if fully fit but there must be question marks over Paddy and Langan. Besides its good to have those options off the bench if not fully fit."
Good looking team.. Quick question .. If the 2 ordhan were available would they walk on to that team? If so who's place would they take?

RoryGall35 (Donegal) - Posts: 104 - 26/10/2020 14:25:02    2301638

Link

From reading between the lines and with Paul Brennan not starting last week I presume he starts so here goes.
S patton
Eoghan ban
Neil
Mc menamin
Ryan
P Brennan
Mc Kelvey (man marking)
Hugh
Caolan mc gonagle
M langan
Niall
ciaran
Paddy if fit if not Oisin g
Murphy
Jamie.
On last year form daire o baoill would be in instead of mc kelvey. But he's not really a marker. Mc lean wudnt be far away from starting.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 888 - 26/10/2020 15:42:14    2301667

Link

Replying To RoryGall35:  "Good looking team.. Quick question .. If the 2 ordhan were available would they walk on to that team? If so who's place would they take?"
I think McFadden-Ferry would be in the full back line without a doubt, and MacNiallis would probably take one of the half-forward spots. Would be a lovely problem to have!

JoeSoap (Donegal) - Posts: 1162 - 26/10/2020 16:20:10    2301685

Link

Mc Neilis is the joint second best player we have! He starts!! Such a shame.

TheRock2121 (Donegal) - Posts: 574 - 26/10/2020 17:01:43    2301702

Link

Replying To TheRock2121:  "Mc Neilis is the joint second best player we have! He starts!! Such a shame."
My thinking exactly.. Was kinda hoping the extented break from the coronavirus would wet his appetite again

RoryGall35 (Donegal) - Posts: 104 - 26/10/2020 17:42:23    2301713

Link

Replying To RoryGall35:  "Good looking team.. Quick question .. If the 2 ordhan were available would they walk on to that team? If so who's place would they take?"
Mcniallais is a real talent and would be a starter if he was ok to commit. In certain matches he could be a very effective in the inside line in relation to the mark, give him a little space to run into and you would not outfield him. Murphy could kick it from distance and more or less say go and and get that mcniallais. You would love to see him playing with the other talented players on the Donegal team though it's a big commitment and it's not for everyone. There was an interesting podcast with Eamon McGee last week and makes good reference to the commitment required for intercounty football.

McFadden-ferry would be another a starter too. I think he might be better in the half back line at present as he can be a little rash in the tackle and would need a little work on that. The energy, tenacity and pace though is very impressive.

Ulsterchamps_32 (Donegal) - Posts: 350 - 26/10/2020 17:54:31    2301720

Link

Absolutely I think McFadden Ferry would be in instead of Ward or McKelvey and likely be the man on McKenna. Again MacNialais a certain starter in the half forward with the potential to drift in. Probably in place of one of O'Donnell or McGee.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2480 - 26/10/2020 18:10:44    2301725

Link

Replying To Ulsterchamps_32:  "Mcniallais is a real talent and would be a starter if he was ok to commit. In certain matches he could be a very effective in the inside line in relation to the mark, give him a little space to run into and you would not outfield him. Murphy could kick it from distance and more or less say go and and get that mcniallais. You would love to see him playing with the other talented players on the Donegal team though it's a big commitment and it's not for everyone. There was an interesting podcast with Eamon McGee last week and makes good reference to the commitment required for intercounty football.

McFadden-ferry would be another a starter too. I think he might be better in the half back line at present as he can be a little rash in the tackle and would need a little work on that. The energy, tenacity and pace though is very impressive."
What podcast was Eamon McGee on?

greatpoint (USA) - Posts: 325 - 26/10/2020 20:17:39    2301761

Link

Replying To greatpoint:  "What podcast was Eamon McGee on?"
The Backdoor gaa podcast. You'll get it on youtube.

Ulsterchamps_32 (Donegal) - Posts: 350 - 26/10/2020 21:16:40    2301793

Link

Replying To Ulsterchamps_32:  "The Backdoor gaa podcast. You'll get it on youtube."
Thank you.

greatpoint (USA) - Posts: 325 - 27/10/2020 00:22:31    2301839

Link

I think it's very much a case of horses for courses these days. There isn't one hard and fastened "best team". The strengths and weaknesses of the opposition will dictate what team Bonner and co set out.

There is a very good article in the Irish News which lists reasons why we'll beat Tyrone. Worth a look if you can find the link. I'm much more confident after reading it.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7115 - 27/10/2020 10:31:35    2301886

Link

Replying To Lockjaw:  "I think it's very much a case of horses for courses these days. There isn't one hard and fastened "best team". The strengths and weaknesses of the opposition will dictate what team Bonner and co set out.

There is a very good article in the Irish News which lists reasons why we'll beat Tyrone. Worth a look if you can find the link. I'm much more confident after reading it."
I agree on the team selection.

However im sure there's 3 or 4 key points that Tyrone will feel can bring them over the line.

TheRock2121 (Donegal) - Posts: 574 - 27/10/2020 15:27:06    2302094

Link

Replying To Lockjaw:  "I think it's very much a case of horses for courses these days. There isn't one hard and fastened "best team". The strengths and weaknesses of the opposition will dictate what team Bonner and co set out.

There is a very good article in the Irish News which lists reasons why we'll beat Tyrone. Worth a look if you can find the link. I'm much more confident after reading it."
Interesting article cheers for the heads up.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2480 - 27/10/2020 15:33:31    2302100

Link

For the life of me I don't understand why Eoghan Ban is in the corner, surely he would be a greater attacking threat wing back....

KerrymanStuckInDonegal (Kerry) - Posts: 96 - 27/10/2020 21:28:35    2302281

Link

Replying To KerrymanStuckInDonegal:  "For the life of me I don't understand why Eoghan Ban is in the corner, surely he would be a greater attacking threat wing back...."
I don't think it's as simple as that. I would love to have eoghan ban as a wing back with Ryan Mc Hugh on the other flank. But from watching games eoghan seems to be preferred as a marker on the oppositions best player in our full back line. We are not really blessed at the moment with pacy man marking corner backs. If we were I would have no doubt eoghan would play at no 7. One thing that Rochford always done with Mayo was to have two attacking wing backs who took the game to there opponents at every opportunity ie colm Boyle and lee keegan. So I would be sure him and bonner would like to play that way too because eoghan and Ryan are brilliant ball carriers. The loss of Morrison and mc fadden ferry sadly I would say lessens the chance of eoghan being used as a wing back. More the pity because I would love to see him running at that Tyrone defence on Sunday.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 888 - 28/10/2020 10:54:33    2302379

Link

Replying To rorysboys:  "I don't think it's as simple as that. I would love to have eoghan ban as a wing back with Ryan Mc Hugh on the other flank. But from watching games eoghan seems to be preferred as a marker on the oppositions best player in our full back line. We are not really blessed at the moment with pacy man marking corner backs. If we were I would have no doubt eoghan would play at no 7. One thing that Rochford always done with Mayo was to have two attacking wing backs who took the game to there opponents at every opportunity ie colm Boyle and lee keegan. So I would be sure him and bonner would like to play that way too because eoghan and Ryan are brilliant ball carriers. The loss of Morrison and mc fadden ferry sadly I would say lessens the chance of eoghan being used as a wing back. More the pity because I would love to see him running at that Tyrone defence on Sunday."
Spot on rorys plus the fact Paddy McGrath is returning from a serious injury and not had much county game time. Just got to make do for now. Interestingly Brendan Devenney was highlighting the lack of depth of defenders coming through in Donegal on otbam this morning. He feels the club game is riddled with blanket defenses which in turn maybe a causal factor in the lack of defensive players coming through.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2480 - 28/10/2020 12:16:15    2302429

Link

I think Eoghan Ban gets more freedom from corner back. You stick him half back and tell him to go forward and he'll be man marked. He's great in the corner in the sense that his pace can break the high press and get Donegal motoring on the forward foot.

TheRock2121 (Donegal) - Posts: 574 - 28/10/2020 12:25:43    2302437

Link

As an outsider looking in...
Surely Jason McGee gets onto any strongest Donegal starting 15, the lad is class any time i have seen him.

Paul Brennan at centerback definitely the standout weak link as far as i can see
Very strong team otherwise, lots of scoring power

HuddHastings (Longford) - Posts: 80 - 28/10/2020 12:45:29    2302451

Link