Donegal Forum

Senior Championship

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To DL_Man:  "I've heard this argument about the "two-up" from the intermediate championship potentially taking away from the spectacle of the final but I really don't think that holds any weight. Surely the prospect of a championship title and a run in the Ulster championship is enough of an incentive for any team. Do people really think that 2 teams are going to go into an IFC final and not do everything they can to win it?"
Have all senior teams in division 1 were they only play each other once not twice meaning 15 league games a year. the bottom two in the league go to intermediate. the winners of league 2 become senior and the winners of intermediate county go to senior. This way it makes everything more competitive in the leagues.

naomh_conaill_4 (Donegal) - Posts: 364 - 01/10/2020 13:56:43    2295060

Link

County final moved again, now to be played on the 11th oct at 3pm.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1734 - 01/10/2020 22:22:16    2295165

Link

Well well well, what a mess we have now.

I called it at the time, the game should have proceeded as planned a week go as a nationwide lockdown was always back on the cards.

I also said that the decision to run a championship at all during the summer with no testing whatsoever was an act of gross self entitlement may be looked back on in time as a moronic decision.

Look at what happened in Forkhill, look at what happened with Blackrock yesterday- these are 2 example cases only. Absolutely disgraceful in the current environment and it saddens me to say that if this had been ANY other sport involved in this, there would be absolute hell to pay. Time for the GAA to get a hold of their members and wise up.

ManusFromHeaven (Donegal) - Posts: 326 - 05/10/2020 09:19:29    2295722

Link

Replying To ManusFromHeaven:  "Well well well, what a mess we have now.

I called it at the time, the game should have proceeded as planned a week go as a nationwide lockdown was always back on the cards.

I also said that the decision to run a championship at all during the summer with no testing whatsoever was an act of gross self entitlement may be looked back on in time as a moronic decision.

Look at what happened in Forkhill, look at what happened with Blackrock yesterday- these are 2 example cases only. Absolutely disgraceful in the current environment and it saddens me to say that if this had been ANY other sport involved in this, there would be absolute hell to pay. Time for the GAA to get a hold of their members and wise up."
It is hard to disagree with what you are saying and we are in a mess alright. It is not just a GAA problem though. society got too relaxed about covid and unfortunately the virus has spread as bad as ever again. I feel that playing sport is actually safe and beneficial for kids and adults. However there were issues around games themselves with people gathering in big numbers with no social distancing. I was hoping that underage would at least be able to continue to train over the winter but that doesn't look likely now. We all just have to knuckle down and obey the rules, get the numbers down to a safer level.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1734 - 05/10/2020 11:54:16    2295762

Link

And just like this it's gone.
County board should be embarrassed with themselves.

naomh_conaill_4 (Donegal) - Posts: 364 - 05/10/2020 14:39:02    2295822

Link

Should have been on yesterday. I would like to know the reason why it wasn't. Probably won't be played till next year now. Said it before there were too many games in championship this year with it being the year it was, priority should have been given to getting it finished within the deadline clubs were given.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 888 - 05/10/2020 14:53:21    2295826

Link

The county board now want to play the senior final during the inter-county window. As far as I know Donegal have a game every weekend, are they seriously going to play the final mid-week sandwiched between Donegal games?

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1734 - 05/10/2020 19:42:39    2295907

Link

Straight knockout was the way to go sure there was hardly a decent game up to the semi-final.All we can hope for is next year common sense will prevail.

neutral (None) - Posts: 298 - 05/10/2020 20:55:22    2295922

Link

Replying To Green_Gold:  "The county board now want to play the senior final during the inter-county window. As far as I know Donegal have a game every weekend, are they seriously going to play the final mid-week sandwiched between Donegal games?"
The best option now is just to scrap it and say it was null and void.

It's not fair on the club player waiting on the county to go outta the inter county championship to play a single game.
I think Kilcar have so much more to lose than us as they will have a lot more players starting and featuring for county and risk injury.

Will there be challenge matches before the county final to get players to match fitness and if so who against as everyone else is finished playing.

SHAMBLES!!!!

naomh_conaill_4 (Donegal) - Posts: 364 - 06/10/2020 08:41:20    2295981

Link

Replying To Green_Gold:  "The county board now want to play the senior final during the inter-county window. As far as I know Donegal have a game every weekend, are they seriously going to play the final mid-week sandwiched between Donegal games?"
I think the rule is that club fixtures can be played once a county gets knocked out of the championship. It'll be hard for the Glenties and Kilcar lads to play the final Christmas week! :P ;)

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7115 - 06/10/2020 08:54:38    2295984

Link

Replying To naomh_conaill_4:  "The best option now is just to scrap it and say it was null and void.

It's not fair on the club player waiting on the county to go outta the inter county championship to play a single game.
I think Kilcar have so much more to lose than us as they will have a lot more players starting and featuring for county and risk injury.

Will there be challenge matches before the county final to get players to match fitness and if so who against as everyone else is finished playing.

SHAMBLES!!!!"
Its just absolutely unacceptable for the club player to keep himself ready to play a county final at the earliest mid Nov and at the latest early January. With further restrictions likely and a ban on collective contact training at club level and possibly even the closing of gyms and the very pitches themselves, it would be back to road running as preparation for an unspecified county final date!

What a thundering mess when the game should have already been done and dusted.

ManusFromHeaven (Donegal) - Posts: 326 - 06/10/2020 11:43:17    2296028

Link

Replying To naomh_conaill_4:  "The best option now is just to scrap it and say it was null and void.

SHAMBLES!!!!"
Agree. With the best will in the world it would be impossible to expect Kilcar and Glenties lads to just be on standby, focused, fit and sharp for a county final with no fixed date and time in place.

I know hindsight is great but it surely was a year to go straight knockout like they had in Tyrone. Or even back to the old home and away in the first round?

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7115 - 06/10/2020 11:58:29    2296030

Link

Replying To Lockjaw:  "Agree. With the best will in the world it would be impossible to expect Kilcar and Glenties lads to just be on standby, focused, fit and sharp for a county final with no fixed date and time in place.

I know hindsight is great but it surely was a year to go straight knockout like they had in Tyrone. Or even back to the old home and away in the first round?"
There was a week gap bettwen the Semi finals and the Final that there was no need for. The reason I say that is because it wasn't a weeks rest because NC was forced to play a regional albeit we put out our minors in that game but according to the county board it was our seniors they didn't care if we had rest or not. Kilcars got cancelled which was the right decision.

I still stand by cancelling the game for the 27th of September though it was avoidable if the players weren't brought back to the county panel

naomh_conaill_4 (Donegal) - Posts: 364 - 06/10/2020 12:30:39    2296040

Link

Replying To Lockjaw:  "I think the rule is that club fixtures can be played once a county gets knocked out of the championship. It'll be hard for the Glenties and Kilcar lads to play the final Christmas week! :P ;)"
Sorry I misled everybody there, I had thought the county board were suggesting playing the game in between Donegal inter-county games. So basically Naomh Chonaill and Kilcar have to wait around until Donegal get knocked out of the championship, mad stuff.

Our club championship should have been straight knockout. We could have been finished at the start of September. Not sure what can be done now. I wonder how the players feel themselves? Would they prefer to cancel the whole thing or would they be rather play the final when Donegal finish up the inter-county season?

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1734 - 06/10/2020 13:53:41    2296064

Link

Replying To Green_Gold:  "Sorry I misled everybody there, I had thought the county board were suggesting playing the game in between Donegal inter-county games. So basically Naomh Chonaill and Kilcar have to wait around until Donegal get knocked out of the championship, mad stuff.

Our club championship should have been straight knockout. We could have been finished at the start of September. Not sure what can be done now. I wonder how the players feel themselves? Would they prefer to cancel the whole thing or would they be rather play the final when Donegal finish up the inter-county season?"
I hope Donegal are involved until the 20th December.Apart from the Covid crisis we always seem to be very happy to pospone or call off activities for all sorts of reasons.

gunman (Donegal) - Posts: 698 - 06/10/2020 15:15:56    2296083

Link

Right shower of moaners on this page. Giving out about anything and everything. If it wasn't for the positive covid test the final would have been done and dusted and finished pretty much in line with every other county. Can't blame the county board for a positive test. I'd say there is a good chance the inter county games will spill over into next year due to positive tests along the way, but we are going to have to roll with the punches. I'm delighted we got the club action we did and am hoping the inter county stuff gets the go ahead... it'll shorten the winter big time.

I'm not sure why the final was changed from mid week, was it a request from one or other of the clubs? I'm surprised a mid week game was ever agreed to. I'm sure the county board and clubs can come to an agreement to get the game played at some point.

himachechy (Donegal) - Posts: 249 - 06/10/2020 16:35:42    2296101

Link

Replying To himachechy:  "Right shower of moaners on this page. Giving out about anything and everything. If it wasn't for the positive covid test the final would have been done and dusted and finished pretty much in line with every other county. Can't blame the county board for a positive test. I'd say there is a good chance the inter county games will spill over into next year due to positive tests along the way, but we are going to have to roll with the punches. I'm delighted we got the club action we did and am hoping the inter county stuff gets the go ahead... it'll shorten the winter big time.

I'm not sure why the final was changed from mid week, was it a request from one or other of the clubs? I'm surprised a mid week game was ever agreed to. I'm sure the county board and clubs can come to an agreement to get the game played at some point."
but you can blame the county board because they should've banned NC players and Kilcar players from linking up with the county team.

naomh_conaill_4 (Donegal) - Posts: 364 - 07/10/2020 08:48:38    2296185

Link

Replying To naomh_conaill_4:  "but you can blame the county board because they should've banned NC players and Kilcar players from linking up with the county team."
crazy comment.They can not control everything.

ifindoubt (Donegal) - Posts: 114 - 07/10/2020 10:54:23    2296203

Link

Replying To naomh_conaill_4:  "but you can blame the county board because they should've banned NC players and Kilcar players from linking up with the county team."
Ban them from attending? Thats a matter for the donegal management and players to decide between themselves surely.

LagheyLad (Donegal) - Posts: 39 - 07/10/2020 11:51:49    2296213

Link

Replying To naomh_conaill_4:  "There was a week gap bettwen the Semi finals and the Final that there was no need for. The reason I say that is because it wasn't a weeks rest because NC was forced to play a regional albeit we put out our minors in that game but according to the county board it was our seniors they didn't care if we had rest or not. Kilcars got cancelled which was the right decision.

I still stand by cancelling the game for the 27th of September though it was avoidable if the players weren't brought back to the county panel"
Do you accept that had the player NOT been part of the county set up, he would still most likely have been positive but unaware, most likely played in the county final, possibly been involved in post match celebrations etc and a huge risk of spreading the virus in the local area?

Against the backdrop of this it is MADNESS that a championship went ahead all summer at all. With 0 testing there is no avoiding the fact that although very little transmission of the virus was directly associated with GAA, it cannot be discounted as a factor in community transmission for a virus which was once beaten down to nearly 0 but built up a head of steam again throughout the summer months.

ManusFromHeaven (Donegal) - Posts: 326 - 07/10/2020 11:53:08    2296214

Link