Donegal Forum

Senior Championship

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

They went with a Mickey Mouse regional league system instead of going straight into championship. This coupled with the extra championship game has left little wriggle room for manoeuvre.

crnm (Donegal) - Posts: 88 - 23/09/2020 14:51:33    2293772

Link

Thought the league worked well. Gave teams plenty of games. If it lasted without covid we would be saying how great it was.

TheRock2121 (Donegal) - Posts: 574 - 23/09/2020 23:56:12    2293848

Link

In fairness the County board done a good job.The regional league went well.The new championship format was innovative and exciting.Not an easy job but credit were credit is due

ifindoubt (Donegal) - Posts: 114 - 24/09/2020 10:45:57    2293876

Link

Nothing wrong with league if it was a normal year. Why add game on in a pandemic year with a tight schedule. Doesn't make sense.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 888 - 24/09/2020 10:52:58    2293878

Link

In hindsight all club games should have been completed before the inter-county teams went back training. County teams were due to go back on the 14th Sept so the GAA should have told counties to have it all completed by then.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1734 - 24/09/2020 11:22:55    2293888

Link

Replying To Green_Gold:  "In hindsight all club games should have been completed before the inter-county teams went back training. County teams were due to go back on the 14th Sept so the GAA should have told counties to have it all completed by then."
agree, the decision should have been taken out of the county boards hands.

naomh_conaill_4 (Donegal) - Posts: 364 - 24/09/2020 11:31:57    2293890

Link

Replying To Green_Gold:  "In hindsight all club games should have been completed before the inter-county teams went back training. County teams were due to go back on the 14th Sept so the GAA should have told counties to have it all completed by then."
Are you suggesting all would have been well and good if a poxy test in the county squad hadnt ruined it all?

Running a county championship all summer with no testing- will prove in time to have been a very wreckless act at a delicate period in handling the virus.

ManusFromHeaven (Donegal) - Posts: 326 - 24/09/2020 13:56:10    2293912

Link

Replying To ManusFromHeaven:  "Are you suggesting all would have been well and good if a poxy test in the county squad hadnt ruined it all?

Running a county championship all summer with no testing- will prove in time to have been a very wreckless act at a delicate period in handling the virus."
No not at all, wasn't suggesting that the issue was with the county squad testing, in fact it is brilliant that they are taking it upon themselves to test and try to keep everyone safe. My main point is that they should have had club football wrapped up by the time the county squads started training as you now have players mixing all over the place. Players are now training with their club teams and the county squads.

Your last point about the club games running all summer with no testing could well prove to be true. However at the time when things started up again back in June, we had very low levels of the virus. At this point in time, its definitely not safe to be running games. My opinion is that we should try to get the county final played and let our county team get on with things but otherwise we should cancel for now.

The county board have been silent on this, do posters think they should step in here? The Ladies have cancelled all underage for the moment which seems a sensible decision.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1734 - 24/09/2020 14:54:55    2293921

Link

It looks like the county board are waiting for this government announcement to act further . Which to be fair you can see where they are coming from . No point them making a stance now and then the government announcements them do something different

Donegal007 (Donegal) - Posts: 15 - 24/09/2020 15:00:13    2293922

Link

Now what? Club GAA is not classified as elite level sport.

ManusFromHeaven (Donegal) - Posts: 326 - 25/09/2020 13:18:38    2294025

Link

Replying To ManusFromHeaven:  "Now what? Club GAA is not classified as elite level sport."
I think senior club hurling championship went ahead in Dublin last Sunday after Level 3 restrictions were implemented? I think it just means that there will definitely be no crowd allowed at the county final.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 7115 - 25/09/2020 13:45:49    2294029

Link

Replying To Lockjaw:  "I think senior club hurling championship went ahead in Dublin last Sunday after Level 3 restrictions were implemented? I think it just means that there will definitely be no crowd allowed at the county final."
Correct, all adult games can continue, even u-21 games but from minor downwards everything is cancelled. Adults must be immune from the virus lol.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1734 - 25/09/2020 14:28:29    2294036

Link

Milford retain senior status.
Dungloe drop down to an intermediate level club.

ryan (Donegal) - Posts: 490 - 27/09/2020 19:40:03    2294348

Link

Replying To ryan:  "Milford retain senior status.
Dungloe drop down to an intermediate level club."
Dungloe dropping down for the first time since 1987.

If anyone listened to Peter Boyles post match interview at the weekend talking about the hardship involved in Aodh Rua getting back to Senior level it would'nt take a genuis to work out that it is much more likely that Dungloe end up in the Junior Championship in the coming years than back in the senior.

There is nothing happening and no players coming through to address the slide. Yesterdays result was inevitable for at least 5 years.

ManusFromHeaven (Donegal) - Posts: 326 - 28/09/2020 09:56:24    2294437

Link

Replying To ManusFromHeaven:  "Dungloe dropping down for the first time since 1987.

If anyone listened to Peter Boyles post match interview at the weekend talking about the hardship involved in Aodh Rua getting back to Senior level it would'nt take a genuis to work out that it is much more likely that Dungloe end up in the Junior Championship in the coming years than back in the senior.

There is nothing happening and no players coming through to address the slide. Yesterdays result was inevitable for at least 5 years."
They'll have their work cut out for them. It could be a long time. I think claiming Dungloe more likely to end up junior is a bit of an exaggeration, but I don't see a route for them to return to senior anytime soon.

Dungloe have a few decent underage sides for men's and ladies. There's room for a culture change in the club. 'Ambition' isn't just a buzzword for club stalwarts at AGMs. It is something that needs to be nurtured in and driven by the kids.

SurelyToGod (Donegal) - Posts: 197 - 30/09/2020 23:34:56    2294956

Link

Replying To ManusFromHeaven:  "Dungloe dropping down for the first time since 1987.

There is nothing happening and no players coming through to address the slide. Yesterdays result was inevitable for at least 5 years."
This highlights something that I mentioned in the intermediate championship forum - the senior championship is swamped with intermediate-standard teams and the IFC has several teams who'd be more than comfortable at senior level. It's time for either a two-up-two-down system or else to bring back the system of tying it to league position. Having division three teams playing senior and two division 2 sides contesting the junior final is outrageous.

DL_Man (Donegal) - Posts: 89 - 01/10/2020 00:45:48    2294960

Link

Replying To DL_Man:  "This highlights something that I mentioned in the intermediate championship forum - the senior championship is swamped with intermediate-standard teams and the IFC has several teams who'd be more than comfortable at senior level. It's time for either a two-up-two-down system or else to bring back the system of tying it to league position. Having division three teams playing senior and two division 2 sides contesting the junior final is outrageous."
Dungloe are the embodiment of the above statement. They have ceased to be a senior standard team since the departure of Adrian Sweeney as a force from the club scene which must be 6 or 7 years ago now.

Dungloe could have been relegated in any of those years save for a standalone win here or there which spared them given the fact that to go down you basically need a whitewash of defeats which this year they did achieve.

2 up 2 down would certainly refresh the senior championship and would prevent the likes of Dungloe having prolonged and undeserved stays at Senior level on the default account that ONE team was worse any given year.

The only concern is would the 2 up nature of the intermediate championship, detract somewhat from the winner takes all element of the intermediate final? I think its something that should be at least experimented with.

ManusFromHeaven (Donegal) - Posts: 326 - 01/10/2020 10:04:52    2294984

Link

Replying To ManusFromHeaven:  "Dungloe are the embodiment of the above statement. They have ceased to be a senior standard team since the departure of Adrian Sweeney as a force from the club scene which must be 6 or 7 years ago now.

Dungloe could have been relegated in any of those years save for a standalone win here or there which spared them given the fact that to go down you basically need a whitewash of defeats which this year they did achieve.

2 up 2 down would certainly refresh the senior championship and would prevent the likes of Dungloe having prolonged and undeserved stays at Senior level on the default account that ONE team was worse any given year.

The only concern is would the 2 up nature of the intermediate championship, detract somewhat from the winner takes all element of the intermediate final? I think its something that should be at least experimented with."
2 up 2 down seems fairer.

The problem you haven't addressed in the post is that the departure of Adrian Sweeney as a force from the club scene 6 or 7 years ago wasn't the end of him and other men in their late 30s/early 40s remaining as the core of the senior team until 2 years ago.

SurelyToGod (Donegal) - Posts: 197 - 01/10/2020 11:34:43    2295021

Link

Replying To SurelyToGod:  "2 up 2 down seems fairer.

The problem you haven't addressed in the post is that the departure of Adrian Sweeney as a force from the club scene 6 or 7 years ago wasn't the end of him and other men in their late 30s/early 40s remaining as the core of the senior team until 2 years ago."
Yeah i'm just talking in the context of it being 6 or 7 years ago since Dungloe were able to hold there own at Senior Level somewhat and were still relying on the likes of Adrian, Raymond, Shaun Sharkey as these men turned 40. These guys were never replaced and as soon as they departed the scene the relegation occurred but in truth they were spared by good fortunate for most of the last 5 years that there was always 1 who had a worse campaign and took the drop.

ManusFromHeaven (Donegal) - Posts: 326 - 01/10/2020 12:34:36    2295035

Link

I've heard this argument about the "two-up" from the intermediate championship potentially taking away from the spectacle of the final but I really don't think that holds any weight. Surely the prospect of a championship title and a run in the Ulster championship is enough of an incentive for any team. Do people really think that 2 teams are going to go into an IFC final and not do everything they can to win it?

DL_Man (Donegal) - Posts: 89 - 01/10/2020 13:13:58    2295046

Link