Donegal Forum

Senior Championship

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I still can't see the game going ahead. No need for the blame game this virus can be picked up anywhere. Hopefully the player concerned makes a full recovery.. . Did I read somewhere clubs have to be finished by end of September so as to release there players back to the county set up.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 888 - 22/09/2020 13:16:53    2293556

Link

Replying To gunman:  "I don't understand when you say "the players picked up the virus during the testing of the county panel".If the virus was detected when the county got them tested first day back they obviously had the virus before the county squad came back."
It wasn't their first back sadly. Officially yes, unofficially no.

fionmaccumhaill (Donegal) - Posts: 21 - 22/09/2020 13:44:49    2293565

Link

Word is that the final will now be played on Wed week.

MuckrossHead (Donegal) - Posts: 4986 - 22/09/2020 16:05:26    2293599

Link

Replying To fionmaccumhaill:  "Sorry but its not the same. This window was supposed to be so that clubs could play their championship before the resumption of county football. These players picked up the Corona virus during the testing of the county panel. This testing was convened before the championship final was played. Now that these players have tested positive, their clubs can't get together, train or in any way get ready for the biggest game in the club calendar. All of their team mates have had to be tested. They are off work. This is a pandemic not "any other type of illness" as you so glibly put it. These are not low level isolated cases. These are cases where the positive player has been in contact with large groups. Have you not learned anything since March?? But to finish your statement off with "If we want sport, we are going to have to handle low level cases associated with it" really takes the biscuit. Please explain what you mean by "low level cases"??"
You know exactly what i mean by low level case- numerically.

I'm willing to bet that the player/players testing positive are asymptomatic and were only aware they were positive because of a scheduled test with the county squad. Otherwise, if feeling ill or unwell they would not even have been near a training camp.

If actual testing had been taking place all summer on the club scene, the championship would not have been competed at ALL because there would have been many instances of positive tests from asymptomatic players and if the flag went up every time this happened to have a 2 week break there would have been NO championship completed at all.

This is an unfortunate incident but Sundays game must proceed as planned provided the numbers remain low enough to have viable game.

ManusFromHeaven (Donegal) - Posts: 326 - 22/09/2020 16:15:24    2293600

Link

Replying To MuckrossHead:  "Word is that the final will now be played on Wed week."
Where have you heard that? Doesn't make much sense pushing it out by 3 days.. and on midweek.

You also said 4 days ago that someone on the NC team tested positive for Covid. Maybe the word is, your news isn't too reliable?

"Word going round that a NC player has tested positive for Coronavirus.
Whole squad supposedly in for testing tomorrow."

FootballGuy (Donegal) - Posts: 111 - 22/09/2020 16:38:39    2293602

Link

@Manus From Heaven, Hard to imagine how your on here calling for the game to go ahead as planned. Are you some kind of a surgeon general, with the adage I'm ok to hell with everyone else. The damage on county final day with positive players on one or both sides could become a whole new pandemic. Surely the CCC are not that twisted and ruthless that they can't see the error of their ways in trying to go ahead with the game. Wait it out until Those positive are quarantined and ok to play and it's a level playin field for both teams!

thelowball (USA) - Posts: 287 - 22/09/2020 16:53:01    2293605

Link

Replying To ManusFromHeaven:  "You know exactly what i mean by low level case- numerically.

I'm willing to bet that the player/players testing positive are asymptomatic and were only aware they were positive because of a scheduled test with the county squad. Otherwise, if feeling ill or unwell they would not even have been near a training camp.

If actual testing had been taking place all summer on the club scene, the championship would not have been competed at ALL because there would have been many instances of positive tests from asymptomatic players and if the flag went up every time this happened to have a 2 week break there would have been NO championship completed at all.

This is an unfortunate incident but Sundays game must proceed as planned provided the numbers remain low enough to have viable game."
Your right about club championship not being completed if there were testing between games. This case only came to light because he was a county player and he was tested. How many club players have or had it that didn't even know. I see a hotel in Glenties closed today because one of the staff has it. So Covid is in the Glenties and kilcar areas. It's reported now that the final could be rescheduled for Wednesday the 7th of October..

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 888 - 22/09/2020 17:07:11    2293608

Link

Replying To ManusFromHeaven:  "You know exactly what i mean by low level case- numerically.

This is an unfortunate incident but Sundays game must proceed as planned provided the numbers remain low enough to have viable game."
I genuinely have no idea if you're saying that the GAA/County Board are wrong for not adequately testing but following guidelines during the summer or if you are saying the GAA/County Board are wrong for testing a little bit more and loosely ignoring guidelines now.

If players weren't asymptomatically positive and playing games during the summer then we might not be seeing the severe rise in cases today.

SurelyToGod (Donegal) - Posts: 197 - 22/09/2020 17:48:23    2293614

Link

Game officially postponed until 7th of October. Finally some bit of sense from the county board.

DL_Man (Donegal) - Posts: 89 - 22/09/2020 18:00:19    2293616

Link

Replying To FootballGuy:  "Where have you heard that? Doesn't make much sense pushing it out by 3 days.. and on midweek.

You also said 4 days ago that someone on the NC team tested positive for Covid. Maybe the word is, your news isn't too reliable?

"Word going round that a NC player has tested positive for Coronavirus.
Whole squad supposedly in for testing tomorrow.""
By Wed week I meant next Wed week, my bad.

MuckrossHead (Donegal) - Posts: 4986 - 22/09/2020 21:11:39    2293640

Link

I really think the likelihood of this game being played in two weeks is slim. The precedent has been set now that if 1 players gets it then it will have to be called off and they have to keep testing both clubs now because they can't risk it being spread during the game. This has really made me doubt there being a full inter county championship this year.

Surprised they went with a mid week game tbh.

naomh_conaill_4 (Donegal) - Posts: 364 - 23/09/2020 08:56:29    2293682

Link

Firstly, I wish the Kilcar player a speedy and safe recovery. But what's to say one of our players (NC) contacts the virus 3/4 days before the rescheduled final. Will it be rescheduled again or be played?

tidytownman (Donegal) - Posts: 230 - 23/09/2020 09:06:02    2293684

Link

Such a shame that the game had to be postponed with us so near the end of the championship. We have done remarkably well to get so many games played considering the situation with covid. I hope the players who tested positive are doing ok. It could be really difficult to get this game played at all with the inter-county season looming. With so many cases in Donegal, there is always a chance that a player will test positive leading up to the 7th October.

Reading some of the posts regarding county training, I don't believe there is any evidence that any player got covid during one of these sessions. In fact I haven't heard of one single case of someone picking up covid during a match or training session. Travelling to and from matches is a different story.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1734 - 23/09/2020 09:31:15    2293689

Link

Replying To SurelyToGod:  "I genuinely have no idea if you're saying that the GAA/County Board are wrong for not adequately testing but following guidelines during the summer or if you are saying the GAA/County Board are wrong for testing a little bit more and loosely ignoring guidelines now.

If players weren't asymptomatically positive and playing games during the summer then we might not be seeing the severe rise in cases today."
I'm saying the whole thing was a shambles with no middle ground. Chanced it and ran an entire Championship at all levels for adult men and women with NO testing whatsoever- happy to hammer on provided no TESTS returned positive when clearly there would have been asymptomatic cases in ALL clubs had testing been a requirement to play.

Now all of a sudden its sheer panic stations because 1 case has returned positive owning to a test taking at senior county leve (not a test taken because of ill health)l and the is game off.

My opinion is that there is NO greater public health risk playing this game (without the one player) than chancing the arm all summer playing games with no testing whatsoever.

Surely people can see a middle ground has to be found. We played risk all summer, now its extreme caution. Middle ground please folks. An All Ireland Championship will not be able to proceed with this mindset.

As we are seeing in professional football in England, the positive player has to be taken out of things and the game continues- example being West Ham who lastnight played despite manager and 2 players testing positive late in the afternoon!

ManusFromHeaven (Donegal) - Posts: 326 - 23/09/2020 09:48:48    2293694

Link

No complaints with game being off right decision but to play it 10 days before the Tyrone league game is an insult to the county team. This means that Donegal can't get there full squad together till a week before the game and two weeks before cship an absolute insult to a team who has given the county so much joy. The big problem was the championship structure this year. Which to be fair on any other year would be brilliant but to add an extra game on by playing this league system where they should be having less games was the big problem. We all knew that it was going to be a tight schedule but it didn't make sense to put an extra round of games on.?look at Tyrone they played knockout football and it was real championship football and there sitting back now getting ready for there two big games with us, Micky Harte must be a happy man.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 888 - 23/09/2020 10:47:45    2293709

Link

Replying To ManusFromHeaven:  "I'm saying the whole thing was a shambles with no middle ground. Chanced it and ran an entire Championship at all levels for adult men and women with NO testing whatsoever- happy to hammer on provided no TESTS returned positive when clearly there would have been asymptomatic cases in ALL clubs had testing been a requirement to play.

Now all of a sudden its sheer panic stations because 1 case has returned positive owning to a test taking at senior county leve (not a test taken because of ill health)l and the is game off.

My opinion is that there is NO greater public health risk playing this game (without the one player) than chancing the arm all summer playing games with no testing whatsoever.

Surely people can see a middle ground has to be found. We played risk all summer, now its extreme caution. Middle ground please folks. An All Ireland Championship will not be able to proceed with this mindset.

As we are seeing in professional football in England, the positive player has to be taken out of things and the game continues- example being West Ham who lastnight played despite manager and 2 players testing positive late in the afternoon!"
Thanks for clarification, I may have missed a point in your posts hammering your view home. I agree with the first half of this anyway. The reality is that we currently have an incomparable amount of confirmed positive cases in the county. Yes, some people may have been asymptomatic during the summer, but far far fewer than are asymptomatic in the county today.

When you mention professional football in England, I also think they have a lot of questions to answer. E.g. Leyton Orient have had 18 players and staff test positive since the weekend. They were only tested because Spurs paid for their testing before League Cup match yesterday. Leyton Orient are a professional football club in the Football League. There is no mandatory testing for League 2. They can't afford that. It's only the elite clubs that have mandatory testing.

Can the GAA afford to test players and staff robustly?

SurelyToGod (Donegal) - Posts: 197 - 23/09/2020 10:48:28    2293710

Link

Replying To SurelyToGod:  "Thanks for clarification, I may have missed a point in your posts hammering your view home. I agree with the first half of this anyway. The reality is that we currently have an incomparable amount of confirmed positive cases in the county. Yes, some people may have been asymptomatic during the summer, but far far fewer than are asymptomatic in the county today.

When you mention professional football in England, I also think they have a lot of questions to answer. E.g. Leyton Orient have had 18 players and staff test positive since the weekend. They were only tested because Spurs paid for their testing before League Cup match yesterday. Leyton Orient are a professional football club in the Football League. There is no mandatory testing for League 2. They can't afford that. It's only the elite clubs that have mandatory testing.

Can the GAA afford to test players and staff robustly?"
Whats the actual charter here? If a Donegal or Tyrone player get a positive covid result in the days leading up to the game is that the game off?? What if it happens in the lead up to the rearranged game?? Off again?

If that's the case the All Ireland Championship will not take place at all.

On the absolute face of it- you cannot hold a championship, and then cancel matches with every singular positive test. There has got to be a greater threshold of positive cases that renders a game postponed. Fixtures have got to be more robust than being off at the drop of a hat.

ManusFromHeaven (Donegal) - Posts: 326 - 23/09/2020 11:05:43    2293714

Link

Replying To rorysboys:  "No complaints with game being off right decision but to play it 10 days before the Tyrone league game is an insult to the county team. This means that Donegal can't get there full squad together till a week before the game and two weeks before cship an absolute insult to a team who has given the county so much joy. The big problem was the championship structure this year. Which to be fair on any other year would be brilliant but to add an extra game on by playing this league system where they should be having less games was the big problem. We all knew that it was going to be a tight schedule but it didn't make sense to put an extra round of games on.?look at Tyrone they played knockout football and it was real championship football and there sitting back now getting ready for there two big games with us, Micky Harte must be a happy man."
I certainly agree with you Rorys. The confusing league system they came up with went on too long. I also don't understand why after having games week to week there was then a 2 week break between quarter finals and semi finals and again to the final. The championship was far too drawn out than it needed to be hence the situation we are in.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2480 - 23/09/2020 12:01:24    2293732

Link

Replying To ManusFromHeaven:  "Whats the actual charter here? If a Donegal or Tyrone player get a positive covid result in the days leading up to the game is that the game off?? What if it happens in the lead up to the rearranged game?? Off again?

If that's the case the All Ireland Championship will not take place at all.

On the absolute face of it- you cannot hold a championship, and then cancel matches with every singular positive test. There has got to be a greater threshold of positive cases that renders a game postponed. Fixtures have got to be more robust than being off at the drop of a hat."
I stand to be corrected but think if an inter-county team has a positive case before a championship match then they are thrown out. This will just encourage teams to not test at all or try to hide positive cases. It will be extremely difficult to run the inter-county championship now with so many cases in the country.

I would agree with other posters that the club championship was too drawn out, we could have had it finished weeks ago.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1734 - 23/09/2020 13:25:29    2293755

Link

Replying To Green_Gold:  "I stand to be corrected but think if an inter-county team has a positive case before a championship match then they are thrown out. This will just encourage teams to not test at all or try to hide positive cases. It will be extremely difficult to run the inter-county championship now with so many cases in the country.

I would agree with other posters that the club championship was too drawn out, we could have had it finished weeks ago."
Covid case = elimination from the Championship, is not a viable championship at all and should be scrapped.

A nonsense like that could see Leitrim or Sligo as default All Ireland Champions as they have the least cases nationwide.

Is it a football championship we want to a Covid Cup?

ManusFromHeaven (Donegal) - Posts: 326 - 23/09/2020 14:22:20    2293768

Link