Derry Forum

Derry V Armagh

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Well done yesterday and best of luck in final.

Veritas (Armagh) - Posts: 51 - 20/06/2011 13:24:18    960892

Link

I think we should be thankful for the fans we have and forget about the ones we dont have. One point i'd like to bring up is i think a few drunk Armagh fans thought they were playing "London" yesterday as i got a few hurls of abuse thrown at me, well they might get there wish now of playing "London" in the backdoor!! I dont usually like to pick out one player for praise as everyone played well with a real team spirit in evidence yesterday but Micky Friel stand up son you deserve a big pat on the back, well played big man! You stuck it up the na sayers crying looking the big doc back. (Don't get me wrong Fergal has put it in for Derry over the last 10 yrs but it's now time to move on with the players we have got)

brolly_4_pres (Derry) - Posts: 356 - 20/06/2011 13:30:39    960899

Link

congrats derry on a very well deserved victory we had no answer to ya,s . seen them drunken fools myself sure they even turned on their own when asked to stop bothering derry followers . its the downside to bringing games to clones felt casement would,ve been the best place to hold it but ya,s are in the final and i hope ya,s go on and win it . hope we can regroup through the qualifers like down did last year .

appleboy (Armagh) - Posts: 479 - 20/06/2011 14:39:40    960998

Link

Well done to Derry. They have some lovely footballers who are willing to play an exciting brand of attacking football when allowed. A county with as much flare and dynamism as you should never have been adopting defensive tactics. Recent seasons were lost on those modern philosophies but at least this goes some way to making up for all that semi-final heartache.

I hope Brennan is able to keep the players grounded as well. I'm sure egos will have been inflated yesterday but it's important not to get carried away particularly as the opposition is likely to be wily old Tyrone. Nobody operates as shrewdly as them and you can be gauranteed that they live off complacent opponents.

Loyal2TheRoyal (Meath) - Posts: 4522 - 20/06/2011 14:53:17    961019

Link

Congrats to Derr, played very well, but the Ref had a big bearing on the game in giving Yellow Cards to Armagh backs so early in the game, meant they had to stand back from their men or get sent off.
Bradley drew several frees from Brendan Donaghy,, then ran complaining to the Umpires who called the Ref and Brendan was Yellow carded, Bradley himself should have been penalised for pretending to be fouled.
Your Manager never gave the Linesman a minutes peace in the first half and as for Lynchs goal, "throw" wasnt spotted by the Ref, and how many steps is Gilligan allowed, he overstepped the mark and got away with it.
Get the same Ref and you will win the Al Ireland.

sam02 (Tyrone) - Posts: 643 - 20/06/2011 15:19:50    961062

Link

20/06/2011 14:39:40
appleboy
County: Armagh

congrats derry on a very well deserved victory we had no answer to ya,s . seen them drunken fools myself sure they even turned on their own when asked to stop bothering derry followers . its the downside to bringing games to clones felt casement would,ve been the best place to hold it but ya,s are in the final and i hope ya,s go on and win it . hope we can regroup through the qualifers like down did last year .

Have to agree there about the fans starting that No London in Armagh craic, But sure you get them everywhere, Just glad they piped down at the final whistle and we could walk in peace, The majority of Derry fans just walked on like wee sheep to the slaughter house with their heads down before the game, Fair play apple boy, best of luck to Armagh in the qualifiers, Great Armagh fan base there yesterday pity about the Derry support but without a doubt all the fair weathered fans will be out for the final.

Orlaith (Derry) - Posts: 4282 - 20/06/2011 15:24:43    961071

Link

Orlaith you really do need to get over yourself. If we give you a Derrys number one supporter award and maybe a badge to go with it, would there be any chance you might change the record ( your prev 3 posts )

idirandalinn (Donegal) - Posts: 155 - 20/06/2011 16:20:38    961169

Link

i dont know why people keep bringing up our support, i have followed Derry for years this is no surprise we all know we have a small fan base lets get on with it no point crying about it, plus the only other fans i have ever heard bring up the "london" thing is Tyrone no one else and i would never have thought Armagh fans would want to be put in the same bracket as Tyrone. As for the ref the referee does not put the ball in the net or over the bar. Armagh were not at the races yesterday and didnt fight to the final whistle and if you think your out of the ulster championship because of ref your deluded. If you think everything is honky dory and its only the ref to blame you wont go far in the qualifiers POR got his tactics wrong the ref didn't pick the Armagh team, vinny martin was all over the shop, you couldn't win ball in midfield and Derry where more hungry to win the dirty ball round the middle this built a platform to provide quick ball in to our inside forwards.

brolly_4_pres (Derry) - Posts: 356 - 20/06/2011 16:29:12    961181

Link

ohhhh! jaysis excuse us, well I'd just like to see more people supporting Derry like, it drives the team on, Im not saying im the number 1 fan...

Orlaith (Derry) - Posts: 4282 - 20/06/2011 16:38:40    961193

Link

sam02
County: Armagh

961062 Congrats to Derr, played very well, but the Ref had a big bearing on the game in giving Yellow Cards to Armagh backs so early in the game, meant they had to stand back from their men or get sent off.
Bradley drew several frees from Brendan Donaghy,, then ran complaining to the Umpires who called the Ref and Brendan was Yellow carded, Bradley himself should have been penalised for pretending to be fouled.
Your Manager never gave the Linesman a minutes peace in the first half and as for Lynchs goal, "throw" wasnt spotted by the Ref, and how many steps is Gilligan allowed, he overstepped the mark and got away with it.
Get the same Ref and you will win the Al Ireland.

You sure you watched the same game as the rest of us;
Derry backs also got yellow carded early in the game and was partly the reason Oggy McAlary was substituted
Eoin Bradley was fouled, repeatedly, by Donaghy...and then McKeever... and then Mallon.....
Is that not what a managers job is? To point out where his players are being fouled as much as possible to get them to do something about it?
Dont know about the "throw ball" cant remember that so cant comment.
Dont recall ever seeing Gilligan overcarrying, certainly not blatantly.

Armagh got the tactics wrong yesterday, far, far, far, far too much space in front of Bradley and Deets. Footballing suicide to leave them that much room!

bosch (Derry) - Posts: 873 - 20/06/2011 16:40:25    961195

Link

MickeyMouse
County: Derry

945136 Another semi final defeat on its way. More of the same as we don't have the players, why can't halve of ye not see it. It would be fantastic to do it, but it aint gonna happen.

Well MickeyMouse - so much for your negative prediction! Think I'll take your predictions with a pinch of salt in future!

topcat1 (Derry) - Posts: 25 - 20/06/2011 16:50:05    961214

Link

Who do fellow doire gaels think we will play in the final ,do you prefer the darkside or mc guiness Donegal, i dont think we have played tyrone in a final i think we would be up for it.

93vintageyear (Derry) - Posts: 301 - 20/06/2011 17:20:19    961263

Link

Congratulations Doire, thoroughly deserved victory, someone mentioned the ref, if it had of been an Armagh ref we still would have been beaten. Good big strong team, hope youse can go on and will Ulster now. Apologies for the Armagh "fans" yesterday and their pathetic chanting, thankfully prob not see them to next year!

sean og (Armagh) - Posts: 1010 - 20/06/2011 17:26:12    961273

Link

Orlaith is correct in what she was saying ,she wants derry supporters 2 get of there backsides and support their county and stop being critical armchair suuporters,there is nothing worse than gloryhunters jumpn on bandwagon when we get 2 a final.Support your county during lows as well as good days ,we will multiply our fan base now were in the final.

93vintageyear (Derry) - Posts: 301 - 20/06/2011 17:44:05    961288

Link

Fair play on your win.Great game of ball to watch yesterday free flowing football it had everything great scores quick hand passing and great movement off the ball a delight to watch.Play like that in the final and you,s will be hard to beat...

DUB1 (Dublin) - Posts: 5583 - 20/06/2011 17:56:25    961302

Link

As we rose to applaud Skinner off the field yesterday my son turned to me and said, 'Daddy, this is the best match ever.' Derry's last Ulster Final appearance was a fortnight or so before he was born. Magic.

doiregael2 (Derry) - Posts: 334 - 20/06/2011 19:29:31    961377

Link

Doiregael2 - Nice comment, that's what the GAA is all about, congrats on your win yesterday, lets hope our boys come through on Sunday to play yous in the final. If it turns out anything like the league game it would be a cracker AND i'd take the same result. I think we'll be up against it on Sunday though and IF we do turn over Tyrone it'll just be by a point or so.

Tir Conaill Abu (Donegal) - Posts: 1586 - 20/06/2011 21:55:54    961527

Link

Due to work committments I never got to the semi-final and the first championship match including back door games I have missed in 15 years. Had too watch it on tv and it will be the last time I ever watch my county playing on tv. I missed the buzz pre and post match and thats something you can only get by being there.

I was as proud as punch yesterday and I still am today, a lot of these players have been rightly\wrongly maligned in the past of being average footballers and some not fit to wear the jersey. Well yesterday we say the same maligned footballers produce a team performace full of committment and skill. I for one certainly new this team had ability but it just needed someone to instill that belief and John Brennan has done that.

It's a long time since a team entered the pitch in Clones and played football like that and we must give praise when it's due. Hopefully we can reproduce for the final.

All the hardened, loyal Derry fans that graced the terraces over the bad times this one was for us.

OakGael (Derry) - Posts: 293 - 20/06/2011 21:56:34    961528

Link

You have to have experienced the low points and even lower points to enjoy this new wave of pride and optimisium we have again! Lets just hope we get a clean bill of health from the up coming club games, first time in a long long time i've seen a panel so united and happy together. Brennan has us all singing from the same hymn sheet but lets start from scratch again Armagh's behind us now lets draw a line and move on to the next one.

This_Year (Derry) - Posts: 105 - 21/06/2011 08:58:03    961552

Link

A jaysis would the "hardened loyal Derry fans" get over themselves.
Not everyone has the time to head to county matches on Sundays.

The amount of matches i play/ train for between hurling and football the county weekend is the one weekend where i can relax at home and do the things ordinary people take for granted. Its nice to get to enjoy a Sunday dinner at home and watch the match on the TV.
Il be there at the Final cos it is special.

bosch (Derry) - Posts: 873 - 21/06/2011 09:00:49    961553

Link