Carlow Forum

Footballers 2017

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To dead_as_dodos:  "Welcome back Wonder. Think you're being overoptimistic barrowsider.Realistically we are still 3 forwards and 3 backs short of a good fifteen, it's too big a gap to bridge imo.Now if only we could get benny K, gahan,danny thompson, beaton from st.Andrews in we would be going places but wishful thinking i suppose."
no I wouldn't say I'm overly optimistic but certainly more so than I have been in previous years, the reason is I can actually see a system in place, now we may not like it to watch and it was shown up against London in the first half but they altered it slightly for limerick and a Cpl of positional changes improved it, we are moving in the right direction, but results need to reflect it, even if we won all remaining games promotion would not be guaranteed as it stands, now that could change, anyway il take a little bit of optimism now, it might not last but il enjoy it while it does

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1308 - 28/02/2017 20:49:04    1962310

Link

Adverse weather forecast for today Friday and tomorrow along the entire west coast and a particularly bad forecast for Sunday may see the following games at risk!!!

Roscommon v Kerry......... Kerry

Derry v Down............. Derry

Clare v Cork............. Cork

Sligo v Laois.......... Sligo

Leitrim v Carlow......... Leitrim

Limerick v London......... Limerick

fullbach (Carlow) - Posts: 257 - 03/03/2017 12:58:52    1963150

Link

Does anyone know if kclr has commentary on the Carlow game today in Leitrim?

dcarlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 155 - 05/03/2017 08:55:28    1963735

Link

Terrible result in Leitrim today. We are going backwards. We won up there last year by 3 points. More swarm defence. Horrible to watch.

ontheball85 (Carlow) - Posts: 222 - 05/03/2017 16:57:14    1963919

Link

Replying To ontheball85:  "Terrible result in Leitrim today. We are going backwards. We won up there last year by 3 points. More swarm defence. Horrible to watch."
ontheball85. I would say it was more disappointing than terrible, but I will admit I wasn't at the game all I'm going on is passing comments and the final score, so if you compare these two results, - - - -

Leitrim 2-14 Carlow 2-12, - - - Disappointing result.
Armagh 6-22 Offaly 0-10, - - - Terrible result.
Now what do you say. ? - We have improved however small that may be.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 2161 - 05/03/2017 17:35:25    1963963

Link

Very disappointing again, decision making on the field was horrendous. A free to win it late on and the captain comes over to kick it of his bad side after just missing on the other side. Misplaced passes right through the game, Leitrim were no better, as hard as the limerick game was to watch this was appalling, add a very picky ref to the scenario then you get one ugly game. Another year gone

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1308 - 05/03/2017 18:11:52    1964003

Link

Replying To Barrowsider:  "Very disappointing again, decision making on the field was horrendous. A free to win it late on and the captain comes over to kick it of his bad side after just missing on the other side. Misplaced passes right through the game, Leitrim were no better, as hard as the limerick game was to watch this was appalling, add a very picky ref to the scenario then you get one ugly game. Another year gone"
Given that Leitrim are useless... would Carlow have done better playing 15 v 15?

CARPS (Carlow) - Posts: 352 - 05/03/2017 18:26:22    1964023

Link

Replying To CARPS:  "Given that Leitrim are useless... would Carlow have done better playing 15 v 15?"
Probably not, bad performance is just that, won't matter what tactics or game plan you deploy as performance is not there

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1308 - 05/03/2017 18:47:08    1964041

Link

Went to the game today. Disappointing result no doubt about that.

One of the outstanding features was how bizarre the referee was. Where did they get him? Some really strange decisions that threw both teams and management. However he was bizarre for both teams and he wasn't the reason Carlow lost.

Carlow were poor at adapting to the conditions and it wasn't a good day for short kick outs and over elaborate passing. Those were exactly the tactics Carlow deployed. I think they lack the confidence to change the game plan even when it's an obvious move. Curiously, they competed well at the long kick outs when they deployed it. Then tragically they gave away about 1-2 from short kick outs alone.

To be fair though Carlow showed great heart and commitment to haul themselves back level after being 2-9 to 0-9 down mid way through the second half. Then when they looked to have the momentum to take the victory, a couple more errors and they lost it again. A bad game to lose.

There is improvement in these performances compared to previous years, that's obvious. I think this team is going in the right direction. A shame they didn't get the result.

Blackbogger (Carlow) - Posts: 162 - 05/03/2017 23:12:46    1964271

Link

Replying To Blackbogger:  "Went to the game today. Disappointing result no doubt about that.

One of the outstanding features was how bizarre the referee was. Where did they get him? Some really strange decisions that threw both teams and management. However he was bizarre for both teams and he wasn't the reason Carlow lost.

Carlow were poor at adapting to the conditions and it wasn't a good day for short kick outs and over elaborate passing. Those were exactly the tactics Carlow deployed. I think they lack the confidence to change the game plan even when it's an obvious move. Curiously, they competed well at the long kick outs when they deployed it. Then tragically they gave away about 1-2 from short kick outs alone.

To be fair though Carlow showed great heart and commitment to haul themselves back level after being 2-9 to 0-9 down mid way through the second half. Then when they looked to have the momentum to take the victory, a couple more errors and they lost it again. A bad game to lose.

There is improvement in these performances compared to previous years, that's obvious. I think this team is going in the right direction. A shame they didn't get the result."
Fair comment bb.What I can't get my head around is the persisting with the short kick out.We simply can't master it.We have now conceded 4-6 in 4 games.that's promotion gone right there.inane stuff.

pennypincher (Carlow) - Posts: 777 - 06/03/2017 10:29:49    1964398

Link

Whats Carlow's chances against Waterford.?

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 2161 - 16/03/2017 18:44:28    1967659

Link

- - - - where have all our posters gone, short lived interest. ??

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 2161 - 18/03/2017 19:41:34    1968208

Link

Replying To supersub15:  "- - - - where have all our posters gone, short lived interest. ??"
Gone.Just like promotion.

pennypincher (Carlow) - Posts: 777 - 18/03/2017 22:00:43    1968285

Link

Oh dear, we have the Losers mentality on here in spades.

Wexford and Westmeath still have to play and we too have Wexford to play still.

Granted the results haven't been what we would have wanted ideally. But come on, we keep saying we want the team to have a wibeing mentality, so why not start here - on the forum that purports to support Carlow footballers.

Blackbogger (Carlow) - Posts: 162 - 18/03/2017 23:30:35    1968340

Link

Couldn't make it last night but good win and it's been a while since we've beaten Waterford as convincingly as this. Whilst the London performance and result was dreadful and Leitrim one disappointing there is no doubt for me this team is improving. Looking at the renaming fixtures promotion looks highly unlikely even with us winning our remaining two games. However we may well finish third which is progress.

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1242 - 19/03/2017 08:52:42    1968387

Link

Replying To pennypincher:  "Gone.Just like promotion."
- - - yes, a losers mentality, no pre match comments at all, it's not all about promotion, progress first then promotion, because I work over here in the UK I find HS useful to keep in touch with gaelic games in particular "Live Match Tracker" but there wasn't one comment made about the Carlow v Waterford game on match tracker albeit one and the final score simply because it's div 4 football, so I asked the question about Carlow's chances against Waterford before the game, not one reply, enough said.
Post match comments "only" are insincere and shallow.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 2161 - 19/03/2017 10:33:43    1968416

Link

Replying To supersub15:  "- - - yes, a losers mentality, no pre match comments at all, it's not all about promotion, progress first then promotion, because I work over here in the UK I find HS useful to keep in touch with gaelic games in particular "Live Match Tracker" but there wasn't one comment made about the Carlow v Waterford game on match tracker albeit one and the final score simply because it's div 4 football, so I asked the question about Carlow's chances against Waterford before the game, not one reply, enough said.
Post match comments "only" are insincere and shallow."
Instead of following it on matchtraker you could have listened to it online on KCLR supersub, that is if you don't mind listening to irritating constant itrelavant references to the earlier rugby match and erroneous facts being thrown in including references to matches Carlow won in the past, which in fact they lost, and references to matches they lost, which in fact they won! Oh and course references to how Carlow never get fair play. In between all of that, there were occasional references to the match that they were supposed to be commentating on.

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1242 - 19/03/2017 12:52:54    1968459

Link

Replying To Onion Breath:  "Instead of following it on matchtraker you could have listened to it online on KCLR supersub, that is if you don't mind listening to irritating constant itrelavant references to the earlier rugby match and erroneous facts being thrown in including references to matches Carlow won in the past, which in fact they lost, and references to matches they lost, which in fact they won! Oh and course references to how Carlow never get fair play. In between all of that, there were occasional references to the match that they were supposed to be commentating on."
Onion... don't mention the rugby... KCLR have to get rid of that commentator... I was driving to (ironically) Waterford on Saturday evening and listened to the game... he spoke more about rugby than football and mentioned Johnny Sexton and Joe Smith over 20 times each... But at least Carlow won so he didn't spend most of the rest of the time giving out about the referee.... I am not interested in Rugby, I didn't watch the game but I feel I know more about it than lads who played in it!... he was at the same crack during a hurling game I listened to last year... eventually I switched off and got reports off Waterford radio... it's dreadful... surely they can find someone who is interested in GAA?

CARPS (Carlow) - Posts: 352 - 19/03/2017 20:29:22    1968741

Link

Next up Wicklow, the table shows they are just as bad as London, we lost to London. If we cannot beat 1 of the 2 bottom teams in division 4, it will be a joke to say we are making progress. We Simply must beat Wicklow, give Wexford a run for their money, then we can consider calling this season progress

Gaaman1987 (Carlow) - Posts: 22 - 20/03/2017 20:47:19    1969294

Link

Replying To Gaaman1987:  "Next up Wicklow, the table shows they are just as bad as London, we lost to London. If we cannot beat 1 of the 2 bottom teams in division 4, it will be a joke to say we are making progress. We Simply must beat Wicklow, give Wexford a run for their money, then we can consider calling this season progress"
Well said gaarman

pennypincher (Carlow) - Posts: 777 - 20/03/2017 20:56:16    1969299

Link