Carlow Forum

Footballers 2017

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Anyone know when the team is being named? I can't imagine to many changes maybe Gannon will go midfield and bring in Moran. There will surely be a big crowd for this one you would think especially with a team similar to our own level giving us a great chance to get to the next round.

dcarlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 155 - 07/07/2017 08:10:21    2011808

Link

Brilliant brilliant!! Great win today..

iacob (Carlow) - Posts: 64 - 08/07/2017 16:44:57    2012380

Link

Congrats gentlemen. Keep it going, it's nice to see one team from this end doing well and resorting to the shite I just witnessed

wexcore (Wexford) - Posts: 734 - 08/07/2017 17:20:35    2012392

Link

I think the question needs to be asked... Are Carlow a better side around midfield without Brendan Murphy?... Is there a case to be made for throwing him at full forward in the future?... Where is less likely to be drawn in getting sent off?

CARPS (Carlow) - Posts: 352 - 08/07/2017 21:27:25    2012544

Link

Big improvement In the 2nd half saw carlow Over the line but against stronger opposition could have been in big trouble after the opening 20min. Would like to see them more clinical in front of goal. But over all who would have thought carlow would still be in the championship. Let's hope for another home draw and see what happens.

dcarlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 155 - 08/07/2017 21:46:30    2012566

Link

In an era when it's cool to whinge about trivial things and fail to recognise the good in other issues, may I compliment the staff associated with Carlow's Dr.Cullen Park on todays service.
I enquired during the week about wheelchair access to be given a detailed approach.
This mechanism excelled themselves today. Top notch service/courtesy - gentlemen to their boots.

Bad result on the pitch but the guys on the gates won me over.

Boxtyeater (Leitrim) - Posts: 633 - 08/07/2017 21:58:20    2012582

Link

Glad you enjoyed the day if not the result boxtyeater......... I really cant believe anyone can question the importance of bredan Murphy to this team. The first half today show's exactly how much we missed him at mid field. A betterbetter team would have destroyed us. With gannon and Sean Murphy playing so well brendangered Murphy at mid field would be perfect to win kick outs and set up attacks. Also we play a carry g game which he is perfect for. We do need to learn not to channel everything through him and he needs to be more disciplined but as we move on to play tougher teams he is still our main man.

Bimb (Carlow) - Posts: 434 - 08/07/2017 22:58:03    2012645

Link

Replying To Bimb:  "Glad you enjoyed the day if not the result boxtyeater......... I really cant believe anyone can question the importance of bredan Murphy to this team. The first half today show's exactly how much we missed him at mid field. A betterbetter team would have destroyed us. With gannon and Sean Murphy playing so well brendangered Murphy at mid field would be perfect to win kick outs and set up attacks. Also we play a carry g game which he is perfect for. We do need to learn not to channel everything through him and he needs to be more disciplined but as we move on to play tougher teams he is still our main man."
Super performance today, proud to be a Carlow man!!
We did very well in 2nd half considering we were not firing on all cylinders in the first 20 mins. Paul Broderick seemed to be having an off-day with his 5 wides in that period and then we also had 3 missed goal chances from John Murphy, Broderick and Shane Redmond. Leitrim however scored some great points from distance and were moving very well. We were standing too far back at this stage and not challenging........ down 2 points at halftime.

The 2nd half however was a different matter. Carlow upped the tempo and ran at Leitrim with superb play from Gannon, Sean Murphy, Ciaran Moran and many more. The system we are playing is now working well and players are more comfortable with it.

I have to say we now have size, physicality, speed and a high fitness level .... not seen in too many Carlow teams over the years.

Well done to the entire management and backroom team......I hope we appreciate what we have in these local guys!!!! We have tried outsiders - Liam Hayes, Anthony Rainbow, Luke Dempsey, and the rest.
Best of luck next weekend................I have a feeling there is more to come!!

novalis (Carlow) - Posts: 276 - 09/07/2017 01:12:54    2012717

Link

Replying To CARPS:  "I think the question needs to be asked... Are Carlow a better side around midfield without Brendan Murphy?... Is there a case to be made for throwing him at full forward in the future?... Where is less likely to be drawn in getting sent off?"
Carps, I made the same point to my brother on the way home yesterday re Brendan/traffic/fouling. A spell in the inside line might give us an outlet there for a while to allow our lads hit the odd high long ball in. I dunno do we go long with our own kick outs anymore even if we have him? Not too many anyhow as we ve so many bodies back in there. And as we are set up so defensive, a lot of other teams go short against us too - Leitrim did so a lot in second half yesterday.
But anyhow! What a great year. A great journey and compliments to the players, the management - as a fenagh man, look at what they have done to Sean Murphy in terms of his discipline and game play - wow!, And the much maligned "county board". We re all quick to slate them when things are going bad, so why not give them a clap on the back now??!.
We always had too much for Leitrim even when we were behind. We do look sharper and fitter which is good. Our game plan is effective with the players we have.
Great crowd, great craic. Roll on next weekend and no matter how this all ends, its the journey that counts!

old yellar (None) - Posts: 2624 - 09/07/2017 08:37:28    2012772

Link

Nice win again, the first half wasn't looking good for a long time but we managed to claw our way back into it and really when we got it back to a two point game it only looked like there could be one winner. The second half was great to watch, we attacked with great speed getting the right men on the ball all the time, we should have won by much more, one gripe I had was with the ref I think Sean Murphy was cynically fouled anytime he touched the ball, pulled down in front of the linesman in the first half, that must have been a black card, isn't that why they were introduced. Overall it was a great occasion and the sight of all the kids on the field both young and old :) to greet their hero's was fantastic

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1308 - 09/07/2017 09:25:03    2012796

Link

What a great performance yesterday in the 2nd half, while we didn't finish our chances in first half ( could have had 3 goals) the fact we were making those chances I was always confident we would win. Our game next week will almost certainly be on tv too as there only 2 football games on Saturday and there's no hurling on next weekend

Gaaman1987 (Carlow) - Posts: 22 - 09/07/2017 11:32:05    2012862

Link

Came out of NCP yesterday bursting with admiration for that second half performance. Those lads were class. Missing murphy, going 5 points down, missing Frees and goal chances but still cruised through. First half showed Leitrim were no mugs but my goodness what a second half. Can't wait for next week

Hometown45 (Carlow) - Posts: 199 - 09/07/2017 16:04:25    2013067

Link

I ve seen this team perform 5 times this year. Westmeath away in the league. Leitrim away in the league. Wexford in the first round, The Dubs and yesterday's game.

I'll probably be slated for saying this, but I think this team still doesn't realise how good they are.

If they could play a full match with the energy and enthusiasm they showed in the second half yesterday, not many teams would look forward to playing them! I really enjoyed the game and they deserved their win thoroughly.

We'll be playing a better team next time and hopefully that will bring out more from them.

Blackbogger (Carlow) - Posts: 162 - 09/07/2017 20:35:38    2013353

Link

Monaghan probably the hardest draw to get but at least we're at home hopefully the crowd will come out again like they did on Saturday and with Brendan back who knows what might happen.

dcarlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 155 - 10/07/2017 09:42:47    2013710

Link

Serious opposition. Play with passion and belief and see where that leaves us. Monaghan ate top 8 maybe even top 6 so its a real test of where we are at. No expectations here I just hope we go out and do well

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1308 - 10/07/2017 12:30:37    2013918

Link

Replying To Barrowsider:  "Serious opposition. Play with passion and belief and see where that leaves us. Monaghan ate top 8 maybe even top 6 so its a real test of where we are at. No expectations here I just hope we go out and do well"
if you want to reach the last twelve, you will have to beat at least one division one or two team... personally, I would have feared Tipp more... Armagh would have been the best but Monaghan is not the worst draw with our system...

CARPS (Carlow) - Posts: 352 - 10/07/2017 13:16:52    2013983

Link

So, we copped a good one with Monaghan.

Tipperary and Armagh both played Division 3 football this season. Tipp won it and Armagh finished third.

Monaghan played Division 1 football this year. Played seven matches and lost 2 of them. They finished in Joint 2nd behind the Dubs. We have one of the top teams in the country coming to NCP next Sunday. Paddypowers have priced Monaghan at 1/12 to win the game. I think we got the hardest draw by far. Only good thing is that it's a home draw. I think that gives you an idea of what we're up against.

Have we a chance? Of course we have. Will we beat them? Probably not.

All we can hope for is that management get the tactics right and the players get stuck in from the throw in. I believe both of these things will happen. You know, stranger things have happened and this is not a hopeless task. They won't like coming here and if we can give them a 'Welcome to Carlow' greeting (a la Roy Keane) in the opening minutes, you just never know.

Here's hoping!

Blackbogger (Carlow) - Posts: 162 - 10/07/2017 13:58:33    2014049

Link

I see the game is on sky as well.This should be there 2nd visit of the year but anyway. I wounder do we need the Dublin county board to approve the stand before sky sports can come down

dcarlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 155 - 10/07/2017 15:18:38    2014170

Link

Great win on Saturday after an awful first 20 mins. Thought Murphy, Ruth and gannon destroyed Leitrim in the second half and the full back line tightened up.

Rennick did very well when he came on and the tackling was as good as I've ever seen from a carlow team. Must have been a record number of turnovers for us.

Monaghan now at home which is the toughest draw but at home. Play like the second half and we have a chance.

Just great to win 3 championship matches and get this far. Big crowd needed on Saturday again.

carlovia (None) - Posts: 1187 - 10/07/2017 15:44:39    2014204

Link

Ciaran Moran gave Turlough something to think about on Saturday, scoring 1-2. Presumably Brendan Murphy will come back in, so who do people think will or should lose out?

I think the most plausible move would be for Alan Kelly to lose out and Gannon to move into the half forward line. I'd love to see Brendan in around the full forward line a bit too....

And who will replace Chris Crowley, who I presume is suspended? Plenty of options; his clubmates Conor Lawlor and Mark Rennick (who I thought did particularly well when he came in on Saturday), or Kieran Nolan who I really like and am always disappointed when he doesn't start.

Does anyone know what's behind Robbie Molloy replacing Craig Kearney in goal the last couple games?

thinlizzy (Carlow) - Posts: 263 - 11/07/2017 12:04:10    2014836

Link