Carlow Forum

Footballers 2017

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To yelowbelly:  "It's amazing how incidents that were deemed trivial 2 weeks ago are now "definite black card offences""
What are you talking about? What was deemed trivial two weeks ago?

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1242 - 04/06/2017 22:27:38    1994738

Link

Right, I was at the game and without the benefit of the action replay I made my comments on Saturday evening.

I've looked at the sky sports/you tube replays and two things come to mind. Firstly the replay doesn't show the shirt pulling by the Dublin player before the confrontation and therefore gives a slightly biased view of the incident. However, the hauling down of the Dublin player by B Murphy looks quite different to my view of it at the time and I accept that it is entirely unjustifiable and it was a correct decision that he received the second yellow. There you are, I made a mistake!

I think the reactions I have received from our Wexford neighbours may have some credence in the light of the above. They had a similar experience in our game with them.

I don't often admit I'm wrong (ask my missus!), but on this occasion I think I'll just spit it out.

Blackbogger (Carlow) - Posts: 162 - 04/06/2017 22:38:11    1994743

Link

Replying To Blackbogger:  "Right, I was at the game and without the benefit of the action replay I made my comments on Saturday evening.

I've looked at the sky sports/you tube replays and two things come to mind. Firstly the replay doesn't show the shirt pulling by the Dublin player before the confrontation and therefore gives a slightly biased view of the incident. However, the hauling down of the Dublin player by B Murphy looks quite different to my view of it at the time and I accept that it is entirely unjustifiable and it was a correct decision that he received the second yellow. There you are, I made a mistake!

I think the reactions I have received from our Wexford neighbours may have some credence in the light of the above. They had a similar experience in our game with them.

I don't often admit I'm wrong (ask my missus!), but on this occasion I think I'll just spit it out."
Fair play Blackbogger, it takes a big man to admit when he's wrong !!!!!
Here's to a long sunny south-east footballing summer for both of us

yelowbelly (Wexford) - Posts: 383 - 05/06/2017 07:15:15    1994834

Link

Is Brendan Murphy suspended for the next match? I am hearing conflicting accounts?

Bainisteoir (National) - Posts: 480 - 05/06/2017 11:18:39    1994911

Link

Replying To Bainisteoir:  "Is Brendan Murphy suspended for the next match? I am hearing conflicting accounts?"
I heard he was gone anyway. But again heard other stories too.

Came away from PL happy I must say. All things considered it was as much as you could ask for. Some things went wrong and the scoring threat wasn't great but at the end of the day you are playing one of the best teams of all time. They may not have been as sharp as they will in August but they were still by far and away the best team this group of Carlow lads ever played. I'm really looking forward to the qualifiers. I think they will learn a lot from that experience

Hometown45 (Carlow) - Posts: 199 - 05/06/2017 11:51:56    1994925

Link

Replying To Bainisteoir:  "Is Brendan Murphy suspended for the next match? I am hearing conflicting accounts?"
I can't recall if he received a double yellow in any league game this season? Or if he got a black card.

What's the rule - is it two double yellows = one game ban, or one black card and one double yellow = one game ban, or two black cards = one game ban - or is all three?

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1242 - 05/06/2017 13:04:34    1994977

Link

Replying To Onion Breath:  "I can't recall if he received a double yellow in any league game this season? Or if he got a black card.

What's the rule - is it two double yellows = one game ban, or one black card and one double yellow = one game ban, or two black cards = one game ban - or is all three?"
Commentator was adamant that he was suspended anyway. he didn't play in Wexford league game because another card in that match would have made him ineligible for 1st. champ. match. So i'd say he's gone ok. looks like we will be playing away in that match too.

dead_as_dodos (Carlow) - Posts: 459 - 05/06/2017 14:08:30    1995021

Link

Is Brendan Murphy suspended for the next match? I am hearing conflicting accounts?

Bainisteoir (National) - Posts: 480 - 05/06/2017 17:12:54    1995114

Link

I also would love to have seen jimmy mcguiness 's views on how we executed his blanket defence doctrine

From what I remember, he was very complimentary of how Carlow set up and stuck to their plan. It was noted that we tried to break at speed most of the time when we did win the ball, especially in the first half. He said Carlow asked questions which Dublin couldn't answer.

I think our approach was correct. Outsiders might say we didn't try to play, but any of us who have been there for years will know we've tried to play blanket defence in the past and were hammered by failing at the basics of catching and kicking. It was a delight to see us winning ball and breaking out of the back. And also knowing when to slow it down and regroup. We are getting smarter, and that is the main thing to take of this championship for me so far. Yeah, we didn't get many scores on Saturday but against out own standard (Wexford) we've shown we can put up good scores.

Sgt.Pepper (Carlow) - Posts: 79 - 05/06/2017 18:27:36    1995165

Link

Replying To Hometown45:  "I heard he was gone anyway. But again heard other stories too.

Came away from PL happy I must say. All things considered it was as much as you could ask for. Some things went wrong and the scoring threat wasn't great but at the end of the day you are playing one of the best teams of all time. They may not have been as sharp as they will in August but they were still by far and away the best team this group of Carlow lads ever played. I'm really looking forward to the qualifiers. I think they will learn a lot from that experience"
While I must compliment your positivity ... best set of Carlow players ever? You must be young.

moll (Carlow) - Posts: 153 - 05/06/2017 18:42:27    1995172

Link

Replying To Hometown45:  "I heard he was gone anyway. But again heard other stories too.

Came away from PL happy I must say. All things considered it was as much as you could ask for. Some things went wrong and the scoring threat wasn't great but at the end of the day you are playing one of the best teams of all time. They may not have been as sharp as they will in August but they were still by far and away the best team this group of Carlow lads ever played. I'm really looking forward to the qualifiers. I think they will learn a lot from that experience"
May I withdraw that last post. On re-reading you are correct.

moll (Carlow) - Posts: 153 - 05/06/2017 18:44:40    1995174

Link

The most minor of offence, a Category I, doesn't merit any game bans. It's defined as when a player is sent off for a second bookable offence but a two-week suspension will be given to repeat offenders.
Category II offences, which get a one-game, or two-game ban for repeat offenders, covers issues such as striking or attempting to strike with arm, elbow, hand or knee, striking or attempting to strike with a hurley, with minimal force, kicking or attempting to kick, with minimal force, behaving in a way which is dangerous to an opponent, spitting at an opponent, contributing to a melee or abusive language towards a referee, umpire or sideline official. That should cover most matches we watch every summer.

In my opinion, Brendan was shown 2 yellow cards, when he was shown the second yellow he then had to be shown the red card to signal to him that he had to leave the field.
If was going to get a further match or two suspension then after the first yellow he would have been shown a red card only. That's my understanding of it, nothing more than that.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 2161 - 05/06/2017 18:54:41    1995184

Link

Replying To supersub15:  "The most minor of offence, a Category I, doesn't merit any game bans. It's defined as when a player is sent off for a second bookable offence but a two-week suspension will be given to repeat offenders.
Category II offences, which get a one-game, or two-game ban for repeat offenders, covers issues such as striking or attempting to strike with arm, elbow, hand or knee, striking or attempting to strike with a hurley, with minimal force, kicking or attempting to kick, with minimal force, behaving in a way which is dangerous to an opponent, spitting at an opponent, contributing to a melee or abusive language towards a referee, umpire or sideline official. That should cover most matches we watch every summer.

In my opinion, Brendan was shown 2 yellow cards, when he was shown the second yellow he then had to be shown the red card to signal to him that he had to leave the field.
If was going to get a further match or two suspension then after the first yellow he would have been shown a red card only. That's my understanding of it, nothing more than that."
So is he gone as a repeat offender then? If it's 2 weeks for that, he should be back in time? yeah!

dead_as_dodos (Carlow) - Posts: 459 - 05/06/2017 19:49:13    1995214

Link

Moll, I think that post said Carlow were facing the best team ever, not that it was the best Carlow team ever. Regards Brendan's suspension, I don't know the ins and outs of the disciplinary process, but I do remember last year he missed the Cavan game through suspension, did he get sent off towards the end of the Wicklow game? It escapes me...

fergie (Carlow) - Posts: 1102 - 05/06/2017 20:49:29    1995248

Link

Replying To dead_as_dodos:  "So is he gone as a repeat offender then? If it's 2 weeks for that, he should be back in time? yeah!"
It's my beleive he will be available, I'll be shocked if he's not, but stranger things happen.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 2161 - 05/06/2017 21:46:53    1995277

Link

Of course he didn't exactly go quietly so there may be a danger he could be reported for verbally abusing officials after being sent off. If he is reported for that then he could face a lengthy suspension. His record will count against him if he comes to it. McGeeney recently got 12 weeks for abusing a linesman.

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1242 - 05/06/2017 22:12:41    1995291

Link

The reason I said stranger things happen is because, didn't Richard Cody get 12 weeks for an incident last January after a Walsh cup game where there was no Physical contact made, and no verbal abuse he just, questioned/commented on a decision when the game was over, Pat English was furious over the suspension but the suspension still stood.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 2161 - 05/06/2017 23:38:04    1995330

Link

I do not know the ins and outs of the disciplinary system but if the TV is used then Brendan could be in more trouble and could have an extension added to a suspension if the powers look at the TV footage. It is clear that he has said a few things that could extend any possible suspension.

carlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 1521 - 06/06/2017 18:39:45    1995860

Link

Brendan's suspension has been lifted and he is now free to play v London. The CHC upheld a Carlow appeal that his first yellow should not have been given.

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1242 - 14/06/2017 08:38:14    1999409

Link

Many here heading to London? Any updates on the team/injuries? I have seen a few of the lads started club league games or come on at half time, but don't think anyone got injured. Good to keep them ticking over. With Brendans suspension lifted we should be at full strength for Sunday.

Losing at home to London in league should do away with any complacency here as we are well aware what they can do if we have an off day. While it cost us a shot at promotion, that loss actually comes back around to help us now as the management and panel will not let that happen again.

The Real 1944 (Carlow) - Posts: 1114 - 20/06/2017 19:42:50    2002739

Link