Carlow Forum

O' Byrne Cup 2013

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Bainisteoir yeah a long absence all right, a whole three days. he was playing against Dublin. maybe you should attend some more games instead of being a keyboard warrior.

pennypincher (Carlow) - Posts: 777 - 10/01/2013 10:53:40    1316153

Link

Ya Penny Pincher I wasnt at the Dublin game - see earlier post - it must have been about 2 years since I last saw willie starting... not too many from Carlow at the game last night ... some of us actually put our money where our mouth is and actually made the trip up, 'tis handy to go into the county grounds for a match when you have no family commitments and so on ...

I think you are being unduely harsh on the set up, they are trying to play a more direct game this year and maybe when some of the others return a better shape will come on the forward line. This potentially is the strongest panel we have had in years if some of the players you mention return - I agree we dont have a clinical edge up front but barr one or two who won't commit we don't have that quality of player in the county. It is easy to be critical but some of those players are travelling long distances to training and making big personal sacrifices - we won, down to 13 men ... it is only January !!

Bainisteoir (National) - Posts: 477 - 10/01/2013 12:16:40    1316239

Link

Fair enough bainisteoir, but I was there last night also. Everyone knows we have lads playin who are not up to inter co. standard. The annoying thing is when you see lads on the line who are better than these guys who are being picked because of club loyalties by selectors. the best team we can put out IMOis Oreilly or pal keeper P.murphy Lawler K. Nolan gannon. Redmond B. kav. B. murphy M.Ware Ruth. Foley J. Murphy Smith hayden B. Murphy.
I know hayden is playing great stuff at centre but he is too valuable a forward and we dont have that many and in any case Redmond cant play anywhere else.I would leave St ledger as sub as I believe he doesnt contribute enough apart from frees. Dont know if all of these are available for league but thats team I would start if they are.

pennypincher (Carlow) - Posts: 777 - 10/01/2013 13:21:14    1316299

Link

Pennypincher - unless i am going mad Willie Minchin didnt play against Dublin? He was down in the programme alright but he didnt feature - i dont think he was introduced as a sub?

didnt make it to match last night but its good to get any sort of a win I guess especially when you go down to 13 men. Well done to Carlow IT as well for their win against Wexford. Its hard to know what to take from these matches really as we have won quite a few matches in the O'Byrne Cup before and ended up doing nothing in the league! So I think I will wait like the rest and see how we are 2/3 games into the league. Anyone able to give the starting 15 - did Shane Redmond play midfield again, did we have an extra man in front of fullback line like against Dublin?

dual supporter (Carlow) - Posts: 772 - 10/01/2013 13:21:34    1316300

Link

there have been so many false dawns in this month in the past, im thinking 08 and 02 and 04. 08 was in particular springs to mind, new manager some good early showings against dublin wexford and clare in the first round of the league, then we collapsed. so il see what happens in the early rounds of the league, if by game 3 we are still doing ok then we may be showing signs of improvement.

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1286 - 10/01/2013 14:11:19    1316360

Link

Didn't make it to the game yesterday.. I heard Derek Hayden was outstanding playing behind the half back line.. Can someone tell me who played well and who was poor..

Optimist2013 (Carlow) - Posts: 24 - 10/01/2013 15:28:50    1316442

Link

we finished bottom of the group

oldburrin (Carlow) - Posts: 221 - 13/01/2013 17:36:40    1317666

Link

oldburrin
County: Carlow

You're fairly sharp today with your contribution...

carlowforsam (Carlow) - Posts: 50 - 13/01/2013 17:41:40    1317671

Link

Thats an awful hidin we took today. Couldnt make it , glad now. Not surprised TBH, as we were dreadful in bray against a brutal Wicklow side. WE are not capable of scorin goals as we have no pace in forwards. Anyone there tpoday that could put up team.

pennypincher (Carlow) - Posts: 777 - 13/01/2013 17:45:45    1317674

Link

Your own county didn't set the world on fire either oldburrin.

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1228 - 13/01/2013 17:51:32    1317682

Link

Carlow County Board have some cheek taking 10 euro off people for that match today! What a load of rubbish. You can come up with all the excuses you want but theres at least half of that panel that are not intercounty standard and for the life of me i cannot understand how some of them were even asked in to join the panel? Not blaming the lads themselves as any lad will try his best but i'm afraid unless the management can keep a certain 15 free from injury we havent a snowballs chance in hell of progressing out of Div 4.

dual supporter (Carlow) - Posts: 772 - 13/01/2013 17:55:07    1317683

Link

Couldn't make it to today's match but I hear it was desperate fare. Quite an inexperienced team by the look of it but at least now we will have the college tied players back and we need them. btw what is the story with Barry Lambe, a revelation last year I thought but hasn't appeared yet as far as I know. Is he college tied/injured or not available does anyone know?

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1228 - 13/01/2013 17:58:07    1317685

Link

Craig Kearney, Kevin Byrne, Shane Mernagh, Tony Bolger, Kieran Nolan, Shane Redmond, Martin Doyle, Eoghain Ruth, Darragh Foley, Ciaran Moran, Paul Reid, Derek Hayden, Keith Hession, Willie Minchin, Daniel St. Ledger. Subs Benny Kavanagh, Alan Kelly, Barry John Molloy. Derek Hayden played behind half back line - no idea why - he would have been more use in middle of field today where we were winning almost nothing. As regards an inexperienced team well i can count 9 players who have been playing intercounty football for several years now.

dual supporter (Carlow) - Posts: 772 - 13/01/2013 18:45:32    1317718

Link

Barry Lambe is out with a cruciate knee ligament injury.

hurlingguru (Carlow) - Posts: 1820 - 13/01/2013 19:10:57    1317739

Link

Thanks Guru, that's a blow. That's three out with cruciates, Barry, Cormac Mullins and Paul Cashin. Could do with them all.

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 1228 - 13/01/2013 19:33:16    1317761

Link

Onion Breath - Cormac Mullins isnt injured anymore he is just not going into county this year. You can add Brendan and Brian Murphy to the list of injuries - they both got injured last week and are out for a while!

dual supporter (Carlow) - Posts: 772 - 13/01/2013 20:04:05    1317783

Link

Terrible stuff today no doubt about that, since Luke Dempsey left his post nothing has either changed or improved for the better of Carlow football, in fact I would say since Pat Deering resigned his position with the Carlow Co Board things have taken a nose dive and the fall out from that is to say the least not helping Carlow football. During the last year of Luke Dempseys tenure as Carlow football manager no one seems to have learned anything from Dempseys negatives / positives, I am not going to go into it for the obvious reason, what I will say is, after our game with Dublin I came away nervously optimistic about the NFL, after to days game I came away a nervous wreck and with no positives about Carlow football.
The prediction I make is, not alone will we fail to get out of div.4, but if we win anymore than one game out of seven it will be nothing short of miraculous, and it pains me to say that, I'll hang in there for our game against Tipp. and then have a final look.
PS. We claim to be a football county if that's the case, then when are we going to show signs of improvment

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 2067 - 13/01/2013 21:16:14    1317845

Link

Lads, it's only January. Promotion was never won in January. It will take Anthony a while to put his stamp on things.

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2772 - 14/01/2013 10:13:40    1317910

Link

wheres that corner gone we were suppose to have turned

oldburrin (Carlow) - Posts: 221 - 14/01/2013 10:39:33    1317925

Link

jesus that was awful yesterday, we were wiped out in midfield once again, it's hard to blame the forwards as they were out numbered 3 to 1 most of the time. we keep handpssing the ball around the middle of the field, that will cost us loads of goals in the league, after 3 games it would appear to be as you were. now i know we were without some players yesterday but that is no excuse for such a performance from what is meant to be a county team

it astounds me that after 4 years of dismal failure under the last regime we continue on the same path with similar tactics, if thats what you want to call them, we are far to narrow and slow in our attacks we keep stacking the forwards in a line down the middle, which has been proven not to work time and time again, i understand that the game has changed and that players must fall back but then atleast spread the forwards you do have out so as not to make it so easy for the opposition to double or treble team them

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1286 - 14/01/2013 11:59:48    1317994

Link