Carlow Forum

O' Byrne Cup 2013

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

1944 - Is that Brian Carbery from Eire Og you are talking about - i thought he wasnt asked in? Paul Cashin has still got a long term injury. As far as I know Cormac Mulins and Paul Broderick are not going in. Perhaps someone knows more about these lads?

dual supporter (Carlow) - Posts: 772 - 07/01/2013 20:03:03    1314952

Link

1944 - Is that Brian Carbery from Eire Og you are talking about - i thought he wasnt asked in? Paul Cashin has still got a long term injury. As far as I know Cormac Mulins and Paul Broderick are not going in. Perhaps someone knows more about these lads?

You are right Brian wasn't asked in, and even if he was prob wudn't be bothered at this stage. Cashin and Mullins both did cruciates last year. Mullins got op done so he shud be back by championship time. Cashin hasn't gone for op yet, so he'll be out for the year. Broderick is a fierce waste of amazing talent. carlow need scoring forwards and himself and Eric McCormack are prob best 2 in county to stick over frees and sneak a few goals. Strange that McCormack is not invoved.

The Real 1944 (Carlow) - Posts: 1114 - 07/01/2013 20:46:00    1314987

Link

All those lads you mentioned would make a big difference to Carlow i think and would give the management team more options. Eric McCormack was'nt asked in. Im sure there must be more lads who werent asked. I know Mark Carpenter was asked but said no. Cant blame him he has done more than his bit for Carlow over the yars. I would love to have seen him in as a selector. Think he would have been good.

dual supporter (Carlow) - Posts: 772 - 07/01/2013 20:58:14    1314996

Link

winning ring and kehoe cups and that is suscess..... your joking right

oldburrin (Carlow) - Posts: 221 - 08/01/2013 14:08:32    1315268

Link

Interesting times ahead I think going by Sundays game. A few people Ive been talking to seem very optimistic about this year., but is it too early yet to judge? There was a lot to be positive about on Sunday but also a few worrying trends as well. I would hope we learn from our mistakes on Sunday, although poor starts and lack of concentration at key times to let in soft goals have been there awhile. When we have a full panel to pick from I think we will see a good deal of improvement. Im dissapointed that Ray Walker was deployed into the backs area as I feel our weakest area has been the forwards.However, im glad to see that we are starting to learn to deliver the ball quickly and not hang on to it forever. Tomorrows game against Wicklow will tell another story and the main thing i hope is that we dont get any more injuries.

THE BOSS (Carlow) - Posts: 475 - 08/01/2013 20:06:31    1315557

Link

Any word on a team for tomorrow evening? Hear from good sources that Wicklow will be putting out a reserve team as such...not expecting any of their regulars to be starting. Believe that when i see it.

The Real 1944 (Carlow) - Posts: 1114 - 08/01/2013 20:35:07    1315580

Link

Our backs were bad on Sunday so we need to improve there for starters. K. nolan made a diff. when introduced and lawler will be back for league. Anyone know what the story is re barry Lambe. Think our best sixbacks would come from Lambe, Kavanagh, Lawler, Cashin, hayden, Redmond, nolan,P. Murphy midfield of Murphy Foley and forwards from Ruth, J. Murphy, gannon, Jackson, ST. Ledger, walker, Smith, Reid, B. Murphy,Ware.

pennypincher (Carlow) - Posts: 777 - 08/01/2013 21:54:19    1315636

Link

it was a poor showing on sunday,our midfield was wiped out several players seem to be completely unfit can't see that improving much between now and the tipp game, at times we were slightly more positive than last year but over all it would appear that we are going to keep playing the same system. dublin could have won by much more but seemed happy enough to just coast through the game, derek hayden played well and murphy did well when he came on, our backs were well off the pace and we relied on frees to keep us within sight of dublin, that's how i saw it anyway

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1286 - 09/01/2013 12:21:09    1315759

Link

The Goalkeeper would seem to disgree with you Barrowsider

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=183338

carlowforsam (Carlow) - Posts: 50 - 09/01/2013 14:17:28    1315837

Link

To be fair 'carlowforsam' what would you expect him to say. The reporter asked the question he was hardly going to say anything negative! Im sure you could find similar comments from players about every manager we have ever had (especially at start of year)! Its hard to know what to take from Sundays game v Dublin. They had out an experimental team (most of which wont feature come championship) - the first 20 mins of the match showed the gulf in class between the 2 teams and after that Dublin were in 2nd gear. The positive thing was that Carlow didnt collapse especially after goals went in. I read that Anthony Rainbow was highly complementary of Ray Walkers performance from behind the half back line on Sunday well, I thought he completely took Ray and his skills out of the game and didnt play him to his strengths at all. At one stage there was 14 Carlow men inside their own half with just Daniel St Ledger left in the square! Maybe tonight will tell more about Carlow when they play Wicklow even an understrength Wicklow by the look of their team. Interesting to see how the other counties did who are in our Div. Offaly, Clare, Leitrim all had good wins on Sunday. Dont know where Tipp or Waterford out?

dual supporter (Carlow) - Posts: 772 - 09/01/2013 14:52:48    1315861

Link

A LOT OF DUBS AND MEDIA RAVING ABOUT WING BACK Eric Lowndes St Peregrine's PERFORMANCE AGAINST CARLOW. - HOW HE 1. CAME FORWARD AT EVERY OPPORTUNITY 2.CREATED SCORES AND OPENINGS FOR THE DUBLIN FORWARDS AND 3. WAS TARGET MAN FOR CLUXTON'S SHORT KICK-OUTS.

HE WAS ALSO THE ONLY DUB TO MAKE THE HOGAN STAND TEAM OF THE WEEK.

NO ONE MENTIONED HE WAS THE DUBS FREE MAN FOR THE FULL GAME AS HE HAD NO ONE TO MARK ..... HIS MAN - WING FORWARD RAY WALKER WAS SIITING IN FRONT OF HIS OWN FULL BACK LINE.

SEVERAL DUB SCORES CAME FROM THE LONG BALL IINTO THE FULL FORWARD LINE ... BY-PASSING WALKER.

HOPE THIS IS SORTED SOON .... THAT IT DOESNT COST US GAMES WE CAN WIN. WALKER IS TOO VALUABLE TO TAKE OUT OF THE MIDFIELD / HALF FORWARD LINE.

novalis (Carlow) - Posts: 261 - 09/01/2013 15:51:25    1315914

Link

The report on HS just gives the players qoutes so I didn't see any questions. Anyway having not been at the game it is interesting to see some different views. Some positive and some negative. If there are such contrasting views were all these people at the same game??

carlowforsam (Carlow) - Posts: 50 - 09/01/2013 16:04:37    1315928

Link

Good win for Rainbow's army. Big boost for the year ahead

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2772 - 09/01/2013 21:23:49    1316074

Link

Any reports?what was team? who scored? who got sent off? Any straight reds?

Bimb (Carlow) - Posts: 434 - 09/01/2013 21:27:32    1316076

Link

I predicted a Carlow win (in a previous post) to night after watching our game against Dublin last Sunday, even then not knowing what team Wicklow was going to field against us to night, even though the jury is still out on Carlow football, I think we may have turned the corner, irrespective of what team Dublin fielded against us it's still worth remembering they are the All Ireland side of div 1, we are the relegation side of div.4

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 2067 - 09/01/2013 21:28:52    1316078

Link

a win against wicklow in january is hardly turning the corner, il reserve judgment until 3 games into the league

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1286 - 10/01/2013 10:03:44    1316125

Link

A quick post on the match - dunno if you could read too much into it as this was largely an experimental Wicklow side - still you can only play what it is front of you. Clearly Carlow are moving the ball at speed, kick rather than hand-pass seems to be the style this season, movement off the ball is also very good. Management are very vocal from the line - no harm IMO. Carlow dominated the first half and should have been further ahead at the break however we missed a few scorable points and at least one free. Players to stand out were Derek Hayden - a revelation to me at CHB - his command of his area, ability to read the game and distribution were excellent. He was yellow carded in the second half - I didn't see the incident - but I could hear teammates pleading with not to flare up with the ref - thankfully he had sense. Brendan Kavanagh not listed as playing, was good at wing back - excellent forays forward by him. Darragh Foley at midfield was prominent - red carded - must have been a second yellow ? Andy O'Brien ( I think came on in the second half) made an excellent save. Willie Minchin back in a Carlow jersey after an absence played well in as full forward - seems to have bulked up considerably since I saw him last. I thought we would fold when the two men were sent off, but the penalty save was the turning point. Brendan Murphy steadied the ship when introduced but I think we were dominant throughout the entire match.

The Bray Emmets set up is very impressive and the event was well stewarded -credit where it is due to those involved.

Bainisteoir (National) - Posts: 477 - 10/01/2013 10:27:03    1316139

Link

I was basing the predicted win on our performance against Dublin, I also made the point that the jury is still out on Carlow football and I'm on that jury, a win for us in January against anyone is welcomed, also my mind will be made up after the Tipperary game.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 2067 - 10/01/2013 10:37:52    1316143

Link

- - - forgot to mention we did a lot of it with 13 men normally we would throw in the towel in a situation like that.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 2067 - 10/01/2013 10:42:02    1316147

Link

was at game last nite and it was awful stuff. Wicklow were very poor and were only kept in the game by Carlows inability to score. We are going nowhere with this set up in my opinion. Its the same old laboured build up and then hope we get a free which we are not bad at converting in fairness. The problem is that good defences wont foul anf then we are shagged. We have no pace up front and the whole ethos seems to be to get big men and lorry the ball into them. Ok that the bad bit, the bright spots were hayden at centre back and foley before he was dismissed. The old discipline prob. reared its head again and its not surprising as the amount of fouling allowed in club games in this county is unreal. Players think they will get away with what happens in club games here well they wont and until the ref. issue is solved in this county this indiscipline is going to continue.
The return of B. Murphy, J. murphy, lawler, Gannon, Lambe, Smith, P. Murphy R. Walker will help but they are badly needed. Also ware is worth his place if on form. Murphy and walker did come on in last ten mins. btw.

pennypincher (Carlow) - Posts: 777 - 10/01/2013 10:45:51    1316150

Link