Clare Forum

Championship Game Predictions

(Oldest Posts First)

Championship starting this weekend lads

What is everyone's predictions for round 1 ?

Looking forward to seeing your views.

What is the NAP of the round?

MatchPredictions (UK) - Posts: 24 - 23/07/2020 11:57:20    2284983

Link

Come on lads, lets try predict the winners of the games. What do we think for this weekend?

Love to hear other peoples view on the games. Get your predictions in and help a lad click an aul GAA bet.

MatchPredictions (UK) - Posts: 24 - 28/07/2020 12:01:24    2285544

Link

Replying To MatchPredictions:  "Championship starting this weekend lads

What is everyone's predictions for round 1 ?

Looking forward to seeing your views.

What is the NAP of the round?"
I am sure that by now you know all the winners outright winner will probably come from Bridge/ Cratloe/ Inagh Kilnamona IMO at least, Kilmaley though beaten in first round have a strong squad although W Tones were impressive in their win over Clarecastle.

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 568 - 29/07/2020 16:56:25    2285729

Link

Replying To clooney:  "I am sure that by now you know all the winners outright winner will probably come from Bridge/ Cratloe/ Inagh Kilnamona IMO at least, Kilmaley though beaten in first round have a strong squad although W Tones were impressive in their win over Clarecastle."
Why are Ballyea always left out of peoples thinking when they have won 2 county titles and beaten cratloe, kilmaley and inaigh kilnamona in recent years. Only SMB have proved to be their body side and that is no shame.

They are also the only Clare club to win Munster in the last 15 years or so. Considering they are missing Gudgie, Doohan, Lineen and Connolly from the side won got to croker in 17, they are a credit to their club. Clonlara, Cratloe, Inagh/Kilnamona, Kilmaley...they flop every year depsite all the hype. Id would have more time for Feakle, they always perform, even if they dont win, they go down fighting.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 1026 - 25/08/2020 10:32:59    2289046

Link

Replying To Clareman:  "Why are Ballyea always left out of peoples thinking when they have won 2 county titles and beaten cratloe, kilmaley and inaigh kilnamona in recent years. Only SMB have proved to be their body side and that is no shame.

They are also the only Clare club to win Munster in the last 15 years or so. Considering they are missing Gudgie, Doohan, Lineen and Connolly from the side won got to croker in 17, they are a credit to their club. Clonlara, Cratloe, Inagh/Kilnamona, Kilmaley...they flop every year depsite all the hype. Id would have more time for Feakle, they always perform, even if they dont win, they go down fighting."
after watching them dismantle Clooney despite the injuries I have to agree with you Clareman they are a serious outfit
The spine of team especially is vert strong Flanagan/Browne/Murphy & Lillis & Kelly & Deasy up front.

A big strong team with plenty of ball winners & hurlers Gary Brennan a massive addition to any hurling team

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 568 - 01/09/2020 16:55:07    2290101

Link

Problem with Ballyea as we saw yesterday is that they lack hurlers in key positions. They have some fantastic players but some of their squad lacks abit of technical ability. In the big games they are shown up. Iv said it before that theres players on the Ballyea team that wouldn't get on the Sixmilebridge intermediate team , not because they can't play or are good athletes . Its because they have some deficiencies like a poor 'bad' side or striking

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1323 - 14/09/2020 09:55:00    2291952

Link

Replying To bloodyban:  "Problem with Ballyea as we saw yesterday is that they lack hurlers in key positions. They have some fantastic players but some of their squad lacks abit of technical ability. In the big games they are shown up. Iv said it before that theres players on the Ballyea team that wouldn't get on the Sixmilebridge intermediate team , not because they can't play or are good athletes . Its because they have some deficiencies like a poor 'bad' side or striking"
I think that is a fair point Bloodyban, I would also add first touch as an issue for some of the Ballyea lads. However, I do admire teams for over coming deficiencies with heart and work ethic. Those lads have 2 county medals and a Munster medal. Fair play to them.

Brennan was a massive loss to Ballyea but I'm delighted for the Mills and I think the whole county will wish them well on Sunday. I think they will give the Bridge bags of it int he final. Nothing to lose now.

SMB are a machine, they play to a plan, very Davyesque, haven't even scored a goal in 4 games I think, but it works. Fair play to them. Great club.

I think based on yesterday, Ballyea are 5/6 players short. Gary, Gudgie and Doohan would fill 3 of those places but they need to find a few more. Niall Keane was a sub with Cuala in 2017 against his own club, a fine stickman. Its a pity Tony Griffin drifted away, he is playing junior now but super athlete and hurler and could still do a job at senior. Gilly hurled into his 40s at senior for the bridge. Tadgh Lynch and Ryan Griffin have plenty hurling but need to step up more for Ballyea.

I hope some fans can attend the final. It will be a local derby and the Mills deserve as much support as possible.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 1026 - 14/09/2020 14:57:23    2292055

Link

Yeah wouldn't it be great to see a crowd at the game. It would be well deserved for the effort that the Fireballs have put in. Its always good to see a new team make a break through.
Id have to give them a 30% chance of winning. If they start well and maybe get an early goal to settle the nerves then they could win. However there's alot of ways they could lose. If they go 4 to 5 down against the Bridge then it ll be curtains for them. There's a fair chance the Bridge could win by 10 points which I would not like to see.
Have we got a time for throw in?

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1323 - 16/09/2020 14:19:24    2292485

Link

I was out by 2 points.. The Mills never got going. Hard luck to them. The Bridge did their job and took their chances. Game over. The people giving out about the 'Davy' tactics should get involved with their clubs and put their efforts into their clubs because the standard in Clare is dire.

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1323 - 27/09/2020 17:30:32    2294318

Link

I would not say the standard is dire. This years championship was poor alright but outside of NAP, Limerick is poor. Outside of Ballygunnar, Waterford is poor. Tipp and Cork have great shoot outs but lack aggression.

I think its a cheap shot calling the standard dire. The Clare final was a lot more competitive than Limerick and KK finals.

Sixmilebridge play to a way that suits them and you cant argue. Fair play to them. Great club. Same with KIB in football.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 1026 - 28/09/2020 10:54:14    2294463

Link

Replying To bloodyban:  "I was out by 2 points.. The Mills never got going. Hard luck to them. The Bridge did their job and took their chances. Game over. The people giving out about the 'Davy' tactics should get involved with their clubs and put their efforts into their clubs because the standard in Clare is dire."
Standard of yesterdays final was Dire indeed, the bridge method is well known C Morey sits in pocket Sheana Morey darts upfield every so often some good balls into no 13 B Corry, Malone chips in with 3 points Jamie Shanahan sits deep great striker gets you couple of points, no goal threat really, but scores 20 odd points limits opposition to 15/16 played with 4 forwards yesterday Mills kept 6 backs for most of game.

I have always thought that to beat them you have to take on this tactic go up and mark the sweeper C Morey make it a dog fight if necessary play your best players deeper yesterday the Mills had two good corner forwards they were starved of possession in second half Cratloe fell into same trap last year.

The Davy method is clinical and boring at times but he is a master at tactics Ballye would have tested them with Gary Brennan i feel.

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 568 - 28/09/2020 11:01:02    2294466

Link

Replying To Clareman:  "I would not say the standard is dire. This years championship was poor alright but outside of NAP, Limerick is poor. Outside of Ballygunnar, Waterford is poor. Tipp and Cork have great shoot outs but lack aggression.

I think its a cheap shot calling the standard dire. The Clare final was a lot more competitive than Limerick and KK finals.

Sixmilebridge play to a way that suits them and you cant argue. Fair play to them. Great club. Same with KIB in football."
Its no slur on anyone. 3 times the Bridge gzve away goal chances and the Mills didn't come close to taking 1. Let's get real here. Sneada Morey who people say was excellent gave away the ball twice and missed a handy point and goal. Malone who was voted man of the match missed 2 points my granny would put over with her walking stick. And the Bridge were by far the more competent team. The Fireballs were Intermediate standard.
Kilmallock,Na Piarsaigh, Patrickswell and Doon are all ahead of thst Clare Standard. Sixmilebridge could knock off Doon and maybe Kilmallock..i doubt they would actually. They certainly wouldn't beat Patrickswell and they wouldn't beat Na Piarsaigh.
I cant talk about Tipp or Waterford but I would bet all four Cork County semi finalists and Sarsfeld's and Imokilly would win Clare ..all of em

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1323 - 28/09/2020 18:55:12    2294610

Link

Patrickswell have done nothing in Munster in recent times. In 2017 they got beaten by Glen Rovers who Ballyea hammered in the Munster final. Bar last year when they were very poor, the Bridge have lost by 1 point to NAP in 15 and Ballygunnar in 18. Ballyea lost to Ballygunnar in extra time by 2 points in 2018 and were down key men. Kilmallock pipped Cratloe in a thriller in 2014 but conditions helped the home side. They got destroyed by Ballyhale following Paddys Day. The general consensus was that Cratloe's dual exploits cost them a shot at the All Ireland and probably costs them most years.

Doon are a fine skillful team but likes of Ballyea, Bridge even a fully tuned in Cratloe would beat them well. NAP are a cut above everyone in Limerick and Munster but the other Limerick sides arent hectic. That is my opinion and I back it up with facts.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 1026 - 29/09/2020 13:09:17    2294729

Link

Replying To Clareman:  "Patrickswell have done nothing in Munster in recent times. In 2017 they got beaten by Glen Rovers who Ballyea hammered in the Munster final. Bar last year when they were very poor, the Bridge have lost by 1 point to NAP in 15 and Ballygunnar in 18. Ballyea lost to Ballygunnar in extra time by 2 points in 2018 and were down key men. Kilmallock pipped Cratloe in a thriller in 2014 but conditions helped the home side. They got destroyed by Ballyhale following Paddys Day. The general consensus was that Cratloe's dual exploits cost them a shot at the All Ireland and probably costs them most years.

Doon are a fine skillful team but likes of Ballyea, Bridge even a fully tuned in Cratloe would beat them well. NAP are a cut above everyone in Limerick and Munster but the other Limerick sides arent hectic. That is my opinion and I back it up with facts."
Sorry I meant 2016 and 2018 for Ballyea and 2015 and 2017 for the Bridge respectively.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 1026 - 29/09/2020 13:54:58    2294738

Link