Antrim Forum

What should our footballers do next?

(Oldest Posts First)

I think we can all agree its time for a serious change in the county, the board do sweet FA and the fact that some players in particular dont want to play for their county is a joke and wouldnt happen anywhere else!!! What should be done?

saffron94 (Antrim) - Posts: 5 - 13/06/2013 15:11:00    1405814

Link

Or other players who are not allowed to play when they have family commitments yet still bend over backwards to get to a match

frankbhoy77 (Antrim) - Posts: 1300 - 13/06/2013 18:09:12    1406002

Link

as an outside looking in Antrim is precieved as a hurling county. so football is always going to play second fiddle. in the ulster u-21 club championship
held in creggan earlier this year, St. Johns played an amalgamation of two junior clubs from monaghan. the monaghan side beat naomh eoin easily.
one of the excuses i heard from the johns about their poor preformane was the a majority of the team had played a hurling match the previous day.
to me that sum up antrim football. now monaghan are no big shakes but it would be unheard of for any player to play a hurling match the week prior to
a club championship match not to talk of an ulster club championship. at 18 years of age if you serious about playing , to either pick football or hurling
you can choose both, In armagh hurling as destoryed clubs teams like keady. Keady had a bigger population than crossmaglen. but if you drive through
keady all you see are you lads carring hurls. Keady win almost everything in armagh at under age in hurling. but at football they can't compete.
so young lads choose hurling because they win.

bigbarneyross (Monaghan) - Posts: 135 - 14/06/2013 15:03:05    1406640

Link

Hurling is a better sport and more aimed at outscoring the other team... maybe thats why the kids make that decision

saffsabu (Antrim) - Posts: 27 - 14/06/2013 19:19:54    1406942

Link

bigbarneyross

The Johnnies have the best record in the county for success at both codes, it is hard to find the right balance in club terms but it certainly isn't helped by an incompetent county board that rarely if ever schedule fixtures to the benefit of the clubs. Last Sunday when we played yourselves at Casement, half the county were preparing for a round of club hurling fixtures, once again forcing people to divide loyalties for the day when it could easily have been switched. I know a lot of youngsters who want to play both codes who are pressured into choosing one ore the other, our minor football team are getting tanked regularly because they are missing most of the key players to the hurling team because the football manager said you cant play both! If Eoin Cadogan can play both codes at senior level for Cork I don't see why our county has to be so narrow minded on the issue, particularly at underage when a players opportunity for development is at a key period. Nobody works together here, egos and grudges everywhere, with the county board standing over it with a gallon of petrol. Nothing has worked so any direction from here has to be an upwards one.

Topa_the_left (Antrim) - Posts: 250 - 15/06/2013 12:41:22    1407179

Link

Our footballers (those who are selected) could try and play a brand of football whereby it encourages attacking the opposition in a coherent and productive manner. Dawson makes no secret of his preference of a target man but there is not much point in the so called target man running 30-40 yards away from gaol to take a hand pass from an attacking half back and half forward and then to be surrounded by 4-5 opposition backs: only once did we open up Monaghan defence last week: we never played the ball intelligently into space forward the inside forwards to run onto and when we did passes were either over hit or under hit; the likes of Kerry, Tyrone Donegal Dublin play decent ball into their inside forwards and seldom do you see them running out to the 45 to take a pass: the inside line also suffered from a severe lack of support as our half forwards are to defense minded; if Dawson can rectify this between now and the qualifiers maybe we could score more than 3 points from play.

KevHill (Antrim) - Posts: 271 - 15/06/2013 18:43:01    1407365

Link

What should they do next? Go away and find another sport/pastime/hobby because, like the hurlers, they are an embarrassing laughing stock. Antrim is one big joke and I will never go near another senior county game in either code and waste my time and money.

Ulsterman (Antrim) - Posts: 9294 - 16/06/2013 17:51:45    1407975

Link

Louth away in the qualifiers then. Everyone is writing us off already, but there is no way we can perform as badly as we did against Monaghan. Think it will be a very close game

antrimman91 (Antrim) - Posts: 127 - 17/06/2013 14:29:44    1408857

Link

Louth will beat us easily.

M Lyster (Antrim) - Posts: 421 - 17/06/2013 15:35:20    1408937

Link

Don't hold your breath Antrim 91

KevHill (Antrim) - Posts: 271 - 17/06/2013 16:58:45    1409068

Link

Lads don't be so negative towards your team. We only beat you after extra time in Drogheda in 2004. The last time we played yourselves in the league you beat us so this will be close enough. There are 2 divisions between us in the league but this is championship football lads league does not count

joej (Louth) - Posts: 1562 - 17/06/2013 17:00:08    1409070

Link

Joej - it may sound negative to those outside the County but unfortunately for us within its border it is just being realistic.

Offside_Rule (Antrim) - Posts: 4028 - 17/06/2013 21:21:59    1409432

Link

Hopefully it will be a good game not so long ago you s were in a ulster final.i think the gaa should pump money in to you s after you s are the second biggest city in ireland and money brought dublin to were it is now

Midlu1 (Louth) - Posts: 790 - 18/06/2013 16:10:40    1409995

Link

Just catching up on posts now. I do believe that Bigbarnerross has a point. Antrim has always been a dual county playing hurling and football. However regardless of the fact that some players have been able to play both sports at a high level, few have exceeded in both.There are
players from my own club, St John' , Rossa and LD could have been selected for both codes at county level. However in the modern game we are producing good players when we need players of excellence. As a juvenile coach I see young people playing football, hurling, soccer and basketball for school and clubs. They will be good but never great at all these sports. And a lot are burned out or have serious injuries by 21. Perhaps we need to have an open and adult conversation about this issue and also look to see if our clubs strategy supports our county strategy, if one exists.

galled (Antrim) - Posts: 251 - 19/06/2013 11:02:36    1410508

Link