Antrim Forum

Ulster SHC

(Oldest Posts First)

And so finally after 21 long baron years the Shamrocks collected the Volunteer Cup beating Cushendall in a scrappy final. With the pressure of the county final saga over them and 'the monkey off the back' an outstanding performance followed last Sunday against Down champions Ballygalget. Winning by 11 points, which could and should have been closer to the 25 mark if it hadnt been for some bad decisions by the ref plus bad misses by out forwards, in particular 2 goal chances. Keady have now suprisingly made there way to the Ulster final after beating a Lavey team that suprised many in making it out of Derry. Armagh hurling has had a great year with the county's minors and u21 teams maing it to the provincial finals, their seniors lifting the Nicky Rakard cup and now Keady making it to the club final. A repeat of the performance against Ballygalget should see Keady off though they must be given respect for making it this far and should not be taken lightly. Anybody giving Keady any hope or is the general view that this is a fore gone conclusion?

DukeNukem (Antrim) - Posts: 34 - 17/10/2010 20:24:01    798273

Link

I think its a fore gone conclusion, Keady by 10

jesusjones (Antrim) - Posts: 385 - 18/10/2010 08:47:39    798350

Link

we have had big surprises in hurling this year, who could see portumna getting defeated in galway? Ballyhale not making it out of kilkenny? or sarsfeilds getting beat in cork? i think keady by a point, and id put a fiver on robert magee to get the final point of the game for the armagh champs. com on. year of the underdog.

ARDSHURLER05 (Down) - Posts: 86 - 18/10/2010 14:47:27    798667

Link

Sarsfields won the Cork Championship...............

Crazy Legs (Antrim) - Posts: 56 - 19/10/2010 08:46:44    799180

Link

shows loughgiels luck by getting on paper the easiest ulster final ever. no disrespect to keady but they will get hammered and if loughgiel dont then they wont be serious contenters for all ireland sucess as they need to be destroying teams like this.

as for all the teams whos out in the other sections it wont matter come next feb as no doubt the 3 who win and make up the other semi final spots will be top quality sides

Dunloyrealist (Antrim) - Posts: 498 - 19/10/2010 09:06:55    799193

Link

with portumna and ballyhale out loughgiel have a genuine chance of the all ireland.

Dhuibh (Down) - Posts: 281 - 19/10/2010 14:49:24    799514

Link

So Loughgiel are now lucky. They have an easy run through and thats it. This team lost 6 finals in a row. No they are not lucky. They are Antrim champions by right because they earned it. This just shows the petty squabbles and jealously that exists in Antrim. Loughgiel cannot dictate who they meet or play. It is simply out of their control. What they can try to control is beat whoever they play. On Sunday that is the Armagh champions Keady. Yes Loughgiel are overwhelming favourites but so would Dunloy or Cdall had they been playing, so get over it. As for all-irelands. If we win on Sunday anything after woud be a bonus. I know one thing is for sure we will definately prepare well and give it one hell of a lash. Why not sure we'd have nothing to lose.

Good luck on Sunday boys.
Up the Shamrocks

tommoore (Antrim) - Posts: 10 - 19/10/2010 15:35:26    799564

Link

Dunloyrealist...........what's this about luck,we hammered Dunloy and Ballygalget and scraped through against Cushendall.We beat all the teams that were in with a chance.I accept that Dunloy are a spent force now that nearly all that squad who were so successful have retired,but Cushendall are still pretty strong.Why is there always a reluctance in Dunloy to accept the inevitable.

bushwhacker (Antrim) - Posts: 261 - 19/10/2010 15:45:51    799575

Link

whos jealous? i said they were lucky to get the easiest ulster final ever, which is fact. whats the problem with that? i havent seen their semi final nor will i see their final nor do i have any interest if they win or lose. our seasons well over.

Dunloyrealist (Antrim) - Posts: 498 - 19/10/2010 15:47:48    799577

Link

Good luck to all Antrim teams in their respective finals especially my own club Cloughmills. I saw this on the Inniskeen website and though how sad it was a pub from Andersonstown rd wishing the monaghan team all the best for sunday!! I know they are only trying to get business but how pathetic!!!

Date: Tuesday 19th of October 2010, 9:57 pm, GMT +1
Name: biddy duffy's

just like to wish your club good luck in the final on sunday. also if your hunger and thirst gets the better of you biddy duffy's is a great family pub with great beer, food and craic located just 50 yards from the ground. hope to see you there many thanks

Cmills Fan. (Antrim) - Posts: 508 - 20/10/2010 08:49:51    800033

Link

bushwhacker whats this hammered nonsense you speak of over us? we played prob the worst ive ever see and you beat us by 7 points. 7 points a hammering? christ your clutching at straws there.

also dunloy a pent force! lol hilarious. we have 4 players over 30 on the team and were spent! lol the rest of the teams in their early 20's, much the same as your squad tho in the same fact your best players are now approaching or well in their 30's. i assume by your previous statements they are now a 'spent' force.

enjoy winning for the first time in near 30 years because the rest of us want our championship back that you have a lend of!

Dunloyrealist (Antrim) - Posts: 498 - 20/10/2010 09:04:33    800041

Link

its Loughgiel's year. I feel their strenght and dept will see them through. I think Keady have done well to get this far but this is were it will all end

Also best of luck to cloughmills, however i cannot see them beating the monaghan side who have a two corner forwards that would melt any defence.

uladh (Antrim) - Posts: 10 - 20/10/2010 14:24:19    800295

Link

Er, dunloyrealist, shamrocks average is age is 23. And when you're starting a county semi final with A. Elliot, L. Richmond, G O'Kane et al, I'd have to agree with bushwhacker.

Seamroga (Antrim) - Posts: 62 - 20/10/2010 18:27:34    800543

Link

There is a credit crunch on at the minute, businesses have to drum up custom in many different ways! Biddy Duffy's is a good spot for a pre/post match pint.

ar_an_chnoc (Antrim) - Posts: 142 - 20/10/2010 21:43:22    800698

Link

have to say Uladh you could be right about inniskeen but then again Cloughmills usually have a very good forward line themselves and 2 men do not make a team its a 15 man team game and i would like to think the likes of smiley, laverty and mickey d who were all on the antrim county panel this year will step up and inspire cloughmills to a victory, but it wont be easy as any team who gets to an ulster final deserves it and that includes Keady to. remember they were down by 11 points at one stage and a man down for the 2nd half and any team that can have the grit to come back from that has to be taken seriously.

against thehead (None) - Posts: 36 - 21/10/2010 08:35:33    800720

Link

against thehead
County: All

800720 have to say Uladh you could be right about inniskeen but then again Cloughmills usually have a very good forward line themselves and 2 men do not make a team its a 15 man team game and i would like to think the likes of smiley, laverty and mickey d who were all on the antrim county panel this year will step up and inspire cloughmills to a victory, but it wont be easy as any team who gets to an ulster final deserves it and that includes Keady to. remember they were down by 11 points at one stage and a man down for the 2nd half and any team that can have the grit to come back from that has to be taken seriously.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Ye i agree but i think cloughmills rely on smiley too much. From what i hear iniskeen have 10 county men on their team. They have a free taker that rarely misses from any distance & angle. I wonder will cloughmills defence be able to cope with the iniskeen forward line

uladh (Antrim) - Posts: 10 - 21/10/2010 11:36:59    800857

Link

no disrepect to monaghan hurling but cloughmills semi final opponents beat burt and setanta on the way to the donegal title and if memory serves me correct both of them teams backboned the donegal county team. so to be honest i dont think it is a big problem how many county men are in either camp. and to answer your question i do think they can cope as they train and cope with the likes of conor laverty, michael devlin and liam kearns at training week in and week out. to be honest it will be a close game and i could see it ending in a draw as both teams are very quick and the open space of casement will suit them both.

against thehead (None) - Posts: 36 - 21/10/2010 13:04:09    800966

Link

Seamroga
3 players? thats it and our squads past it according to a previous poster. lol hilarious.

Dunloyrealist (Antrim) - Posts: 498 - 21/10/2010 13:23:18    800990

Link

I point you towards the phrase "et al" which I also used in my post.

Seamroga (Antrim) - Posts: 62 - 22/10/2010 17:18:41    801979

Link