Monaghan Forum

10 years ago today.....

(Oldest Posts First)

Hard to believe it but it's 10 years ago today that we invaded the hollowed turf at Croker and stood looking up at the Hogan Stand watching Damien Freeman lifting the Div2 trophy believing at the time it was the greatest achievement known to man. It's the day that marked a change of fortune for Monaghan Football and one we shouldn't forget. Easy to look back now and think how insignificant that achievement was in the context of what we've achieved since but that day and the subsequent celebrations are etched in my own mind just as much as Clones 2013 and it showed that we had the ability to compete with the big boys. I remember people from Meath laughing at us for our simplicity and almost felt sorry for us in rejoicing in the occasion.

Who's laughing now .......

GerryD (Monaghan) - Posts: 322 - 01/05/2015 15:03:59    1719510

Link

The Hand of Ward will live long in the memory alright.

patk (Monaghan) - Posts: 875 - 01/05/2015 16:30:02    1719547

Link

Not a great picture but it's after putting a big smile on my face watching it again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZmuOSjrEko

turkeyplucker (UK) - Posts: 137 - 01/05/2015 16:43:33    1719551

Link

I know a lad who met his future wife on the pitch after the game that day. She was up supporting Wexford and had gone down to the pitch, puzzled why all these lads in dingo jeans were buck leaping around after winning a challenge match.
They called the first child Paul...

Eddie the Exile (Monaghan) - Posts: 737 - 01/05/2015 17:51:40    1719573

Link

YES the start of this brilliant era for us Monaghan people,who would of taught.......... a year before that we struggled to beat Carlow in Clones in a dyer game of football with about 150 supporters in the Gerry Arthurs................................

The work Seamus McEnaney put into that team was unreal and he really made them boys stand up and compete with the big boys for 5 years......

Hopefully Malachy and the team might get to lift another title from the Hogan stand later this year???

hardcore (Monaghan) - Posts: 1366 - 01/05/2015 21:59:00    1719613

Link

Yes agreed. Have to hand it to Banty, I think he has to be considered the man who helped the county come from being ranked in the bottom 4 teams in the country to where we are today. Although he never won any championship silverware, I don't think we would be where we have been over the last number of years without a man like Banty to start it off. He also had a lot of players who were willing to give it all for him and the county.

supermon (Monaghan) - Posts: 1071 - 03/05/2015 11:38:12    1719858

Link

Am not taking anything away from Banty and Marty McElkennon and McCarville and co before him. But Monaghan where never in the bottom four in Ireland under Colm Coyle rein. They were under Jack McCarville's. I should know I was in the likes of Carlow,Tipperary, Wexford watching Monaghan lose. I was also in Waterford watching them draw. That was all under jacks terrible rein. Coyle set a foundation which Banty built upon. Under Coyle in 2003 Monaghan were the only team to beat Tyrone that year. They also beat the defending all Ireland champions Armagh. Under Coyle we seen Corey, Dessie, jap and gollogly for the first time in senior colours. Monaghan was in the worst possible place when Coyle took over with mass walk out by senior players, Coyle done great work to get the ship steadied for future management.

shaggylegend (Monaghan) - Posts: 1854 - 03/05/2015 14:16:06    1719902

Link

shaggylegend
County: Monaghan

Am not taking anything away from Banty and Marty McElkennon and McCarville and co before him. But Monaghan where never in the bottom four in Ireland under Colm Coyle rein. They were under Jack McCarville's. I should know I was in the likes of Carlow,Tipperary, Wexford watching Monaghan lose. I was also in Waterford watching them draw. That was all under jacks terrible rein. Coyle set a foundation which Banty built upon. Under Coyle in 2003 Monaghan were the only team to beat Tyrone that year. They also beat the defending all Ireland champions Armagh. Under Coyle we seen Corey, Dessie, jap and gollogly for the first time in senior colours. Monaghan was in the worst possible place when Coyle took over with mass walk out by senior players, Coyle done great work to get the ship steadied for future management.

Thats spot on Shaggy well said

ruthless (Monaghan) - Posts: 593 - 03/05/2015 17:06:49    1719957

Link

I disagree completely with that post Shaggy.To even compare what Seamus done in his first 2 years to what Colm done in his, tells its own story.

Yes Colm took over a county that didnt care too much about the state of their football and what other countys taught of us,we were happy enough to get beaten by Carlow,Wexford,and draw with Leitrim and Waterford.

I was at the game in Waterford and i can tell you for a fact i was in bed long before some of the players were........It was a joke and something needed to be done.

Seamus McEnaney wanted the job in 2003,but the County board went for an outsider Colm Coyle.He got a bigger effort from the players in his first year,like every new manager that comes in players always rise themselfs,and they did in 2003 but it didnt last long.

Dessie,Vinny,Jap and jinxsey where coming through anyways,Colm Coyle did not unearth them,any football man would of seen them as county players

We Had to beat Wexford in a league match to be in with a chance for promotion but couldnt do it.......

Yes we beat Tyrone in the 2003 Dr McKenna Cup Final,and beat the All Ireland champions Armagh who were riddled with injuries in the Preliminary round of the Ulster Championship.

We lost a very winnable game to a poor Down team in the next round,just about beat Westmeath ,and got hammered by a finished Meath team.

That was 2003 done with,yes we were a bit better but still had a long way to go....Thats as good as it got for us under Colm..

2004......Back to our very best.....brutal league campain nowhere near promotion,suffered our biggest defeat in Ulster against a fully fit Armagh team,15 points that day and in truth should of been 25......leading Longford by 4 points in injury time and ended up losing by 8 in extra time.....We were back to where we started,easly beaten and a soft touch to go with it.

Thats what Colm Coyle's 2 years here done for us.

So to say he had a major role played in what happened to this county from 2005 to this very day is wrong and very surprising from a very committed Monaghan supporter like yourself shaggy.I know you dont like Banty personally but to credit Colm with anything to do with 2005 doesnt make sense.

Seamus McEnaneys first job was to red out all the crap that was let happen,get 30 men who wanted to wear the jersey and who were fit to wear the jersey and prove that they would do anything to become winners,No party...No boozze.... total committment to what was needed......just ask Dessie Mone!

Promotion in the league,Division 2 league title.......an a last 12 apperance in Croke Park now thats progress and pride restored.Yes 2006 was tough but you were playing the best in the country and we were very unlucky in the games against Kerry and Tyrone.

Seamus McEnaney,Gerry McCarville,Gerard Hoey,Bernie Murray and Mat Mohan (FKM) were the driving force behind what happened 10 years ago

They set the standard to Which lead to the committment and effort every Monaghan footballer has put into themslefs and the team for the best part of 10 years,which has now seen us ranked in the top 5 in the country.

hardcore (Monaghan) - Posts: 1366 - 04/05/2015 19:01:33    1720193

Link

Am not getting into this Colm Coyle took over when Monaghan were at the bottom not Banty. And if you were in Waterford you would know that it was McCarville over the team. Banty always played we were the 29th best team in Ireland card. Am not detracting what he done.

shaggylegend (Monaghan) - Posts: 1854 - 04/05/2015 21:03:22    1720229

Link

shaggylegend
County: Monaghan

Am not getting into this Colm Coyle took over when Monaghan were at the bottom not Banty. And if you were in Waterford you would know that it was McCarville over the team. Banty always played we were the 29th best team in Ireland card. Am not detracting what he done

Your not giving him much credit either.....i cant believe you could even bring Colm Coyle into what happened in 2005

Read my post again,it clearly states who was in charge when we played Waterford,as i said something needed to be done after that shambles that the county board went for OUTSIDE management in Colm Coyle.

If you are as you claim to be a die hard supporter of the county team you like everyother person who followed Monaghan during that period will know noting much changed when Colm took over,yes the players put in a little more effort but the results stayed the same.

Colm Coyle record for 2003-2004 was, 1 Dr McKenna cup title,1 Ulster championship win,1 Qualifier win and nowhere near promotion from Division 2B (ie Division 4)

Colm Coyle took over when we were at the bottom in 2003,and he left us there in 2004 when he walked away,
Fact.

No progress was made until 2005,when the list of Monaghan men i mentioned took over and started to build what we have today.

It was Monaghan men who got us rolling not a Meath man

hardcore (Monaghan) - Posts: 1366 - 05/05/2015 14:14:07    1720401

Link

I feel like I'm stepping into a drama here.. Both Coyle and Banty did their bit for Monaghan.. I don't know what Coyle did to deserve this criticism, he was no Eamon McEnaney or Jack. and he did not leave us in a worse shape than when he started,
"know noting much changed when Colm took over, yes the players put in a little more effort but the results stayed the same" It sounds as if you are admitting there was an improvement but you don't really want to admit it. I'd say the team performed 100% better than with Jack, their was more heart in the team and a lot more fight and they were led by someone who players all enjoyed playing for.. ask any of them..
and just a correction.. for someone who followed the team during this period, Division 2B (ie Division 4) It was not Division 4

Farney (Monaghan) - Posts: 741 - 05/05/2015 17:58:43    1720569

Link

Am not going to argue a point I didn't take away from bantys achievements I just said it wasn't rock bottom as banty and some supporters believed. I will continue to give Coyle credit. In Armagh Brian Canavan and Brian McAlindan laid the foundations which Joe Kernan built on, just like in Tyrone Eugene McKenna and Art McCrory laid the foundation for Micky Harte. Coyle done more in two years than eamon mcenaney done in two terms and a lot more than Jack McCarville.

shaggylegend (Monaghan) - Posts: 1854 - 05/05/2015 18:05:03    1720572

Link

Longford in '04 was one of the darkest days, up there with Fermanagh '02

Adler (Monaghan) - Posts: 753 - 05/05/2015 21:17:03    1720654

Link

Im not criticising Colm Coyle,im giving my opinion on what happened 10 years ago and how we got there and how it shaped the next 10 years of football in this county.

Shaggy can give credit to Colm if he wants too,but i find it strange coming from a fella who maintance he followed Monaghan football that we were not at rock bottom when Banty took over........2005 we had to play London,Leitrim,Clare,Carlow,Longford........if thats not rock bottom football what is.

To compare former Armagh and Tyrone managers with Colm Coyle for building foundations for winning All Irelands is now complete madness from Shaggy.

Armagh and Tyrone were winning Ulster titles under those managers before they left......We won 2 championship matches for god sake!

Thats my final say on this,cob smacked isnt the word,but i know the reason why shaggy hasnt anything good to say about the man who raised Monaghan football from the grave........short memories!!

hardcore (Monaghan) - Posts: 1366 - 06/05/2015 12:15:55    1720796

Link

I was actually at this game.
I brought my nephew from Meath for his 13th birthday and his younger brother 11.
It was a game that went both ways and as he Meath fans on the hill broke into a chorus of come on you boys in green, Paul Finlay kicked the last kick of the game.
I'll never forget the shock on every meath fans face when he ball ended up in the back of the net. I thought the ref would blow for a square ball and it seemed to take the umpire an absolute age to lift the green flag.
you couldnt write the script !!

Looking forward to the big match in Breffni. May the best team win ! We've taken two major scalps recently in New York and London !!!!!!!
I hope its a great game .If there's a shock on the day, I hope it's in our favour :-)

StirringIt (Cavan) - Posts: 374 - 06/05/2015 16:45:00    1720954

Link

I remember that day with great memories. I always remember my brother at the final whistle turned to me & said "We're back". .. & how true it was!

However, I remember going down earlier that year, in the Spring, to watch Monaghan v Clare, in Ennis. Monaghan hammered Clare by 17-18 pts( Clare were then a better team than presently, would have been in running for promotion, if they had won) . That was the day I felt, Monaghan football, was at last on the up!... great memories!

Monaghan Exile (Monaghan) - Posts: 404 - 07/05/2015 11:46:59    1721136

Link