Mayo Forum

Where to now?

(Oldest Posts First)

Ok we were not going to keep winning Connacht forever and it's common a winning run can come to an end when least excepted. But it is the manner of the defeat that worried me. We just looked totally flat. Maybe the wear and tear has caught up with this team who have given us so many great days over the past 5 years. Gameplan looked non existent but when players are flat it can appear that way.
I like to look at body language and when Galway got their goal our head's dropped, players and fans and Galway smelt blood.

So the question is can we turn things around and power through the qualifiers or are we doomed again?

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 10417 - 20/06/2016 09:21:21    1869315

Link

Replying To yew_tree:  "Ok we were not going to keep winning Connacht forever and it's common a winning run can come to an end when least excepted. But it is the manner of the defeat that worried me. We just looked totally flat. Maybe the wear and tear has caught up with this team who have given us so many great days over the past 5 years. Gameplan looked non existent but when players are flat it can appear that way.
I like to look at body language and when Galway got their goal our head's dropped, players and fans and Galway smelt blood.

So the question is can we turn things around and power through the qualifiers or are we doomed again?"
This mayo squad has given us supporter's fantastic memories over the last few years. However, I believe that they completely underestimated the threat that Galway would pose. No matter how much a manger or selector can tell a team to watch out for the threat of the opposition, if all the commentators in the media keep saying the same things about mayo walking through Connaught, then as a player this can creep into your mind set. Like Roscommon last year, the mayo guys took their eyes of the ball and instead looked toward the Roscommon game.

Could this defeat be a blessing in disguise? The answer is absolutely not. Do you think that Dublin or Kerry would prefer to lose their provincial crown? With any game you lose, no matter what people say, a loss is a loss.

A number of issues I believe aided mayo's defeat on Saturday

1. The timing of the appointment of Rochford.
Do not forget Rochford was only appointed as Mayo boss 6 months ago in December. No matter what people say most, if not all, intercounty teams have a fitness and training plan in place at this stage. Did mayo have anything similar? I know the players would have been training themselves but was there any structure to it.

2. The number of injuries that Mayo have had since the start of the year.
Coupled with the run of Castlebar to the all-Ireland club final, the number of injuries that Mayo have had has prevented Rochford from picking certain players during the league.

3. U21 Success. This has also prevented Rochford from utilising some of the U21 panel during the League. I know that DOC, Conor Loftus and Stephen Coen are part of the Mayo panel; however, I would expect that more of these players would be called into the senior panel for next year such as S Cunniffe, L Irwin and M Ruane.

4. Changing the panel. Due to Rochford's late appointment, did he get a chance to fully review the panel presented to him. There are certain players that have given great service to Mayo but I feel there time is up. Kevin Keane, Jason Doherty, who I defended earlier during the league when playing poorly, and Alan Freeman, I believe have shown that there are good players but not up to inter county standard. In addition, Andy Moran and Alan Dillion, I feel will finally hang up there boots at the end of this year. Rochford will have to make some tough calls with the addition of new players. He has a three-year term so I would expect to see some changes for the next back door game for the starting 15. It is time to see how string the squad really is.

Giveitago (Mayo) - Posts: 86 - 20/06/2016 10:31:15    1869383

Link

Replying To Giveitago:  "This mayo squad has given us supporter's fantastic memories over the last few years. However, I believe that they completely underestimated the threat that Galway would pose. No matter how much a manger or selector can tell a team to watch out for the threat of the opposition, if all the commentators in the media keep saying the same things about mayo walking through Connaught, then as a player this can creep into your mind set. Like Roscommon last year, the mayo guys took their eyes of the ball and instead looked toward the Roscommon game.

Could this defeat be a blessing in disguise? The answer is absolutely not. Do you think that Dublin or Kerry would prefer to lose their provincial crown? With any game you lose, no matter what people say, a loss is a loss.

Do not forget Rochford was only appointed as Mayo boss 6 months ago in December. No matter what people say most, if not all, intercounty teams have a fitness and training plan in place at this stage. Did mayo have anything similar? I know the players would have been training themselves but was there any structure to it.

Coupled with the run of Castlebar to the all-Ireland club final, the number of injuries that Mayo have had has prevented Rochford from picking certain players during the league.

3. U21 Success. This has also prevented Rochford from utilising some of the U21 panel during the League. I know that DOC, Conor Loftus and Stephen Coen are part of the Mayo panel; however, I would expect that more of these players would be called into the senior panel for next year such as S Cunniffe, L Irwin and M Ruane.

4. Changing the panel. Due to Rochford's late appointment, did he get a chance to fully review the panel presented to him. There are certain players that have given great service to Mayo but I feel there time is up. Kevin Keane, Jason Doherty, who I defended earlier during the league when playing poorly, and Alan Freeman, I believe have shown that there are good players but not up to inter county standard. In addition, Andy Moran and Alan Dillion, I feel will finally hang up there boots at the end of this year. Rochford will have to make some tough calls with the addition of new players. He has a three-year term so I would expect to see some changes for the next back door game for the starting 15. It is time to see how string the squad really is."
This panel still has plenty left. The age profile is good and they have alot of experience from the last 5 seasons. Also there are u-21s chomping at the bit. Now is the time for home truths and clear heads. Looking forward to the draw next Monday. One game at a time now. Up Mayo

unclegerry (Mayo) - Posts: 1204 - 20/06/2016 16:08:42    1869757

Link

Jaysus lads ! No one died on Saturday evening last. Ye lost a game. Ye were in control and contrived to throw it away. Ye did some laughing and gave us some stick when Sligo beat us last year so now at least ye know how it feels to have the shoe on the other foot. Any way ye just could have the blessing of an alternative route and it wouldn't surprise me if ye were in the long grass for.Galway or Roscommon further on on the champion ship. Ye won't begrudge the Nestle Cup to the Ros or Galway for a year anyhow!!

moros (Roscommon) - Posts: 1002 - 20/06/2016 18:01:59    1869827

Link

Sorry NESTOR cup
It's being so long since we've won it !

moros (Roscommon) - Posts: 1002 - 20/06/2016 19:24:17    1869866

Link

where to Now ? well that's in the players hands, apart from Boyle the players didn't try on Saturday, you don't win games unless you give 100% and Mayo didn't even give 50% the last night.

culmore (None) - Posts: 1398 - 20/06/2016 21:06:47    1869918

Link

Replying To Giveitago:  "This mayo squad has given us supporter's fantastic memories over the last few years. However, I believe that they completely underestimated the threat that Galway would pose. No matter how much a manger or selector can tell a team to watch out for the threat of the opposition, if all the commentators in the media keep saying the same things about mayo walking through Connaught, then as a player this can creep into your mind set. Like Roscommon last year, the mayo guys took their eyes of the ball and instead looked toward the Roscommon game.

4. Changing the panel. Due to Rochford's late appointment, did he get a chance to fully review the panel presented to him. There are certain players that have given great service to Mayo but I feel there time is up. Kevin Keane, Jason Doherty, who I defended earlier during the league when playing poorly, and Alan Freeman, I believe have shown that there are good players but not up to inter county standard. In addition, Andy Moran and Alan Dillion, I feel will finally hang up there boots at the end of this year. Rochford will have to make some tough calls with the addition of new players. He has a three-year term so I would expect to see some changes for the next back door game for the starting 15. It is time to see how string the squad really is."
Why have you put up the same post on numerous thread topics, once is enough to read your numerous excuses for management... The back room team is virtually the same from previous year the only change was to medical team and selectors that in no way takes players any time to adapt as methods are the same.. Rochford knew well before December the appointment was his. He was the only one to go for the position for gods sake so don't be fooled into thinking they started late... You have blamed everything in your post but management where I feel so hey have to ship their fair share of the blame... Every team has injuries and players who like to be heard that why you have a strong manager to deal with these issues

Robroy1 (Leitrim) - Posts: 121 - 21/06/2016 00:04:11    1869994

Link

In fairness to this Mayo team we really cannot fault them in anyway especially with the effort and days out they have given us for the last five years. I for one am looken forward to a trip around the country for wherever the qaulifiers bring us. We have proven were some of the best supporters out there so nows the time to prove it. Support the lads again even when the heads are down. Let's see what the draw brings next Monday

Dangerman17 (Mayo) - Posts: 26 - 21/06/2016 06:17:15    1870005

Link

in relation to point 4. From an outsider I would take Doherty and Freeman in forwards ahead of COC if there was transfer system, Best freetaker in Ireland but a passenger apart from that.

Pingcity (Longford) - Posts: 568 - 21/06/2016 13:05:32    1870164

Link

Replying To Pingcity:  "in relation to point 4. From an outsider I would take Doherty and Freeman in forwards ahead of COC if there was transfer system, Best freetaker in Ireland but a passenger apart from that."
He was far from a passenger against Kerry in 2014, or Dublin last year in fairness to him... People have bad games sometimes. If you want to judge guys on one game then can we judge the Roscommon forwards on the New York game? They had more passengers than the NY subway that day.

TheMaster (Mayo) - Posts: 16187 - 21/06/2016 15:25:14    1870284

Link

Replying To TheMaster:  "He was far from a passenger against Kerry in 2014, or Dublin last year in fairness to him... People have bad games sometimes. If you want to judge guys on one game then can we judge the Roscommon forwards on the New York game? They had more passengers than the NY subway that day."
Ok maybe passenger wasn't the right word to use, but they way people go on about him he doesn't contribute enough from play for me. His brother is better. In 140+ mins last year against Dublin he scored 1-1 from play.
All our forwards were poor in New York I agree and even against Sligo for large parts but we have some very good forwards to come back yet. Anyway best luck for rest of the year

Pingcity (Longford) - Posts: 568 - 21/06/2016 15:37:12    1870301

Link

Replying To Pingcity:  "Ok maybe passenger wasn't the right word to use, but they way people go on about him he doesn't contribute enough from play for me. His brother is better. In 140+ mins last year against Dublin he scored 1-1 from play.
All our forwards were poor in New York I agree and even against Sligo for large parts but we have some very good forwards to come back yet. Anyway best luck for rest of the year"
And what did colm cooper score against them in the final?
Funny, nobody really mentions that. 'Oh but he just had a bad game'...

TheMaster (Mayo) - Posts: 16187 - 21/06/2016 17:09:33    1870364

Link

I put this up earlier in the Galway thread, but it looks like it belongs better in here. A case of careful what you wish for.

Here's the potential horror draw which could await Mayo now as a route to glory: round 2 qualifier Fermanagh in Brewster; round 3 Donegal in Ballyboffey; round 4 Monaghan in Clones; QF Dublin in Croker; SF Kerry in Croker; Final the Rossies in Croker...

Thought I'd inject a bit of light relief at the end... couldn't bring myself to type Tyrone. We'd need to be cursed to get that draw, but we're Mayo and we're well used to lady luck vomiting all over us!

Pericles (Mayo) - Posts: 2258 - 21/06/2016 18:27:57    1870411

Link

Best of luck with that. The Rossie obsession alive and well I see! God it would really kill you lot in Mayo if we were to get out hands on the holy grail before ye. Now it's time to calm down again!!! We're on a different timescale! Hope ye will be shouting for the Ros on July the 10th. We won't be expecting it!!!LOL!

moros (Roscommon) - Posts: 1002 - 21/06/2016 19:20:01    1870421

Link

Replying To moros:  "Best of luck with that. The Rossie obsession alive and well I see! God it would really kill you lot in Mayo if we were to get out hands on the holy grail before ye. Now it's time to calm down again!!! We're on a different timescale! Hope ye will be shouting for the Ros on July the 10th. We won't be expecting it!!!LOL!"
Was roaring ye on, albeit from in front of the telly, in 1980. Again in 2006 I roared Ross minors on from the Cusack (whatever came over me). I take great satisfaction in beating the Ross in Connacht but sometimes it's better the devil you know. You can't know how difficult it was to post that.

Llaw_Gyffes (Mayo) - Posts: 1112 - 21/06/2016 22:06:06    1870511

Link

Cheers!

moros (Roscommon) - Posts: 1002 - 21/06/2016 22:15:07    1870518

Link

If i were from Mayo i wouldn't be hanging my hopes on one u21 team. I follow the u21 championship intently and this years championship was weak compared to the previous few years.
IMO this mayo team has a lot of miles on the clock, mostly successful miles but miles nonetheless. Key players are not past the best. One element that came through the game on sunday was the level of arrogance of the bulk of the mayo players from start to finish. I believe this came from believing you own hype. No one has a divine right to win and the Mayo team should know that better than most.
Mayo fans should be worried because from what i see also roachford has done nothing to temper this arrogance, and probably even more worrying i dont believe he has managed the egos in the dressing room.
Simple fact are they still have no match winning forward someone who will knock 1-3 or so from play in a tight game, and no one on the u21 team looks like they can fill that void. they are killing AOS by playing him in every position in the park.
I would be happy to see mayo win that elusive all ireland, but IMO they are as far away as they every were at the moment.

Jonnycee (Longford) - Posts: 145 - 23/06/2016 14:19:49    1871201

Link