Leitrim Forum

National League 2021

(Oldest Posts First)

One of the few positives from these lockdowns is it provides the opportunity to look back and reflect.

In my eyes there has been huge progress in our senior team over the past 3 years.

Many people are giving Terry Hyland and his coaches the credit for this but I think that may be a little simplistic.

The role of outsiders managing our club teams has in my eyes been the greatest influence on why the standard of football in the county is improving. This has had a particular effect in the teams which have dominated: Mohill, Aughawillan and Manor and a little in Ballinamore who have improved.

We also have got huge turnover from our successful 2014 minor team which won the Connacht league and the Ballinmore PPS school team which had many of the same players and reached an All-Ireland Semi-Final.

We have two outstanding players in Mark Plunkett and Ryan O'Rourke who would grace any team in Ireland and are backed up by the experience of Donal Wrynn, Shane Moran and Paddy Maguire. We now have a team who are physical and tall which is an area we have always struggled in. Although we now have excellent forwards but need some help defensively whereas in Des Dolans years it was the opposite.

Great to hear Oisin Madden and Jack Heslin have re-joined the panel and the likes of Niall McGovern is on an extended training panel. Unfortunately, Domhnail Flynn has stepped away.

We now have more depth and options than ever before. The 6 forwards we have will cause any defence problems and are all able to win their own ball and take scores. Heslin rejoining the team could be significant in my eyes as at times last year we missed pace in our transition from defence to attack and therefore got caught in possession and were stripped of the ball.

Benny Flynn

Oisin Madden Fergal McTague Paddy Maguire

Shane Quinn Jack Gilheaney Cillian McGloin

Donal Wrynn
Pearce Dolan

Shane Moran Mark Plunkett Jack Heslin

Ryan O'Rourke Keith Beirne Darragh Rooney

I think most people will agree with 12/13 of that selection which is a positive as it shows we are becoming consistent and players are sticking with it. Leitrim more than held our own in Division 3 and in different circumstances, we may have stayed up. We should have beaten Tipp in Carrick and we gave a good account of ourselves against Mayo while missing key players and we all know how far both teams made it.
Division Four (if it goes ahead) will be tough this year as we will be facing 3 teams who have each appointed high-profile management teams! But from what I know the lads have really put their heads down and took on their S&C over the winter.

Nothing more I'm looking forward to then getting out to Pairc Sean to support them in 2021

OnTheBank (Australia) - Posts: 161 - 19/01/2021 12:12:48    2328049

Link

I'd have young Paul Keaney in midfield instead of Pearce Dolan , other than that I'd agree 100% . No doubt it is our strongest team for the last ten/fifteen years .

leitrimman1994 (Leitrim) - Posts: 3 - 19/01/2021 22:27:13    2328155

Link

Replying To leitrimman1994:  "I'd have young Paul Keaney in midfield instead of Pearce Dolan , other than that I'd agree 100% . No doubt it is our strongest team for the last ten/fifteen years ."
I really like Keaney and a few more of the Carrick young lads but still think they need another year or two development before they really make an impact at senior inter County level. Hoyland doesn't seem to fancy Dylan but its something he needs to work out as we don't have many players with his skill or athletic ability.

Is Michael McWeeney back in the country? He would make a huge difference!

Any other additions to the panel? I cant wait to see how a few of the youngsters progress like Caleb Duffy and Donal Carey! Think the youngest Cullen is the best prospect in the county and has real speed which is something we don't have much of. Hopefully he is involved and strengthened up.

Great to be speaking positively about Leitrim football again.

GreenMan94 (Leitrim) - Posts: 2 - 20/01/2021 11:10:40    2328179

Link

Sligo will be tricky opposition now with a tricky forward like...checks notes...Emlyn Mulligan

MagnumPIG (Leitrim) - Posts: 131 - 20/01/2021 14:51:07    2328217

Link

Replying To MagnumPIG:  "Sligo will be tricky opposition now with a tricky forward like...checks notes...Emlyn Mulligan"
I heard Mulligan had transferred to some club in Sligo...what is that about??

tonguey (Cavan) - Posts: 188 - 20/01/2021 22:12:27    2328269

Link

what club? nothing on transfer list yet.
He would have to be living or working in the area to get it approved but there is always a way around it

gaelsboy (Leitrim) - Posts: 211 - 22/01/2021 11:47:07    2328479

Link

Replying To gaelsboy:  "what club? nothing on transfer list yet.
He would have to be living or working in the area to get it approved but there is always a way around it"
https://www.oceanfm.ie/2021/01/20/emlyn-mulligan-joining-st-marys-in-sligo/

SeanMacDiarmada (Leitrim) - Posts: 301 - 22/01/2021 21:52:44    2328609

Link

Replying To OnTheBank:  "One of the few positives from these lockdowns is it provides the opportunity to look back and reflect.

In my eyes there has been huge progress in our senior team over the past 3 years.

Many people are giving Terry Hyland and his coaches the credit for this but I think that may be a little simplistic.

The role of outsiders managing our club teams has in my eyes been the greatest influence on why the standard of football in the county is improving. This has had a particular effect in the teams which have dominated: Mohill, Aughawillan and Manor and a little in Ballinamore who have improved.

We also have got huge turnover from our successful 2014 minor team which won the Connacht league and the Ballinmore PPS school team which had many of the same players and reached an All-Ireland Semi-Final.

We have two outstanding players in Mark Plunkett and Ryan O'Rourke who would grace any team in Ireland and are backed up by the experience of Donal Wrynn, Shane Moran and Paddy Maguire. We now have a team who are physical and tall which is an area we have always struggled in. Although we now have excellent forwards but need some help defensively whereas in Des Dolans years it was the opposite.

Great to hear Oisin Madden and Jack Heslin have re-joined the panel and the likes of Niall McGovern is on an extended training panel. Unfortunately, Domhnail Flynn has stepped away.

We now have more depth and options than ever before. The 6 forwards we have will cause any defence problems and are all able to win their own ball and take scores. Heslin rejoining the team could be significant in my eyes as at times last year we missed pace in our transition from defence to attack and therefore got caught in possession and were stripped of the ball.

Benny Flynn

Oisin Madden Fergal McTague Paddy Maguire

Shane Quinn Jack Gilheaney Cillian McGloin

Donal Wrynn
Pearce Dolan

Shane Moran Mark Plunkett Jack Heslin

Ryan O'Rourke Keith Beirne Darragh Rooney

I think most people will agree with 12/13 of that selection which is a positive as it shows we are becoming consistent and players are sticking with it. Leitrim more than held our own in Division 3 and in different circumstances, we may have stayed up. We should have beaten Tipp in Carrick and we gave a good account of ourselves against Mayo while missing key players and we all know how far both teams made it.
Division Four (if it goes ahead) will be tough this year as we will be facing 3 teams who have each appointed high-profile management teams! But from what I know the lads have really put their heads down and took on their S&C over the winter.

Nothing more I'm looking forward to then getting out to Pairc Sean to support them in 2021"
Woulda coulda shoulda, face facts we deserve to be back in Division 4 and did not hold our own in division 3 the table doesn't lie. Despite all these promising players that seem to be coming through year in year out we always fall short when it really matters.

Buzzcagney62 (Leitrim) - Posts: 160 - 23/01/2021 17:12:06    2328658

Link

As previous poster stated we were poor last year but honestly believe we will get promoted again this year.believe that Connor dolan and dara rooney will be are shinning lights.if we can get a footballing number 6 and a packet sweeper/link player we will control alot of this league

Bogger100 (Leitrim) - Posts: 28 - 25/01/2021 23:25:49    2328958

Link

You have a point but there is potential there, application is good and I am optimistic. Remember it took nearly 10 years of progress to get to 94

joeman123 (Leitrim) - Posts: 199 - 26/01/2021 00:02:30    2328960

Link

Replying To SeanMacDiarmada:  "https://www.oceanfm.ie/2021/01/20/emlyn-mulligan-joining-st-marys-in-sligo/"
He must be trying to play in every county at this stage

republicofcloone (Leitrim) - Posts: 277 - 26/01/2021 12:01:29    2328986

Link

I think personally that the National Football league 2021 be cancelled by the GAA. This to be done obviously for public safety reasons and to avoid the spread of Covid. Then take stock in July/August time and run the championship off similar to last year if given the all clear.

Buzzcagney62 (Leitrim) - Posts: 160 - 27/01/2021 08:19:30    2329101

Link

Replying To Bogger100:  "As previous poster stated we were poor last year but honestly believe we will get promoted again this year.believe that Connor dolan and dara rooney will be are shinning lights.if we can get a footballing number 6 and a packet sweeper/link player we will control alot of this league"
Pray tell what is a packet sweeper?

republicofcloone (Leitrim) - Posts: 277 - 27/01/2021 08:55:01    2329102

Link

Replying To republicofcloone:  "Pray tell what is a packet sweeper?"
Sorry republic of cloone."full package".ie a holding no 6 who can play a bit of ball when needed to link defense into attack.wayne mc iron type player.must have football between his ears

Bogger100 (Leitrim) - Posts: 28 - 27/01/2021 12:31:47    2329137

Link

Replying To republicofcloone:  "Pray tell what is a packet sweeper?"
Typo error Wayne mc keon

Bogger100 (Leitrim) - Posts: 28 - 27/01/2021 12:32:39    2329139

Link

Replying To Bogger100:  "Sorry republic of cloone."full package".ie a holding no 6 who can play a bit of ball when needed to link defense into attack.wayne mc iron type player.must have football between his ears"
Isn't that what any good number 6 has always done??? What are there terms on these things nowadays? Sure any good centre back holds when needs to and Goes on attack to support when openings arise. It's common sense. No need to have a name on everything

tonguey (Cavan) - Posts: 188 - 27/01/2021 13:20:17    2329149

Link

Replying To tonguey:  "Isn't that what any good number 6 has always done??? What are there terms on these things nowadays? Sure any good centre back holds when needs to and Goes on attack to support when openings arise. It's common sense. No need to have a name on everything"
Sorry "tunguey".your totally correct.its common sense.re a number 6.but we here in leitrim haven't had one in a few seasons.thats all.alot of football is easy on a screen and key board.full package at no 6 is simple.but getting one onto a pitch is a little bit more difficult

Bogger100 (Leitrim) - Posts: 28 - 27/01/2021 23:07:28    2329259

Link

Replying To tonguey:  "Isn't that what any good number 6 has always done??? What are there terms on these things nowadays? Sure any good centre back holds when needs to and Goes on attack to support when openings arise. It's common sense. No need to have a name on everything"
Sorry "tunguey".your totally correct.its common sense.re a number 6.but we here in leitrim haven't had one in a few seasons.thats all.alot of football is easy on a screen and key board.full package at no 6 is simple.but getting one onto a pitch is a little bit more difficult

Bogger100 (Leitrim) - Posts: 28 - 27/01/2021 23:07:38    2329260

Link

That clarke lad that plays for ye would do us grand

Bogger100 (Leitrim) - Posts: 28 - 27/01/2021 23:17:03    2329262

Link

I doubt there will be a ball kicked the year

Anto45metres (Leitrim) - Posts: 12 - 28/01/2021 15:55:04    2329379

Link